The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

View Poll Results: AMH (as Mike Engel)...
Is (or will become) the Riddler. 33 27.97%
Is simply a reporter. 85 72.03%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #4901
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Default Re: Anthony Michael Hall in TDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonkeyDong View Post
From what I was told by someone who worked on set, is that AMH is never actually referred to or even mentioned by the name Edward Nygma or Riddler, HOWEVER...

He continually runs stories on his broadcast about both Batman and Bruce Wayne, and eventually decides to air his master theory on how the two are one in the same person. Right before he does this, the whole mix up where Harvey Dent proclaims to The Joker that he is Batman happens, and it throws Mr. Engel for a loop. He plays a part in assisting the Joker with airing his "people will die/man of my word" videos, and will stop at nothing to unmask Batman. In a final scene, maybe 10 minutes before the movie ends, we see Mike at a desk, with a sheet of paper that reads "WHO IS BATMAN". He stares at it intensely until we get a shot of him drawing a giant question mark at the end of the sentence, end of scene, last we see of Mike Engel.

Look, I'm only going by what I'm told, so please, go easy on me...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It sounds too good to be true. I can already picture AMH lookin at that sheet of paper. If there's one thing that man can do.. is intense looks! Which is pretty awesome considering he started out like this...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #4902
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Sounds like something that would typically be suggested on a message board. Which is just a mixture of the Ra's reveal and the Jokercard reveal.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #4903
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Maybe it's Robin?

America today finds herself in a unique situation... to become involved in a bloodless revolution
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #4904
Dcknight
Je Me Souviens

I really loved the fact that he is a reporter that doubt who batman is, I personally see what nolan to show us with dent mobs, joker scarecrow gordon & harvey, all the impact that batman cause in a city, not only in his personal life but in the life of everyone. The impact in the police, the election the gouvernment and even a Tv show reporter. He get really deep in his story and I admire his work.

Jim Morrison
Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #4905
Jacobhiggins
Side-Kick

Quote:
From what I was told by someone who worked on set, is that AMH is never actually referred to or even mentioned by the name Edward Nygma or Riddler, HOWEVER...

He continually runs stories on his broadcast about both Batman and Bruce Wayne, and eventually decides to air his master theory on how the two are one in the same person. Right before he does this, the whole mix up where Harvey Dent proclaims to The Joker that he is Batman happens, and it throws Mr. Engel for a loop. He plays a part in assisting the Joker with airing his "people will die/man of my word" videos, and will stop at nothing to unmask Batman. In a final scene, maybe 10 minutes before the movie ends, we see Mike at a desk, with a sheet of paper that reads "WHO IS BATMAN". He stares at it intensely until we get a shot of him drawing a giant question mark at the end of the sentence, end of scene, last we see of Mike Engel.

Exactly what I thought would be a cool way to introduce the riddler. You can look in my post history and see where I said this scene almost to the T!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #4906
Nepenthes
Side-Kick

Quote:

See, if something like this actually happened you'd still have dudes coming up here saying "but that doesn't mean he's the Riddler, he's just a reporter who draws on paper, everyone draws on paper, AMH is just a TV actor, blah blah ". Anyway that's the EXACT scenario I've had pictured in my head all this time, and it's so easy, it's only one small step away from what we already know happens. But because that description is so paired down I have to call fake. Nolan probably wouldn't do something that I could so easily think of myself.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #4907
hegele
Side-Kick

Quote:

i like, really like that.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #4908
gambit420
Side-Kick

that's actually another good way of reinforcing the thought of Batman creating inadvertently his future villains...by Mr. E just his obsession on questioning everything or "life's little riddles"..but the main question is...who is

Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #4909
Crook
Banned User

Man, I wish I hadn't read that. That sounds really bad-ass and is sure to make all the batfans go nuts.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #4910
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
See, if something like this actually happened you'd still have dudes coming up here saying "but that doesn't mean he's the Riddler, he's just a reporter who draws on paper, everyone draws on paper, AMH is just a TV actor, blah blah ". Anyway that's the EXACT scenario I've had pictured in my head all this time, and it's so easy, it's only one small step away from what we already know happens. But because that description is so paired down I have to call fake. Nolan probably wouldn't do something that I could so easily think of myself.
But to people that have never read the comics that is exactly what it would be. A guy who draws on a paper. Even people who knows the comics wouldnt get it. The only way you would get it is if you have been following the AMH/Riddler speculation.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #4911
Nepenthes
Side-Kick

^ You really think so? Man. I guess if you do that'd be a pretty major obstacle but I don't see that happening at all. Riddler is one of the great rogues that anyone with half an awareness of Batman will recognise. Even putting Frank Gorshin aside, the Riddler was friggin Jim Carrey. It's not like no one saw that movie, and if people remember anything from Batman Forever it was surely Jim Carrey prancing about like a drag queen in green tights. Also just reading your comment, you do know that we're talking about him drawing a question mark right? I really don't see how anyone who knows Riddler could miss that connection (or people who once knew him, but have naturally forgotten him since, which I'm guessing will be the majority of the audience). Especially over the course of the movie as Engel talks about mysteries and cover-ups etc. Who else has question marks all over their suit, what other movie incorporated a question mark into its logo?

Even if it isn't clear instantly all it takes is one simple question & answer as people walk out of the cinema. "What was up with that guy?" "Oh he's gonna be the Riddler, you fool". "You mean like Jim Carrey was, whoa, that's weird, that reporter didn't seem gay at all. Hmm." As you can see it's not like explaining the plotline of Syriana or anything.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #4912
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

I know who the riddler is. But come on think about it. Pretend all this riddler speculation didnt exist. We would see him being a reporter in the movie for what we can assume being a very small part. Then we see him drawing a question mark on a paper. I know it might sound good, it wouldnt be a that good reveal because everybody writes question marks at the end of questions. It would be like if the last scene of Batman Begins Earl would look at a purple jacket in a store and we would assume he has become the Joker or if the last scene of Rachel we would see her being in her house feeding her cat and assume that she would become Catwoman.

You cant have him playing a character call Mike Engel and then by writing a question mark on a piece of paper we would assume that he is playing the villian Riddler which is a different character of which hw is playing. It doesnt work.

What COULD work though is if you have the riddler in a movie but we or Batman dont know who it is. We only see him finding letters from the riddler in different places with different riddles. In a case like that it would work. Because then the audience are aware that the Riddler is in the movie and will be thinking 'Who is the Riddler' through out the whole movie. The a guy writing a questionmark would be enough for the people to know.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #4913
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

I'm now convinced after reading that spoiler that Nolan has found the cleverest way to introduce the Riddler. I've never read a Riddler origin that I thought was worthy of the character.

One thing I'd like if they do use the character in the next film is if they were to do the question mark tattoo on his neck like DC did recently. Toning down the number of question marks to just his neck and his tie or a lapel pin would be great.

I'd also like to see protrayed more as a thinking villain than just some bizzare puzzler.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #4914
ActuallyRobin
Side-Kick

I cannot wait to see the film to put this speculation at rest.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #4915
Oryon
Side-Kick

AMH does have some questionable eyebrows.

Sorry didn't mean to fan the flames.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #4916
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laderlappen View Post
I know who the riddler is. But come on think about it. Pretend all this riddler speculation didnt exist. We would see him being a reporter in the movie for what we can assume being a very small part. Then we see him drawing a question mark on a paper. I know it might sound good, it wouldnt be a that good reveal because everybody writes question marks at the end of questions. It would be like if the last scene of Batman Begins Earl would look at a purple jacket in a store and we would assume he has become the Joker or if the last scene of Rachel we would see her being in her house feeding her cat and assume that she would become Catwoman.
Not even remotely the same.

If it's anything to go by, Nolan will surely linger on that shot of the question mark, just as he did with the playing card. Moreover, "Who is the Batman?" is something a lot of people associate with Riddler, given he has an obsession with solving riddles. In the bat-universe, none is more significant than solving his identity. With the great public awareness this character has, I truly think you'd have to be a moron not to realize who is being hinted.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #4917
bonesawmcgraw
Banned User

I doubt AMH is the riddler. There already exists an Edwad Nashton in Nolans universe. Check out the 2nd edition of gotham times the opinions section.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #4918
Crook
Banned User

Hardly an indicator of anything.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #4919
Zohan Dvir
Side-Kick

I gotta admit that "reveal" does sound cool legit or not.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #4920
Oryon
Side-Kick

I'm really starting to sway toward AMH being The Riddler. Of all the villains, The Riddler seems the most obvious choice to be included in Nolan's world and AMH seems like the obvious choice to play The Riddler.

Hopefully all of this speculation on The Riddler, Batpod, bleached skin etc... will be laid to rest with TDK.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #4921
bonesawmcgraw
Banned User

Who's Reese? isnt he the guy who breaks into Wayne corp and discovers Batman's identity. I think he's more likely to be the riddler, rather than some famous reporter whose name everyone knows.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #4922
Oryon
Side-Kick

Yeah but the actor who plays Reese is a relative no name. I'm thinking Nolan would cast a fairly big name to play a major villain.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #4923
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

My thoughts:

WHY AMH MIGHT BE THE RIDDLER:

-The Riddler is an important Batman villain.
-It would be cool to show a backstory for the Riddler before introducing him as a villain, much like TDK does for Two-Face.
-Chris Nolan is showing the impact Batman's arrival has had on Gotham and its citizens, so it makes perfect sense for a person to become OBSESSED with figuring out his identity, and this person could be Riddler.

WHY AMH MIGHT NOT BE THE RIDDLER:

-I agree. AMH has had many film roles, and a starring role on a popular tv series (Dead Zone) for many years, but still, he's relatively a lesser known actor, and Nolan seems intent on giving his Batman franchise a big name cast. But also, maybe AMH just REALLY impressed Nolan in his audition.
-The Riddler was a tvs show host/journalist? That's not exactly the backstory I would expect for the Riddler. Wasn't he a scientist? Isn't he supposed to be a genius-level intellect? I dont think someone like Chris Matthrews or Bill O' Reilly strikes me as a "Riddler". haha.

and those are my thoughts.
Greg

Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #4924
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

I could see Anderson Cooper as a supervillain or superhero or maybe even Dan Abram

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #4925
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
If it's anything to go by, Nolan will surely linger on that shot of the question mark, just as he did with the playing card. Moreover, "Who is the Batman?" is something a lot of people associate with Riddler, given he has an obsession with solving riddles. In the bat-universe, none is more significant than solving his identity. With the great public awareness this character has, I truly think you'd have to be a moron not to realize who is being hinted.
That is not even remotely the same.

Gordon and Batman are talking about a murderer. Showing the card to reveal who it is.

Anthony Michael Hall is playing a character name Mike Engel. Write on a piece of paper is what everybody does like everyday. Nobody is gonna pay attention on a very minor character writing on a piece of paper. Some people think that AMH can be somebody else and thats why you think it would be easy to get. But if you think some random person would get that AMH would just suddenly be somebody else by writing on a piece of paper, then you ARE a moron. How many times has a character become a different character like that? And how many of those times wasnt the character mentioned or dressed as the character? Seriously, get real!

I dont see a difference between Rachel feeding her cats and Engel writing on a piece of paper. What if Rachel drew a little kitty, would that make everybody go 'So Rachel is Catwoman ey'? And dont say that's not the same thing. Like I said, the only reason you see it working is that you see AMH playing a different character than he is even before the movie starts, and that you are prepared to see some sort of reveal.

Closed Thread