The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #626
Matt Mortem
Clever User Title

Default Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Switch firmware is now on version 3.0 which brings a bunch of newfunctionalityzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Nothing. It adds absolutely nothing. The Switch still has the most bare bones interface and online functionality of any console this side of the PS2.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #627
terry78
Will you shut up?!

So you're saying you like it.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 AM   #628
zenith16
Side-Kick

so as mention this was put up. The only thing of interest are in red.

Switch

Switch system update version 3.0.0 now available
Published 8 hours ago. 37 comments.

Quote:
New system functionalities and improvements.

Switch system update version 3.0.0 is now available for download, Nintendo announced.

The update adds the ability to add friends from your 3DS and Wii U Friends Lists, receive notifications when Friends go online, use the Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable, prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode, and more.
Get the full list of changes below.
Improvements Included in Version 3.0.0

Added the following system functionality
  • Register a channel to receive News for specific games
    • To register, head to News > Find Channels
  • Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
    • To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions
  • Receive notifications when your Friends go online
    • To turn this ON/OFF, head to System Settings > Notifications > Friend Notifications
  • Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
    • To search, head to Controllers > Find Controllers
  • Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
    • To change order, head to System Settings > Users > Change Order
  • Select from six new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
    • To access Quick Settings, hold down the HOME Button
  • Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
    • To lower the max headphone volume, head to System Settings > System > Lower Max Headphone Volume
      * This settings will be ON when Parental Controls are enabled
  • Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
    • To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors
  • Connect a USB keyboard to the dock to type whenever the keyboard is on the screen
  • Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable
    • To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication
      * The NFC touchpoint on the Pro Controller will be disabled while the controller is using wired communication.
  • Update connected controllers
    • To update, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers
    • Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data when insufficient space when downloading other software
      * User save data is not deleted
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
  • Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
  • Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

Read More

Switch,Nintendo,Switch

source: Gematsu

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #629
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Is there no way to turn off the Switch completely using a controller, or turn it on from completely off using the controller?

just seems kind of odd you can do that.

and yeah, I agree, it's time to start adding more media apps and functionality to the system.

the Switch is essentially a tablet. it would be perfect for video apps like Youtube or Netflix. a Web browser would be nice too.

there are USB ports, so you should be able to play your own digital media files on a USB stick.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #630
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Nintendo has always liked to stress that they're a game company not an entertainment company so all the extras like streaming and playing music and DVR and what not are like...we don't care.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #631
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
Is there no way to turn off the Switch completely using a controller, or turn it on from completely off using the controller?

just seems kind of odd you can do that.

and yeah, I agree, it's time to start adding more media apps and functionality to the system.

the Switch is essentially a tablet. it would be perfect for video apps like Youtube or Netflix. a Web browser would be nice too.

there are USB ports, so you should be able to play your own digital media files on a USB stick.
hmmm this isJust like how there are certain things that Sony doesn't have since PSN is structured in such a way to things like changing your username is not really possible (even though they are on places like Steam and Xbox) we also have to remember sony did this same thing not long agon ether with certain feathers that most people complain it should have had from the start too.

any way Nintendo did try certain thing's like tv but they have also pushed they are a game company first and for most. when they do try other multi media functions well they aren't always accepted. Then again they aren't always done in away the audinence want it ether.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #632
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

^ All that extra stuff is not high on my priority list. I got the Switch for Nintendo games and I'd rather have a full functioning VC to play more classic games on it.

However, I'm not going to deny the potential that exists with the Switch.

It doesn't have to go all out on the media features. But, if it had basic media apps like Youtube and Netflix, if it played personal media files off a USB stick, if it had a basic browser like the Wii U had ( which I heard was actually quite good ), it could be a portable all-in-one media machine.

Maybe not the best media machine that could rival an iPad or whatever. But a decent one that more importantly can play the hottest Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario Kart.

It would be perfect for travel and those long trips. A good extra selling point for parents looking to buy it for the kids, imo.

Again, games should be the #1 priority. but the other stuff would just be nice extras to have.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #633
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:

Again, games should be the #1 priority. But the other stuff would just be nice extras to have.
don't worry I fallow. I know what you mean some might argue but I get ya.
but game are still priorty number one. it's be cool if the other were fully apart of that though.

Here's what's new

Quote:
Well, let's just ask the sales department.

The Nintendo Switch has been wildly successful since its launch, often having problems keeping enough units on shelves. During the recent E3 conference, Nintendo kept the momentum going with a list of games releasing for the console in the near future. There's even been praise among the game development community, but Yuzo Koshiro has a different take on it all.
Koshiro is the famous composer and programmer that worked on the Ys series, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog and the first two Shenmue games on Dreamcast. He's also the composer for the Etrian Odyssey series. In a recent interview with Polygon, he spoke about Nintendo's new console, effectively downplaying the innovation of the Switch.
"Switch strikes me as a very Nintendo-like piece of hardware,” he says. “The games that Nintendo makes haven’t really changed over these past 20 years. They’ve had recent hits like Splatoon, but looking at the hardware, it seems made for games like Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon … it seems like they simply wanted to make a system that would allow them to make those games more dynamic, so they could add more expression to their games. They only really want to have people enjoy their own games more. It doesn’t really seem like they are being that adventurous with the system.
If Nintendo is going to keep up with the Switch, I think they’ll need cheaper models, or maybe to make them lighter. If they were to do that, it could become a replacement for the 3DS … but, of course, Nintendo has said themselves that that is not what they’re planning to do. It kind of makes me think, ‘Why does this thing even exist, really?’ In other words, it’s a game system that will allow people to enjoy Nintendo games even more, but at the same time, I’m not really surprised by it and don’t really feel there’s anything novel about it"
Despite the vast amounts of sales while we're still in the early days of the Switch, Koshiro seems to think that Nintendo will have to make some changes to keep people's interest.
There has been some criticism on the Nintendo Switch's lack of multimedia capability, which was stated to not be available "at launch", which seems to be Nintendo-speak for the features being planned in the future. In the latest firmware update, friends lists were beefed up with more features, as well as a few other features. No mention of multimedia yet, but with this update bringing more than just "updated stability" like the last couple, it gives hope to the idea of having things like YouTube and Netflix on our hybrid console.

IN THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
NINTENDO SWITCH

source: http://www.gamezone.com/

Last edited by zenith16; 06-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #634
Matt Mortem
Clever User Title

Quote:
^ All that extra stuff is not high on my priority list. I got the Switch for Nintendo games and I'd rather have a full functioning VC to play more classic games on it.

However, I'm not going to deny the potential that exists with the Switch.

It doesn't have to go all out on the media features. But, if it had basic media apps like Youtube and Netflix, if it played personal media files off a USB stick, if it had a basic browser like the Wii U had ( which I heard was actually quite good ), it could be a portable all-in-one media machine.

Maybe not the best media machine that could rival an iPad or whatever. But a decent one that more importantly can play the hottest Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario Kart.

It would be perfect for travel and those long trips. A good extra selling point for parents looking to buy it for the kids, imo.

Again, games should be the #1 priority. but the other stuff would just be nice extras to have.
All of this. Games are the priority, but the lack of the VC and basic stuff like Netflix, Web Browser and YouTube are real head scratchers. It makes no sense. The Wii had Netflix for ****s sake. The Switch will be an awesome console in a year or so. Right now mine just collects dust.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #635
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
All of this. Games are the priority, but the lack of the VC and basic stuff like Netflix, Web Browser and YouTube are real head scratchers. It makes no sense. The Wii had Netflix for ****s sake. The Switch will be an awesome console in a year or so. Right now mine just collects dust.
well, to be fair, the Switch is only 3 months old.

so, I'm willing to give them more time.

but getting the VC on there should be the #1 priority. And a full VC like on the Wii U and 3DS, not tied to their upcoming paid online service.

I don't want to have to pay a subscription to access certain classic games they curate each month. I want to buy whatever classic games I want.

if they add VC sooner rather than later, then I'd actually be more forgiving and patient about the other multimedia stuff.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #636
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I almost bit on a bundle at GameStop but changed my mind for that reason. It'll be a good console soon but at the moment, it only has a game I've already sunk several hours into. Hopefully stock normalizes by September just before Mario Odyssey.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #637
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I almost bit on a bundle at GameStop but changed my mind for that reason. It'll be a good console soon but at the moment, it only has a game I've already sunk several hours into. Hopefully stock normalizes by September just before Mario Odyssey.
aw, I was wondering if you got the Gamestop bundle. I was considering that too, but I didn't want to order online from GS. I wanted to buy locally at a store.

What game have you sunk several hours into?? Zelda?? Mario Kart??

Yeah, I can understand if you already own a Wii U and have played Zelda and/or Mario Kart, there's little reason to get a Switch right now. Best to wait until later when more titles get released.

For someone like myself, who hasn't played either Zelda or Mario Kart, and who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since Gamecube ( or a handheld since Gameboy Advanced ), I thought it was the right time to get a Switch after watching the E3 presentation. Especially when after 3 months of looking, I finally happened to come across a Switch in stock at a local store, and it was the last one too.

With Zelda now, and Mario Kart and Arms in the coming weeks, and games like Mario, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Pokken in the fall/Holiday, and stuff like Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid Prime in the future, I felt there were enough games to warrant getting a Switch now. I wanted to get it back in March for Zelda alone......lol.

Hopefully, the stock issue will stabilize in the Fall and you'll be able to get one in time for Mario and the other games coming out.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #638
zenith16
Side-Kick

08:09

New DC Movies Won't Suck - The Rundown - Electric Playground

Published on 06/20/2017
1,408 views 13 hours ago

Today in the Rundown, we have good news for fans of DC superheroes! We also have the latest on the Nintendo Switch, find out when new content is coming to Diablo 3,

source: EPN.tv

Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #639
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

just curious, but do Nintendo 1st party titles ever go on sale?

I'm interested in Arms, but I'm not sure it's worth a full $60. For me, $40-$50 would be a better price.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #640
Sithborg
The new ewoks

No. It will be full price for the full life of the system.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #641
PaulCONX
Side-Kick

But it will be on Craigslist for half the original cost in like 2 months.

PaulCONX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #642
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
No. It will be full price for the full life of the system.
really??

thanks. that's good to know at least. I won't be waiting for any sales then......lol.

but how about Black Friday/Xmas, do Nintendo games go on sale then, or no??

Last edited by X Knight; 06-21-2017 at 01:47 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #643
Sithborg
The new ewoks

It's really all retailer specific. I mean, the Amazon and Best Buy discounts apply. And the occasional e-shop sale. But generally, waiting to nab a Nintendo first party game at under MSRP is a fools game, because you have to watch a ton of different retailers.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #644
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

Nintendo games going on sale isn't unheard of, but yeah, the majority of Nintendo published and developed games hold their value insanely well.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #645
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

^^ thanks, guys.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #646
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

You're best off waiting for a Buy 2, Get 1 Free or Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale that some retailers have.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #647
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
You're best off waiting for a Buy 2, Get 1 Free or Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale that some retailers have.
and those apply to Nintendo 1st party titles, too?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #648
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
aw, I was wondering if you got the Gamestop bundle. I was considering that too, but I didn't want to order online from GS. I wanted to buy locally at a store.

What game have you sunk several hours into?? Zelda?? Mario Kart??

Yeah, I can understand if you already own a Wii U and have played Zelda and/or Mario Kart, there's little reason to get a Switch right now. Best to wait until later when more titles get released.

For someone like myself, who hasn't played either Zelda or Mario Kart, and who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since Gamecube ( or a handheld since Gameboy Advanced ), I thought it was the right time to get a Switch after watching the E3 presentation. Especially when after 3 months of looking, I finally happened to come across a Switch in stock at a local store, and it was the last one too.

With Zelda now, and Mario Kart and Arms in the coming weeks, and games like Mario, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Pokken in the fall/Holiday, and stuff like Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid Prime in the future, I felt there were enough games to warrant getting a Switch now. I wanted to get it back in March for Zelda alone......lol.

Hopefully, the stock issue will stabilize in the Fall and you'll be able to get one in time for Mario and the other games coming out.
Zelda. I have MK8, too, but not much desire to replay it. I definitely want one before October since Mario Odyssey will make it even harder to find.

Quote:
and those apply to Nintendo 1st party titles, too?
Yeah, there are pretty much no restrictions. But you want to get the most savings and buy things that are equally priced since they take off the cheapest one.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #649
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Zelda. I have MK8, too, but not much desire to replay it. I definitely want one before October since Mario Odyssey will make it even harder to find.

Yeah, there are pretty much no restrictions. But you want to get the most savings and buy things that are equally priced since they take off the cheapest one.
thanks. I may just wait for such a sale before picking up Arms, as I'm still on the fence about it. I heard Nintendo will be offering free content/DLC to that game, so maybe by then it will have more to offer single-player wise.

oh, and I hope you are able to get a Switch before October. I read online today that in July and August, Nintendo might ramp up production. so perhaps it will be easier to find one over the next few months. and hopefully it will have more features that you want.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #650
zenith16
Side-Kick

this first article segways to another from another site

Quote:
More calls for unity in the gaming community.

Tim Sweeney of Epic Games continues to praise cross-platform functionality. He openly cheered for Microsoft and Nintendo's decision to open up cross-play functionality for Rocket League between Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. He has stated on Twitter that he thinks all platforms should embrace cross-play.
Despite this, Sony seems to have closed off the PlayStation Network from cross-play with other consoles. Although, cross-play with Epic's own game Paragon was possible between PlayStation 4 and PC. In fact, Rocket League has cross-play between PlayStation 4 and PC as well, but there seems to be no interest in Sony to connect with Xbox One or Nintendo Switch players.
Sweeney later joked about an absurd world where Android and iPhone users couldn't call each other, comparing this situation to cross-play between consoles. He suggests there must more to the story between Sony and Microsoft, as the functionality is absolutely feasible.
With a bunch of engineering work, I think an engine (or individual game) could implement that functionality on its own.
— Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) June 21, 2017
Being from Epic Games, this kind of engineering would work great with their Unreal Engine 4, though it has yet to have such functionality.

IN THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
EPIC GAMES

Also with

Why Nintendo decided to allow cross-platform multiplayer on Switch June 22, 2017

Nintendo has explained why it's choosing to let Switch owners play with Xbox One and PC players.Read more

Quote:
Nintendo has explained why it's choosing to let Switch owners play with Xbox One and PC players.

| 06/22/2017 02:45 PM PT

Nintendo stole the show at E3 2017 with reveals of new Kirby, Yoshi, and Metroid titles, as well as Super Mario Odyssey. There’s one feature, though, that has some fans even more excited: Nintendo embracing cross-platform play with other consoles for games like Rocket League and Minecraft.
In a recent interview with GamesBeat, Nintendo of America corporate communications director Charlie Scibetta explained Nintendo’s reasoning. It’s pretty simple: Nintendo is trying to give the players what they want.
“If it’s right for gamers, we’re going to entertain it,” Scibetta said. “If we can make it work, we’re going to do it.
“We want people to have a good time. In the case of Rocket League, if that’s what [players]… want to be able to play cross platform. We said, let’s make that happen. It’s really not more complex than that. Every game is different. Some games are great for multiplayer, some are better as a single-player experience, some are better in all kinds of situations for all kinds of games. Rocket League works best with cross platform play. Let’s make it happen.”
Of course, Scibetta added, the individual developer of each game will have a say in whether or not a game is cross-platform. It’s not all Nintendo’s decision. “In [the case of Rocket League and Minecraft], the developer is into it, so let’s make it happen. We tend to give most of the decisions in terms of what functionality to use for the system—for example, the game pad back in the Wii U days, or motion control for the Wii. We place those decisions in the hand[s] of the development team.”
This attitude could be a good sign that future games on Nintendo’s systems will have the potential to play with others on the PC and Xbox One (sadly, Sony still hasn’t joined in on the cross-play bandwagon). At the moment, though, the only two that we know are getting the feature for sure are Minecraft and Rocket League.
Source: GamesBeat

source: http://www.egmnow.com/& http://www.gamezone.com/