The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Don Cheadle taking over for Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2?
I'm all for it, bring on Don Cheadle! 106 38.41%
Recasting sucks. Marvel should have kept Terrence Howard! 134 48.55%
I don't care one way or the other. 36 13.04%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #526
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues
 
Balthus Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,710
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

They'll probably just build Rhodey up again in the second one and give him a bigger role, sort of like you don't have to see the first one to know who he is.

Otherwise I dunno how it would even work because the two actors are so different. I'm sorry, but Don Cheadle just isn't cool. He's just not.

Balthus Dire is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #527
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you
 
louiebling$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 707 Nor Cal
Posts: 10,142
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

He was cool in in the Oceans franchise

__________________
ROBERT██CHRIS██CHRIS██SCARLETTJEREMYMARKwith CLARKand SAMUEL L.
DOWNEY JR.EVANSHEMSWORTHJOHANSSONRENNERRUFFALOGREGGJACKSON
ASSEMBLING MAY 4, 2012
"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #528
jamesjuhn
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 48
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Ah forgot to mention Hellboy, it also goes with the ones which have kept continuity I think (although I haven't seen the Golden Army, I don't think there were any recasts in the movie).

jamesjuhn is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #529
Rishi
Side-Kick
 
Rishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 604
Posts: 776
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

It doesn't matter in the sense of... people aren't gonna skip out on Iron Man 2 because of this. It's just a really dumb, stupid thing to do and its only gonna piss people off. Is anyone actually happy about this? (I only skimmed the topic)

__________________
Quote:
"Life is beautiful. Life is a struggle. Life is a beautiful struggle." - Mos Def
Rishi is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #530
Savage
Earth Rocker
 
Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,213
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Insignificant? The movie was a huge hit. And not because of fanboys.
Yeah but do you think they care who is cast as Tony Stark's sidekick. In these matters the general public opinion is insignificant because usually they're completely indifferent and oblivious. Give non-comic/movie fans a poll and they'll most likely vote the most neutral choice or not vote at all, every time.

__________________
"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #531
StanLee Wannabe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 387
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Uh...okay.

I'm not "denying" anything. I'm stating my opinion. Also the post you quoted had nothing to do with that...

As for Common, you can't grow out what you don't have. Dude is bald.
You didnt really state it as an opinion, now did you. You talked in absolutes.
If you agree that actors can resemble comic-book characters then we're done here. If not, you're wrong

StanLee Wannabe is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #532
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,351
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Yeah but do you think they care who is cast as Tony Stark's sidekick. In these matters the general public opinion is insignificant because usually they're completely indifferent and oblivious. Give non-comic/movie fans a poll and they'll most likely vote the most neutral choice or not vote at all, every time.
Heh. That's a pretty arrogant mindset. The general public will see it's a different person just like we will. Only fanboys get up in arms over a recast like it's the end of the world and is going to ruin the movie. If recasting the main character didn't ruin other movies, recasting a side character won't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLee Wannabe View Post
You didnt really state it as an opinion, now did you. You talked in absolutes.
If you agree that actors can resemble comic-book characters then we're done here. If not, you're wrong
I don't talk in absolutes anymore than you or any of the other posters on here. I'm the one typing what I write so common sense lets you know it's my opinion. (Of course, common sense should also let you know that no real person looks just like a drawing, as well...)

__________________
"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #533
nocomics
Side-Kick
 
nocomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere not near you
Posts: 2,035
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I love Don Cheadle as an actor think he is great in whatever role he is in. However; I hate these recasting for sequels,as u get familiar,and comfortable with actors in that role.

nocomics is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #534
Savage
Earth Rocker
 
Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,213
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Heh. That's a pretty arrogant mindset. The general public will see it's a different person just like we will. Only fanboys get up in arms over a recast like it's the end of the world and is going to ruin the movie. If recasting the main character didn't ruin other movies, recasting a side character won't either.
Well that'ss my point. It matters to the fans, who are a part of the audience paying to see these things. The general audience may not care either way but that's exactly why you go to the opinions of the people that do. Why ask some random person about their opinion on how golf can be improved when you can ask a fan of the game?

__________________
"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #535
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 54,628
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
It doesn't matter in the sense of... people aren't gonna skip out on Iron Man 2 because of this. It's just a really dumb, stupid thing to do and its only gonna piss people off. Is anyone actually happy about this? (I only skimmed the topic)
I saw one person say that they were happy, can't remember who.

I wouldn't use a word like happy as that would mean that I hated Howard in the role but I'm damn sure not sad. Eh, it would've been nice for the cast to stay the same but it aint gonna happen and Cheadle is a damn good actor and better than Howard IMHO so I'm not going to complain. If I were a fan of Howard's I guess I would care but I'm not so whatever.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #536
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger
 
Ironfan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stark International
Posts: 2,306
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I like both Cheadle and Howard, I guess for continuities sake, I would want Howard back, I didn't have a problem with Terrance as Rhodes, some have complained that he wasn't man enough and had a femine voice, but to be honest, I thought he did a good job, but I will support Cheadle, if he's offically been cast. If the casting change is true, it will not keep me away from IM2 May 7th 2010.

__________________
TEAM IRON MAN



www.advancediron.org -The Ultimate Iron Man Website.
Ironfan72 is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #537
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,351
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Well that'ss my point. It matters to the fans, who are a part of the audience paying to see these things. The general audience may not care either way but that's exactly why you go to the opinions of the people that do. Why ask some random person about their opinion on how golf can be improved when you can ask a fan of the game?
It matters to some fans. They aren't making the movies just for fanboys. Like you said they are just a part of the audience. And "random" people's opinions aren't less valid about a movie just because they don't know the decades-long written history of a character.

__________________
"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #538
fu manchu
Side-Kick
 
fu manchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,881
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
Is anyone actually happy about this? (I only skimmed the topic)
well, according to the poll, 15 ppl are happy with it.

__________________
This is my MECCA !!!


fu manchu is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #539
ShadowBoxing
Banned User
 
ShadowBoxing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the Gym
Posts: 30,645
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Wait, what . Howard was awesome, why are they recasting

ShadowBoxing is offline  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #540
[A]
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tenpenny Tower.
Posts: 18,740
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

You just read about this..?

[A] is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #541
StanLee Wannabe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 387
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
I don't talk in absolutes anymore than you or any of the other posters on here. I'm the one typing what I write so common sense lets you know it's my opinion. (Of course, common sense should also let you know that no real person looks just like a drawing, as well...)
Opinions are usually couched in different language. Just "understanding" that it's an opinion isn't necessarily a reasonable assumption because it's the internet and I have no idea what your assumptions are. When you use "can't" "doesn't" those all have "not" and seem absolute unless you add other language.

Will an actor look just like a drawing? Perhaps not, although there's a long-shot. Very close? Bear a resemblance to the point of reminding you of the character? Of course. Surely you wouldn't dispute that an artist can sit down with someone and draw a picture of them that looks like them? If so, then we've established that line drawings can look like real people. It's not that far a jump to think that on a planet with billions of people, one or two of them can look like a picture that's already been drawn.

Glad you're agreeing with the majority of other SHH posters.

StanLee Wannabe is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #542
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,351
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLee Wannabe View Post
Opinions are usually couched in different language. Just "understanding" that it's an opinion isn't necessarily a reasonable assumption because it's the internet and I have no idea what your assumptions are. When you use "can't" "doesn't" those all have "not" and seem absolute unless you add other language.
Again like I said it's common sense. What you type is your opinion. What I type is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLee Wannabe View Post
Will an actor look just like a drawing? Perhaps not, although there's a long-shot. Very close? Bear a resemblance to the point of reminding you of the character? Of course. Surely you wouldn't dispute that an artist can sit down with someone and draw a picture of them that looks like them?
That's not the same thing as you well know. We are talking about characters that were drawings first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLee Wannabe View Post
If so, then we've established that line drawings can look like real people. It's not that far a jump to think that on a planet with billions of people, one or two of them can look like a picture that's already been drawn.
It is a far jump, however, to think that movie producers will comb through the billions of people in the world looking for someone who looks exactly like a drawing. Come on, you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

__________________
"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #543
StanLee Wannabe
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 387
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

No, I'm not. You seem to have left common sense at the door, because the majority of people who post here relate casting to how the actors look at one of, if not the most important criteria.

Go to one of the casting threads. Read it. Read it again. Highlight the parts where people say "so and so looks like X character - Mr. other guy doesnt." There's the proof in front of your face that you seem to keep ignoring.

BTW, it's the job of casting agents to cast the right "look" for a part. So yeah, it's not that much of a jump.

Either you agree that an actor can look like (you seem to be hung up on the word "exactly") a comic book character or you dont. Make up your mind.

At this point, you're either being obtuse on purpose or you're simply dense. Either way, you're wrong.

StanLee Wannabe is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #544
[A]
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tenpenny Tower.
Posts: 18,740
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu manchu View Post
well, according to the poll, 15 ppl are happy with it.
17 people now.. odd numbers. I hate odd numbers.

[A] is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #545
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,351
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLee Wannabe View Post
No, I'm not. You seem to have left common sense at the door, because the majority of people who post here relate casting to how the actors look at one of, if not the most important criteria.

Go to one of the casting threads. Read it. Read it again. Highlight the parts where people say "so and so looks like X character - Mr. other guy doesnt." There's the proof in front of your face that you seem to keep ignoring.

BTW, it's the job of casting agents to cast the right "look" for a part. So yeah, it's not that much of a jump.

Either you agree that an actor can look like (you seem to be hung up on the word "exactly") a comic book character or you dont. Make up your mind.

At this point, you're either being obtuse on purpose or you're simply dense. Either way, you're wrong.
I'm wrong because I don't agree with you? And casting threads mean nothing. People state their opinons on who they think should play a given character. Some people agree and some people don't.

I already said that actors can (and do) share some characteristics of whoever they play but the simple truth is they don't look just like the characters. It's simple common sense.

__________________
"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/

Last edited by RockSP; 10-20-2008 at 01:38 PM.
RockSP is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #546
[A]
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tenpenny Tower.
Posts: 18,740
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
I'm wrong because I don't agree with you? And casting threads mean nothing. People state their opinons on who they think should play a given character. Some people agree and some people don't.
No thread means anything. That's the beauty of internet forums.

[A] is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #547
Reek
_________
 
Reek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 48,944
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Cheadle might be a better actor, but he has no part in Iron Man IMO. Howard was great as Rhodey.

he just seems so out of place.

Reek is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #548
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 66,389
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I just thought about something the other day... that doesn't add up at all... and one party is lying.

Terrance made a comment about marvel essentially ignoring the contract, if this were true legally couldn't he sue? isn't this the exact reason those contracts are in place? legally binding both parties for a new movie?

And if there was a contract, then shouldn't marvels excuse be irrelevant on the money issue? legally, Marvel would only have to pay Howard what was in the contract for the 2nd movie...

so something indeed is fishy.

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #549
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 66,389
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I just thought about something the other day... that doesn't add up at all... and one party is lying.

Terrance made a comment about marvel essentially ignoring the contract, if this were true legally couldn't he sue? isn't this the exact reason those contracts are in place? legally binding both parties for a new movie?

And if there was a contract, then shouldn't marvels excuse be irrelevant on the money issue? legally, Marvel would only have to pay Howard what was in the contract for the 2nd movie...

so something indeed is fishy.

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #550
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar
 
cerealkiller182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12,997
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I just thought about something the other day... that doesn't add up at all... and one party is lying.

Terrance made a comment about marvel essentially ignoring the contract, if this were true legally couldn't he sue? isn't this the exact reason those contracts are in place? legally binding both parties for a new movie?

And if there was a contract, then shouldn't marvels excuse be irrelevant on the money issue? legally, Marvel would only have to pay Howard what was in the contract for the 2nd movie...

so something indeed is fishy.
I thought the way Howard worded that sounded like there was an oral contract or an implied contract which are a lot harder to prove. I think there are a lot of holes in the whole story on both sides unfortunately.

cerealkiller182 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.