Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #651
rory
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i know he is not the lead but he is pretty important some people act like it is blasphemy he is even in this movie
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Wolverine should not be in X-Men movies, particularly Days of Future Past in which he is a main character in the comics. The problem comes down to focus. My take is that Wolverine is not a "lead" character. Astonishing X-Men used him perfectly, IMO. Was he a main character? Yes. Did he steal scenes and have his moments to shine? Of course. But was he driving the plot? No. Whedon's run centered on Kitty, Scott, and Peter. And guess what? That focus made Wolverine's scenes more memorable to me (the scene where the beer snaps Logan back to his senses? Priceless).

I feel that Wolverine is more of a "Han Solo/Sawyer" type of character in an ensemble piece. Fans love him. He steals every scenes he's in. But he should not be the "lead" character. It's just not in his nature and it undermines everything that makes Wolverine cool.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #652
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

Maybe it ties into why Quicksilver was apparently so necessary for Singer to throw in there...
He needs to give Kitty's powers the "jump-start"
IDK
Though I still think Northstar could've subbed in just as well.

also, totally agree with rory here^

Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #653
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
That also had the least well known cast... while the ones starring Jackman also had Halle Berry and other huge actors/characters.
Important to not that XFC came after X3 & XOW had done a significant amount of damage to the franchise. They lost a lot of the audience there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
First Class has good central performers in solid roles, but somehow the whole thing doesn't hang together as well as X1/X2. I maintain it's mostly Vaughn's fault (although J. Jones didn't help!).

But it's no wonder FOX sees combining these two casts (and hooking Singer to direct) as more of a sure bet for a follow-up.

While I really like XFC I agree it's a bit wobbly. But I blame that on the uber-rushed production schedule, not Vaughn.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #654
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

I blame it on awful performances and a story and team that was hard to care about
only fassbender and mcavoy saved FC

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #655
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Speculation is one thing. Dozens of people acting as though certain select pieces of information paint a clear picture of what the finished product will end up being is another.
Exactly. Speculation is fine, but overdoing it can ruin a movie. I speak from experience. When you jump on every single bit of information that comes out and then try and twist and turn it in every direction possible, your mind creates all these theories and big visuals that set the bar way too high for the film itself that it just can't meet, and in the end, the film's a disappointment, even if it's good. For several of the last films I've followed, I've not over-thought the news that came out and took it at face value until the film came out, and in the end, I found it to be a much more enjoyable experience and the film could still surprise me.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #656
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
First Class has good central performers in solid roles, but somehow the whole thing doesn't hang together as well as X1/X2. I maintain it's mostly Vaughn's fault (although J. Jones didn't help!).

But it's no wonder FOX sees combining these two casts (and hooking Singer to direct) as more of a sure bet for a follow-up.

Singer was the 2nd choice for director

Fox were happy with how XFc was received and I'm sure they would be as it was considered by many to be the best comic book film of 2011

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #657
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Important to not that XFC came after X3 & XOW had done a significant amount of damage to the franchise. They lost a lot of the audience there.
It's true many felt the film franchise was getting tired and were incredibly surprised by what a fresh feel the film had

Quote:
While I really like XFC I agree it's a bit wobbly. But I blame that on the uber-rushed production schedule, not Vaughn.
it's very well written and Well performed, think that's why it's one of my favourite comic book movies

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-16-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #658
icekid
Side-Kick

Speaking of rushing production, DoFP is taking its time, which is very refreshing! It's been what, 3 and a half months and still no where near done? Bravo! Just don't pull a WWZ...

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #659
Angamb
Banned User

not to mention that they started working on the script on January of last year, so thats MORE than a year with it, awesome!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #660
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Singer was the 2nd choice for director

Fox were happy with how XFc was received and I'm sure they would be as it was considered by many to be the best comic book film of 2011
Singer wrote and was originally set to direct First Class. We could play this game all day...

Singer jumped into DOFP because things behind the scenes changed...and he saw an interesting opportunity.

FOX may have been pleased with First Class' overall performance...but it's clear that they weren't 'over the moon' about it...otherwise we'd be seeing a direct sequel.

...And then The Avengers happened.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #661
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
FOX may have been pleased with First Class' overall performance...but it's clear that they weren't 'over the moon' about it...otherwise we'd be seeing a direct sequel.

Maybe. But it's possible this was the plan all along, at least from Singer and Donner's end? It just seems to fit too perfectly to past statements.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #662
marvelrobbins
Banned User

DOFP was In planning before the avengers opened.

Singer was already Involved as producer before taking over as director.He may end up with a story credit when writing credits come out next year.

They wanted to give Vaughn first crack at next X-Men film after DOFP.AFter co writting script he bailed for pet project Secret service which also happens to be at fox and Vaughn took over as producer on FF.So you can't claim there Is bad blood between vaughn and Fox or that Vaughn hated the idea of DOFP since he co-wrote script.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #663
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Singer wrote and was originally set to direct First Class. We could play this game all day...

Singer jumped into DOFP because things behind the scenes changed...and he saw an interesting opportunity.

Singer was still 2nd choice because he was originally just going to just be producer with vaughn directing

and they already decided to give FC sequel in 2011, and maybe the avengers influenced the cross over idea but either way we was gonna see the FC guys cast again

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #664
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
DOFP was In planning before the avengers opened.
i think you give singer to much credit that he planned it all out way in advance

there is no proof to suggest this

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #665
marvelrobbins
Banned User

work begain on script for DOFP In early 2012 before avengers opened.It's crazy to think
the thought of doing DOFP only happened after the avengers opened.

Donnor has beeen wanting to do DOFP for years.She and Singer talked about a X4 during work on DOFP.Plus the X2 treatment she talked about back In spring 2011 was almost certinly DOFP.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #666
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
work begain on script for DOFP In early 2012 before avengers opened.It's crazy to think
the thought of doing DOFP only happened after the avengers opened.
Was it early 2012? Fair enough in that case

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #667
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quit using Wolverine as a crutch, damn it.

So Marsden don't even get to come back for this one?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #668
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Quit using Wolverine as a crutch, damn it.

So Marsden don't even get to come back for this one?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yes.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #669
terry78
I don't die, fool

Well ok then. Bone thrown to a hungry dog move it may be.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #670
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
What would be the ideal line-up for an X-Women film.
-Storm
-Jean
-Rogue
-Psylocke
-Emma
-Polaris

And they all have different hair color!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #671
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the new news makes it seem less likely we'll get the iconic Wolverine being vaporized by a sentinel scene. I would be pretty bummed if they left that out, because that image is one of the most iconic in X-men history.

However, it is still possible. Wolverine could meet that fate in the past, but if the X-men successfully change the timeline he wouldn't stay "dead."
I'm not disappointed with these latest plot details.

It would actually give the modern day X-Men more to do rather hiding and fighting against the Sentinels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Or the mainstream audience just wasn't interested seeing a X-Men film without Wolverine or the other more well-known characters. The younger version of Magneto and Professor X weren't even recognizable as Professor X and Magneto.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 07-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #672
Mr.M
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Wolverine should not be in X-Men movies, particularly Days of Future Past in which he is a main character in the comics. The problem comes down to focus. My take is that Wolverine is not a "lead" character. Astonishing X-Men used him perfectly, IMO. Was he a main character? Yes. Did he steal scenes and have his moments to shine? Of course. But was he driving the plot? No. Whedon's run centered on Kitty, Scott, and Peter. And guess what? That focus made Wolverine's scenes more memorable to me (the scene where the beer snaps Logan back to his senses? Priceless).

I feel that Wolverine is more of a "Han Solo/Sawyer" type of character in an ensemble piece. Fans love him. He steals every scenes he's in. But he should not be the "lead" character. It's just not in his nature and it undermines everything that makes Wolverine cool.
Personally, as long as they can fix this timeline and sort of give this franchise a rebirth, should Wolverine have to be front and center one final time, I can live with it. I am sure we will be getting some expanded universe stuff, and Jackman won't star in all of them. As far as X-Men movies, this is probably the last traditional X-Men movie we get with that classic favor for some time, so Wolverine has to be a part of that. Do I think Singer can pull this off? If I had to bet, I'd say the movie has a good chance of collapsing under its own weight, but at least they are giving it a shot. That's all you can ask for.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #673
Destructus86
Side-Kick

At this point they should just call this movie series a reboot...because Fox completely screwed up the lore for their own connected films. It doesn't even make sense anymore if you compare it to the other X-Men films.

Beliefs - Christian. Anti-Republican. Anti-Gun. Complete separation of church and state. Freedom of speech. Freedom to practice any religion in public. Less focus on foreign lands and more focus on our own problems.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #674
marvelrobbins
Banned User

Hugh Jackman has let it slip that
The post credit scene of the wolverine involves preview for DOFP

meanwhile about Jean
Reviews have said her appearances In the wolverine are merly dreams of Wolverine

Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #675
Melapi
Side-Kick

In The Wolverine premiere Famke basically confirmed she's not going to return for DOFP:
Quote:
''I do feel a little bit like I'm missing out on the party. They're all my old friends. I wasn't invited to the party. But then, you know, they weren't invited to 'The Wolverine' party and I was. So there!''

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/fa...-party_3767105

Closed Thread