The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #826
SumT
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 628
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Jennifer Lawrence is God and Passengers and Mother! were huge hits worldwide, so Marvel Studios will pay her all the money in the world because XMA made that money thanks to her.

SumT is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #827
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,585
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
Ok I misunderstood your point. So you're saying because these actors are popular now - they'll not only just be in the MCU, but you think Marvel Studios will pay a huge lump-sum amount of money for these actors to do so instead of casting their OWN versions of Mystique and Magneto (for a much cheaper price) that actually fit Feige's vision?

Right, because Marvel has a history of not paying established actors to play key roles...

Since when has an actor's status ever mattered to MS besides RDJ? (Ed Norton, Terrance Howard, Natalie Portman, Mickey Rourke etc)

I'm glad you asked. On top of those you just mentioned? Since:

Samuel L. Jackson
Gwyneth Paltrow
Jeff Bridges
Hugo Weaving
Anthony Hopkins
Rene Russo
Idris Elba
Edward Norton
Scarlet Johanssen
Robert Redford
Mark Ruffalo
Jeremy Renner
Michael Keaton
Cate Blanchett
Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Michael Douglas
Forest Whitaker
Michael B Jordan
Chadwick Boseman
Andy Serkis
Martin Freeman
James Spader
Kurt Russell
Benedict Cumberbatch
Josh Brolin
Idris Elba
Zoe Saldana
Paul Rudd
Brie Larson

All high profile actors, now, and most of them were high profile at the time they were cast. Some moreso than others obviously, but all of them were established, high profile actors. Let's not pretend this universe has been just populated with unknowns.

Quote:
Not the same thing, obviously. You're talking about dumping a cluster **** of a continuity into the MCU so a dying franchise can continue on. It's a very similar scenario to TASM only MUCH worse because there's much more baggage. It's definitely not going go that way. I can't see any scenario where Feige doesn't want to reboot the X-Men where it makes sense and cast his own versions of the character. We already know per the Hollywood Reporter article that Marvel is very excited to RECAST & reboot Wolverine into the MCU.
No...I never said "They should dump a clusterf**** of continuity into the MCU". At all.

The average audience member likely doesn't know about or care about the types of continuity issues you're talking about.

If Marvel decides they can live with an X-Men universe that has been in existence before, I would imagine they can still come up with the types of stories that would benefit their shared universe.

And yes, they're likely going to recast Wolverine. Because of the popularity of the character and because Jackman , who made the character so popular to cinema audiences, is done with the role. But if Hugh Jackman was legitimately up for more, do you think they'd be talking about just recasting, and entertaining absolutely no ideas of bringing him back? I doubt it.

__________________
"Perception is the enemy of reason."

-Me

Last edited by The Guard; 12-16-2017 at 02:52 PM.
The Guard is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #828
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 14,635
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Yes, they are more than likely going to reboot and recast.

The only reason it's all so vague and uncertain now is because we have Dark Phoenix, New Mutants and Gambit yet to be released, so everyone is pussyfooting around the idea of a total reboot.

Feige wouldn't say 'Forget this version of Phoenix, we're doing our own.' Not while the film is not even released.

Once Gambit is in cinemas, if it gets that far, expect the rebooting to start.

I'm ignoring Deadpool as that could be allowed to continue for Deadpool 3/X Force.

__________________
Show me an X-Men comic where Mystique is the leader and walks round all day as a bored blonde
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #829
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,585
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
1) The franchise is full of continuity errors and inconsistencies
And that matters to the MCU itself because...

Again, not all general audiences dwell on these things. It clearly hasn't negatively affected general audience response to the X-Men franchise, there's no reason to believe it would if they joined the MCU.

Quote:
2) Mutants are known in the Singerverse
Which will be an issue regardless of how they are brought into the MCU, unless the mutant gene suddenly shows up in "future films", which could very well happen.

Or maybe something made people forget about mutants. If only there was a major comics storyline that affected the entire Marvel universe along those lines...or characters with that kind of power in the MCU or X-Men universe.

Quote:
3) Different portrayal of the characters: Raven is a hero, Charles' sister and the leader of the X-Men
Well there is no portrayal in the MCU of Mystique, so how does that matter at this juncture?

Quote:
4) No Wolverine cuz Jackman retired
Was there no more War Machine because Terrance Howard left?

Wolverine is a character. The actors in the MCU won't play the characters forever. Eventually they will need to be recast, or the universe will need to be rebooted in some capacity.

Quote:
5) No Emma Frost, Shaw, Sean, Alex, Apocalypse, Angel and others, which kills a lot of storytelling possibilities
Even with that, there are a TON of story possibilities left.

Apocalypse has been destroyed and come back before. Ditto pretty much any character like, ever .

Quote:
6) Two Pietros
That's an issue.

Quote:
7) They're stuck in the past (and dead in the future)
And seeing as how they're not currently being referenced, time travel may well be what the X-Men bring to the table in the MCU, besides the "mutant" concept. Or they may well be part of an alternate universe, and THAT may be the overarching concept that is used to bring it all together.

Quote:
Does Marvel/Feige has any interest in keeping that?
I dunno. They seem keen on keeping Deadpool, which isn't exactly the bedrock of the X-Men universe.

Quote:
Seriously, there are several reasons to believe they'll reboot.
I suppose if Marvel ONLY weighs the negatives, then no.

If they only weighed negatives, they would never take ANY risks.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be easier to reboot, but there are other things to consider. They may well reboot. It is not, however, a foregone conclusion.

__________________
"Perception is the enemy of reason."

-Me
The Guard is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #830
Marvel united
Avenger
 
Marvel united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Feige's Penthhouse
Posts: 419
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
1) The franchise is full of continuity errors and inconsistencies
2) Mutants are known in the Singerverse
3) Different portrayal of the characters: Raven is a hero, Charles' sister and the leader of the X-Men
4) No Wolverine cuz Jackman retired
5) No Emma Frost, Shaw, Sean, Alex, Apocalypse, Angel and others, which kills a lot of storytelling possibilities
6) Two Pietros
7) They're stuck in the past (and dead in the future)

Does Marvel/Feige has any interest in keeping that?

Seriously, there are several reasons to believe they'll reboot.
Exactly.

Marvel united is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #831
SumT
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 628
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes, they are more than likely going to reboot and recast.

The only reason it's all so vague and uncertain now is because we have Dark Phoenix, New Mutants and Gambit yet to be released, so everyone is pussyfooting around the idea of a total reboot.

Feige wouldn't say 'Forget this version of Phoenix, we're doing our own.' Not while the film is not even released.


Once Gambit is in cinemas, if it gets that far, expect the rebooting to start.

I'm ignoring Deadpool as that could be allowed to continue for Deadpool 3/X Force.
great point. And yeah, thats more than likely the real reason behind this current "mistery". None at Disney will reveal they'll reboot, that would be a dirty move to Dark Phoenix, Kinberg and co.

SumT is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #832
Marvel united
Avenger
 
Marvel united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Feige's Penthhouse
Posts: 419
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Right, because Marvel has a history of not paying established actors to play key roles...

Since when has an actor's status ever mattered to MS besides RDJ? (Ed Norton, Terrance Howard, Natalie Portman, Mickey Rourke etc)

I'm glad you asked. On top of those you just mentioned? Since:

Samuel L. Jackson
Gwyneth Paltrow
Jeff Bridges
Hugo Weaving
Anthony Hopkins
Rene Russo
Idris Elba
Edward Norton
Scarlet Johanssen
Robert Redford
Mark Ruffalo
Jeremy Renner
Michael Keaton
Cate Blanchett
Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Michael Douglas
Forest Whitaker
Michael B Jordan
Chadwick Boseman
Andy Serkis
Martin Freeman
James Spader
Kurt Russell
Benedict Cumberbatch
Josh Brolin
Idris Elba
Zoe Saldana
Paul Rudd
Brie Larson

All high profile actors, now, and most of them were high profile at the time they were cast. Some moreso than others obviously, but all of them were established, high profile actors. Let's not pretend this universe has been just populated with unknowns.
I never said it was populated by unknowns. What I'm saying is they have NO PROBLEM recasting A-List talent. The absolutely do not rely on it, much less bringing an actor from a completely different universe to play the same character they play in the universe thaf has nothing to do with the MCU. Marvel will have no problem rebooting & recasting Magneto, Charles and Raven.



Quote:
No...I never said "They should dump a clusterf**** of continuity into the MCU". At all.

The average audience member likely doesn't know about or care about the types of continuity issues you're talking about.
Marvel Studios does, the people that make these movies care about continuity, at least in the case of Kevin Feige. The general audience wouldn't care if Spider-Man's suit consisted of nothing more than a red and blue spandex suit from the dollar store, as long as the movie is good. The people that develop these films are the ones that put time and effort into making sure things add up. Like I said, Feige cares about continuity & consistency. Singer does not.

Quote:
If Marvel decides they can live with an X-Men universe that has been in existence before, I would imagine they can still come up with the types of stories that would benefit their shared universe.
Why in the world would Marvel want to limit themselves like so? The X-Men movies have already exhausted so many characters and story arcs from the comics, most Mutants are currently dead in the future, the X-Men themselves are stuck in the past etc. Marvel would be EXTREMELY limited with what they could do with wider crossover events, and characters they may want to use. They have more reason to reboot the X-Men then they had for rebooting Spider-Man. This is denial if I've ever seen it.
Quote:
And yes, they're likely going to recast Wolverine. Because of the popularity of the character and because Jackman , who made the character so popular to cinema audiences, is done with the role. But if Hugh Jackman was legitimately up for more, do you think they'd be talking about just recasting, and entertaining absolutely no ideas of bringing him back? I doubt it.
Discussions? Sure, would he be back? Highly unlikely. Wolverine is dead in the Fox Universe. The general audience in this case absolutely would be confused as to why he's alive.

Marvel united is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #833
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
1) The franchise is full of continuity errors and inconsistencies
2) Mutants are known in the Singerverse
3) Different portrayal of the characters: Raven is a hero, Charles' sister and the leader of the X-Men
4) No Wolverine cuz Jackman retired
5) No Emma Frost, Shaw, Sean, Alex, Apocalypse, Angel and others, which kills a lot of storytelling possibilities
6) Two Pietros
7) They're stuck in the past (and dead in the future)

Does Marvel/Feige has any interest in keeping that?

Seriously, there are several reasons to believe they'll reboot.
agreed!
they must reboot Im fed up with fox doing x-men movies too many incoherences and fed up with JLaw

CyclopsSummers is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #834
GuestStar2004
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,538
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
1) The franchise is full of continuity errors and inconsistencies
It may not be long till the MCU is also since they are trying hard to hold it all together but they are still milking that machine in various movies and tv shows.

Quote:
2) Mutants are known in the Singerverse
Thats an issue alright, but then its also an issue they ain't known in the MCU

Quote:
5) No Emma Frost, Shaw, Sean, Alex, Apocalypse, Angel and others, which kills a lot of storytelling possibilities
Like with Spidey even if they rebooted they may not explore alot of these things again anyway.

Quote:
Does Marvel/Feige has any interest in keeping that?
Why would they keep it? probably because its an 18 year old franchise thats tred a fair amount of ground already which allows them to either join and expand and not worry that alot of the stories or characters that have already been done or reboot and play with the left overs since like with Homecoming they may not want to tred on anything thats already been explored in film.

And that doesn't just mean mystique and magneto either, it could also mean characters like angel, psylocke and maybe even Gambit among many.


Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-16-2017 at 04:43 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #835
By your Command
Danger Room Technician
 
By your Command's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sal Tlay Ka Siti
Posts: 923
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Here's my two cents on this thing, even if Dark Phoenix ends up being the best X-Men movie so far, it should be the end, there's way too many continuity contradictions to pretty much everything the MCU is all about, and Feige has even mentioned that the MCU itself will be relaunched in Phase 4, so I say it's a clean beginning for everything...

...That being said as a show of good will (and smart business) Deadpool should be the new start of Phase 4, and they can reintroduce the new X-Men team, one that includes Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead whom we've already met. Quid pro quo children, quid pro quo.

__________________
MAGNETO: "Dazzler, turn sound into light and distract the aliens!"

(Upcoming line from "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Directed, Produced and Written by Simon Kinberg)
By your Command is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #836
Marvel united
Avenger
 
Marvel united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Feige's Penthhouse
Posts: 419
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

So they'd accomplish their goal of being different by using the same cast that's been in the last four movies?


Marvel united is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #837
Marvel united
Avenger
 
Marvel united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Feige's Penthhouse
Posts: 419
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
Here's my two cents on this thing, even if Dark Phoenix ends up being the best X-Men movie so far, it should be the end, there's way too many continuity contradictions to pretty much everything the MCU is all about, and Feige has even mentioned that the MCU itself will be relaunched in Phase 4, so I say it's a clean beginning for everything...

...That being said as a show of good will (and smart business) Deadpool should be the new start of Phase 4, and they can reintroduce the new X-Men team, one that includes Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead whom we've already met. Quid pro quo children, quid pro quo.
Agreed. Deadpool will be in the MCU, Disney's PR basically confirmed this.

Marvel united is online now  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #838
GuestStar2004
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,538
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
Here's my two cents on this thing, even if Dark Phoenix ends up being the best X-Men movie so far, it should be the end, there's way too many continuity contradictions to pretty much everything the MCU is all about, and Feige has even mentioned that the MCU itself will be relaunched in Phase 4, so I say it's a clean beginning for everything...
It will be interesting to see whats left after Phase 3 because they clearly want to move away from the phase 1 characters

Last i read the plan was to do more space based stories and dimensional ones.

Quote:
...That being said as a show of good will (and smart business) Deadpool should be the new start of Phase 4, and they can reintroduce the new X-Men team, one that includes Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead whom we've already met. Quid pro quo children, quid pro quo.
Thing about Deadpool is that the MCU movies are not R-rated, they are kid toy friendly and if you use Deadpool to start phase 4 then you are starting it with a less kid friendly movie that parents won't want to be added as part of their collection.

I don't know whether Marvel would be as who cares about it as the fans are but we will have to see the result of the next 4 movies produced by FOX.


Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-16-2017 at 04:57 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #839
GuestStar2004
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,538
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
So they'd accomplish their goal of being different by using the same cast that's been in the last four movies?

If you don't wanna be in the position where you are trying to avoid a redo of MUCH of whats already been done then joining them would be much easier


Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-16-2017 at 04:58 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #840
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 29,019
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
And Feige is not going to ruin the MCU continuity and confuse everybody because he doesn't want to hurt Sheridan, Shipp and Turner's feelings Actors get recast all the time in Hollywood for whatever reason.

I can't wait to come in this thread when Feige announces he's wiping the X-Men slate clean
This movie will be long past its release date by the time that is announced. And while I agree it will happen, I would find it delicious if he did incorporate them through some kind of cosmic event. Just to see your reaction.

But yeah, that ain't going to happen.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #841
GuestStar2004
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,538
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

We have a good while to find out what marvel are gonna end up doing and in that time we also have a good while that FOX may squeeze 1 or 2 more projects out into cinemas for 2019

GuestStar2004 is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #842
By your Command
Danger Room Technician
 
By your Command's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sal Tlay Ka Siti
Posts: 923
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Thing about Deadpool is that the MCU movies are not R-rated, they are kid toy friendly and if you use Deadpool to start phase 4 then you are starting it with a less kid friendly movie that parents won't want to be added as part of their collection.

I don't know whether Marvel would be as who cares about it as the fans are but we will have to see the result of the next 4 movies produced by FOX.
No I totally agree, happy meals don't sell themselves. But I meant more of a first look of what's to come, and after that we can have our PG-13 MCU relaunching toy selling movie.

__________________
MAGNETO: "Dazzler, turn sound into light and distract the aliens!"

(Upcoming line from "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Directed, Produced and Written by Simon Kinberg)
By your Command is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #843
carpenter82
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 99
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

You know what? I agree that this series should be rebooted when the MCU gets their hands on it. Not because Jennifer Lawrence this or Simon Kinberg that, but because the X-Men franchise is the remnant of a bygone era. This is a series that was around when Spider-Man 2, and The Dark Knight were released. When a filmmaker was allowed to do whatever they wanted with these properties. They were allowed to focus on story, character development, and themes. And we as fans looked forward to what Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi, and yes, even Bryan Singer were going to do because we wanted good films/storytelling.

However, as I said that time has passed. Now comic book films are art by committee, and if a well known filmmaker is hired to make one they're put on a short leash. The sad thing is not only have we become accustomed to that kind of filmmaking, we practically demand it. So perhaps it is time for X-Men to go on the assembly line just like every other superhero film.

carpenter82 is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #844
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota
 
Tymminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,413
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

There are ways they could keep a chunk of the cast and still have them play the same characters from both the Fox-verse and MCU-verse, but I don’t think that’s what they are going to do exactly. I know the X-Men will be the MCU, but if one sits down and really thinks about it, especially if you are a Comic fan and read tons of stories, there are a zillion ways to go about this, some ways better than others.

I’m just going to hope they do it in a good, solid way, then I as a fan I can sit back and hopefully continue to enjoy.

__________________
My MCU Movie Grades:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=?,Avengers:Infinity War=?, Ant-man & the Wasp=?, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Tymminator is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #845
psylockolussus
Fierce User
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion
Posts: 33,782
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
1) The franchise is full of continuity errors and inconsistencies
2) Mutants are known in the Singerverse
3) Different portrayal of the characters: Raven is a hero, Charles' sister and the leader of the X-Men
4) No Wolverine cuz Jackman retired
5) No Emma Frost, Shaw, Sean, Alex, Apocalypse, Angel and others, which kills a lot of storytelling possibilities
6) Two Pietros
7) They're stuck in the past (and dead in the future)

Does Marvel/Feige has any interest in keeping that?

Seriously, there are several reasons to believe they'll reboot.
No. They need to let this Foxverse go.

__________________
X - W O M E N
Dazzler • Jubilee • Phoenix • Polaris • Psylocke • Rogue • Shadowcat • Storm • White Queen
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #846
Val_Zod
No, I am not Calvin Ellis
 
Val_Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,859
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter82 View Post
You know what? I agree that this series should be rebooted when the MCU gets their hands on it. Not because Jennifer Lawrence this or Simon Kinberg that, but because the X-Men franchise is the remnant of a bygone era. This is a series that was around when Spider-Man 2, and The Dark Knight were released. When a filmmaker was allowed to do whatever they wanted with these properties. They were allowed to focus on story, character development, and themes. And we as fans looked forward to what Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi, and yes, even Bryan Singer were going to do because we wanted good films/storytelling.

However, as I said that time has passed. Now comic book films are art by committee, and if a well known filmmaker is hired to make one they're put on a short leash. The sad thing is not only have we become accustomed to that kind of filmmaking, we practically demand it. So perhaps it is time for X-Men to go on the assembly line just like every other superhero film.
This is completely off. Blockbusters are a product by committee in general. Studios do not fork over 100m+ to let someone "do their thing." There are a bunch of guidelines and rules given to a creative team on a blockbuster to ensure the film reaches as many demos as possible. The black leather costumes in the first X-men were almost assuredly a commission by execs to make the film look more like Matrix or Blade. Same likely goes for the first Spider-man where they wanted the Spider-sense to resemble bullet slowmos from Matrix. These aren't some auteur like films where the creator has full freedom; they're large blockbusters meant for mass audience consumptions. Always have, always will. It's just evolved in a different direction where instead of waiting for the film to be a success, studios plan a whole slate and universe. Why people think the MCU are the first by committee films, I'll never understand.

Val_Zod is offline  
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #847
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,145
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Right, because Marvel has a history of not paying established actors to play key roles...

Since when has an actor's status ever mattered to MS besides RDJ? (Ed Norton, Terrance Howard, Natalie Portman, Mickey Rourke etc)

I'm glad you asked. On top of those you just mentioned? Since:

Samuel L. Jackson
Gwyneth Paltrow
Jeff Bridges
Hugo Weaving
Anthony Hopkins
Rene Russo
Idris Elba
Edward Norton
Scarlet Johanssen
Robert Redford
Mark Ruffalo
Jeremy Renner
Michael Keaton
Cate Blanchett
Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Michael Douglas
Forest Whitaker
Michael B Jordan
Chadwick Boseman
Andy Serkis
Martin Freeman
James Spader
Kurt Russell
Benedict Cumberbatch
Josh Brolin
Idris Elba
Zoe Saldana
Paul Rudd
Brie Larson

All high profile actors, now, and most of them were high profile at the time they were cast. Some moreso than others obviously, but all of them were established, high profile actors. Let's not pretend this universe has been just populated with unknowns.
I don't think Marvel casting high profile actors vs unknowns was ever the issue. It was if these actors were paid what they usually get paid for one film vs. multi-film contracts. It's safe to assume most of the people you've listed off were acquired at a bargain due to signing multi-picture deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
As actors, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and James McAvoy aren't remotely on the same level as Andrew Garfield circa THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. They're big stars, with built in fanbases and drawing power.

Now, as actors, they might be ready to be done with these roles after four films and a decade of being the characters, but if they're interested in continuing on as part of the X-Men, I expect Disney might consider it.

They're not likely to recast Deadpool at this point, especially if DEADPOOL 2 is the smash hit that the first one was.
It was already mentioned in one of the trade articles when this Disney deal came through that JLaw and Fassbender (and I would assume McAvoy and Hoult) had to sign expensive one-off contracts to come back for Dark Phoenix. You really think Feige et al will be willing to fork out expensive salaries to these "A-listers" when it was reported that Chris Evans "only" made $300k for his debut film, The First Avenger?

JLaw makes an average $20Mil per film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post


This was the perfect gif for this conversation. Thank you Mr. Martin Sheen.

So much denial on this thread.

EnDz0n3 is offline  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #848
Marvel united
Avenger
 
Marvel united's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Feige's Penthhouse
Posts: 419
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I don't think Marvel casting high profile actors vs unknowns was ever the issue. It was if these actors were paid what they usually get paid for one film vs. multi-film contracts. It's safe to assume most of the people you've listed off were acquired at a bargain due to signing multi-picture deals.



It was already mentioned in one of the trade articles when this Disney deal came through that JLaw and Fassbender (and I would assume McAvoy and Hoult) had to sign expensive one-off contracts to come back for Dark Phoenix. You really think Feige et al will be willing to fork out expensive salaries to these "A-listers" when it was reported that Chris Evans "only" made $300k for his debut film, The First Avenger?

JLaw makes an average $20Mil per film...



This was the perfect gif for this conversation. Thank you Mr. Martin Sheen.

So much denial on this thread.

Marvel united is online now  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 AM   #849
Phoenix Egg
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 206
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter82 View Post
You know what? I agree that this series should be rebooted when the MCU gets their hands on it. Not because Jennifer Lawrence this or Simon Kinberg that, but because the X-Men franchise is the remnant of a bygone era. This is a series that was around when Spider-Man 2, and The Dark Knight were released. When a filmmaker was allowed to do whatever they wanted with these properties. They were allowed to focus on story, character development, and themes. And we as fans looked forward to what Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi, and yes, even Bryan Singer were going to do because we wanted good films/storytelling.

However, as I said that time has passed. Now comic book films are art by committee, and if a well known filmmaker is hired to make one they're put on a short leash. The sad thing is not only have we become accustomed to that kind of filmmaking, we practically demand it. So perhaps it is time for X-Men to go on the assembly line just like every other superhero film.
Basically this. And the movie isn't worth seeing unless most of it is setup for the sequel.

Phoenix Egg is offline  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #850
Raiden
Wakanda Forever
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,798
Default Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Seriously, Disney is paying 52 billion for all the Fox properties; they're going to do whatever that is their best interest once the acquisition is approved. Right now, I don't see any incentive for Marvel to keep a continuity that already has 2 Dark Phoenix Saga told and even a soft reboot of the franchise. It's much better if they just wipe the slate clean and drop all the luggage, and start from scratch.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.