The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Default "you're MY boy" - one of if not the best scene in the movie

I'm not going to argue about how ASM2 is better than what the world says about it. It's pretty clear it's on everyone's disappointed list and with all the things wrong with I can see why but I still believe this is the best spiderman movie ever.

And one of the reasons why is the my boy scene. That was so touching. With the raimi series, I did not really care at all for the peter/aunt may relationship and it may be due to the actors portraying them. With that said, the acting alone from peter and aunt may now makes me really really care about them.

Sally Field is a legendary actress and Andrew garfield does a really convincing job - I really wish they had more screen time together or at the very least just gave aunt may more screen time.

The ASM franchise really is kinda going down the drain but regardless of that, however they continue it, I want to see the aunt may and peter relationship develop more in the future.

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
OriginalMiles
Banned User

Default Re: "you're MY boy" - one of if not the best scene in the movie

....do we need this thread at all?

I didn't like this scene much, to be honest. It was decent, but I didn't feel it was as great as other people made it out to be.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Green Goblin
Twip

My mum cried at this scene but not Gwen's death

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
2017 Spidey reboot ideas
The following post is my opinion so take it as you will.
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
LEVITIKUZ
Banned User

Was it good? Yes but it's pointless. We need an entire scene for Aunt May to tell Peter you're my boy? I mean you raised the kid. It just shows how bad this film series is that we need a scene with Aunt May telling Peter he's her boy. We should know that but they choose to focus on this whole parents subplot.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Green Goblin
Twip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
Was it good? Yes but it's pointless. We need an entire scene for Aunt May to tell Peter you're my boy? I mean you raised the kid. It just shows how bad this film series is that we need a scene with Aunt May telling Peter he's her boy. We should know that but they choose to focus on this whole parents subplot.
Because he's obsessed with the mystery of his parents. She tells him that she considers him her son as she was basicly his mum for like all his life. He needs to stop thinking about his "perfect parents" and come back to the real world.

He then goes to talk to Gwen straight after, she's what is important.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
2017 Spidey reboot ideas
The following post is my opinion so take it as you will.
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
chaseter
Barf

Rosemary Harris isn't a legend?

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
it gave us an insight into their peter and mays relationship and how aunt may feels is a very real and human emotion

peters parents left him as a child to her and ben and they raised him like their own, ben was killed leaving just peter and may in a way that they only have each other really... so is the "you're my boy" scene needed? no but alot of scenes ain't needed if you wanna look at it like that, but its a damn well good scene between the 2

they could have just glossed over it and had may be someone who takes the day as it comes while peter has his adventures and occasionally says something inspirational to peter, but why?

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
LEVITIKUZ
Banned User

We shouldn't be told Peter is May's boy. That's the problem. We should know it, we should see it, we shouldn't be told it like this is the first time we've seen May and Peter have a mother-son relationship.

With Man of Steel at least (as bad as it was), we still saw how Ma Kent was a mother to Clark without the audience being told through dialogue she is a mother figure to Clark. Hell after he saw his Space Dad we never saw that Ma was being replaced. Clark even said he's not going anywhere and attacked Zod when he attacked his mother.

The problem with this series is we have to be told everything. We have to be told Peter and Harry are friends, we have to be told who Peter's parents are and what happen, we have to be told Aunt May is a mother figure to Peter instead of shown through actions.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
we have to be told Aunt May is a mother figure to Peter instead of shown through actions.
i think you are kinda missing the idea, of that one at least, i don't think its mean't to be telling the audience this, its mean't to show may as a character with her own worries and anxieties and its very real reaction

its like the scene in TASM with the eggs... was it needed? no they could have just skipped from peter on the building to the funeral, but it was a nice touching scene between the 2 of them

Old 06-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
SpideyK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Pretty much my thoughts. It was both well acted and well directed.

However, there wasn't really much point to it, and it played out at the absolutely weirdest place in the film.

It's Orci and Kurtzman at it again.

SpideyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
So true. These movies are all about telling you things and not showing them (Peter and Harry are old time best friends, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyK View Post
Pretty much my thoughts. It was both well acted and well directed.

However, there wasn't really much point to it, and it played out at the absolutely weirdest place in the film.

It's Orci and Kurtzman at it again.
Absolutely. It was a fine scene for all intents and purposes, but yes, it had no real need to be there (along with the entire hackneyed, dragged out parents plot)-

Also, I found that these scene was ruined when Peter, the preternaturally, never wrong wunderkind had to chime in about May not getting things "twisted". I swear, Peter is such an obnoxious know it all in these films. I guess it's just a way of scoring points and being more "identifiable" for an audience/demographic who thinks of themselves the same way (and judging by how many on these boards find Peter in these films to be "relatable", I'd say they hit their mark).

Last edited by Par Avion; 06-10-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Par Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Airnick
RTTS

^what do you think makes Peter a know it all in these films?

~*SHH SIX~*
Co-Leader
Spider-Man's Back 7/7/17

https://www.instagram.com/airnick20/
Airnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

That was a great scene and Sally Field played it brilliantly

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airnick View Post
^what do you think makes Peter a know it all in these films?
In this particular scene, Peter is written once again, to be such a cool, infallible know-it-all, that he is the one that teaches his aunt how to share info about his birth parents. Appalling.

On an adjacent note, the Peter Parker in the TASM films is nearly sociopathic. It's all about "ME" all the time with him. This Peter discards the verbalized needs of every character he comes into contact with. Just bizarre...

Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
SpideyK
Side-Kick

I hope he'll be a little different in ASM3. I'm not as hard on him as some other people here, but he definitely says some stupid **** - especially in ASM2.

SpideyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Avion View Post
In this particular scene, Peter is written once again, to be such a cool, infallible know-it-all, that he is the one that teaches his aunt how to share info about his birth parents. Appalling.

On an adjacent note, the Peter Parker in the TASM films is nearly sociopathic. It's all about "ME" all the time with him. This Peter discards the verbalized needs of every character he comes into contact with. Just bizarre...
He didn't "teach" her , He convinced her

As for everything else you said I think the egg scene as pretty much not "ME"

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
He didn't "teach" her

He convinced her

Regardless of what you want to call it- it was a moment for May to share her feelings in an instance that should have put Peter in his place (as far as the concern over his parents goes), but no, he ends up being the one telling her what she should/shouldn't have done. Just another instance of know-it-all, chip-on-my-shoulder Peter Parker being infallible and never wrong. What an extraordinary character

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
As for everything else you said I think the egg scene as pretty much not "ME"
Wow. He picked up eggs. A normal everyday chore/errand that any teenager should be expected to do anyway. One, tiny, almost negligible detail. lol. It's very telling that this non-point is being used as an example of Peter's selflessness in these films. lol!

People get distracted by the tangible details (eggs) and miss the big picture (Peter being all but directly responsible for two father figures and his girlfriend). Peter is nearly a sociopath in these films in his utter disregard for the verbalized needs of every character he comes into contact with.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards

This Peter's a sociopath now?

By the way, he does help people, he does this thing, where he puts on spandex, and runs around, saving people. Kind of the premise of the movie (unless you count the three villian teamup that never really happened but was still advertised in trailers as the premise)

Oh, and he's pretty fallible to, unless getting your gf killed, both enraging and killing the police captain, envoking Aunt May's fury, coming out with "Those are the best kind", causing a car accident ect. as not fallible.

Heck, we we having a big discussion the other day about how Peter DID make mistakes in these films, and how it was awful. Seems like the conversations done a complete 180, hard to keep up.

The biggest day in CBM History. He is Home.

Vale P.J.H 63*
BRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
Streetlight
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you might be missing this from the point of view of an orphan who was abandoned without explanation. Obviously Peter sees her as a mom like figure in his life but there's still the 'she's not really my mom' thought, especially when he's going through his own hard times anyway.

Streetlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post
This Peter's a sociopath now?

By the way, he does help people, he does this thing, where he puts on spandex, and runs around, saving people. Kind of the premise of the movie (unless you count the three villian teamup that never really happened but was still advertised in trailers as the premise)

Oh, and he's pretty fallible to, unless getting your gf killed, both enraging and killing the police captain, envoking Aunt May's fury, coming out with "Those are the best kind", causing a car accident ect. as not fallible.

Heck, we we having a big discussion the other day about how Peter DID make mistakes in these films, and how it was awful. Seems like the conversations done a complete 180, hard to keep up.

Yes, he makes mistakes and many, many, poor, selfish decisions- but never learns from any of them, and in fact seems to revel in them (and the film certainly doesn't take the opportunity to explore them in any meaningful way either)- that's the problem.

Of course I'm exaggerating when I say sociopath, but it's peculiar the way that this Peter discards the very clear, verbalized needs of every other character in his life.

Last edited by Par Avion; 06-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!

As much I didn't like the film overall, this was one of the scenes that I thought were done extremely well.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #22
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards

So what you're saying is that he is fallible now? That's good. I didn't see him celebrating Gwen's death, we'll put it that way.

Yeah, I think you're taking one aspect of being a sociopath, and labelling a character as one using that aspect. Kind of like labelling Toby Spidey as Autistic (softly spoken) or Thor as a maschocist (have you seen those arms?!)

Edit:Was a tad rude in this post, sorry about that, in a huge rush

Will go a little more in depth upon my return

Vale P.J.H 63*

Last edited by BRAB; 06-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #23
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post
So what you're saying is that he is fallible now? That's good. I didn't see him celebrating Gwen's death, we'll put it that way.

Yeah, I think you're taking one aspect of being a sociopath, and labelling a character as one using that aspect. Kind of like labelling Toby Spidey as Autistic (softly spoken) or Thor as a maschocist (have you seen those arms?!)

Why would he celebrate Gwen's death? Who is even saying that? No one. He's "fallible" in that he makes many poor decisions and then doesn't learn from any of them. He's infallible in the way that he's vicarious fantasy, wish fulfillment material.

I use sociopath because a telling trait of a sociopath is the lack of concern for the feelings of others.

and as I said previously:
Peter is nearly a sociopath in these films in his utter disregard for the verbalized needs of every character he comes into contact with.

Which is true, and fits the bill a whole lot more than trying to peg Tobey's Peter as "autistic" (huh?), because he's "soft spoken" sometimes? Seriously? I don't even know where to begin with this...

Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Toby's Peter did seem more autistic tbh

Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards

Calling Andrew Peter a sociapath because of a percieved lack of care about others (which is ridiculous anyway) is just a flawed as calling Macguire Peter autistic because he is softly spoken (and his mannerisms as well, social awkwardness, ect)

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

"Lack of love" for example, don't think Garfield PP has a problem feeling love.

You said

Quote:
"Yes, he makes mistakes and many, many, poor, selfish decisions- but never learns from any of them, and in fact seems to revel in them (and the film certainly doesn't take the opportunity to explore them in any meaningful way either)- that's the problem."
revel and celebrate are practically the same, so yes, as Gwen's death can be attributed to a mistake Peter made, that'd be you saying he revelled in Gwen's death.

Kind of confused, so he's infallible and fallible at the same time? Feels like you're changing the goal posts just a tad mate.

In fact

Quote:
He's "fallible" in that he makes many poor decisions and then doesn't learn from any of them. He's infallible in the way that he's vicarious fantasy, wish fulfillment material.
Vicarious fantasy? As in people want to be like him? Who's wish is to make poor decisions? Who wants to live vicariously through a person that makes mistakes.

You're all over the shop mate, it's hard to keep up.

Peter does indeed show concern for the people around him and their needs, people already brought up the egg example, which you promptly dismissed, so I'm not sure if more examples will change your mind. But to bring another one up, he seems relatively compassionate to max, he helps that little kid with his wind turbine, gets the **** beaten out of him for that Gordan child, gives Dr Connors that formula to help him fix his arm, refuses to give harry his blood out of fear that it'll kill him. He has a heart, and he's nowhere near a sociopath.

So yes, calling Andrew PP a sociopath could be considered just as ridiculous as calling Toby PP autistic.

Vale P.J.H 63*