The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 11-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Default Deftones Appreciation Thread - Because they deserve it , damnit

Hands down, one of my all time favorite bands. One of the best live performances I've seen as well. Chino puts so much energy into it. Anyone else like them ?

hellblazer103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
Ash J. Williams
Hail to the king

Default Re: Deftones Appreciation Thread - Because they deserve it , damnit

Yes, I enjoy their music. The moment Headup played in the movie Manic with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I was hooked. I think it also helps that I'm a Glassjaw fan as both bands sound similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Campbell
B movies won a long time ago; the A movies just don't know it yet.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash J. Williams View Post
Yes, I enjoy their music. The moment Headup played in the movie Manic with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I was hooked. I think it also helps that I'm a Glassjaw fan as both bands sound similar.
I was a fan and heard Headup before I saw that movie, so once that scene came in , I was just ecstatic. Such a great scene.

I actually recently made a Punisher music video with that song :

I've heard of Glassjaw , but have yet to check 'em out . If they're similar to Deftones, then I should definitely dig them.

Currently jamming out to this , even if it isn't summer, lol :

What's everyone's thoughts on Gore ? I think it's yet another great album by them, but I've noticed it's gotten some hate from certain circles. Then again, I guess some people will just hate on anything that's new. When I last saw them live, they played Acid Hologram, (L)MIRL and the title track and all three are even better live.

Last edited by hellblazer103; 11-05-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Chino Moreno was only 15 years old when Deftones formed, but somehow he got through the 90s without getting arrested…

The Deftones singer has been at the forefront of alternative metal since the band first appeared in 1995 with their debut album Adrenaline, going on to influence a whole generation of rock bands. But it hasn't all been plain sailing. "We're lucky to have made it through," he says. "I used to take it as far as I could."
Here he 'fesses up to the drugs, the fights and a paralysing fear of flying…

WHAT’S YOUR DRUG OF CHOICE?

“These days, I would say coffee. I like it because it makes me feel awake. I usually have a cup in my hands within 10 minutes of getting out of bed. That’s about as rough as I get these days, and it feels good.”

ALRIGHT THEN, WHAT’S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE DRUG?

“I’ve never liked hallucinogenics. I don’t like crystal meth any more, but there was a time when I really did. It’s one hell of a drug – I’ll never touch that stuff again.”

WHAT’S THE WEIRDEST THING YOU’VE SEEN WHILE YOU WERE HIGH?

“Probably myself in the mirror after being awake for days, even weeks at a time! We’re very lucky we made it through some of those times – I used to take it as far as I could. I don’t regret it because it’s part of who I am today, but I’m glad that stuff isn’t part of our lives any more.”

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED?

“Not once, and I’m quite proud of that. You can read it in two ways – either I’m an angel or I’m very devious! I know it’s not very rock’n’roll, but I’m lucky to say I’ve never even had a pair of handcuffs on.”

WHAT'S THE WORST FIGHT YOU HAD ?

“I got into a fist-fight with Stephen [Carpenter, Deftones guitarist] once because someone threw a pack of toilet roll at me while we were onstage. It wasn’t unravelled, so when it knocked me, it ****ing hurt! I was fuming backstage because I felt stupid but Stephen thought it was the funniest thing and started filming me. I got angry and broke his camera, then he got pissed so I ended up jumping on his back and choking him. It got pretty rough!”
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE TOTALLY STARSTRUCK?
“I saw Robert Plant the other day – that was pretty ****ing rad! We were staying at the same hotel in Chile and he walked right past me in the lobby. I’ve seen him in magazines since I was a kid, but I actually had to do a double take to make sure it was him! I was thinking about asking him for a picture but I know how annoying that can be, so I decided to play it cool.”

WHAT WAS THE MOMENT YOU REALISED YOU’D MADE IT AS A ROCK STAR?

“I was really stoked when we started playing shows outside of Stephen’s garage! When we played our first show, there definitely was a moment where I felt, ‘Wow I’m in a band, that’s pretty cool!’ I don’t really consider myself a rock star, but I think that was when I first felt like a legitimate musician.”

WHAT’S THE WORST IDEA YOU’VE HAD?

“I’ve had a lot of bad ideas, and probably will have a lot more! Abe [Cunningham, Deftones drummer] keeps trying to convince me that there are no bad ideas.”

WHAT’S THE WORST THING YOU’VE EVER READ ABOUT YOUR BAND?

“I’ve read a lot of stuff that isn’t flattering, like people calling us rubbish or ****e. I try not to read too much into stuff like that – if we play a great show, I’ll go to sleep knowing we ruled. If we play a bad show, I don’t want to read about how bad it was!”

WHAT’S THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING YOU’VE EVER BOUGHT?

“I don’t really own anything expensive. I’ve bought stuff like jewellery and watches and then lost it. Nowadays I buy $20 watches so I don’t care if I need to buy a new one! I bought a hot-air balloon once, but it flew off and now Richard Branson has it!”

WHAT’S THE WEIRDEST THING A FAN HAS EVER GIVEN YOU?

“Herpes? Just joking. A knife, a prosthetic limb… all kinds of weird ****.”

HAVE YOU EVER UTTERED THE WORDS: “BUT DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?”

“I have, but not in that way. I might have tried it getting through airports or stuff like that, trying to get through customs quicker! But I try not to be that guy.”

HAVE YOU GOT ANY PHOBIAS?

“I hate flying, but I have to do it all the time. I guess it’s a phobia I just deal with. Putting yourself in a piece of metal that high in the sky always feels like a bit of a gamble to me.”

WHO GETS MORE CHICKS: SINGERS OR DRUMMERS?

“Drummers. I hear they bang all night.”
http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-...f-chino-moreno

Damn. Had no idea Chino did meth back in the day . I always assumed he was just about the booze and coke back then .

Also, lol @ that last quote .

Last edited by hellblazer103; 12-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
LoGain

I had no idea that on the forum like this might be a post devoted to Deftones. Like them and Chino 2

LoGain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGain View Post
I had no idea that on the forum like this might be a post devoted to Deftones. Like them and Chino 2
There's love for them across the globe Love Chino's side projects as well.

Infact, let's take a moment to appreciate them :

Last edited by hellblazer103; 12-16-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Deftones' Stephen Carpenter: My Favorite Weed Story

Deftones guitarist Stephen Carpenter recently shared his favorite weed story, going back to the band's appearance on the Big Day Out Australian tour back in 2003.

As Stephen tells Fret12, it all started with one joint in the lobby of the Marriott Hotel in Melbourne.

He said: "We smoked the whole joint and had our drinks and had a great time. No one said a word to us, not once throughout this whole joint. I said to Juan, 'I'm gonna roll another one. No one's said anything, it's gonna be alright.'

"We repeated this process all the way to 8 joints, and the whole entire lobby was a full-on party. The bar was raging! Every single light that you could look in down any corridor in the hotel, you could see the smoke - the light going through it. We set it off. That was my greatest getting high experience ever.

"We topped it off by repeating the same thing again the next night after the show, only this time we had a little bong with us. We were raging. At 10 o'clock or something like that we were totally high and we had the munchies. We went and got Chinese food.

"We came back and they'd saved us seats in the area we were at, they cleaned our bong and served it to us on a tray. That was the one getting high experience I could talk about forever. It can never be topped."

Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
The Bruce
The First and Best

I'm here thanks to Bad Rabbits

The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

I know what you mean haha. They did a pretty great cover of Sextape. I'm glad they opened the doors to another great band for you.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

REALLY hoping to make it to this! Rise Against and Thrice are great as well.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Duuuude, so you were the one who commented on my video with that Darkman video ? It's a small world, lmao. That vid was dope.

Thanks man, I have a few other vids with Deftones songs and loads of other stuff as well.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
OcStat
Side-Kick

I am stoked for the upcoming tour but don't think I'll make it... seeing Thrice and Deftones on the same show would be amazing. Seen Thrice a few times but have never seen Deftones. Middle of summer at an outdoor venue in AZ is not ideal though, ha.

Deftones are one of the bands that was a game changer for me first time I heard them. The "My Own Summer" remix from the PS1 game Street Sk8er 2 was the first time I heard them, if I recall correctly. A friend at school would wear a Deftones shirt all the time and I was like "Oh that's that one band herherher". He recommended "Bored", which was like the story of our life at the time. Vividly remember buying Adrenaline on a road trip and playing it to death the whole drive home. The hidden track "Fist" sealed the deal, great jam.

I dig almost all of their albums but for whatever reason I haven't listened to Koi and Gore enough. Diamond Eyes was a friggin' masterpiece and I was very happy for them to keep on keepin-on after Che's passing, but for some reason the records after it feel like the self-titled record...more of the same. Not that's it's ever bad, I just have to listen to them more maybe.

Team Sleep was a great record, Zach Hill's tracks are highlights and it also introduced me to Rob Crow, who does vocals on "Elizabeth". He sings and plays bass & guitar in Pinback, phenomenal band. Highly recommended.

Fond memories of hanging out in high school with my old band mates watching the White Pony era "Live in Hawaii" DVD and just being super inspired. Bumping Saturday Night Wrist when it first came out... 5 brilliant tracks opening it up one after another, and "Rats!Rats!Rats!", some straight murder from Stephen Carpenter. Not to mention "UUDDLRLR A hold start", the mellow jams are always quality with Deftones, half the reason I hold them in such high regard.

Yeah I could go on and on for days my friends.

Last edited by OcStat; 02-22-2017 at 10:29 PM.
OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

It's worth it , dude. After having seen them twice , I can say they put out some of the best live shows ever.

I LOVE the acoustic performances on Live In Hawaii , but the non-acoustic ones are downright awful, as much as I hate to admit it. It's even worse when they try to mix them both at once and it ruins something that was already good, lol. I prefer the solely acoustic performances on it.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
Matt Mortem
The King has returned

Awesome to see a Deftones appreciation thread. Stephen is one of the guys that defined how I play guitar. I own every album and jam to that **** at least weekly.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
Awesome to see a Deftones appreciation thread. Stephen is one of the guys that defined how I play guitar. I own every album and jam to that **** at least weekly.
It's pretty much daily for me, lol. Stef is a highly underrated guitarist. I love his style.

This is my morning jam right now (Though " Good Morning Beautiful " is probably more fitting , lol )

Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Also, this happened recently. They've been making a point to play songs that they haven't played in years and " songs that they've NEVER played " ( as Chino stated in a recent FB live stream ) , so this is hella exciting. They also played Street Carp and Minus Blindfold in this show , and I can't really find videos for that , so HOLY **** am I jealous of those who witnessed that.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #17
Matt Mortem
The King has returned

Kimdracula has always been a favorite Deftones jam of mine, but they can't really replicate that song live too well.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
Kimdracula has always been a favorite Deftones jam of mine, but they can't really replicate that song live too well.
They opened with that one last time I saw em.... It's not easy for Chino to do the " I really WISH THEEESE SNAAAKES WERE YOUR AAAARMS " part, considering the original version of that part was heavily edited and contorted and **** , but when he ****s up vocally , he makes up for it with his energy. I don't really blame them for having difficulties replicating that song live.

I really hope they keep up this trend of playing old school songs they haven't played in a while or songs they've never played during the Thrice/Rise Against tour. I NEED Pink Maggit in my life. I gotta say, though.... Teething ain't the same without Chi's screams.... As much as I hate to say it

Speaking of Minus Blindfold, I made a music video to that a while back, if anyone's interested :

Last edited by hellblazer103; 04-25-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #19
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

So... Apparently, Chino broke his foot on stage and cancelled a couple shows. Some would say he should've just continued with the schedule, but I'd say this; when most people think of a Deftones show, more often than not, they think of Chino jumping into the crowd, being carried by them, screaming in their faces , jumping and running all over the place, etc. If he's physically unable to do that , then so be it, because it's like this ; I don't wanna undermine the importance of the rest of the band members or the music itself, but it's literally Chino's job as frontman to perform , and ... well, perform he does. It's simply not the same without that aspect.

That's just my take on it, though...

Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #20
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Felt like this thread was in need of a bump.

I'm surprised I never got around to asking this, but what're everyone's feelings on Gore? I personally loved it just as I love every other album by Deftones, but I've noticed it's been getting tons of hate from even the most "hardcore " fans.

Also, did anyone get to see them on this tour or are about to see them ? How were they ? How were Thrice and Rise Against, as well ? I was curious as to how they'd be live.

I did get to see a few clips from the current tour, such as this performance of Headup :

It's a shame to see that they keep choosing to play Mini Maggit over Pink Maggit, though. Infact, they've NEVER played Pink Maggit, as far as I can tell. It's almost as though they're afraid to, lol.

EDIT: I just noticed that I DID ask about everyone's opinions on Gore... I just never got a response. Lol

Last edited by hellblazer103; 07-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
guitarsingerguy
Who am I?

Chino is incredibly impressive live. He's one of those people that I never thought was going to be able to pull half of his vocals off live, but he killed it. Abe Cunningham is also one hell of a drummer. You tend not to think of the drummer in these kind of bands to be that great, but man Cunningham ****ing rocks. He's great with his fundamentals, and he stays in the pocket. I mean... he's no Danny Carey, but who is?

Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #22
OcStat
Side-Kick

I was listening to Diamond Eyes yesterday, first time in a while.

A damn near perfect album.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #23
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Huge 'Tones fan. I've seen them 6 times, most recently being a year ago.

I liked Gore. It's not my favorite, and I don't like it as much as Diamond Eyes and KNY, but I think it was cool for something a bit different. The back half of the album is damn solid.

Totally agreed about Abe. He's always been underrated IMO.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
thalidomide
The Enemy

I love this band! Strangely enough, I wasn't aware that this band exists until I saw Korn on MTV. I went to my friend's house who's also into bands and ask him if he has the new Korn album and he said, "Forget that, listen to this instead". Then he gave me his White Pony album which is my first exposure to this band.

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
OcStat
Side-Kick

I remember in 7th grade, my friend that showed me the band hated their new album at the time, said it was too soft.

That album was White Pony, hahaha.