The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #476
BattleCat
Side-Kick

Default Re: The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread

I agree. The whole time watching first class, I kept thinking "this guy would make a damn good Bond"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
If Daniel Craig doesn't want to be Bond after the next movie, I would vote for Fassbender to become the new James Bond. I hope the success of FC will give him alot more opportunity, because he's an actor who has an incredible magnetism (pun intended) on the screen.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #477
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Interesting article about Magneto and the Jewish identity:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omer-r..._b_877751.html

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #478
craigdbfan
Banned User

All the more reason showing why Magneto is one of the greatest villains of all time.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #479
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I couldn't see a trace of McKellen in Fassbender's performance, although even if there was - and I didn't notice it - I really don't think it's indicative of his prowess as an actor.
I don't know, I was never interested in seeing "the younger Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellan" anyway, so I wasn't searching for it. If a performance is good, it's good. I think that's what matters.

Right on! Fassbender was a total scene stealer and has done for this character in the X-men Mythos what Ledger did for the Joker in Dark Knight(minus the dying pre-release part of course).

His performance alone could carry the once intended Magneto-Origins spin-off as they seemed to leave out any reference of a Magda relationship or procreation of the Maximoff twins. Sure hope they don't take the cheesy way out and make Mystique the mother of em!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #480
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Yeah, Fassbender is great, it's pretty obvious he made the right choice going for this instead of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #481
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

He was up for a role in The Amazing Spider-man? Which one?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #482
merbass
Side-Kick

The lizard

Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #483
Ponyboy
Serenity now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Yeah, Fassbender is great, it's pretty obvious he made the right choice going for this instead of The Amazing Spider-Man.
Ditto. Not that he couldn't have been great as the Lizard... but he definitely did Magneto justice.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #484
merbass
Side-Kick

I wonder if he is now upset that Spiderman is looking to have a bigger box office !

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #485
Ponyboy
Serenity now!

Well at least with Magneto he's got the change to continue and do more films... I would imagine with the Lizard role he might be in and out of one picture, & thus, only getting one paycheck

Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #486
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

The Lizard has no right to be this hot. This was a no-brainer.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #487
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

Hmmm....I'm sure all of us would choose to be Magneto over The Lizard.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #488
Sebastos
le professionnel

Fassbender's performance as Magneto was truly fantastic, it's going be awesome to see him grow into the role with sequels. Also his solo missions during the first half of the movie was so cool. When he was speaking french I didn't even have to look at the subtitles, I knew every word he was saying, lol. I really think Fassbender should be the one to wear the tux after Craig is done with Bond.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #489
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

It never really occurred to me before, but Sebastian Shaw's plan in this movie is essentially the same as Magneto's plan in X-Men. The only real difference is that the former involved killing all of the humans by nuclear apocalypse, and the latter involved just turning the humans into more mutants.

Maybe Magneto took Shaw's idea and re-purposed it?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #490
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Thats possible. Magneto did say he agree's with Shaw. They would have been allies had Shaw not been such a D-bag

Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #491
Blitzkrieg Bop
Fight Owens Fight

And the whole mother murder thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #492
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Yeah, killing someones mom is a douchey move

Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #493
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
It never really occurred to me before, but Sebastian Shaw's plan in this movie is essentially the same as Magneto's plan in X-Men. The only real difference is that the former involved killing all of the humans by nuclear apocalypse, and the latter involved just turning the humans into more mutants.

Maybe Magneto took Shaw's idea and re-purposed it?

It's also the basic plot scheme of the Terminator franchise, in which the villains are trying to eliminate humans by shooting off nukes between Russia and the U.S.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #494
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

I think it was pretty evident in 'First Class' that Magneto ultimately (in the series) becomes the very villain he spent the fifteen-or-so years after the Holocaust hunting down. I mean, he uses the man's helmet and his henchmen, for Pete's sake. He and Shaw were very much alike, Shaw tortured Erik and by 1962, Shaw had everything in motion that Erik wanted. All he, Erik, needed to do was kill him. It makes you wonder - while his relationship with Charles seemed quite genuine, was he using him at the same time?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #495
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
It makes you wonder - while his relationship with Charles seemed quite genuine, was he using him at the same time?
This is something I've been thinking since I watched the film for the first time.
When Charles told him "Shaw has his friends...you can have yours", maybe Erik was thinking in terms of having allies, who would help him hunt and kill Shaw. But I think Charles was speaking more in terms of a real friendship, a connection. Something that would give Erik a bond with a reality that was not solely focused on "Shaw" and "vengence". That there was more to life than just pain and anger.

I think Erik went on with Charles' dream of better things because it suited him. I guess he really didn't expect to form a strong friendship bond with another person, but it happened, to his surprise. Charles on the other hand had a mission too - to make Erik a "better man". It was maybe too näive or too arrogant, but it's so common too. We're arrogant beings in that we believe our lives can improve or better another person's life. With Charles it's even more complicated because he saw goodness inside Erik's mind, and he really believed he was the one who could help this surface, and heal Erik.

The problem was that Erik's mind was set on revenge and it took over his entire life; he cared about Charles and he knew Charles cared about him, but like he said "peace was never an option=not killing Shaw was never an option". Maybe Erik thought he had made it perfectly clear, and it was like "you're my friend if you allow me to do that, and if you help me to do that". He was so involved in himself that Charles' feelings about the whole issue weren't put into consideration. Charles on the other hand was set on this idea that he could save Erik - that allowing him to catch Shaw would make him "see the light", that Erik would consider that killing the man would jeopardize their friendship and everything they achieved together, so he was blinded by his own naivety as well. And then all went terribly wrong.

I wish more time was dedicated to the aftermath of Shaw's killing. I think we needed Charles' pov on the issue - maybe some dialogue with Moira, or Erik himself. It was clearly horrible to him and it distressed him greatly, but we never see him address it. Charles needed to question Erik about the whole thing - if he realised the amount of pain and horror he had put a friend through to achieve his goal. And Erik on the other hand should question him about his (Charles) own desire to see the man dead. "You held him still because you wanted it too". Should be interesting to see.

I think that their final scene is so terribly tragic and sad in so many ways. Thinking from my own pov, I would put a friend above anything else, so I totally related to Charles' sense of loss and betrayal. When he said "you did it" it was much more than the bullet, it was the realisation that he had been used by a person he considered his best friend, that Erik never thought about him once, that he would destroy everything on his way - including their friendship - to make things happen the way he thought was the only way. Thinking from Erik's pov, it's so painfully clear how much he cared about Charles that he would forget everything about killing humans when he saw he had been hit. It was the moment that everything could change, but Erik still wanted things to follow his own rules; "I want you by my side", meaning "I want you to understand that I'm right, that my way is the only way to go when dealing with this issue" and of course Charles had always been by his side, but both misunderstood what it meant. Their sadness at this realisation is palpable, and Erik decided that friendship was maybe an emotional baggage he didn't want to carry, that dealing with allies was easier and wouldn't bring so much emotional pain. Him leaving Charles there after his intial reaction of dropping everything for him had to do with the fact that he couldn't deal with the reality of what he had done to a friend, with really facing up the whole situation in a mature, level-headed way. He's still a boy lost in his past, and I doubt killing Shaw ever brought him peace. And Charles wasn't in the position of forgiving or understanding Erik - not at that moment, at least, not at the worst moment of his life. And it was also the sad realisation that he had been arrogant and vain when thinking he could interfere and change another person's destiny, or path.

I think that Second Class will have to address these issues and I think Erik has to face the reality of his actions and how they affected Charles life and how they changed it. Otherwise, it would be strange to see Charles refering to Erik as an "old friend", when it seemed more like a one-way friendship. Charles saved Erik's life first, maybe next time Erik will be the one sacrifices something for a friend. I'll just wait and see (and hope their relationship will still be the focus in the next films).

I've seen this movie too many times, it seems.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #496
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I think that Second Class will have to address these issues and I think Erik has to face the reality of his actions and how they affected Charles life and how they changed it. Otherwise, it would be strange to see Charles refering to Erik as an "old friend", when it seemed more like a one-way friendship. Charles saved Erik's life first, maybe next time Erik will be the one sacrifices something for a friend. I'll just wait and see (and hope their relationship will still be the focus in the next films).
I always thought it would be cool in the next film to have Charles and Erik bumping into each other while witnessing MLK, Jr. and Malcolm X meeting with each other after hearing the debate over the Civil Rights Bill. It's so important because it was the first and only time when those two men, despite their conflicting ideologies (peace vs. violence) came into contact with each other. It's also important because Charles and Erik were based off of those two real life figures, at least as far as beliefs were concerned.

They could parallel the mutant problem with the growing unease of the Civil Rights movement, and whether or society should ever accept them. Maybe have Erik say something along the lines of, "If they can't even accept their own kind, what makes you think they will ever accept us?"

Quote:
I've seen this movie too many times, it seems.
You can never see a movie like this way too many times.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #497
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
I agree. The whole time watching first class, I kept thinking "this guy would make a damn good Bond"
I believe Michael Fassbender was one of the choices for this new Bond franchise before Daniel Craig was finally chosen.

For you.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #498
Sebastos
le professionnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
I believe Michael Fassbender was one of the choices for this new Bond franchise before Daniel Craig was finally chosen.
I don't recall his name showing up back then, but certainly his performance in FC has him on EON's radar. A Vaughn and Fassbender team up for Bond would be full of awesomeness.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by Sebastos; 06-21-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #499
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
I think his name was never on the list. Only Craig Daniel, Henry Cavill and Sam Worthington were seriously considered. Michael was so unknown back then and only became recognizable after 300.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #500
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
I think his name was never on the list. Only Craig Daniel, Henry Cavill and Sam Worthington were seriously considered. Michael was so unknown back then and only became recognizable after 300.
Huh. I might be wrong then. It was probably just the fans bringing his name up, because I remember him in the discussions.

I fell in love with Fassbender in Inglorious Basterds. That basement bar scene.

For you.
Closed Thread