bored
One Sexy Lemur

Default Re: Avengers cartoon - Part 1

Liechtenstein.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #753
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Ok, just saw episode 25. Quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire season so far.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #754
herofanatic90
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Ok, just saw episode 25. Quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire season so far.
did you see ms. marvel?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #755
Darkness Falls
We Could Be Heroes.....

this morning's episode was epic
loki's voice is perfect, sinister but theres a manipulative charm about it

Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #756
MarvelWarrior
Does what a Spider can

Ulik the Troll!!!!! And Cap seeing all those dead soldiers creepy. And of course Loki was behind the Breakout. Cool to see Sif and Company! Hulk is a beast and Cap talking smack to Hela!

Last edited by MarvelWarrior; 04-10-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #757
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Avengers cartoon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomfangs125 View Post
I agree about what you said about Bloom. Brian Bloom seems to be a perfect voice actor Captain America. Same as Kevin Conroy is for Batman and Steven Blum is for Wolverine.
To be fair, while Marvel Animation doesn't always cast too many "well known" actors for their voice roles, often because WB has deeper pockets for that sort of thing, they still usually cast solid actors for their TV shows. Whatever complaints I had about, say, "WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN" or "FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD'S GREATEST HEROES", they usually weren't in regards to the voice actors.

Still, casting Capt. America for anything I can't imagine is an easy job. Justin Gross, who played Cap in the "ULTIMATE AVENGERS" films, I always thought sounded too "young", even if I am aware that Ultimate is a different beast, so for that it was okay. Bloom sounds a lot more like I'd imagine a 616 Cap sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I think Rick D. Wasserman is perfect as Thor, he has one of the best Thor voices I've ever heard.
He certainly has settled into his role as Thor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
It was nice to finally see some Thor Vs. Ultron action. Been waiting for that since Next Avengers.
So have I. In fact, not having a proper Avengers show or DTV at the time was a demerit against "NEXT AVENGERS" - although young characters that stuck too closely to cliches was perhaps the biggest hurdle (and a hurdle not even Greg Weisman has entirely avoided so far in "YOUNG JUSTICE").

One episode left to review and I am all caught up with the land down under, mate! Episode 24 is "This Hostage Earth" (which is a title that has that old school Stan Lee vibe), which is written by Michael Ryan. It continues the Asgardian subplot that was re-introduced in a way in episode 20, was mentioned through the Ultron episodes and now starts to come to a head, since this is near the season finale.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It also features a rematch between the Avengers and the Masters Of Evil. The Masters, including their leader Baron Zemo, continue to be used as pawns by Amora, who herself is doing Loki's bidding. However, one thing that is assured in villain alliances are double-crosses.

Manipulating Grey Gargoyle to immobilize Karnilla the Norn Queen so her magic Norn Stones can be stolen, Amora sets upon Zemo with her latest quest, and his latest plan to take over the world and defeat the Avengers begins. Gargoyle looked great, although I do wonder if trapping Karnilla in stone for only an hour would be the most fool-proof plan. At any rate, Zemo sets about his trap to divide the Avengers. At that moment, Stark and T'Challa have revealed their latest plan to try to get Thor back home to Asgard, and with a little flashback from Capt. America handy, they manage to find the 8 magical "leylines" that connect Earth to Asgard - which represent the nine realms according to the Norse life tree. Seven of them start to flare up, so Iron Man dispatches all of the Avengers to investigate each one alone - playing into Zemo's hands. In a way, there is a flaw to this plan; Zemo sought to divide the Avengers so that each one would have to battle a Master one on one (except whichever Avenger happened upon Red Skull's old base in Norway, where Zemo and Amora awaited). Yet if Pym was on the active roster, that would be 8 Avengers, which means unless two went to Norway by chance, at least one of his Masters would have been double-teamed. Pym did quit the team, seemingly, despite Wasp's plea - but there's no way Zemo could have known that. Zemo met all the active Avengers in "Masters Of Evil" so he knows there are eight of them now; he recruited Living Laser and Chemistro (both voiced by Nolan North) to bolster his ranks because of being outnumbered last time. Maybe Zemo somehow bugged the mansion again or Amora somehow knew via magic that only "seven" Avengers would be divided, but I wouldn't have minded a line stating that. Especially since Pym's interference later on would become a key detail.

Whether due to awkward writing or sheer luck, Zemo's plan initially goes according to plan. Thor arrives in Norway, where he is double-teamed by Zemo and Amora. The rest of the Avengers (sans Pym) are all split up amongst the world and against a different Master. Iron Man is pitted against Living Laser, who seems to be the psycho of the group and merely wants to fry him to ash - continuing where he left off in "The Breakout". Hawkeye is pitted against Chemistro, who is insulted that Clint can't even remember having met him. It is somewhat amusing that a Luke Cage villain of all things has become a mid level opponent in a big show like A:EMH. That's like if someone made Kangaroo a Master. The Hulk has a rematch against Skurge the Executioner (although much of the fight happens off camera, which was a little irksome; I expected more from these two). The living legend of WWII is pitted against the Soviet era armored man - Cap Vs. Crimson Dynamo. Finally, the thoughtful Panther is pitted against the manipulated Wonder Man, and Wasp is stuck fighting the fairly sexist and overconfident Abomination. It is rather amusing that despite Abomination being a Hulk villain, he has fought the Hulk very few times in this series; instead he has fought the size-changing Avengers and Thor more often. While I am in a modest nit-picking mood, I did wonder that if the Wasp can grow to giant-size, at least to punch Ultron once, why couldn't she do it again when Abomination was about to squash her? I know it was so Giant-Man could arrive and rescue her, and defeat Abomination for the second time in a row, but I was curious.

Things look bleak for a while after Thor is captured and Amora starts doing her thing, putting Earth at the center of the world tree and connecting it to Asgard such that Asgardian creatures start arriving, from ghosts of the dead to fairies to Frost Giants and elves. One that seemed to bare an uncanny resemblance to Legolas from "LORD OF THE RINGS" kept giving Hawkeye "a dirty look", which was pretty damn funny. Thor's plan to get Zemo to work against Amora backfires when Zemo instead takes over her mind with a control collar. It was a little dismaying that Thor couldn't overpower Zemo in a duel; rather than simply shove him back with his leg, why not just kick him? Aside for little bits like that it is an intense episode. The Avengers seem to save the day, but they ironically accomplish a similar goal to what Malekith wanted to do in episode 20; disconnect Earth from the nine realms. All of the Avengers are seemingly lost and Thor is back in Asgard, where Loki sits upon Odin's throne. As some of us predicted, Loki was exploiting Thor's time away from Asgard to take over, and he used Amora as a pawn to help push that along by sponsoring the Masters and so on; it is very likely that Loki sparked the breakout in the first place to attain such a goal; he was willing to manipulate the Wrecking Crew personally in the mini-episodes, after all.

There are only two episodes left in the season, and they should be available for air next week. I honestly hope that Disney XD foolishly deciding to allow other English-speaking networks overseas to air episodes won't suffer too harsh a ratings drop due to that, but as a second season is assured (and being produced as we type), it might be moot for the moment. I imagine the next episode will focus on the Avengers who aren't Thor, while the season finale will have them all unite against Loki and his horde. Supposedly, Screen Actors Guild rules claim that most TV cartoons can't have more than 13-14 credited voice actors in an episode, although all of them may voice up to three characters; which is why types like Phil LaMarr and Nolan North get as much work as they do. This was one of those episodes that stretched that limitation, if it does exist - I heard it mentioned by some JLU writer/producer at some point back in 2006.

Theories abound about who was truly responsible for the breakout. For a time, some thought it might be Kang. However, the true culprits may be either Nick Fury or Loki. I would prefer it to have been Loki for a few reasons. Firstly, it ties into his general plot, which has been to utilize Thor's love for "Midguard" as a distraction to keep him away from Asgard so Loki could take over there. Secondly, nothing like a mass jailbreak of super-villains to amuse a god of mischief. Thirdly, it would be an homage to AVENGERS #1, in which Loki's latest scheme to destroy Thor inadvertently formed the Avengers in the first place. It was an act he often regretted, although in later stories, such as Dan Slott's run of MIGHTY AVENGERS, it was something he exploited. The micro-episodes made it obvious that Loki could never take over Asgard so long as Thor was always there to thwart him, and capitalizing on his tiff with Odin and his defense of earth seems like a no-brainer. Nick Fury himself remains a dark horse candidate because of his shady tactics. Having Black Widow enter deep cover into HYDRA so much that he was willing to have her frame Hawkeye for treason, as well as stealing Iron Man's tech, qualify. Fury wanted Iron Man to mobilize other heroes for some time, rather than do everything like a lone wolf - what better catalyst than the breakout, which worked? The biggest caveat is that it was a risky strategy, as the villains who escaped imperiled the world many times over, and there was no guarantee that Iron Man and his buddies would be able to stop them every time - they often didn't. Iron Man allowing the Hulk to join them was also not something that could have been foreseen. Loki makes far more sense.

The Masters Of Evil are solid opponents for the Avengers. It is always cool to see baddies try to team up like the heroes, and when a "pile on" doesn't work, engaging in one-on-one kung fu matches is often standard procedure. At the very least, this show has managed to keep Red Skull, Baron Strucker and Baron Zemo distinct, which is the main thing.

Finally caught up with reviews, and ready for the final two episodes of season one. Bring 'em on!

Last edited by Dread; 04-10-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #758
venomfangs125
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herofanatic90 View Post
did you see ms. marvel?
No Ms. Marvel, frankly if she was gonna make an appearance it would have to be at the very, very end of tommorow evening's episode where she says 'hey, you guys busy?' or something. Either that or she appears at the very beginning of season 2.

This episode was, er...Very, very fast paced.

So Loki has the Odin Force, eh? Has that ever been done before in the comics? How they're gonna stop him, who knows? Sorry BigThor, even if Thor cuts loose next episode Loki's still gonna hand the Avengers their asses.

Loki didn't specifically say he was behind the Breakout, though. He just said that....I'm gonna need to watch the episode again.

Last edited by venomfangs125; 04-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #759
MarvelWarrior
Does what a Spider can

I wish more were given as to how Loki had the power to steal the Odin Force. And that Hulk fight scene was epic. Hulk is Strongest there is!!!!! Love seeing the Warriors 3 and Sif. And Cap standing up to Hela is awesome. First thing I noticed when he was in the land of the dead was no Bucky of course.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #760
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Love it, love it, love it. Another solid episode, building to an insane finale. It was great seeing Iron Man not being able to rely on his suit, and Hank really kicking butt and showing some real heart for Jan.

I wonder if
Cap not seeing Bucky in the Land of the Dead
will have greater repercussions next episode, or if it will a constant thorn in his side next season. Either way, I'm eager to find out.

But the number one moment of the episode for me? Hulk shouting, "HULK IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!" That's what this show is all about - the little geeky moments.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #761
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
(and a hurdle not even Greg Weisman has entirely avoided so far in "YOUNG AVENGERS").
Weisman is doing another Marvel show so soon?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #762
ladyloki
Side-Kick

The best episode by far ... The Avengers were awesome , everyone kicked ass . Love seeing the team ups between the warriors of the other realms and the avengers Loki is EPIC !!!!!!, he is sinister but you can feel the rage and pain behind it ... cant wait to see that in the Thor movie .. !!! I cant wait for the next episode AWESOME SHOW !!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #763
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Speaking of voice actors, the bad news is that Steven Blum isn't playing Wolverine in the Madhouse anime dub. It's Milo Ventigmiglia.

- CM Punk
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #764
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

is it just me or is the animation looking better already and did u guys see the main Valkyrie chick, how kool was that? but sif looks weird

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #765
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Avengers cartoon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
Weisman is doing another Marvel show so soon?
An error, which has been edited.

That said...it is a shame Weisman didn't get more seasons of "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN", and he probably could have made a helluva X-Men show.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #766
bored
One Sexy Lemur

Sif's face looks like it's been lifted a few too many times.

This was a pretty badass set-up to the season finale. Like the last episode, the Avengers are split up, this time around the 9 Realms.

Giant Man gets to do the fighting this time, instead of Wasp, who is using her power of being super-comatose. He ends up in Jotenheim, fighting Ymir and the Frost Giants. Ymir, notably, has the Casket of Ancient Winters on his chest. It's less badass in a world that is already constant winter. Pym's apparently okay being violent at this point, as he pretty enthusiastically grabs a fallen giant's axe to fight with. Eventually he does need a save from Sif and the valkyries (one of whom is obviously modeled after Brunnhilde).

Thor is in stocks, assaulted by Loki's evil magic exposition powers. Basically, he confesses to throwing their last fight (from the mini-episodes) in order to be banished and lose Thor's attention. He then arranged for the rift between Thor and Odin, and the breakout, basically to guarantee that Thor would go to Earth and focus on the troubles there.

Hulk, still with Skurge's axe, takes on some ogres transporting prisoners. After getting dogpiled by a few, and being told he isn't strong enough to beat them, he utters "Hulk is the strongest there is", throws a bunch of monsters off, and uses his sonic clap, creating a giant shockwave that basically wins the fight and frees the prisoners (who include the Warriors Three). Seriously, that clap was big, like "last act of "Ultimate Destruction"" big.

Black Panther is... somewhere, being chased by dark elves/ghosts/... Haunters? I'm not even sure if he talks. Eventually he jumps down a well.

Hawkeye is chased by wolves, and finds himself teaming up with the elf that was giving him a dirty look last episode. They run, they fight, they assume they're going to die until Panther shows up, having jumped through the aformentioned well (I believe wells as modes of inter-realm transport are actually tied to Norse mythology in some way, otherwise the writers just wanted to pay homage to Mario).

Cap finds himself in Niffleheim, mocked by spirits resembling the Howling Commandos, who encourage him to accept death. Being Cap, he eventually overcomes it, reasoning that Jack Fury would not be so resigned to such a fate, and that they couldn't be real since Bucky wasn't there. What can I say, he doesn't know that his old buddy might be off soldiering through the winter. His segment ends with him about to challenge Hela.

Iron Man, sans most of his armor, is rescued by a group of dwarves, who are soon attacked by Ulik. Ulik, btw, is a rock troll that gives Thor a lot of trouble. Stark gets a decent shot at the beginning with his one working gauntlet, then eventually wins the fight by dislodging part of his pacemaker and hitting Ulik with the full power of his ARC reactor. While that really should have killed him, apparently the Dwarf King replacing the piece (and good that he thought to do that, right?) was enough. The Dwarf King then announces that he's taking him to their last stronghold, the forge where Mjolnir itself was created. Stark ends the segment with a wink, asking if he can make a suit of body armor.

The episode is, again, a lot like last week's, with action and little else, giving all the Avengers but one (and alternating which size-changer that one is) a chance to shine and have a badass moment. Hulk fans especially should enjoy his fight.

Take that, Dread!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #767
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomfangs125 View Post
So Loki has the Odin Force, eh? Has that ever been done before in the comics? How they're gonna stop him, who knows? Sorry BigThor, even if Thor cuts loose next episode Loki's still gonna hand the Avengers their asses.

Loki didn't specifically say he was behind the Breakout, though. He just said that....I'm gonna need to watch the episode again.

I'm not really expecting it anymore, Iron Man is going to get some powerful new armor and you know Marvel can never make Hulk look bad. It looks like they're going to be the main ones "saving the day" in terms of fighting.

*shrugs shoulders*....oh well, so much for that thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
The episode is, again, a lot like last week's, with action and little else, giving all the Avengers but one (and alternating which size-changer that one is) a chance to shine and have a badass moment. Hulk fans especially should enjoy his fight.
You forgot Thor, he didn't have a badass moment either.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=543581

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747

Last edited by BigThor; 04-11-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #768
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Ah, but I bet Thor's gonna have the coup de grace moment in the finale.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #769
Drz
Real Hero

Tonight! Bring on the epic finale! =)

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #770
Nathan

Ironman's moment was freaking hilarious and badass.

Ulik: "BWAHAHAHA! And who are you?!

Ironman: *lifts hand* FSHAAAMMM!

"I'm Ironman."

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #771
cUbA_LiBrE
Side-Kick

Bucky was not seen in the land of the dead, but the guy on the left kneeing. Was that James Howlett? He should not be in HEL either or was it some other soldier?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #772
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Must be someone else. Kinda suprised Dum Dum Dugan was there though.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #773
Franklin Richards
Banned User

I don't think those "spirits" were actually the people they resembled. I think Hela was using Captain America's memories to lure him to his death.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #774
Nathan

Then why wouldn't she use Bucky if they were all from Cap's memories? I'm sure they are all dead. And since Logan has probably been with one foot in hell a couple of times, maybe Hela had enough of him to form that illusion. It was probably meant to be some random soldier though. They probably reused some stills and hoped that the face would be unrecognizable enough.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #775
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Maybe she has the power to make illusions of the dead. Otherwise all the heroes of WWII went to Hell instead of Valhalla. That ain't happening.

Closed Thread