TLJ 31 38.27%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #126
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: TFA vs TLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Blade Runner 2049 is everything TFA is not. An homage, a series of callbacks, but also its own film that builds on its predecessor. TFA is a very expensive rehash.
TFA was even released in the same year of other successful reboots/ sequels: Jurassic World, Mad Max: Fury Road and Creed.

I still think Fury Road was the most accomplished of the group. Was true to the original films in tone and spirit but still did something different and introduced brand new concepts and locations.

I vote for TLJ, but i still think more can be done with the franchise.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #127
fire117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
I didn't even vote. Burn 'em both to the ground
Agreed and afterwards, erase the 'films' from the official canon and start again with a new trilogy set 100 years after Episode 6.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #128
Brother Jack
Believer

"I don't like something therefore it shouldn't exist."

round to the same place again.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #129
fire117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jack View Post
"I don't like something therefore it shouldn't exist."
A lot of people hate TFA and TLJ so I say make them non-canon and restart this sequel trilogy again set 100 years after ROTJ and this time do it right, with no Mary-Sue lead characters.

fire117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #130
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
A lot of people hate TFA and TLJ so I say make them non-canon and restart this sequel trilogy again set 100 years after ROTJ and this time do it right, with no Mary-Sue lead characters.
Even if they were to do that, it would most likely be the same team of executives in charge of the series (meaning it would probably turn out about the same). For me it's too late to restart the sequel trilogy (and it's certainly too late to remake it since Carrie Fisher is gone.) My hope is just for good movies moving forward, regardless of whether or not this trilogy is canon.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #131
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Combined TFA and TLJ havemade over $3 billion dollars WW at the cinema alone. They aren’t going to be made non-canon, you should accept that will never happen.

And that’s coming from someone who hadn’t plenty of problems with TLJ.

1) Black Panther-8.5(2)The Shape of Water-8
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #132
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not crazy about TFA and TLJ , though my solution is to end the saga films after Episode 9 and stick to shared universe trilogies and spin offs. After Ben Solo the Skywalker family saga should truly end. No episode 10,11, 12 ...20. End it .

Go all in on the spin off , new franchise, and new trilogy routes, i.e. what they're already doing in animation shows, books etc. except with live action films . Expand the universe beyond episodes 1-9 and its characters, make a break and start something new without the baggage of OT, PT and NT.

That pleases people who basically don't want the OT sullied and those who are demanding new fresh ideas and risks.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #133
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
This is literally never going to happen. The ST has made Disney loads of money. It will not be rebooted or removed from continuity. At least the official Disney continuity. If you want to make your own head cannon, that is on you. But, we will never see Episode 7-9 done ever again.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #134
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'm not crazy about TFA and TLJ , though my solution is to end the saga films after Episode 9 and stick to shared universe trilogies and spin offs. After Ben Solo the Skywalker family saga should truly end. No episode 10,11, 12 ...20. End it .

Go all in on the spin off , new franchise, and new trilogy routes, i.e. what they're already doing in animation shows, books etc. except with live action films . Expand the universe beyond episodes 1-9 and its characters, make a break and start something new without the baggage of OT, PT and NT.

That pleases people who basically don't want the OT sullied and those who are demanding new fresh ideas and risks.
I agree 100%. I really can't imagine how they'll be able to keep pumping out saga movies without them getting too repetitive (unless it just becomes pure self-aware parody, which is likely by the time they get to Episode 30 or so.) You can only do a handful of things in them. It's my humble opinion that we probably shouldn't even be getting a sequel trilogy. There's so much more to explore in spinoffs, where they can literally do anything they want with a lot less limitations.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #135
Consona
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Great suggestion. After two movies it's absolutely obvious they don't know what to do with the Skywalker saga, even Lucas failed to give us proper saga movies and these two Disney films crossed the into the prequels territory already...

But you still need competent writers and directors, both TFA and TLJ had such a bad/non-existent story, bad character writing, etc., not being a saga movies would not help. Get rid of Abrams who f***ed up Star Wars and Star Trek, what a résumé, don't give Johnson his own trilogy, he can't even write 20 minutes of a good plot, not to mention whole movie or trilogy, ffs. And fire Kennedy whose main goal seems to be forcing her views and agendas down our throats instead of making good movies.

Consona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #136
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Kennedy was/is a a staple part of Lucasfilm that defined the 80's productions and beyond and was entrusted by George to carry things forward so the likelihood of her moving aside or being 'pushed' are limited to say the least.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #137
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consona View Post
Great suggestion. After two movies it's absolutely obvious they don't know what to do with the Skywalker saga, even Lucas failed to give us proper saga movies and these two Disney films crossed the into the prequels territory already...

But you still need competent writers and directors, both TFA and TLJ had such a bad/non-existent story, bad character writing, etc., not being a saga movies would not help. Get rid of Abrams who f***ed up Star Wars and Star Trek, what a résumé, don't give Johnson his own trilogy, he can't even write 20 minutes of a good plot, not to mention whole movie or trilogy, ffs. And fire Kennedy whose main goal seems to be forcing her views and agendas down our throats instead of making good movies.
I'm beginning to think that the OT was a case of lightning that will never strike again. There was a beginning, middle, and end to Luke's story; and trying to make it more than that just doesn't work. It seems like every trilogy they do feels more unnecessary. Spinoffs are fine, but I'm really hoping they just leave the saga films alone after Ep. 9.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #138
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootster View Post
I'm beginning to think that the OT was a case of lightning that will never strike again. There was a beginning, middle, and end to Luke's story; and trying to make it more than that just doesn't work. It seems like every trilogy they do feels more unnecessary. Spinoffs are fine, but I'm really hoping they just leave the saga films alone after Ep. 9.

Well, the story was basically over after ROTJ and the prequels were elaborations on the backstories which were sufficiently explained in the OT.

Had 7-9 dealt with new characters and plotlines featured in the film altogether, without the OT characters, they would have had alot more creative freedom.

Instead , they revisited characters and old storylines which were done for all tense and purposes.

But , what's done is done. I do think after 9 they should end the saga series make the break they claim they want to make, and tell new , original stories and spin offs.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #139
HammerDown
High Tide Or Low Tide

Between these 2 i have a bit of a hard time choosing. But i guess TFA is a bit more solid while TLJ kind of feels disjointed and strange at parts. I'm not a massive SW fan so i don't have any baggage to gravitate towards any of these movies that much. I recognize though that TFA was heavy on nostalgia while TLJ was kind of a bridge between the old and the new with plenty of risks taken and plenty not landing.

The best moment in both of these movies for me was Holdo's sacrifice. It was epic, shocking, beautiful and breathtaking.

HammerDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #140
batman1
Side-Kick

I watched both like 6 times. So I don't know.

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #141
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Tfa

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #142
MaceB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consona View Post

Crossed the line into prequel territory? Uh huh.......

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote