The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #401
Mr.M
Banned User

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
only way id ever want a period piece fan4 is if they're brought back to modern times. but even then that's sorta taking away the essence of Cap. F4 needs to be able to interact with modern day characters. they're not a stand alone series like the X-men could be
In that event, I would go with a post-Avengers piece where it doesn't have to be in the same universe as the MCU, but it should be the foremost superhero team in the world. Have them deal with HUGE threats, like parallel space/time dimensions, alien invasions, and other apocalyptic scenarios that are scientifically inspired, and not simply relegated to individual villains like Doom. I just think the FF concept loses some luster alongside the Avengers. If they were that fantastic, then where the hell were they all along? So either make it a stand alone franchise (not tied to X-Men or Avengers) dealing with threats on a global scale in the far future, or make it such that they were the team dealing with these threats before the Avengers in the 60's and 70's. I don't think it would be outlandish to believe such a team could have existed in the MCU considering how far fetched it has become since the Avengers. Then maybe superheroes could have fallen out of favor until the Avengers showed up.

Last edited by Mr.M; 07-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #402
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

... i only want it as part of the MCU haha. They arn't the avengers... they're adventurers.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #403
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I just think the FF concept loses some luster alongside the Avengers. If they were that fantastic, then where the hell were they all along?
I think that's an element of comics and films that requires some suspension of disbelief.

Look at every Batman film made. If Superman was around, he could have just swooped in, cleaned all that s*** up, end of story. But if they create a shared world with Superman and Batman, I certainly hope they don't tie their hands and say: "We can't tell this story. It wouldn't make sense if Superman was around."

Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #404
Crimz
Side-Kick

I don't want the F4 to be set in the past, it would limit what they could do in the MCU. But it is a good idea though. The Avengers and the focus on the cosmic side has kind of set up the story for the F4 already. Because of the events in New York Reed is enlisted to investigate other life in the universe or something. Then he takes the others to space or the Negative Zone, they get powers then focus in their first adventure and Villain. Them getting their powers can be quick and not dragged on and now they have a motive that links with the Avengers to some extent.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #405
Mr.M
Banned User

I see Reed as a guy that could have worked with a Hank Pym in the 60's and 70's. A character like Wasp works better in the 60's and you can preserve some of that flamboyance. Then these guys sort of passed the torch and inspired the Stark's and Lang's and Franklin's of the world. There are enough characters to place there and give the MCU some history. Assuming a distribution deal was ever worked out with Fox, this is the route I'd like to see Marvel take. Kinda silly that all these heroes only pop up in the 2000's.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #406
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I have a bad feeling about this:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/08...-so-secretive/

Why so secretive? I think the most logical assumption is they'll unveil the (up until then) secret cast of the FF. Can anyone suggest a better reason for the secrecy? Please?

The idea that it's Hugh Jackman makes no sense because he would be a big draw and they'd want to talk it up prior to get a big turn-out.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #407
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I have a bad feeling about this:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/08...-so-secretive/

Why so secretive? I think the most logical assumption is they'll unveil the (up until then) secret cast of the FF. Can anyone suggest a better reason for the secrecy? Please?

The idea that it's Hugh Jackman makes no sense because he would be a big draw and they'd want to talk it up prior to get a big turn-out.
Unless FOX has managed to sign some big names to the FF reboot, black Johnny Storm and one of the Girls cast members would be a disappointing reveal. It seems much more likely that it will be an Avengers -style DOFP appearance, with the full cast on stage together for the first time.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #408
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

DOFP has a much better chance of showing up than F4. I'd really be shocked if they suddenly brought the F4 to comic con un-announced. That also sounds incredibly iffy... because for the first time ever, they could potentially get booed at comic con

Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #409
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Unless FOX has managed to sign some big names to the FF reboot, black Johnny Storm and one of the Girls cast members would be a disappointing reveal. It seems much more likely that it will be an Avengers -style DOFP appearance, with the full cast on stage together for the first time.
Quote:
DOFP has a much better chance of showing up than F4. I'd really be shocked if they suddenly brought the F4 to comic con un-announced. That also sounds incredibly iffy... because for the first time ever, they could potentially get booed at comic con
Here's my concern: They do have a weak cast put together. They realize that if they announce that weak cast character by character over the coming weeks, people like us will crap all over it.

So they want to do it on their terms at an event like Comic-Con so they can make it seem exciting in front of a group of hyped-up, friendly fans. . . instead of the more negative response they're likely to get from us if we have time to pick apart each choice.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #410
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

So, if no mention is made of a Fantastic Four reboot at SDCC, should we really glean any more hope from that?

They could, after all, just make some announcements in regards to a new FF film a few months from now. Sure, they'd lose some hype just missing SDCC, but it doesn't mean they're not pushing forward.

At what point in time can we really start to assume that this reboot is pretty much dead? If we hear nothing by the end of the year? Summer 2014? Even the end of 2014?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #411
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

well yeah generally EVERYTHING at comic con is given a warm response, but either way, i don't think it helps the cause anymore than not.

Personally id be shocked if we get the cast at comic con, and i wouldn't be surprised to hear generic jargon about the film starting production sometime this year or if it's delayed again

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #412
Mr.M
Banned User

I think red alert time is December 2013. If we don't hear serious strides being made, in terms of casting, definitive dates, and substantiated quotes from the studio and Trank, the project is done as far as I'm concerned. Marvel here we go.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #413
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
At what point in time can we really start to assume that this reboot is pretty much dead? If we hear nothing by the end of the year? Summer 2014? Even the end of 2014?
I don't think that the movie rights are going to quietly go back to Marvel like Blade, The Punisher and Ghost Rider. After losing the rights to Daredevil, FOX is going to want to get something of value in return for the FF rights, which Marvel can monetize simply by having The Hulk, Thor and Iron Man duke it out with The Thing, The Surfer and Dr. Doom onscreen. I think that sometime before year end the two studios will reach an arrangement, perhaps co-financing, that allows FOX to save face while sparing them from having to commit a couple of hundred million dollars into a very risky reboot.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #414
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

If fox were smart, they'd pull a "Universal" let marvel have the rights to make the film, but Fox will distribute it, and reap in some financial benefits.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #415
Mr.M
Banned User

The key is, when does the film have to go into production before they lose the rights outright? How much of the bill does Disney have to foot into a reboot with an already jam packed slate? What is the Fox commission? Just a lot of factors to get it done. I think it could be the May 2016 tentpole. I don't think Disney has a big Marvel movie in that slot and ASM3 is scheduled for later that summer. But we know Marvel has several properties in the works, notably Dr. Strange and perhaps Black Panther. So squeezing a FF reboot may prove impossible, and Fox may lose the rights after 2015. More than likely Fox sells it outright should they choose to table the reboot. Disney will want it somewhere around 500 million for the entire universe. Fox will look for at least a billion. With all the properties Disney has acquired, I don't see where they just pull that out of their back pockets. But that's the only way I see them getting in back it the near future.

Last edited by Mr.M; 07-09-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #416
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I don't think that the movie rights are going to quietly go back to Marvel like Blade, The Punisher and Ghost Rider. After losing the rights to Daredevil, FOX is going to want to get something of value in return for the FF rights, which Marvel can monetize simply by having The Hulk, Thor and Iron Man duke it out with The Thing, The Surfer and Dr. Doom onscreen. I think that sometime before year end the two studios will reach an arrangement, perhaps co-financing, that allows FOX to save face while sparing them from having to commit a couple of hundred million dollars into a very risky reboot.
I think Hollywood is becoming a bit wary of reboots, and I think it is risky for Fox to committ hundreds of millions on a new FF movie, especially when there isn't a demand for one like it did with other more well known properties.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #417
Mr.M
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I think Hollywood is becoming a bit wary of reboots, and I think it is risky for Fox to committ hundreds of millions on a new FF movie, especially when there isn't a demand for one like it did with other more well known properties.
You could also make the film on the cheap. 150 million or so, and with the brand name that comes with the FF, take minimal losses, as they did with the first two films. And then hold onto the rights for another few years. Do I think Fox has the luxury of doing something like that? Absolutely not. But they are going in with the mindset that they could have another mega franchise if they execute. They just don't have the resources of their rivals and maybe they don't even have the patience for that. I think you just have to get the film out by 2015 rather than getting screwed over with some front loaded deal by Disney. That's my mindset, although I'd be talking to Marvel to see if there is anything there that can work. I doubt Feige would budge on anything though.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #418
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

problem is... Fan 4 isn't a brand name that's been very marketable.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #419
Mr.M
Banned User

Quote:
problem is... Fan 4 isn't a brand name that's been very marketable.
It was back in 2005. Bigger than the Avengers sans the Hulk collectively IMO. Fox shat on it with two mediocre to bad films and pretty much killed its viability. A FF movie just wouldn't hold up to an Avengers franchise when it had every bit the potential ten years ago. That shouldn't dissuade you from trying to make it a secondary or even tertiary franchise (from a Marvel standpoint) or a primary franchise (only behind X-Men at Fox), but it just won't be as profitable. The only value I see at this moment, is to provide exposure to other Marvel characters. GotG could use Galactus and SS. Namor and BP could use the FF. That's where the value is today. By itself, not so much.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #420
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

unfortunately the F4 just arn't hot properties in this decade. The books, the movies, the cartoons, just really haven't been a hot commodity unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #421
Mr.M
Banned User

I think FF was well ahead of the Avengers in most of the mediums pre-films. It's not saying much because we are considering a niche group of obsessed fanboys. But it was THE Marvel team for a good while.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #422
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I think FF was well ahead of the Avengers in most of the mediums pre-films. It's not saying much because it's a limited sample size. But it was THE Marvel team for a good while.
i don't know about that... they were certainly "the team" in the 60s - 70s, but the 90s toon didn't even do so hot, and they eventually were completely eclipsed by Spider-Man and the X-men. The Fantastic Four i think have struggled to find there footing over the last couple decades

Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #423
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

So realistically when would it be ok to start getting excited about the idea of the fantastic four reverting back to marvel? Like how close are we to that being a reality.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #424
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I think the odds would be in our favor if we don't have concrete evident news by the end of the year

Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #425
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

And so we wait.

Closed Thread