The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #501
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
Being a hippy doesn't make you noble.
Then...what am I doing cancer research for?

THE FAME AND FORTUNE!

No, that's not what happens here.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #502
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

I had a smart cousin, graduated from MIT with a masters. Went on to a six figure job. Quit and did nothing for a year, because it was too soul destroying. I actually agreed with his action. I didn't think it was about doing the noble thing.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #503
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

The Biomedical Research field has a pretty horrible reputation.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #504
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
Nothing you say could possibly upset me. But it's hilarious how you claim you "don't want to get personal" and yet all you have done since you started posting in this section is attack people personally. You attack them for posting on the Internet or play video games or watch professional wrestling or whatever, all because they had the nerve of disagreeing with your point of view politically. You telling me that isn't getting personal?

You didn't disagree with what I said or try and disprove it in any way, because you know you can't. Instead you resorted to name calling and personal attacks and when you get called out on it, you claim innocence, while continuing to attack people personally. You seem to do this over and over again on here. I guess that is just your debating style.
My first post was about a personal observation of my son and his friends and some othe things I had heard that supported my feeling that kids were going to work later in life because parents weren't holding them to the standards kids were once held to. I wasn't talking to you but from your hateful response one would think I was talking ABOUT you and only you so yes, I think you took it personally. I never called anyone lazy idiots, those were your words. YOu even felt the need to point out how you weren't afraid of me. You feel the need to do that often on an internet message board? Feel there's a lot of danger out here on SHH that you feel you should point out you're not afraid of? I mean if that isn't taking it personally what is it? I think the truth is I stepped all over your toes with my initial remarks and you decided to throw a tantrum. So again I apologize. My initial remarks were not directed directly at you.

Spider‐Man is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #505
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
The Biomedical Research field has a pretty horrible reputation.
How so? I'm not sure if we count, since we're not using people, but cells. A lot easier to control. I do agree that clinical trials, and experiments with people in general, are difficult to really gauge.

But what the hell does this have to do with Obama or even the general status of young people?

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #506
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

I already given your sister a lot of flake, I don't feel like going after you. But I do hear a lot of stuff about biomedical research. The type of people it attracts, and some of the "results" they produce.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #507
Victarion
Iron Captain
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,513
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

I would be interested in biomedical research.

__________________
Goku Lands on Namek CEO
...no king but the King in the North whose name is BRADY...
Victarion is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #508
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
I already given your sister a lot of flake, I don't feel like going after you. But I do hear a lot of stuff about biomedical research. The type of people it attracts, and some of the "results" they produce.
There are douchebags everywhere. I've met some of them here. But it doesn't mean that EVERYONE in the field is a selfish SOB.

And yes, research is hard and takes a lot of money. But I'm good at it and someone has to do it to advance the human race, ya know.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #509
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

It attracts a lot of the wrong types of people. Kinda like Wallstreet. The good news is a lot of the charlatans have been hopping off the boat, because it is not as lucrative as it used to be.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #510
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Places
Posts: 19,563
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
The Biomedical Research field has a pretty horrible reputation.
what kind of career you like these days, dox?

__________________
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #511
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
It attracts a lot of the wrong types of people. Kinda like Wallstreet. The good news is a lot of the charlatans have been hopping off the boat, because it is not as lucrative as it used to be.
The slave labor like us (lab techs, grad students, postdocs) never went into research for the money. It was never lucrative. My fiance earned more in his first job out of college than the postdocs here do, after at least 5 more years of schooling.

Even my boss enjoys the actual lab work more than the political maneuvering. But some hate the bench and want to politick their way up into management. There are people like that everywhere, in every industry. -shrug-

But if you want to make a quick buck, lemme tell you, Wall St is a MUCH faster/easier way.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #512
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
what kind of career you like these days, dox?
Depends what you can tolerate. I've always recommended accounting, many different types of companies need it. You don't need Ivy League education to make a living. But it can be mind numbing.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #513
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
The slave labor like us (lab techs, grad students, postdocs) never went into research for the money. It was never lucrative. My fiance earned more in his first job out of college than the postdocs here do, after at least 5 more years of schooling.

Even my boss enjoys the actual lab work more than the political maneuvering. But some hate the bench and want to politick their way up into management. There are people like that everywhere, in every industry. -shrug-

But if you want to make a quick buck, lemme tell you, Wall St is a MUCH faster/easier way.
Oh don't misread me. I know about the ****** wages nowadays. Try talking to people about it before the 90s.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #514
Marx
Pixelated
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,034
Lightbulb Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

UPDATE: PRESIDENT OBAMA TOURS STORM DAMAGED AREAS ON THE EAST COAST
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ered-new-york/

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #515
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
What's this "your party" you are talking about? I am half American and half Canadian, I live in Canada, but have family in the US, so it gives me a stake in what goes in the US, but also let's me be an outsider looking in. So the democrats are not my party, because I am not interested in petty party politics, about having to "carry water" for a party rather then simply voting for one's values. To me the Democrats are just the lesser of two evils, not something to be proud of. So spare me these partisan accusations of covering up the crimes of "my party", I have no use for them. I care about America because my family lives there and wish the best for them, not because of some loyalty for some political party. Frankly I think the Canadian political system is better then the American political system, but since its not as "flashy" and Canada is not a super power, not many people have an interest in it outside of Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

Also if you think the GOP lost several key demographics just because Romney is a flip flopper, then I think your presenting an naive argument. The Democrats didn't keep the Senate, just because Romney was a flip flopper. You talk about the symptoms without dealing with the cause.

Also here is evidence against this generation being lazy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tykiisel/2011/12/07/leading-the-lazy-generation/

That was written in Forbes Magazine, hardly a liberal publication. The idea that past generation was lazier has been around forever, so long its a cliche. If you don't think the generation above you didn't think your generation was lazy, I think that is naive as well. So if conservatives are going to write off young people, because they think most of them will vote for Obama because they are lazy, then they are ensuring their own destruction. Its a generalization, one based on hubris, its a luxury you cannot afford. These generalizations prevent the GOP from asking itself tough questions and dealing with its won internal problems. If you think you can afford that luxury then the GOP will die and it will have no one to blame but itself. For all your talk of entitlements, you seem to be suggesting that the GOP is entitled to young people's votes, without putting any effort into wooing them. This argument that young people will not vote for the GOP because they are lazy seems like hard feelings, not sound political judgment. Also do you have any stats that would suggest "entitled young people" use more government funds funds then programs aimed at old people like Social Security and Medicare?

Also plenty of conservatives have used the liberal media to avoid responsibility for themselves. When Rush Limbaugh was caught abusing over the counter drugs, did he take responsibility or did he blame the liberal media? When the war in Iraq went South, did Rumsfeld take responsibility or try and blame the liberal media for not painting a rosy enough picture for him? Did Karl Rove take responsibility for himself when he had melt down on Fox News because all his Super Pac didn't have an effect in the key races he wanted to effect? It seems like there has been a lot of conservative buck passing in the last decade. It also seems many conservatives have a victim complex, which contradicts the idea of personal responsibly:

http://phdoctopus.com/2012/01/25/the-deep-roots-of-conservative-victimhood/

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/20/the_power_of_conservative_victimhood/

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4293580.html


There, I think I have addressed most of your key points, without dissect quoting.

You know after I posted I read where I wrote ‘your party’ and realized I didn’t actually know if you were a democrat (I was pretty sure you were NOT a republican) but didn’t have time to go back and change it so sorry about that.

If the republican party is so bad, why didn’t they lose the house as well?

In the article you reference, a few things stuck out for me. One, “77 percent of workers believe that the millennial generation has a different attitude toward workplace responsibility than other age groups. “Furthermore,” writes Ely Portillo, “68 percent of respondents said they think millennial workers are less motivated to take on responsibility and produce quality work than others.” So at least the majority of people polled see things as I do. Next “They’ve been taught since they were small children not to accept everything they’re told simply because it comes from someone in authority” So we’re creating a new generation who basically want to disregard authority. Finally, I never said that EVERY kid wants to avoid working, something that you and others have somehow convinced yourselves that I DID say. I said the incidence of this is rising but admit there are still kids who do work, case in point the young people in the article. But one error I see is the writer seems to say ‘if we just get out of their way and give them free reign, they will do great’ as if that would always be the case. That might be the case if every young person was doing their dream job. But if they are in a job that they feel anything less than love for, they will probably not fit the description of the young people in the article left to their own devices. My feeling is the percentage of young people working who are working in their dream job is very low.

For you to somehow suggest that anything I said meant that the GOP feels ‘entitled’ to votes from ANYONE is just crazy.

For the last time, old people have spent a lifetime paying into SS and medicare and you act like they are mooches for expecting to get some back. I can’t even understand your logic. It would be like if you contributed to your retirement fund and then were told if you tried to withdraw from it at retirement you were a mooch. What kind of crap is that?

I don’t watch Fox news so don’t know about several of the things you are talking about above. I DO think Gingrich had every right to jump in King’s face about his opening question. And the comment in the last article about Jones and Romney - Both men were appealing to the resentments of their audiences - you think this is exclusive to the right? Here’s what’s really funny: There are more networks that pander to the left than to the right. The left blasts Fox news (the ONLY right leaning network) for pandering to the right. By your definition a person from a party who complains that a network panders to the other party is playing the victim. There are more complaints about Fox news on here than any other network (liberal victimhood) yet you avoid pointing this out. I’ll just end this now. We obviously disagree and that’s fine with me. I lost interest a while back because basically what I said originally has been completely twisted.

Last thing I’ll say is to each his own but I can’t see myself having deep economic and political conversations about Canada on an internet message board even if my family DID live there. But bottom line is you think both our political parties suck, the democrats just suck a little less and Canada’s political system is better. Ok, thanks, message received.

Spider‐Man is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #516
Marx
Pixelated
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,034
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

The GOP didn't lose control of the House because their rhetoric still somewhat works at a local, district level.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #517
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,814
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The GOP didn't lose control of the House because their rhetoric still somewhat works at a local, district level.
Also Gerrymandering makes it much easier to win alot of seats. The Democrats actually got a slightly higher total(54.3M vs 53.8M) of the amount of votes house members got but will most likely end up with 33 less seats(there is still 3 seats up for grabs so it could be as high as 36)

SV Fan is online now  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #518
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 68,892
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The GOP didn't lose control of the House because their rhetoric still somewhat works at a local, district level.
You can say the same thing about Senate seats....it is very hard to win over one or the other once a party is in charge. 2010 was a surprise for many...

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #519
CGHulk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,759
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Just some pictures of the President.
http://imgur.com/a/X6186#0

CGHulk is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #520
JJJ's Ulcer
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 14,803
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The GOP didn't lose control of the House because their rhetoric still somewhat works at a local, district level.
Well yes, but I think the bigger reason was gerrymandering the districts to make them more conservative. More people voted for a Democratic house than a GOP house. If things were fair, this would have been enough to flip the house.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #521
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,133
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Just some pictures of the President.
http://imgur.com/a/X6186#0
lol That kind of reminds me of the Raikage's and Killer B's fist bump on Naruto! I'd love to see someone do a manip of the Obama pic.


__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #522
Marx
Pixelated
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,034
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Also Gerrymandering makes it much easier to win alot of seats. The Democrats actually got a slightly higher total(54.3M vs 53.8M) of the amount of votes house members got but will most likely end up with 33 less seats(there is still 3 seats up for grabs so it could be as high as 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Well yes, but I think the bigger reason was gerrymandering the districts to make them more conservative. More people voted for a Democratic house than a GOP house. If things were fair, this would have been enough to flip the house.
Oh, I absolutely agree with that. The redistricting fiasco that strongly favored republican candidates also played a pretty big role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
You can say the same thing about Senate seats....it is very hard to win over one or the other once a party is in charge. 2010 was a surprise for many...
That's true.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #523
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,630
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Just some pictures of the President.
http://imgur.com/a/X6186#0
He lets a lot of kids into the Oval Office.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline  
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #524
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,133
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
He lets a lot of kids into the Oval Office.
It's indoctrination I tell you!! INDOCTRINATION!!!

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #525
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
"No country on Earth would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders."
Says Captain Drone Bomberman

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.