The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #576
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Checked and didn't see this review from filmtracks posted.

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/man_steel.html

Ouch.
Here's another not so super review for "SuperHans" MOS score.
http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3683#more-3683

I wasn't impressed with the film or score for MOS. Same BS Zimmer craps out for these type of movies. I agree with those that thought the piano piece, which sounds very similar to Elfman's emotional theme for Real Steel, imo, was overrused in the dramatic moments. I found the so called score blended with the rest of the sound effects in the movie seamlessly. This socre can fit with any other action movie from him and MV/RC, which is what I feared about Zimmer scoring MOS. He completely dropped the ball on this score. I never got any chills from the music either. It didn't do anything for me or the film for that matter, The score was just their, imo. Zimmer's score sounded like something for a low budget 80s sci-fi movie and not something I'd expect to hear in a Superman movie. Btw, I'm going off what little I've noticed of the score in the film. I'm not going to bother wasting my time on the soundtrack album. IMO he failed to find the soul of the film which some believed the film lacked anyway. I doubt "whatever it is that people up here keep calling the Superman theme" will have the same impact on this generation the way Williams theme/score continues to do. There's a lot more nuance and heart in Williams' score which Zimmer's MOS score completely lacks. So John Williams all the way. Williams' Superman March here to stay.

Oh and I think he botched the Superman score more than he did with his Batman scores. That's saying a lot coming from me. What Zimmer and co. cooked up for MOS is what this generation will unfortunately associate with their Superman. Pity. But in the end avid Zimmer fans will defend it to no end even if they know it's the same run of the mill rubbish from him.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #577
the last son
Side-Kick

The last two minutes of General Zod is beautiful. Please listen to it on youtube. I have not heard anything that beautiful since Batman Begins

Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #578
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I'm listening to the score from Superman Returns, and not that I think its necessarily better or anything, but one thing that I like about it and realize was missing from Man of Steel was a soft, romantic, magical theme for Lois and Clark. Granted, they didn't really have any true moment for that to happen, but I feel like that was one of the thing that stood out in Williams score as well.

This score has some good stuff that creates an action heavy feeling, and also some soft stuff for the young Clark moments, but it lacks something sweet, which is also a criticism I have with the movie in general and how the Lois/Clark relationship was executed.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #579
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Here's another not so super review for "SuperHans" MOS score.
http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3683#more-3683

I wasn't impressed with the film or score for MOS. Same BS Zimmer craps out for these type of movies. I agree with those that thought the piano piece, which sounds very similar to Elfman's emotional theme for Real Steel, imo, was overrused in the dramatic moments. I found the so called score blended with the rest of the sound effects in the movie seamlessly. This socre can fit with any other action movie from him and MV/RC, which is what I feared about Zimmer scoring MOS. He completely dropped the ball on this score. I never got any chills from the music either. It didn't do anything for me or the film for that matter, The score was just their, imo. Zimmer's score sounded like something for a low budget 80s sci-fi movie and not something I'd expect to hear in a Superman movie. Btw, I'm going off what little I've noticed of the score in the film. I'm not going to bother wasting my time on the soundtrack album. IMO he failed to find the soul of the film which some believed the film lacked anyway. I doubt "whatever it is that people up here keep calling the Superman theme" will have the same impact on this generation the way Williams theme/score continues to do. There's a lot more nuance and heart in Williams' score which Zimmer's MOS score completely lacks. So John Williams all the way. Williams' Superman March here to stay.

Oh and I think he botched the Superman score more than he did with his Batman scores. That's saying a lot coming from me. What Zimmer and co. cooked up for MOS is what this generation will unfortunately associate with their Superman. Pity. But in the end avid Zimmer fans will defend it to no end even if they know it's the same run of the mill rubbish from him.
I had the complete opposite reaction...I actually think the score on its own was a very enjoyable listening experience and there were plenty of moments that I found touching.

However, I'm not sure that it was utilized as well as it could have been in the film. This is either due to the way the film was edited, or perhaps Zimmer's score was just not quite the right score for the film. I'm not sure, but for whatever reason I felt there was a mismatch between the score and film and I'm not sure who is to blame. Ultimately, if Zimmer was going in a direction Snyder didn't think was right I feel it was up to Snyder to make that call. I can only assume that Snyder felt what Zimmer was doing was an accurate reflection of what he wanted his take on Superman to sound and feel like.

Anyway...I know you're just blowing off steam, but honestly...it's so futile and it gets old. Zimmer will likely be scoring Superman for years now and no matter how much you and other Zimmer haters huff and puff, he's not going anywhere. I think it's time to just let it go and focus more on just celebrating the scores you do like. The anti-Zimmer crowd (film score snobs) are a loud vocal minority, Zimmer has way too much popularity right now and he's going to keep getting these high profile projects. You should probably be more mad at Snyder for hiring him than you are at Zimmer for doing what he does.

I'm not even defending the score TBH, I can totally respect the opinion of those that dislike it and see where they're coming from. But at some point you just have to accept that the Zimmer model is what will most likely persist, especially if there is to be a DC on Film universe. I'm not saying you have to like it, but idk...I don't see what continually bashing him accomplishes other ruffling a few feathers.

BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #580
the last son
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I'm listening to the score from Superman Returns, and not that I think its necessarily better or anything, but one thing that I like about it and realize was missing from Man of Steel was a soft, romantic, magical theme for Lois and Clark. Granted, they didn't really have any true moment for that to happen, but I feel like that was one of the thing that stood out in Williams score as well.

This score has some good stuff that creates an action heavy feeling, and also some soft stuff for the young Clark moments, but it lacks something sweet, which is also a criticism I have with the movie in general and how the Lois/Clark relationship was executed.

The Last two minutes of General Zod theme is plenty romantic.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #581
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
But in the end avid Zimmer fans will defend it to no end even if they know it's the same run of the mill rubbish from him.
Or maybe, just maybe, some of us genuinely like it. No! Surely not! Anyone who says they like it is lying to themselves and in denial!

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #582
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Honestly I could barely even hear Zimmer's score over the shrilling sound sound of all the mediocrity.

StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #583
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

I loved the score and the music. It added so much emotion and brought up the epicness of all the beautiful scenes and shots.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #584
the last son
Side-Kick

Yea, I love Zimmer but I have no problem admitting when I don't like his work. I hated Inception and The Dark Knight Rises soundtracks. But love Dark Knight, Begins, Thin Red Line, Last Samurai and Man Of Steel

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #585
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
The Last two minutes of General Zod theme is plenty romantic.
I don't know, it definitely sounds softer, but not as romantic. If anything, its a bit more somber and tragic. I can get why people felt like the movie was too dark, since there weren't really any happy moments that the score captured. There's enlightening and heartwarming stuff, but nothing truly happy.

But like I said, that was sort of the tone of the film. Lois and Clark never had that real romantic moment other than the kiss, and even that was cut short since it was sandwiched in between two major battles.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #586
the last son
Side-Kick

When he rescued her in the cornfield that was romantic and well shot

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #587
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
When he rescued her in the cornfield that was romantic and well shot
It was, but that was another quick moment since he flew off right away to stop Zod at the farm.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #588
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

Anyone else find it odd that the album has the tracks so out of order compared to how they play out in the film?

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #589
the last son
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMylesOBoogie View Post
Anyone else find it odd that the album has the tracks so out of order compared to how they play out in the film?
It's not that bad. I've listened to the whole thing. For the most part it sounds about right. Other than Flight being near the end

Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #590
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's enlightening and heartwarming stuff, but nothing truly happy.
"Flight" and the scene it accompanied gave me pure joy. Best "hero discovering their powers" scene ever.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #591
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Yeah, but here's a post from a few pages ago with a more accurate listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
Okay, for those of you interested, I've figured out a film order that I'm more or less ok with, after seeing the film last night. I'm not entirely sure about the placement of "General Zod" or "Arcade", but I do know that at least some of those tracks are used in those instances (I think those tracks are suites). I couldn't locate "This is Clark Kent", "This is Madness!" or "Earth" anywhere in the film.

On a side note, I was pleasntly surprised to find out that most of the tracks on the album are more or less the versions used in the movie.

So here it is:

CD1: 01. Look to the Stars [02:58]
CD1: 04. DNA [03:34]
CD1: 05. Goodbye My Son [02:01]
CD1: 12. Ignition [01:19]
CD1: 11. Launch [02:36]
CD1: 13. I Will Find Him [02:57]
CD1: 07. Krypton's Last [01:58]
CD1: 02. Oil Rig [01:45]
CD2: 02. Are You Listening, Clark? [02:49]
CD1: 03. Sent Here for a Reason [03:46]
CD1: 15. I Have So Many Questions [03:47]
CD1: 16. Flight [04:18]
CD1: 09. Tornado [02:53]
CD2: 04. You Led Us Here [02:59]
CD2: 07. Arcade [07:25]
CD2: 03. General Zod [07:21]
CD1: 08. Terraforming [09:49]
CD1: 10. You Die or I Do [03:13]
CD1: 06. If You Love These People [03:22]
CD1: 17. What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? [05:27]

CD1: 14. This is Clark Kent [03:47]
CD2: 01. Man of Steel (Hans' Original Sketchbook) [28:16]
CD2: 05. This is Madness! [03:48]
CD2: 06. Earth [06:11]

Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #592
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not that unusual.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #593
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
"Flight" and the scene it accompanied gave me pure joy. Best "hero discovering their powers" scene ever.
Yeah, that's one of the few themes that really help give the scene and movie and "epic" feel to it, especially in comparison to many of the other tracks.

But I guess what I'm saying is that there is no "Love" theme, and that plays more into my gripe about how they built up the romance between Lois and Clark and how I dind't feel like it was truly developed properly.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #594
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, but here's a post from a few pages ago with a more accurate listing.
Thanks.

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #595
moviedoors
Side-Kick

I agree that the "love story" part of it was slight, but I'm not broken up about it. I think it works as is while leaving all kinds of room for expansion in the future. I think the Clark/Lois thing needed to be secondary in this movie.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #596
mclay18
Side-Kick

Even in the context of the film, I thought the score was underwhelming. A big thing is that Zimmer overuses his main idea for Superman, which is a more optimistic reversal on his "The Thin Red Line" theme. The thing is, TRL was a beautiful and atmospheric score... MOS wasn't nearly on the same level. And the drum circle pounding grew annoying, especially during the action sequences. But I did like the piano motif for Lois and the Kents, as well as that gorgeous violin solo when Kal-El's ship blasts towards Earth as Krypton implodes on itself.

I'm listening to John Ottman's Superman Returns score. Even when you deduct Williams' themes from it, it's still a solid superhero score all around. As I'm listening to tracks like "Rough Flight" and "Not Like the Train Set", I'm picturing them playing in two crucial action sequences in MOS. In fact, you can probably cut in half of SR's score in MOS and it would give the film more emotional impact.

I really love some of Zimmer's work, but MOS is one of his weakest efforts IMO.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #597
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Quote:
But in the end avid Zimmer fans will defend it to no end even if they know it's the same run of the mill rubbish from him.

For you :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #598
Jim-El
"My Son"

Quote:
Yea, I love Zimmer but I have no problem admitting when I don't like his work. I hated Inception and The Dark Knight Rises soundtracks. But love Dark Knight, Begins, Thin Red Line, Last Samurai and Man Of Steel
You are the only one I know that hated it. Congratulations.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #599
OutOnAWeekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post
I know exactly which one you are talking about. It plays around when he steals the clothes and looks at the school bus. I'm sorry though, I don't know who plays it.
Guess I will have to go and watch the movie again just to record that song in Shazam and find out. Really sounded awesome to me in the theatre and am getting restless trying to find it.

OutOnAWeekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #600
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
You are the only one I know that hated it. Congratulations.
I'm not a fan of Zimmer's score for Inception, but the end credits arrangement is very kick-ass. But for me, Zimmer is at his best when he's not working on films directed or produced by Nolan (save for Batman Begins) and/or encouraged to get out of his comfort zone. MOS' score, for all the praise fans heap on it, bewilders me. I can understand the totally different approach Zimmer took, and has its definite highlights, but I'm just not feeling it.

Zimmer has been able emulate certain styles of music genres without directly copying from it, instead of going the flowing and ambient route. Muppet Treasure Island was a nice pastiche of the Golden Age swashbucklers, and it had Hans' fingerprints all over it. So it puzzles me why he went to that other route Jerry Bruckheimer loves for Pirates of the Caribbean.

I think Zimmer could've done a better Superman score without emulating or copying Williams' style. He is capable of doing it, making his own take on Superman without abandoning the things that make a superhero score shine.