The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #326
Donut
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,182
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

The people that need to be fired are the folllowing

The morons that came up with the drm & offline & used game restrictions
The morons that came up with mandatory Kinect &
The morons that agreed with & approved all of the above

Get rid of these morons & we just might eventually get a Kinectless XBOX One. Even if the price does not drop. Bundle it with a game or two. Just release a no Kinect version

Donut is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #327
AxlsAppetite
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,700
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Edit: nevermind

Didn't read your post clearly

AxlsAppetite is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #328
HauntedKnight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

I haven't really followed the Xbox One, but what exactly is the problem with having kinect on all of the time? Are people just afraid someone will get in and see them? If so, we live in the world of smartphones and laptops all of which have cameras. Serious question.

The appealing thing to me about this system is kinect. At least they are doing something different.

HauntedKnight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #329
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues
 
Balthus Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,710
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

A kinect-less model would be another step in the right direction and another step towards listening to what consumers want rather than telling them.

Balthus Dire is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #330
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedKnight View Post
I haven't really followed the Xbox One, but what exactly is the problem with having kinect on all of the time? Are people just afraid someone will get in and see them? If so, we live in the world of smartphones and laptops all of which have cameras. Serious question.

The appealing thing to me about this system is kinect. At least they are doing something different.
You seriously don't see the problem with a mandatory camera that has little to no actual purpose? Most people don't want to use Kinect... why should they be required to have a camera on them whenever they want to play a game? Microsofts pushing of that is not just kind of creepy, but really creepy.

Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #331
HauntedKnight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wontkins View Post
You seriously don't see the problem with a mandatory camera that has little to no actual purpose? Most people don't want to use Kinect... why should they be required to have a camera on them whenever they want to play a game? Microsofts pushing of that is not just kind of creepy, but really creepy.
People are going to be more likely to use it when it comes as a default though. It's a good idea that needs more exposure to get over. It might be a novelty, but again at least it's different. Who wants to buy the same console over and over? Like I said, it's no different than almost all of laptops having a camera on it. I don't want mine, but it's being pushed on me too.

HauntedKnight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #332
X Knight
Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 39,592
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

but are we forced to have the laptop camera/mic on in order for the laptop to even function??

is the laptop camera/mic always on, waiting for our verbal commands, recording/monitoring what we say and do?

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #333
HauntedKnight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
but are we forced to have the laptop camera/mic on in order for the laptop to even function??

is the laptop camera/mic always on, waiting for our verbal commands, recording/monitoring what we say and do?
Nope. But the people saying that it's a privacy issue are concerned that someone somewhere can actually access this data at any given notice. I'm sure those same people can do this on your laptop just as easy if you go the paranoid route. I just don't see the concern.

HauntedKnight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #334
X Knight
Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 39,592
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

perhaps.

but the whole idea of the "always on" Kinect just feels more invasive. especially since it HAS to be connected to the console for the console to even work.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #335
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!
 
StrainedEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 16,332
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

And unless you buy a seperate headset, you have to use Kinect for in-game chat.

__________________
Top of the world, all that's around you is beneath me
Me learnin' from your mistakes is the only way you can teach me.
StrainedEyes is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #336
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedKnight View Post
People are going to be more likely to use it when it comes as a default though. It's a good idea that needs more exposure to get over. It might be a novelty, but again at least it's different. Who wants to buy the same console over and over? Like I said, it's no different than almost all of laptops having a camera on it. I don't want mine, but it's being pushed on me too.
"New" doesn't always mean "Better". There is nothing wrong with controllers, and until something "Better" gets made, controllers are fine. Either Kinect is incomplete technology and shouldn't be sold, let alone integrated with the system, or it has no place in the future of gaming and is entirely a gimmick. I'm going with the latter, but at the very least, they're pushing something that has not reached its potential.

The fact that they're making it mandatory with the system shows they know it will fail on its own. They have to slap it onto the system in order to get anyone to buy it. That is not a good sign.


Last edited by Wontkins; 06-24-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #337
X Knight
Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 39,592
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

and if Kinect is so "essential" to the new gaming experience, why not just integrate it and build it directly into the X1??

why keep it as a separate device??

if it's a separate device, I should have the option of choosing not to plug it in and use it.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #338
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Hopefully Microsoft does some cleansing after this disaster, maybe next generation I'd be willing to give them another chance. Don Mattrick needs to go.

Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #339
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,431
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedKnight View Post
I haven't really followed the Xbox One, but what exactly is the problem with having kinect on all of the time? Are people just afraid someone will get in and see them? If so, we live in the world of smartphones and laptops all of which have cameras. Serious question.

The appealing thing to me about this system is kinect. At least they are doing something different.
Agreed. Kinect is the X factor this gen because it's the biggest distinguishing factor now. Microsoft obviously believes in it enough to put it with every system. You don't just tack something on that's gonna give your competitor a $100 edge. They're invested in it which is a good sign because that means they're actually developing it into the best it can be.

__________________
Sometimes to do what's right, we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.
Poetic Chaos is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #340
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

They've alienated every single person who is even slightly paranoid. Not a good move. Its surreal, I don't understand how people do not see the problem with this... Make Kinect optional, only a fraction of the population wants Kinect. They're shooting themselves in the foot by pushing it like this. I absolutely refuse to get an Xbox if Kinect is required, and I know many others who feel the same way. It just makes no sense how arrogant Microsoft are being.

Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #341
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches
 
Asteroid-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 18,389
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

I would love a kinnectless model if it was cheaper than the PS4 (the internal tech is cheaper after all).

__________________
This is why I say it's the ballot or the bullet.
It's liberty or it's death.
It's freedom for everybody or freedom for nobody.
America today finds herself in a unique situation... to become involved in a bloodless revolution
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #342
Dugath
Side-Kick
 
Dugath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wontkins View Post
They've alienated every single person who is even slightly paranoid. Not a good move. Its surreal, I don't understand how people do not see the problem with this... Make Kinect optional, only a fraction of the population wants Kinect. They're shooting themselves in the foot by pushing it like this. I absolutely refuse to get an Xbox if Kinect is required, and I know many others who feel the same way. It just makes no sense how arrogant Microsoft are being.
What is there to be paranoid of?

Are people afraid someone they are going to be caught wacking it by someone watching through the Camera ?(do it in front of the computer like everyone else!)

If it really bothers someone they can turn it around, put something over it.
If MS or someone wants to listen to me watching tv, have at it. But I doubt they do.

Dugath is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #343
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
What is there to be paranoid of?

Are people afraid someone they are going to be caught wacking it by someone watching through the Camera ?(do it in front of the computer like everyone else!)

If it really bothers someone they can turn it around, put something over it.
If MS or someone wants to listen to me watching tv, have at it. But I doubt they do.


I don't understand this mindset at all... I'm not even a very paranoid person, I tend to not to give a ***** about what the government is up to, but when I'm told that people are overreacting to a mandatory camera in their living room, just to play a video game, and when I hear "If MS or someone wants to listen to me watching tv, have at it.", I get really worried. People put up with this invasive technology and are willingly throwing themselves into a dystopian society because "Oh well, Xbox One has good exclusives, and who cares if they watch me in my living room, I'm not very interesting."

Its just common sense not to alienate your customers. Give us a CHOICE. But the Xbox One has been the opposite of choice. Don't like Kinect? #DealWithIt. Required internet? #DealWithIt. Want to be able to lend a friend a game or borrow one yourself before buying it yourself? #DealWithIt. In Microsoft's eyes, you have only ONE choice. Buy their console. Meanwhile, Sony is sitting around doing nothing as hundreds of thousands of people are moving over to them. Microsoft really have shot themselves in the foot.

Oh, and before you say "They reversed the policies on used games and mandatory internet!" Kind of... You still need an internet connection to download the patch that fixes all this stuff... and if they can fix all these problems with a patch, I have no doubt they're going to implement them sometime down the line. They've already shown us their long term intentions.

Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #344
X Knight
Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 39,592
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

I also think there's a concern, not just for the gamer's own privacy, but the privacy of everyone else in the house.

considering that MS wants the X1 to be the "all-in-one" entertainment console, the X1 is probably going to be found mostly in living rooms. after that, bedrooms or gaming rooms/dens.

so not only will the Kinect be "spying" on the gamer's activity, will it also be listening in to what other family members are saying, or watching what they're doing, as they go about their daily lives?

that's what invasive about it. it feels like you have a set of eyes and ears always spying on you and your family.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #345
Wontkins
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 161
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

If someone told me 5 years ago that Microsoft was going to release an Xbox console that had a mandatory camera attached to it that was to remain always on, tracks peoples movements, sees in pitch black, detects peoples heart rate, and so on, I would laugh and ask them if they ran out of tinfoil hats.

Wontkins is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #346
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42,674
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Just read that the headset doesn't come with the One

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-on...eadset-6410685

Havok83 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #347
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,431
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Makes sense with Kinect being included.

__________________
Sometimes to do what's right, we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.
Poetic Chaos is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #348
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!
 
StrainedEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 16,332
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
Makes sense with Kinect being included.
It makes sense, but it kind of sucks. When I upgraded my 360 to a Slim+Kinect combo it didn't come with a headset, so any in-game chat has to come out of the TV speakers and you are yelling into a device which is right near your load speakers as well. It's not ideal.

__________________
Top of the world, all that's around you is beneath me
Me learnin' from your mistakes is the only way you can teach me.
StrainedEyes is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #349
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42,674
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
It makes sense, but it kind of sucks. When I upgraded my 360 to a Slim+Kinect combo it didn't come with a headset, so any in-game chat has to come out of the TV speakers and you are yelling into a device which is right near your load speakers as well. It's not ideal.
for me I always prefer to hear player voices coming into my air as opposed to the speakers. I also prefer to speak into a headset as opposed to yelling towards the screen

Havok83 is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #350
HauntedKnight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wontkins View Post

Its just common sense not to alienate your customers. Give us a CHOICE. But the Xbox One has been the opposite of choice. Don't like Kinect? #DealWithIt. Required internet? #DealWithIt. Want to be able to lend a friend a game or borrow one yourself before buying it yourself? #DealWithIt. In Microsoft's eyes, you have only ONE choice. Buy their console. Meanwhile, Sony is sitting around doing nothing as hundreds of thousands of people are moving over to them. Microsoft really have shot themselves in the foot.
The more choices, the better, I agree. It just makes me wonder why when it comes to a game console, that is the device people assume is supposed to give you a choice.

I did not have a choice that my laptop, tablet and phone came with a camera. Or an NFC feature (which is potentially way more invasive). I didn't get to choose that these devices came with headphones even though I didn't want them. The only choices you usually get are how big of a drive you get. Why would a console be any different. When was it? The original kinect was an accessory now part of the console. Nobody says anything when all phones now have 2 cameras.

My only point is that I don't see where the entitlement comes from. You get this nowhere else. Don't want a camera? You have a WiiU and a PS4 that don't. You don't have to buy this. It's almost a waste of time to yell at them to give you options when you have alternatives. Is this wrong? Does it mean that I wish there wasn't choices? No, but it's like ANY product.

HauntedKnight is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.