Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #101
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
So weird we get a no name for Birds of Prey which features some of DC’s most important characters, and then Spielberg for a movie about Z-listers that no one wants to see
I do.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #102
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limonade View Post
What you're talking about is more or less having faith regardless of their previous attempts.

Rather than taking a critical eye on their ability to plan a slate of films that can cohesively work themselves into a larger narrative.

But there's nothing there for us to say whether this new attempt will work or not... so I assume you take the blind faith path--that this will work out in the end.
Mmmm...no. It's not faith, it's assessing the obvious points of their plan in relation to the latest project that has been announced to have secured a director. That project involves key connections within the Batman mythology.

I didn't say the plan would be successful, or that it has been to date.

I don't pretend to be able to see the future. I also don't really see the point in assuming that something will or won't work before we ever see the execution of it.

-Me

Last edited by The Guard; 04-17-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #103
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The Blackhawks is a pretty perfect concept for Spielberg. And the movie will doubtless provide an opportunity for any number of "era specific" characters to show up. And who knows, maybe their friend Wonder Woman will stop by to wish them luck. Vandal Savage for the villain, methinks.
I suspect Blackhawk isn't going to be set in the DCEU, it'll be more like a fun WWII film in the vein of Indiana Jones

Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #104
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

The Guard... how's that Cyborg movie coming along?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #105
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
The Guard... how's that Cyborg movie coming along?
I don't know, I don't work for WB.

While we're on the subject...where's the Hawkeye film? A War Machine movie? How's that Sub Mariner film project doing? Is there going to be another Hulk solo?

Plans change sometimes. No one ever said that every film WB would like to make was developing according to plans they set several years ago, which have clearly changed due to the reaction to BVS and arguably JUSTICE LEAGUE.

What does the state of CYBORG have to do with Birds of Prey, and Birds of Prey in context?

This film has a director and movement.

-Me

Last edited by The Guard; 04-17-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #106
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
I'm not interested in the past. I'm interested in what it looks like they're doing moving forward. In other words, the current plan.

I don't see how Birds of Prey or its inclusion is remotely directionless in context. Especially when the direction is mentioned in the articles announcing it (help to intro Batgirl prior to a solo).

Aside from the obvious connection to SUICIDE SQUAD with Harley Quinn, there's a clear desire at WB to make films featuring the characters of the Batman mythos. In various stages of development over the last year or two, there's been:

THE BATMAN
BATGIRL
NIGHTWING
THE JOKER
BIRDS OF PREY
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS
HARLEY/JOKER

How is a film that fits RIGHT into that, and maybe even provides an effective launching point for other related films evidence of WB being "directionless"?
You’ve got blind faith, others are logically cynical based on the events that have unfolded in the past. Neither approach is right or wrong. It just seems silly to argue about this when neither of you have any idea of how things are really going behind the scenes.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #107
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Oh, I know who they are thanks to a certain Birds of Prey member. My question was in jest to your last line of your post.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #108
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mmmm...no. It's not faith, it's assessing the obvious points of their plan in relation to the latest project that has been announced to have secured a director. That project involves key connections within the Batman mythology.

I didn't say the plan would be successful, or that it has been to date.

I don't pretend to be able to see the future. I also don't really see the point in assuming that something will or won't work before we ever see the execution of it.
I mean, yes... like previous attempts they've had plans. And so do they now.

So long as WB keeps following trends or changing their direction with every audience testing they have... it's hard to share this sentiment that you have.

So far WB has been hands off with Aquaman, so there's that.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #109
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limonade View Post
I mean, yes... like previous attempts they've had plans. And so do they now.

So long as WB keeps following trends or changing their direction with every audience testing they have... it's hard to share this sentiment that you have.

So far WB has been hands off with Aquaman, so there's that.
I don't know what sentiment you're referring to. I never said anything about the quality of the plan.

I merely pointed out that the plan is not, in its basics, inherently "directionless.

-Me
Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #110
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwo View Post
I suspect Blackhawk isn't going to be set in the DCEU, it'll be more like a fun WWII film in the vein of Indiana Jones
Ok, so their friend, non-DCEU Wonder Woman can stop by to wish them luck.

-Me
Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #111
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

DCEU's direction:

Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #112
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
I'm not interested in the past. I'm interested in what it looks like they're doing moving forward. In other words, the current plan.

I don't see how Birds of Prey or its inclusion is remotely directionless in context. Especially when the direction is mentioned in the articles announcing it (help to intro Batgirl prior to a solo).

Aside from the obvious connection to SUICIDE SQUAD with Harley Quinn, there's a clear desire at WB to make films featuring the characters of the Batman mythos. In various stages of development over the last year or two, there's been:

THE BATMAN
BATGIRL
NIGHTWING
THE JOKER
BIRDS OF PREY
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS
HARLEY/JOKER

How is a film that fits RIGHT into that, and maybe even provides an effective launching point for other related films evidence of WB being "directionless"?
And I'm looking at past behaviour and results where they've had plans in place only to scrap them later on. So, forgive me if I'm not exactly convinced any of these films will see the light of day, nor should anyone be surprised when people are skeptical of these announcements anymore.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #113
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
And I'm looking at past behaviour and results where they've had plans in place only to scrap them later on. So, forgive me if I'm not exactly convinced any of these films will see the light of day, nor should anyone be surprised when people are skeptical of these announcements anymore.
Plans change.

I didn't ask you to be convinced that the film would happen.

I pointed out that there's a pretty clear method to the madness behind their approach. I only addressed the "directionless" portion of your comment.

This is the way film development works. I would imagine that the people who are skeptical of the announcements of films in development either:

A. Don't understand the way that film development works, or accept the realities behind it.
B. Are just jealous of Marvel's pipeline and upset that DC's films haven't been executed in a similar manner.

Can't help with either of those issues.

What is there to be skeptical about here, exactly? They're developing a movie. If the movie happens, great. If it doesn't...that's the business. Sometimes that happens, in cinema and in life. Things don't always work out the way we want them to.

-Me

Last edited by The Guard; 04-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #114
jmc
away for a while

There's no method in having 4 Harley Quinn related movies in production. That is overkill. Nor is there any method in having all these Batman films with no idea where Matt Reeves' Batman movie stands amongst it all, nor is there any logic in having two different Jokers. When you lay it out like this none of it makes any sense, all it is is just a slate of titles that may or may not relate to each other.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #115
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
There's no method in having 4 Harley Quinn related movies in production. That is overkill. Nor is there any method in having all these Batman films with no idea where Matt Reeves' Batman movie stands amongst it all, nor is there any logic in having two different Jokers. When you lay it out like this none of it makes any sense, all it is is just a slate of titles that may or may not relate to each other.
I mean, there's a fairly obvious method to putting four Harley Quinn films into development; They wanted another Harley Quinn film. There's no concrete information that all four Harley Quinn projects will be made. They seem to have employed a sort of writer's room approach and sought multiple scripts for projects, which is the way WB has worked in the past. This is the one that has excited the studio, and potentially, Robbie herself, so it's moving ahead.

Just because YOU don't know where Matt Reeve's Batman movie fits in here doesn't mean that Matt Reeves and WB don't know.

There are already several versions of The Joker. The world spins on.

I can't really argue how Batman, Nightwing and Batgirl movies being developed in tandem doesn't make sense and keep a straight face.

I guess that rather than wait and see how it all fits together, some of you have chosen to make assumption after assumption about it. Carry on.

-Me
Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #116
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I do.
Me too
This news has me HYPED

Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #117
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
So weird we get a no name for Birds of Prey which features some of DC’s most important characters, and then Spielberg for a movie about Z-listers that no one wants to see
Aren't the majority of the directions for superhero films, no names? Lol

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #118
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
I mean, there's a fairly obvious method to putting four Harley Quinn films into development; They wanted another Harley Quinn film. There's no concrete information that all four Harley Quinn projects will be made. They seem to have employed a sort of writer's room approach and sought multiple scripts for projects, which is the way WB has worked in the past. This is the one that has excited the studio, and potentially, Robbie herself, so it's moving ahead.

Just because YOU don't know where Matt Reeve's Batman movie fits in here doesn't mean that Matt Reeves and WB don't know.

There are already several versions of The Joker. The world spins on.

I can't really argue how Batman, Nightwing and Batgirl movies being developed in tandem doesn't make sense and keep a straight face.

I guess that rather than wait and see how it all fits together, some of you have chosen to make assumption after assumption about it. Carry on.
You’re doing exactly what you’re condemning in your last two sentences. You’re just more on the positive end

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #119
Guts
Gul

Out of all the comic book characters, Blackhawks are the one that fits best in Spielberg's wheelhouse. I don't see why a person shouldn't be excited about it.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #120
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
Out of all the comic book characters, Blackhawks are the one that fits best in Spielberg's wheelhouse. I don't see why a person shouldn't be excited about it.
It’s not because people wouldn’t be excited about it they just are extremely skeptical it will be made. They announce two movies a month, with directors attached to almost all of them. No reason to be excited about any announcements such as this or Birds of Prey until they actually either make good films, or start making films they say they will in general.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #121
misslane38
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
It’s not because people wouldn’t be excited about it they just are extremely skeptical it will be made. They announce two movies a month, with directors attached to almost all of them. No reason to be excited about any announcements such as this or Birds of Prey until they actually either make good films, or start making films they say they will in general.
That sounds like a personal problem. You don't want to get your hopes up, because you don't like or handle disappointment well? That sucks, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. I don't think that's a good enough reason for WB to keep secrets, as some others seem to want. It's okay to not be excited though.

Last edited by misslane38; 04-17-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #122
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
Oh I'm excited for it if it's a standalone movie.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #123
Boom
I got nothin'

Yeah. Just take the announcement at face value and move on with your life. No harm, no foul.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #124
mclay18
Side-Kick

Does anyone think Christina Hodson got Batgirl because the studio responded well to Birds of Prey? I mean, Bumblebee got greenlit relatively quickly because Paramount liked it so much.

Perhaps WB should put her on retainer for writing more DC films if her scripts continue to excite the studio.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:06 AM   #125
MbJ
Side-Kick

That is allegedly exactly what happened. When it was first announced some of the news outlets claimed she was chosen to write Batgirl because WB went crazy over her BOP script.

Closed Thread