Soapy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

RE: Used games and AAA budgets.

I'm just going to post this video:

When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

and quote this post from GAF:

Quote:
But Gamestop would never accept that original trade if person 2 wasn't going to buy the used game. Why shouldn't Gamestop benefit? They are the middleman. You just want them to give people free money and throw the discs away?

No, here's the problem. Tomb Raider sold 3.4m units in the space of a month and it's a "failure" because it will fail to recoup its budget.

THREE POINT FOUR MILLION ****ING UNITS FOR WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY A B-TIER FRANCHISE AND THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY MONEY.

And killing used games would have solved this how? Would it have made the execs at Squenix who thought throwing $100m budget at a franchise that's been irrelevant since the turn of the century suddenly get a clue?

Oh, but no, they argue "GAMERS PUSH FOR HIGHER AND HIGHER BUDGETS AND WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT! THEIR ENTITLEMENT COMPLEX CAN'T BE SATIATED! WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LET BUDGETS SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL!" and that's lovely, but since when did they ever give a **** about what we actually thought?

Are Microsoft going to turn around and backtrack on this DRM fiasco because "WE HAVE TO GIVE GAMERS WHAT THEY WANT!"? Are they ****.

Are EA going to throw all their games up on Steam and patch Sim City to not need the stupid Origin authentication because "THAT'S WHAT THOSE ENTITLED GAMERS ARE SCREAMING FOR!"? **** no.

If you couldn't afford to give people what they wanted, then why didn't you just turn around and say no like you do with every other thing we complain about? Here's why; Every publisher big and small decided to get into a dick waving contest and it turns out that not everyone has a big dick. Squenix got its tiny little acorn cock out and went up against Mandingo Activision screaming "LOOK AT MY MASSIVE JUNK! YOU'LL WANT TO CARE FOR IT!" and everyone just turned around and shrugged and bought something else.

Not everyone has a big dick. Acting like you have a big dick when you don't have a big dick is going to make the reveal of your tiny little penis all the more humiliating. And that's what happened here. Squenix acted like Tomb Raider, a franchise that habitually sells less than 3m lifetime per entry was going to suddenly sell COD numbers just because they spent $100m on it and guess what happened? THE ****ING INEVITABLE.

In terms of the franchise post-Core, the game is going to do really well, probably double what you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game post-PSone but it cost far, far too much.

But no, it's all used games that did this. Used games made Capcom make some horrible design decisions on DmC and piss off the entire fanbase. Used games made Activision and EA flood the market with guitar games and accessories long after people stopped caring. Used games made Microsoft make a fourth Gears of War game that nobody asked for from a developer nobody cares about. Used games made Sony pump out another God of War game after they spent the past few years flooding the market with HD remasters. Used games made Sony make a Smash Bros clone with no appealing characters to help sell it. Used games made Bizarre Creations make James Bond and racing games no-one wanted. Used games make publishers shutter studios the moment the game they were working on goes gold, before they've even had a chance to sell a single new copy, let alone a used one.

I could go on. And on. And on. You could write a book about every single executive level screw-up this gen and yet these same people with their million dollar salaries and their shill puppets still try to insult our intelligence and blame used games and awful, entitled consumers for companies shutting and talented people losing their jobs.

So please forgive our cynicism when we don't want to buy into the ******** you're spouting.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #127
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

^^^Beautiful.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #128
Matt Mortem
Big Monster

That was a damn fine rant.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #129
Nathan

Gotta bring him out again. That really was beautiful.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #130
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

How about encourage and allow end-user made addons to console games so that users are encouraged to hold on to their discs instead of trading/selling them on. I don't care if it competes with their DLC addon ambitions, just let it happen.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #131
zenith16
Side-Kick

source: GI

oh man, lol micro soft this was never a smart idea.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #132
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
Or, you know, if you don't agree with the policies, don't buy the console.
And whats sad is that a lot of the people who do not agree with the policies have openly admitted to buying the console anyway, perhaps not at launch, but they are still willing to give M$ money... so they can play ONE game (or two). It's like a smoker who won't quit knowing full well it's harmful to them.

Backtracking is the basis of all gameplay. Only a fool wouldn't recycle assets to lengthen gameplay
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #133
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

IGN unboxes the 360 Super Slim

Might as well put this here I suppose.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #134
chaseter
Barf

I have no reason to buy one of these. Microsoft in one generation went from king to mad king that will soon be killed.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #135
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
IGN unboxes the 360 Super Slim

Might as well put this here I suppose.
So, there's barely any size difference, and it costs the same, and it's got less features than the current model.

- why did they make this again?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #136
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

http://www.cnet.com.au/us-navy-publi...7.htm?feed=rss

Quote:
Independent US-based military magazine Navy Times has published a new report blasting the Xbox One and its various policies that the publication describes as problematic for those on active duty.

The Xbox One will require users to connect to the internet once every 24 hours, something that Navy Lt Scott Metcalf believes will be a "showstopper" for those serving downrange, in the field or at sea.

A past report claimed that Microsoft was working on a solution for those in internet-free scenarios, though the company now says no such plan is in place.

In addition, the Xbox One will be supported in only 21 countries. Those stationed in major military regions like Germany, Italy or Great Britain will not have a problem. However, service members in Japan, Kuwait, Afghanistan or other areas are in a bind.

On top of this, since Xbox One games are region locked, service members who import games won't be able to play them on their local machines. And, as Navy Times pointed out, those who buy games locally will be out of luck, as Xbox Live accounts are tied to regions.

The publication also called out potential "serious" security concerns for the Xbox One, involving the system's Kinect camera and/or microphone recording conversations not meant to be heard outside of the military. Microsoft has said that the Xbox One does not record idle living room chatter.

"Microsoft has single-handedly alienated the entire military," naval aviator Jay Johnson wrote in a Gamasutra piece. "And not just the US military — the militaries of the entire world."

Johnson added that the Xbox One's internet requirement is "the single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members".
that last line is abit much

Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #137
Havok83
Side-Kick

that article is ridiculous. The Xbox one is a luxury NOT a necessity. No one in the navy or military needs one. Bc of the security concerns and the restrictions, then it wouldn't be wise to get one. There are other alternatives to gaming. Single greatest sin? That has got to be one of the dumbest lines Ive read about the system. Talk about overexagerating

Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #138
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
that article is ridiculous. The Xbox one is a luxury NOT a necessity. No one in the navy or military needs one. Bc of the security concerns and the restrictions, then it wouldn't be wise to get one. There are other alternatives to gaming. Single greatest sin? That has got to be one of the dumbest lines Ive read about the system. Talk about overexagerating
Is he exaggerating? Absolutely, but my friends list is loaded with people who are in the armed forces and played on their off time when they were deployed. So I understand where they are putting soldiers in a bind.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #139
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

Thats the problem with the way they have gone with this system, it's right in the firing line for these kinds of articles, and you can bet there will be plenty more!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #140
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Is he exaggerating? Absolutely, but my friends list is loaded with people who are in the armed forces and played on their off time when they were deployed. So I understand where they are putting soldiers in a bind.
There's a PS4 for them to get. An X1 is not a necessity and no one is going to die if they don't get one.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #141
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

Quote:
There's a PS4 for them to get. An X1 is not a necessity and no one is going to die if they don't get one.
Yeah but come on don't you think thats a bit of a poor business practice by Microsoft? "you can't play this so buy our competitors system, or get one thats last gen." Sure nobodys going to die, but there will be some profits decreasing, and to these companies thats a fate worse than death!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #142
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueweasel View Post
Yeah but come on don't you think thats a bit of a poor business practice by Microsoft? "you can't play this so buy our competitors system, or get one thats last gen." Sure nobodys going to die, but there will be some profits decreasing, and to these companies thats a fate worse than death!
Well I wasn't arguing MS' stance here and we're talking about two different things now. I was commenting on the possible end consumer and you are focused on MS as a company. Sure it's not the wisest decision and they are likely screwing themselves over, which they'll pay for if they don't alter some of this. I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying its not the end of the world if a soldier can not buy an X1 one. There are bigger things in this world to be concerned about and besides there are alternatives to gaming so its not like this is the final resort.

I think some of the rants about the X1 are downright ridiculous and this is one of the worst. Don't want or can't get one? Then don't. MS is being very blatant about what they are doing here and one can oppose it with their wallets. They aren't forcing anyone to buy the system

Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #143
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

Quote:
Well I wasn't arguing MS' stance here and we're talking about two different things now. I was commenting on the possible end consumer and you are focused on MS as a company. Sure it's not the wisest decision and they are likely screwing themselves over, which they'll pay for if they don't alter some of this. I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying its not the end of the world if a soldier can not buy an X1 one. There are bigger things in this world to be concerned about and besides there are alternatives to gaming so its not like this is the final resort.

I think some of the rants about the X1 are downright ridiculous and this is one of the worst. Don't want or can't get one? Then don't. MS is being very blatant about what they are doing here and one can oppose it with their wallets. They aren't forcing anyone to buy the system
I totally agree, the article is very over the top about that. But I do think it does come down to the same thing whichever way you want to look at it. I don't like this attitude they have of can't get one, don't, thats just very bad business, it should be made to seem as though you need it in your home, that it is something you have to have. This simply doesn't.

In regard to the article, it is quite silly the whole worst thing against the services Microsoft has ever done. But Microsoft should be tackling these problems, their seems no middle ground with there policies, this stubborness is really going to bite them.

And again I totally agree with some of the rants i've read they really are ridiculous, but some do have their points. Like I said earlier, they have put themselves in prime target for these kinds of articles.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #144
Donut
Banned User

So theres news going around that

Congressmen propose "We Are Watching You Act," an anti-Kinect bill

Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #145
Benstamania
Go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
RE: Used games and AAA budgets.

I'm just going to post this video:

When The Starscreams Kill Used Games

and quote this post from GAF:

beautiful.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #146
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
So theres news going around that

Congressmen propose "We Are Watching You Act," an anti-Kinect bill
I thought Congress were doing plenty of watching of their own. They need to pass an anti-Congress bill too.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #147
Donut
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I thought Congress were doing plenty of watching of their own. They need to pass an anti-Congress bill too.
I guess the Government does not want anyone but the Government spying on people

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #148
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

I hope the Xbox One fails, I was an xbox guy before i heard about the xbox one. Now I'm ps4 all the way

Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #149
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I don't want it to fail. I want to see MS eating humble pie and playing catch-up for a few years.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #150
Benstamania
Go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The US Government doesn't want anyone else spying on it's citizens but them.