Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #26
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl/Kara

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
If she's going to sing while she flies the song better be Defying Gravity.

She can always sing Taylor Swift's "Superman"

Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
Elayis

I've never seen anything she's done (hope to see Whiplash soon, though), so I can't judge her acting talent. The only reason I even recognized her name was because of her photo leak last fall.

Right now they need to prove to me the people involved have the talent to pull this off. Berlanti's very underwhelming to me (just look at GL and Arrow), and I've never liked a single comic book TV show to date. I'm also not sure how they'll be able to pull off her superpowers on a TV budget, especially with this being on CBS; I'm not at all convinced that they're the right channel to pull this off.

Eh. I guess we'll see how they handled it when it eventually airs.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Constantine 2005 12 Wonder Woman 13 Spider-Man 2 14 Watchmen 15 Incredible Hulk 16 Captain America: Winter Soldier
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
Rowsdower!
Vlad's Moving Castle

Very pretty girl. Don't know her acting, but dye her hair blond and she'll definitely look the part.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #29
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

She looks really nice here in this interview:

She's got a real sincerity, innocence and likeability about her. I don't think you can get a full picture of her from just a photo.

BTW, I hope they cover up her bicycle tattoo on her foot, because I don't really see that it fits with Supergirl. But I don't want her to be always wearing boots. She should wear sandals or heels sometimes as Kara.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #30
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

How many times do you see people wear sandals on tv though? lol

Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
ComicChick
You Mean You Were Lying?!
SHH! Global Moderator

and can you imagine the backlash? Kryptonians can't get tattoos! the needles would break etc etc ad nauseum lol

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall

The Summer 2017 Fan Art Contest! Win Prizes! Check It Out HERE
Old 02-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #32
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
How many times do you see people wear sandals on tv though? lol
I bet they do though. What about in summer? Women don't wear woolly slippers. She'll wear open-toed shoes which are effectively sandals. So the make-up department will need to cover that bicycle.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #33
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
She got a super smile, for sure.

Just looking back at these photos. None of them are really all that indicative of what she's actually like when you see her in moving footage. Maybe the last one is the closest to her.

I think this picture is more what she's really like where it shows off her true girl-next-door beauty and warm, earnest personality:

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

She's really sweet and adorable in this interview:

I almost wish now she were playing a different character in another comic book adaptation so she could keep her brown hair.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #35
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

she has more than one tattoo, doesn't she??

so they're going to have to find a way to cover those up.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #36
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Are we acting like it is hard to cover up tattoos? Cause it's not and it happens in practically every tv show.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #37
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
She got a super smile, for sure.

don't know if she's younger in the middle and bottom pics, but she looks prettier in those. Make her blonde, I can see Kara in those pics.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #38
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Are we acting like it is hard to cover up tattoos? Cause it's not and it happens in practically every tv show.
really?? then it's no big deal then.

cuz there is a legit reason to cover them up given the character.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #39
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
there is a legit reason to cover them up given the character.
Maybe at first, but with Alex being science-minded, I don't think it's out of the question for her to find a way to give her sister tattoos if that's a direction Kara wanted to take her physical appearance after she breaks out of her shell.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #40
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
don't know if she's younger in the middle and bottom pics, but she looks prettier in those. Make her blonde, I can see Kara in those pics.
She's definitely prettier in those but the top one doesn't really seem representative of her at all when you actually see more of her. I think the other one I posted though is a more typical look or expression for her, and I can definitely see Kara in that pic and in how she looks more typically.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #41
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Maybe at first, but with Alex being science-minded, I don't think it's out of the question for her to find a way to give her sister tattoos if that's a direction Kara wanted to take her physical appearance after she breaks out of her shell.
perhaps.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #42
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
She's definitely prettier in those but the top one doesn't really seem representative of her at all when you actually see more of her. I think the other one I posted though is a more typical look or expression for her, and I can definitely see Kara in that pic and in how she looks more typically.
yeah. that's why it's so hard to judge based on past pics. an actor/actress can look very different in different pics.

same with Emma Watson being cast as Belle.

you really have to wait till you see them as the character before you can pass judgment.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #43
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Which was the pic that SHH used for their article when Benoist was first announced? Was it that top pic?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #44
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Which was the pic that SHH used for their article when Benoist was first announced? Was it that top pic?
think it was a different one.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #45
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well SHH aren't that great at using the best pics of the actors cast. I was not as keen on her when I first saw the pic because it didn't capture her personality at all. However, after watching various videos of her and looking at pics which are more typical of how she looks, I'm very happy with the casting and find her very attractive and charming.

If she even keeps her real life personality she'd be great in the role. She seems a very dateable girl.

I think, from the videos I've watched, that she might end up more similar to Helen Slater's Kara than Laura Vandervoort's. She has that more innocent and wholesome appearance and the look of someone who is a music/ drama student (which is what Slater was).

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-02-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #46
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Well SHH aren't that great at using the best pics of the actors cast. I was not as keen on her when I first saw the pic because it didn't capture her personality at all. However, after watching various videos of her and looking at pics which are more typical of how she looks, I'm very happy with the casting and find her very attractive and charming.

If she even keeps her real life personality she'd be great in the role. She seems a very dateable girl.

I think, from the videos I've watched, that she might end up more similar to Helen Slater's Kara than Laura Vandervoort's. She has that more innocent and wholesome appearance and the look of someone who is a music/ drama student (which is what Slater was).
and I'd approve of that.

also, from those audition readings, it seems Kara will have sort of a clumsy/ditzy/adorable personality.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #47
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I hope that Kara isn't too world wise and street wise yet. I actually think that Melissa could've played a new-to-the-world innocent ingenue like Helen Slater's Kara really well. She definitely has this endearing and earnest quality that would make her seem quite guileless and also very optimistic and idealistic.

I hope if she does have humour, it is as a result of her being slightly ditzy and innocent, with the humour coming out of situations, a bit like how it was with Data in Star Trek: TNG, rather than Kara having any snippy or sarcastic humour at other character's expense. I would rather that, because of her alien heritage, she doesn't always get humour or human nature, and hilarity arises out of that than her making wisecracks in the vein of Spider-Man or Tony Stark.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #48
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
I hope that Kara isn't too world wise and street wise yet. I actually think that Melissa could've played a new-to-the-world innocent ingenue like Helen Slater's Kara really well. She definitely has this endearing and earnest quality that would make her seem quite guileless and also very optimistic and idealistic.

I hope if she does have humour, it is as a result of her being slightly ditzy and innocent, with the humour coming out of situations, a bit like how it was with Data in Star Trek: TNG, rather than Kara having any snippy or sarcastic humour at other character's expense. I would rather that, because of her alien heritage, she doesn't always get humour or human nature, and hilarity arises out of that than her making wisecracks in the vein of Spider-Man or Tony Stark.
agreed.

and I wonder if her "ditzy" personality is really her or if it just an act - her public "Clark Kent" persona.

I hope it's really her and maybe she just exaggerates it a bit more when she's out in the public as part of her disguise.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I hope it is part of her personality, and that maybe it's because she is alien that her responses to things and people are perceived as typically ditzy. She might simply do things that normal human beings wouldn't do, and on certain things she might be very straightforward and take someone literally rather than figuratively, because she's Kryptonian. I want her to have a slightly gullibility and tendency to trust others, which she'll have to learn to adjust over time. I'd also like others to perceive her as slightly odd.

An example of this would be the procedural show "Forever" with Ioan Gruffudd. His character is an immortal, and while he's charming, he's also sometimes a bit awkward and anti-social, and does things which his police colleagues would perceive as rather weird, and humour comes out of that. He solves cases because of his unique way of looking at things, but his colleagues do have to sometimes try to get him to behave a bit more conventionally. They don't know he is immortal however, so don't know why he acts the way he does.

Also, in that movie "Enchanted", Amy Adams was a fairy-tale princess from a cartoon world stuck in the real world. Because of her values and completely different way of looking at life, other people, particularly Patrick Dempsey's character, perceived Giselle as being rather ditzy and gullible.

If Kara is more alien, her colleagues might also deem her to be slightly strange and ditzy, but they wouldn't know why. They might wonder how she ever survived all this time with her innocent personality and way of looking at the world, but surprisingly it seems to not only suit her but actually works in solving cases. If they could do something like that, it would be great.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-03-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #50
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

^^ I like that!

indeed, that's kind of how I want Gal's WW to be portrayed.

a sort of naïve innocence about the outside world.