The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #101
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Default Re: Smallville Underappreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
dagger?? no, I don't think there was a dagger.

there was a Kryptonian "8" medallion and when Clark touched it, he started sharing memories of his dad when Jor-El was in Smallville in 1961 and had a brief but ill fated romance with Louise ( who looked like Lana ).
Ohhh that was that episode sorry mate misread.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #102
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ohhh that was that episode sorry mate misread.
no probs.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #103
BH/HHH
You Are My World

See as though X Knight is watching the series through I'll blackout this:

Just watched the episode Onyx, one of my favourite all-time episodes. Well I didn't realise there was a little Dark Knoght Returns reference in the episode with a little play on words mind

"I want you to remember that despite all your amazing powers, there was one man that beat you" - Lex Luthor (the evil counterpart)

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #104
LaughterLives
Banned User

After being accused of having a biased for this show, I decided to revisit for the first time after 12 years.
When I was younger I used to adore this show but it was around season 5 that I fell off. Life got in my way and I just never picked it up again. No reruns or nothing.

Anyways. I've been sort of binge watching it when I can for the past 2 months now. I am Currently in the middle of season 6. I just finished the episode called Combat.

I just wanted to share that I can't believe how nostalgic I got and how I fell in love with the show all over again. Its crazy to me how much of it I actually remember and how it stuck. Not gonna lie doh, it was by season 4 where I got real sick of the whole "It wasn't me," "I wasn't myself" scenario's that every character went thru on the show was so0o0o0o0o0oo0 over killed in this season. It almost made me stop watching. But if you knew how much I love Erica Durance, I'm sure you'd understand why giving up was not an option.
This show really captured something special.

Anyways, I'd be happy to discuss the show as I'm going thru it from a refreshed perspective.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #105
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
After being accused of having a biased for this show, I decided to revisit for the first time after 12 years.
When I was younger I used to adore this show but it was around season 5 that I fell off. Life got in my way and I just never picked it up again. No reruns or nothing.

Anyways. I've been sort of binge watching it when I can for the past 2 months now. I am Currently in the middle of season 6. I just finished the episode called Combat.

I just wanted to share that I can't believe how nostalgic I got and how I fell in love with the show all over again. Its crazy to me how much of it I actually remember and how it stuck. Not gonna lie doh, it was by season 4 where I got real sick of the whole "It wasn't me," "I wasn't myself" scenario's that every character went thru on the show was so0o0o0o0o0oo0 over killed in this season. It almost made me stop watching. But if you knew how much I love Erica Durance, I'm sure you'd understand why giving up was not an option.
This show really captured something special.

Anyways, I'd be happy to discuss the show as I'm going thru it from a refreshed perspective.
glad you are enjoying your nostalgic binge.

I'd love to discuss the show with you, as I too am binge watching the entire series.

I just started Season 5. I agree about Season 4 - I felt it was the weakest Season so far. It wasn't terrible, but the whole "Stone Crusade" thing kind of felt out of place.

Also, I'm kind of tired of the whole "omnipotent" Jor-El AI. If your AI was so damn powerful, with the ability to even grant and/or deny super powers to people, how the **** did you let Krypton go bye-bye?

The saving grace of Season 4, though, was Lois. She just brings a breath of fresh air to the dynamic instead of Lana, Lana, Lana, Lana. I've enjoyed every Lois and Clark moment so far.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #106
LaughterLives
Banned User

Cool! Nice to know ya.

hahaha! Season 4 was definitely the weakest so far, for me and If they hadn't introduced Lois, I would've stopped watching for sure. That entire season felt like it was just rehashing everything from the episode before it as it went on.
But Hot Damn I love Lois haha!

"Also, I'm kind of tired of the whole "omnipotent" Jor-El AI. If your AI was so damn powerful, with the ability to even grant and/or deny super powers to people, how the **** did you let Krypton go bye-bye?"

hahaha! I hear ya, But their A.I. only seems that powerful and advanced cuz their on Earth, so I like to think about how impressive the catastrophic power must of been to destroy a place like Krypton.

I feel like the writers really didn't know how to handle Jor-El but I actually love the idea of him not having a face. I just like how no one, not even Clark knows what Jor-El really looks like at this point. I also think its a reflection of just how confused the writers were with him so for me it adds this depth that I find hilarious.

"The saving grace of Season 4, though, was Lois. She just brings a breath of fresh air to the dynamic instead of Lana, Lana, Lana, Lana. I've enjoyed every Lois and Clark moment so far."

I had a hardcore crush on Lana when I was a kid and I actually met the chick who plays her years later when I was in college. She was shooting a scene of her Beauty and the Beast show by my school and she's just lovely. No matter how annoying she's become in the later seasons, she just owns a part of my heart. I'll never grow tired of her but after saying that, Lois is everything a man could want! hahaha! She completely stole Lana's thunder and I've never seen a female character on a show steal the spotlight from someone the way she did and so effectively!

I think the show was so0o0o0o0o lucky to have found Erica for this role.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #107
spiderman2
Side-Kick

The interesting thing about season 4 is that in season 2 and 3 the show got less of the freak of the week type of episodes and I think that is over all a big part of why the show got better in those season and also a big reason the show lasted 10 years over all. Season 1 was a nice start but if the show would have just continued with like the freak of the weak it would have gotten to repetitive. Yet season 4 it was kind of like the freak of the weak came back a little bit more and I think that is why the season wasn't has good. Example the episode were the kid like freezes people and tries to keep them in a highschool setting felt more like a season 1 episode. A while back I started going threw the show again and got to about half way threw season 4 and stopped just got bussy with other things. Started watching again like a few weeks ago and I am now up to like early season 5. Once I get threw the full show this time I will have seen ever episode like 5 times or so has season 1-7 episodes I have watched like 4 times on DVD and one time on tv. Season 8-10 more like just 3 times on DVD and like one time on TV.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 AM   #108
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Although season 4 was weak overall it had some of the best episodes in it IMO.

- Crusade, a brilliant season opener, not only does it feature what I still think are some of the best flying FX I've seen but it introduces Lois Lane perfectly.
- Run, we meet (a version of) the Flash in Bart Allen, this is brilliant and Clark shows his mentor/leadership qualities too.
- Transference, Clark and Liobel swapping bodies, it's just fun as hell.
- Onyx, for the first time we see a full on evil Lex Luthor but he has zero goodness in him. We also get a brilliant look to the future between Clark and Lex. It's from here that Lex's evil side starts to win over more often.
- Commencement, this is Smallville's finest hour, if this had been the last episide it would have been a perfect end to the journey. The highlight is when Clark saves that kid from the crashing meteor, it's one of the true Superman moments of the show.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #109
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2 View Post
The interesting thing about season 4 is that in season 2 and 3 the show got less of the freak of the week type of episodes and I think that is over all a big part of why the show got better in those season and also a big reason the show lasted 10 years over all. Season 1 was a nice start but if the show would have just continued with like the freak of the weak it would have gotten to repetitive. Yet season 4 it was kind of like the freak of the weak came back a little bit more and I think that is why the season wasn't has good. Example the episode were the kid like freezes people and tries to keep them in a highschool setting felt more like a season 1 episode. A while back I started going threw the show again and got to about half way threw season 4 and stopped just got bussy with other things. Started watching again like a few weeks ago and I am now up to like early season 5. Once I get threw the full show this time I will have seen ever episode like 5 times or so has season 1-7 episodes I have watched like 4 times on DVD and one time on tv. Season 8-10 more like just 3 times on DVD and like one time on TV.

I think Season 4 replaced the freak of the week gimmick with the whole possessed body/amnesia/under the influence/I wasn't myself/Identity crisis gimmick. Which to me was far worst. It was the same thing every episode, just to a different character(s).
Season 4 had some really great moments, don't get me wrong. I don't think any episode that season was entirely good.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #110
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Season 4 replaced the freak of the week gimmick with the whole possessed body/amnesia/under the influence/I wasn't myself/Identity crisis gimmick. Which to me was far worst. It was the same thing every episode, just to a different character(s).
Season 4 had some really great moments, don't get me wrong. I don't think any episode that season was entirely good.
Wow I wouldn't go that far the episode were clark and Linion switch places was great very entertaining episode and I love seeing Tom play bad guys he is really good at playing bad. Would love to see him play a bad guy in a CBM or something. Also I would say the episode blank was really good to has I always loved Chloe and that episode did a really nice job at showing how much she cares for clark and how she would always protect his secret. The episode were the bad lex is let out was also great. I understand what you are saying about the possessed thing though and yet the whole freak of the week thing didn't bother me in season 1 as I thought it was a nice start to show clark using is powers and helping people how ever by season 4 we had already seen that and Clark already had time to show his powers. If It would have continued it would have gotten repetitive though. About season 4 looking at the episodes I would say episodes 3,4,6,12,13,18,20,21 are felt like season 1 freak of the week episodes and then there are a few more episodes were its like someone is possed. Between like people having powers and doing stuff to people and the possed type of episodes it was like 12 of the 22 episodes were one of those kind of episodes.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Old 07-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #111
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Smallville was a huge part of my teenage years, and I feel incredibly grateful for it.

As a Superman fan, I was excited about it from the first time I saw a teeny article about it's conception in a magazine... I still have a scrap book of cut outs from magazines after that

It was the first (and only) show I ever read episode spoilers for. It was the first show I ever wrote fanfiction about. It was the first show I ever joined a forum (kryptonsite) to talk about how much I loved it... and then later, moan about how much it was annoying me

It was extremely flawed, it wasn't the smartest or most philosophical or coolest show ever. But it was my guilty pleasure.

I also think it was the best portrayal of Jonathan Kent. The best portrayal of a Luthor (Lionel). I loved the Lex/Lionel dynamic. I loved the Clark/Lex friendship in the first couple of seasons. They put out a pretty decent version of Lois Lane in later seasons. And I found Chloe Sullivan to be one of the most relatable characters on television (as a self conscious teenage girl with a series of unrequited crushes myself). I was also a big Ollie and Chlollie fan.

And as much as the portrayal of Clark irritated me at points, the sort of gullible innocence of him was kind of endearing. He was 'cute'. It made it hard to hate on him too much

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 07-31-2017 at 05:57 PM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 PM   #112
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Wow I wouldn't go that far the episode were clark and Linion switch places was great very entertaining episode and I love seeing Tom play bad guys he is really good at playing bad. Would love to see him play a bad guy in a CBM or something. Also I would say the episode blank was really good to has I always loved Chloe and that episode did a really nice job at showing how much she cares for clark and how she would always protect his secret. The episode were the bad lex is let out was also great. I understand what you are saying about the possessed thing though and yet the whole freak of the week thing didn't bother me in season 1 as I thought it was a nice start to show clark using is powers and helping people how ever by season 4 we had already seen that and Clark already had time to show his powers. If It would have continued it would have gotten repetitive though. About season 4 looking at the episodes I would say episodes 3,4,6,12,13,18,20,21 are felt like season 1 freak of the week episodes and then there are a few more episodes were its like someone is possed. Between like people having powers and doing stuff to people and the possed type of episodes it was like 12 of the 22 episodes were one of those kind of episodes.

If that switch happened maybe in season 6 or maybe even earlier than season 4, it might've been more effective for me. You're right about it being entertaining doh.

I was really just saying that by season 4 I was sick of that plot device. They've used it enough in previous seasons, they don't just use it in season 4 but by this season it got overkilled for me. It just pushed it over my limit, haha! It past repetitive after season 3.

Which Villains can you imagine Tom playing?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #113
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
I listed 5 episodes above from Season 4 that were all entirely good episodes.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #114
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
To You.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #115
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
To You.
Each to there own of course but those episode I listed are some of Smallville's most liked by fans. Especially Transference, Onyx and Commencement.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #116
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I believe the show runners felt the show got a bit too dark in season 3 and mentioned something about remembering the show was about teenagers. So they seemed to try to recreate the feel of first season in the first few episodes of season 4 but it felt forced. They even brought back the old Clark wants to play football storyline. The main plot with the stones dragged on too long but the finale was good. Smallville usually had good premieres and finales.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #117
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Each to there own of course but those episode I listed are some of Smallville's most liked by fans. Especially Transference, Onyx and Commencement.
hahaha! No surpriese there, homes. I'm often a minority thinker. Those Episodes had great moments, no doubt but my favs from Season 4 were Pariah, Scare, and Jinx. I really liked what they did with Myxlplyx. Does his character return before the show ends?

O! I really liked Spell too. The women looked so yummy.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #118
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you about those episodes to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I believe the show runners felt the show got a bit too dark in season 3 and mentioned something about remembering the show was about teenagers. So they seemed to try to recreate the feel of first season in the first few episodes of season 4 but it felt forced. They even brought back the old Clark wants to play football storyline. The main plot with the stones dragged on too long but the finale was good. Smallville usually had good premieres and finales.
Yeah and season 3 I think is the best season to lol. Season 3 and then season 2 are by far the top 2 to me. The thing about the stones and such to is that like the last 2 episodes were like filler episodes before the good final.

Quote:
If that switch happened maybe in season 6 or maybe even earlier than season 4, it might've been more effective for me. You're right about it being entertaining doh.

I was really just saying that by season 4 I was sick of that plot device. They've used it enough in previous seasons, they don't just use it in season 4 but by this season it got overkilled for me. It just pushed it over my limit, haha! It past repetitive after season 3.

Which Villains can you imagine Tom playing?
I am not sure I just think Tom is really good at playing bad and could make a really good CBM villain.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:17 AM   #119
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
hahaha! No surpriese there, homes. I'm often a minority thinker. Those Episodes had great moments, no doubt but my favs from Season 4 were Pariah, Scare, and Jinx. I really liked what they did with Myxlplyx. Does his character return before the show ends?

O! I really liked Spell too. The women looked so yummy.
It's all good mate we each have our own tastes

I don't disagree there

Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #120
spiderman2
Side-Kick

On early part of season 5 and one thing that always stood out was that in like the last episode of season 4 and going into season 5 was how cut Chloe became. Season 4 last episode and like the first episode of season 5 Chloe looked her best when she finds clark in his forcturs and she was were very little makeup in those. Before that it was always Lana that I thought looked great. I think the reason I find Chloe to look better during season 5 was they used less makeup on her. I have never liked makeup think it makes most women look worse and in season 5 she like were a lot less. Heck a example of that would be the episode with the vapires at the begging part of the episode she as more makeup on then it cuts to her on her bed with less makeup and she looks much better.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #121
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
On early part of season 5 and one thing that always stood out was that in like the last episode of season 4 and going into season 5 was how cut Chloe became. Season 4 last episode and like the first episode of season 5 Chloe looked her best when she finds clark in his forcturs and she was were very little makeup in those. Before that it was always Lana that I thought looked great. I think the reason I find Chloe to look better during season 5 was they used less makeup on her. I have never liked makeup think it makes most women look worse and in season 5 she like were a lot less. Heck a example of that would be the episode with the vapires at the begging part of the episode she as more makeup on then it cuts to her on her bed with less makeup and she looks much better.
I always thought the was the best looking one on the show, my friends used to tease me about that lol. Her only real competition was that girl who could teleport that Clark ended up marrying. My god was she hot or what.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:13 AM   #122
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I always thought the was the best looking one on the show, my friends used to tease me about that lol. Her only real competition was that girl who could teleport that Clark ended up marrying. My god was she hot or what.
I always thought Lana was the best looking but Chole really got my attention in season 5 lol. Yeah the girl you are talking about was hot. Really a lot of good looking girls on this show lol. Do you remember the native American in season 3 that ended up getting killed and turned into a wolf? She was great looking to.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #123
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Hmm no, I'm not sure who you're talking about. But you're right in that they did get a lot of really attractive girls in a bunch of episodes.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #124
LaughterLives
Banned User

Just finished Season 6! I loved how it ended! I didn't know they did Bizarro on the show. It was such a dope surprise for me!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #125
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Quote:
I always thought Lana was the best looking but Chole really got my attention in season 5 lol. Yeah the girl you are talking about was hot. Really a lot of good looking girls on this show lol. Do you remember the native American in season 3 that ended up getting killed and turned into a wolf? She was great looking to.
I remember the girl you're talking about. She appeared in an episode during Season Two called Skinwalker. It felt like half of season two was spent in those caves.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote