Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #201
lanesrader
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sandman

I think I found Desire. Ruby Rose from OITNB

lanesrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #202
Rorschach2012
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

that'd be good casting!

I don't know if this thing will ever happen tho . probably not any time soon

The CORRECT way to adapt Sandman is by putting it on HBO

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #203
lanesrader
Side-Kick

JGL did a AMA on Reddit and answered some Sandman questions.

Quote:
Question: Thanks for taking your time to answer our questions.
Two quick questions on your Sandman adaptation:
What would you say is the most difficult aspect of translating Sandman to the big screen?
Given the large scope and episodic nature of would you say it is best suited for a big screen adaptation, or would a small screen adaptation fit the bill better?

Answer: I think a big screen adaptation is a better idea and here's why. If you did the episodic version, I think it could very well end up as a not-as-good-version of what is already brilliant in the comics. But by reworking the material into a big movie, Gaiman's brilliant characters and ideas get to take shape in a way they never have before. Also, I think Sandman deserves to look absolutely mind-blowingly awesome, just on a visual level, and as cinematic as some tv shows are becoming these days, they still can't compete with big movies visually, just because they can't afford to.
Quote:
Question: Hey JGL! Glad to see you return and I had two long winded-ish questions for you.
First, I’m a huge fan of Neil Gaiman’s Sandman saga and cannot wait to see how you get this project to the masses. Besides a lack of fist fights, is there anything about your adaptation you can share? I know you got a ways to go to get to A Game of You, but to me it seems like that story in particular would be a nightmare to successfully pitch to the studio (main franchise character basically just has a cameo, female lead, trans issues, etc.). Either way, you can bet I’ll be rooting for you the whole way on that massive undertaking.

Answer:
Yeah, there's tons of little brilliant moments throughout the series, and we certainly can't incorporate all of them. We are using a whole bunch of specifics straight from the comics, but of course, we're also having to do a certain amount of invention, and in between that, there's tons of re-appropriating, re-contextualizing, combining, consolidating, and all manner of things that literalists might not like. But what we try to be completely faithful about is the overall sentiment: that Dreams and Stories and Magic are actually all the same thing, and that they're real, and that they're powerful.

lanesrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #204
geetard
Rebirth

Vertigo DC Movies Like Sandman Going To New Line; Warner Bros Keeps Batman, Superman, Justice League, Other DC Titles
http://deadline.com/2015/06/vertigo-...cs-1201461778/

Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #205
TheNextNolan22
Hurting Really REALLY BAD

That report seemingly confirms what we've all known about:

JGL to direct, produce, and star in Sandman.

Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)/ Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder)/ Suicide Squad (David Ayer)/ Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)/Justice League (Zack Snyder)/The Flash/Aquaman (James Wan) /Shazam!/Cyborg/Green Lantern
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #206
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Rumor: Tom Hiddleston being eyed to play Morpheus.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #207
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I could see it.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #208
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

David Goyer gives an update on the 'Sandman' movie http://trib.al/LY3rsjg

Quote:
Weíre just about to do a new draft. All of the Vertigo properties ported over to New Line a few months ago. There was a decision from the higher-ups that New Line would focus on the Vertigo properties and Warner Bros would focus on the DC properties. So weíre just starting a re-write with a really fantastic writer that fans of your site will enjoy thatís coming aboard, but I canít quite announce it yet.

I think that the Vertigo properties are a bit more quirky and off-center than kind of the mainstream superhero stuff at Warners. But I understand the decision because weíre not having to fight for release dates with the Vertigo stuff like we would have been having to do over at Warner Bros. But I feel confident that film will go into production hopefully next year.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #209
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

JGL, gurl, I love you, but if I don't get more info about this ASAP, you're dead to me.

‏@LOLGOP

The hardest thing is having to teach your kids how to deal with the PC Police. No child should be forced to stop using racial slurs so young
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #210
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Sandman' movie finds its writer http://thr.cm/WwAapv

Quote:
Horror writer Eric Heisserer has been tapped to pen Sandman, New Lineís adaptation of the acclaimed DC/Vertigo comic book that has Joseph Gordon-Levitt on board as director and star.

David Goyer wrote the treatment and a search was conducted to ensnare a scribe to tackle the ambitious translation in what New Line hopes will be a trilogy.
Sandman tells the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams. The comic book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Neil Gaiman, the author of the series, introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters that includes Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).
The book helped establish DC's Vertigo imprint, won several awards, and its success crossed over into the mainstream.
Heisserer established horror movie credentials with remakes of A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing as well as working on Final Destination 5.
He has two horror thrillers awaiting release from New Line: The Conjuring 2, whose script he worked on, and Lights Out, which he wrote and co-produced. The latter opens July 22.

Heisserer also wrote the script for The Story of Your Life, a sci-fi drama starring Amy Adams that is directorís Denis Villeneuveís follow-up to his acclaimed drug cartel drama Sicario.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #211
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

They already had a writer to work with Goyer's treatment, goddammit!

This is going to take forever, isn't it?

‏@LOLGOP

The hardest thing is having to teach your kids how to deal with the PC Police. No child should be forced to stop using racial slurs so young
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #212
tacit-ronin-
I'm Barney Google!

The same guy that also wrote the screenplay for Story of Your Life.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #213
tacit-ronin-
I'm Barney Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Goyer already said that the movie has a writer last year. So this is probably just announcing who it is.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #214
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Patience young padawan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
The same guy that also wrote the screenplay for Story of Your Life.
Yep but it's hard to mess up that book. Also it went through a new rewrite when Denis and Amy came on board back in 2014.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #215
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

JGL has left Sandman.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeGordonLe...16006645089664

Quote:
RE: SANDMAN
So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.
Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.
I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #216
Slick
Monster King

Well that sucks.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #217
Drz
Real Hero

"Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward."

Now that does sound worrying, but maybe New Line had a better thoughts? Who knows. Wonder which side Neil Gaiman would pick.

"Social critics donít mean a thing to me. Itís really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what Iím doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #218
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

New Line messing up with this and It

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #219
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I don't think JGL and the writer of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake are a fair trade.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #220
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

This doesn't sound promising.

Mysteryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #221
shortchange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Wonder which side Neil Gaiman would pick.

My guess is New Line wanted more of a horror tone based on the writer they chose and JGL seemed to be more into the mythology of the series. Can't say I'm looking forward to the project now.

shortchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #222
tacit-ronin-
I'm Barney Google!

Neil Gaiman personally had the movie shut down back in the nineties after he found out what Jon Peters did to the script. If Neil is still on board with than so am I.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #223
terry78
Ding ding ding ding ding

Gaiman was happy with what JGL had planned, so yeah it doesn't bode well to me.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #224
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

Bad news about Joseph gordon levitt.

Last edited by Doctor Octopus; 03-05-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #225
tacit-ronin-
I'm Barney Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
JGL has left Sandman.

RE: SANDMAN
So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.
Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to there subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.
I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeGordonLe...16006645089664
Wish he could have stayed.