The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #126
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Default Re: The Official Gran Turismo Thread

IMO I think too many of these reviewers including IGN just rushed a review as quickly as they could to get out there. After reading this article I had to laugh, no one mentioned it, which showed a lot of reviewers did not play that much of the game. You can't sit down for a week and get through everything of GT5, it's impossible. Games such as these without narrative and just loads of features, you have to spend at least a few weeks to get most the features.

This game feels like the others, a solid feel, and still just the best racing simulators around.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #127
KALEL114
Impending Return

I am loving it. The amount of things to do is almost overwhelming, but in a good way. This game will take me far into 2011 and further.

Just let me know when you want to get beat by my 730hp Challenger (in the pic) Guardian. I'll give you a head start if you want.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #128
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
IMO I think too many of these reviewers including IGN just rushed a review as quickly as they could to get out there. After reading this article I had to laugh, no one mentioned it, which showed a lot of reviewers did not play that much of the game. You can't sit down for a week and get through everything of GT5, it's impossible. Games such as these without narrative and just loads of features, you have to spend at least a few weeks to get most the features.

This game feels like the others, a solid feel, and still just the best racing simulators around.
yeah but to be fair, they cant waita few weeks to post up a review. This is why publishers give reviewers games weeks in advance before release. This is on Sony for waiting till just as the game was set to be released to distribute copies of the game

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #129
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I'm completely hooked too. This game is so SO great, me and my friends are working through it. That damage article is amazing.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #130
KALEL114
Impending Return

It sucks some much time from my life. Like if I went into a wormhole or something. I start playing and before I know it, 3-4 hours just disappear. We all need to get together for some laps.

IIII
Old 11-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #131
Superhero 101
DESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
It took me 1 and a half hours to install this game. What. The. Hell.
What?!!!

Old 11-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #132
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post
It sucks some much time from my life. Like if I went into a wormhole or something. I start playing and before I know it, 3-4 hours just disappear. We all need to get together for some laps.

Haha racing sims will do that. Thats why these types of games will always trump acrade, Burnout type games. They just cant even come close to replicating the content. I remember when i first got in to GT and then again with Forza, id just spend hours doing NOTHING but tweaking the car. I can recall an all-nighter where the only time i would race would be to test my cars set up, and then id notice the car not topping out in the right gear so itd be back to the setup page to tweak, then back to the track to test. Id do that until i was ready to take the car online, then i got smoked, which meant it was back to the drawing board.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 11-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.
ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #133
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
IMO I think too many of these reviewers including IGN just rushed a review as quickly as they could to get out there. After reading this article I had to laugh, no one mentioned it, which showed a lot of reviewers did not play that much of the game.
Thats a really, really stupid way to implement damage tho. Full damage should be in from the get go. If a noob doesnt want to worry about damage, they should be able to turn it off, but having to keep playing to unlock such an important feature like accurate damage is really really dumb.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #134
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Thats a really, really stupid way to implement damage tho. Full damage should be in from the get go. If a noob doesnt want to worry about damage, they should be able to turn it off, but having to keep playing to unlock such an important feature like accurate damage is really really dumb.
I agree that it's a stupid idea, but the reason why I think it's implemented, is because only a select few cars can get damaged. I think it's only 100 or 200 cars, and those are the ones you can't unlock until you get your level up.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #135
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I agree that it's a stupid idea, but the reason why I think it's implemented, is because only a select few cars can get damaged. I think it's only 100 or 200 cars, and those are the ones you can't unlock until you get your level up.
Ohhhh, yea that makes a bit more sense.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #136
KALEL114
Impending Return

Actually, there are 200 premium cars that are capable of damage. You can access these at the beginning of the game if you want.

The way they implemented the damage is just like how they have always done things in their games. It's all about progression as a driver. You don't have access to every car in the game at first, because you have to earn money to buy them. You can't race every Cup, because you have to earn the right Licenses and the right level to access them. Basically you have to get better to get further. Damage is being treated the same way. They are just trying to make you a better racer by taking you back to the basics and have you progress accordingly. It's all part of the game design. One they have been using since the first GT.

IIII
Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #137
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post

The way they implemented the damage is just like how they have always done things in their games. It's all about progression as a driver. You don't have access to every car in the game at first, because you have to earn money to buy them. You can't race every Cup, because you have to earn the right Licenses and the right level to access them. Basically you have to get better to get further. Damage is being treated the same way. They are just trying to make you a better racer by taking you back to the basics and have you progress accordingly. It's all part of the game design. One they have been using since the first GT.

And thats a really bad way of doing it. The courses and cars make sense, but not the damage. Damage in these types of games is extremely important because it alters the way your car handles. Ruin the aerodynamics of your vehicle and it should become VERY difficult to control the car in excess of 100 MPH. Damage shouldn't be something that is unlocked, that doesnt teach you s**t. Learning what to do and not to do in order to avoid damage is much easier when you can actually damage your car from the get go. Its just a bad system, regardless of rather its been in there from the start.

On the bright side, GT5 has a great damage system(for the most part), but on the flip side, its implemented with a very, very poor system.

I cant really think of a good racer that has great damage. F1 2010's damage modeling is too shallow, so is Forza 3's and only having 200 cars out of 1000 thats capable of damage(did i read that right?) is really a head scratcher.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #138
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel114
Actually, there are 200 premium cars that are capable of damage. You can access these at the beginning of the game if you want.

Well, that's how all racers work. I understand it's all about progression, but with only 20% of the cars that can take damage, it just feels a bit underwhelming. I think if they're going to implement car-damage, it should be for every car.

But that's just my opinion....

Last edited by Travesty; 11-28-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #139
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:

On the bright side, GT5 has a great damage system(for the most part), but on the flip side, its implemented with a very, very poor system.
I think it's alright.

Quote:
I cant really think of a good racer that has great damage. F1 2010's damage modeling is too shallow, so is Forza 3's and only having 200 cars out of 1000 thats capable of damage(did i read that right?) is really a head scratcher.
I haven't played F1 2010, but I like Forza's damaging. Not only does it mess up your aerodynamics, but it also messes up anything on the car(ie. clutch, flywheels, exhaust, tires, undercarriage, etc etc). I'm also not a fan of GT5's tire wear and clutch. The clutch doesn't feel realistic at all. It feels like it's either on or off, like a button. And I've also tried to burn one out a few times, and I haven't had any luck....I dunno, I hate to say it, but this game really isn't doing it for me.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #140
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I think it's alright
Eh, i think damage is something that needs to be on or off, you shouldn't have to earn the right to accurate damage modeling.

Quote:

I haven't played F1 2010, but I like Forza's damaging. Not only does it mess up your aerodynamics, but it also messes up anything on the car(ie. clutch, flywheels, exhaust, tires, undercarriage, etc etc). I'm also not a fan of GT5's tire wear and clutch. The clutch doesn't feel realistic at all. It feels like it's either on or off, like a button. And I've also tried to burn one out a few times, and I haven't had any luck....I dunno, I hate to say it, but this game really isn't doing it for me.

F1's damage is ok, but really the only things that can become visually damaged are the front and rear of the car. You cant see any damage on the actual chassis of the vehicle. Now they do have a pretty good tire wear system with blistering and punctures, but most of the time the only damage you'll see is the front or rear wing coming off with little pieces of the car. AS much of a sim as that game can be, its a little disappointing the damage is so thin.

When it comes to the intricate details of tuning a car, NO game comes close to Forza, like you mentioned the clutch, and the tire modeling of Forza is unmatched. My problem with Forza's damage system is there aren't really any levels to it, hit a car front on at 20 MPH and the SAME damage is done if you would of hit that car doing 60. I also think the roll damage is too simplistic.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #141
KALEL114
Impending Return

Quote:
I think it's alright.

What level are you at? I think you will have to getto level 20 to get minor mechanical issues. Level 40 brings things like major mechanical damage, blown tires, and running out of gas.

IIII
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #142
Solidus
Knights of Ren

The level system is needed. I can tell some may not care for it, but if you've actually been playing the game, it costs a crap ton of money to keep your cars put together and maintained, it is expensive to rebuild engines and so forth. It is that way so that not everything breaks down right away so then your screwed and can't afford anything. There is a reason for it. Some may not care for it but I think it's fine.

This is the best simulator, that is what GT is, it's not an arcade game, the better the tech gets, the better the simulation feel gets. I've been playing this too much, but I love it. And I've been playing GT since the get go, and this is my favorite one so far. You can do an arcade mode if you so wish, but I just love this game so many features.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #143
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
The level system is needed. I can tell some may not care for it, but if you've actually been playing the game, it costs a crap ton of money to keep your cars put together and maintained, it is expensive to rebuild engines and so forth. It is that way so that not everything breaks down right away so then your screwed and can't afford anything. There is a reason for it. Some may not care for it but I think it's fine.
No, i dont see a problem with the leveling system, but having FULL damage not available from the get go doesnt even begin to make sense. You shouldn't have to earn your right to accurate damage modeling. Period. If you just started out racing and you wreck, you'll do the same amount of damage to your car that you would if you'd been racing for 25 years. The level system should keep you from getting the best vehicles and parts at the get go, but damage should not be included with that. Theres no good argument for it, other than to ease noobs in to the game, to which i say they should of just had a system to turn the damage on or off.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #144
KALEL114
Impending Return

Here a few shots from my new favorite track (so far). Cape Ring Periphery.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

IIII
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #145
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
No, i dont see a problem with the leveling system, but having FULL damage not available from the get go doesnt even begin to make sense. You shouldn't have to earn your right to accurate damage modeling. Period. If you just started out racing and you wreck, you'll do the same amount of damage to your car that you would if you'd been racing for 25 years. The level system should keep you from getting the best vehicles and parts at the get go, but damage should not be included with that. Theres no good argument for it, other than to ease noobs in to the game, to which i say they should of just had a system to turn the damage on or off.
It has nothing to do with noobs. The reason is the more damage done to the cars, especially mechanical it costs so much there would be no way to keep up with all the maintenance costs until you get better cars and are making more money in higher circuits.

There is a good reason, I don't care for it fully, but I don't dislike it either. The damage is not just about the visuals, I understand the visual complaint, but the other complaint of it's damage component I agree with that, and the leveling is good for that side of it because there is no way you could keep up with the costs of maintaining the vehicle.

So yea maybe it should have more of the visual damage to it, but the actual damage that is caused and costs money is great when you get up to higher levels, and at lower levels with lower money income from circuits there would be no way you could pay for it. That is the balance they had to do with making it very simulated. So I agree that maybe they should have let visually the damage be the same from the get go, (I'm not near the high levels yet) but in terms of the maintenance cost and so forth, I think the damage should not be as much there in terms of the condition of the car until you level up and can afford to have the cars have many more problems.

So I agree and disagree at the same time. But to me it's kinda in the middle with that aspect. As for the rest of the game I'm in pure love, truly the king of racing sims. Yea there are a few odd choices with some things but as the gameplay itself goes, and the tons of stuff to do I know like the previous 4 titles I'll be playing this for a while.

On another note I just can't get enough of this game lol.

Last edited by Solidus; 11-29-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #146
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Has anyone ever considered getting one of these:

http://playseat.com/shop/playseats-gt-1.html

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. My set up with my MS wheel just isn't comfortable.

And Kalel, those shots are gorgeous.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #147
KALEL114
Impending Return

Quote:

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. My set up with my MS wheel just isn't comfortable.

That is very tempting. Not sure I can convince my accountant wife to get one though.

Yeah the shot with the grass was on accident. I hit a corner too fast and when I tried to get back on track, I noticed something flying up. I saved the race and replayed it, then realized it was blades of grass. I had to snap a pic of it.

IIII
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #148
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:

I would just go with a wheelstand. If your chair is good enough, all you need is something to hardmount your wheel to. I have the Rennsport one, and it folds up, so you can put your wheel in a closet when you have guests over.

I'm not bashing the playseast, it's just a dedicated portion of your house/apartment that your giving up. Also, if you play other games besides racers, you'll have to move your system or playseat so you can play other games.

Last edited by Travesty; 11-29-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #149
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I would just go with a wheelstand. If your chair is good enough, all you need is something to hardmount your wheel to. I have the Rennsport one, and it folds up, so you can put your wheel in a closet when you have guests over.

I'm not bashing the playseast, it's just a dedicated portion of your house/apartment that your giving up. Also, if you play other games besides racers, you'll have to move your system or playseat so you can play other games.

Well the play seat folds up for storage but I figured if I'm not using it for a racing game I'll use the seat as a dedicated gaming chair, but that stand u posted seems interesting. How do you like it? Does it feel sturdy?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #150
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Well the play seat folds up for storage but I figured if I'm not using it for a racing game I'll use the seat as a dedicated gaming chair, but that stand u posted seems interesting. How do you like it? Does it feel sturdy?
It's extremely sturdy, no wiggles or anything. I have my pedals mounted(with velcro), and they don't budge a bit, and the wheel, again, doesn't move. You just adjust the height, and that's about it. When you want to release the main stand, you just twist the knob at the bottom, fold towards the pedals, and put it away.

Like I said, I like it, cause it's easy to put my wheel away when I'm not using it, and can put it in a closet or anywhere you see fit. Everything is hard mounted with screws(no table clamps), but if you just have the MS-wheel, you may need to buy an adapter. I have the Fanatec wheel, which is the same wheel in the picture of the stand I posted above, and it is made just for that wheel, but it's compatible with the Logitec and MS wheels too.

Last edited by Travesty; 11-29-2010 at 07:15 PM.