The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #51
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Default Re: Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl/Kara

I don't see how that would make a lot of sense since she's been on earth for like 10 years at this point? She's gone to highschool and interacted with people. She isn't a newbie.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #52
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

oh yeah.......good point.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #53
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well in Forever, Ioan Gruffudd's character has been on earth for hundreds of years and he definitely isn't a newbie, yet he still isn't quite with it as far as interacting with others around him and behaves quite differently.

Kara might've gone to highschool and interacted with people, but if she retained that alien aspect all her life and was always somewhat different, then it's something she could carry with her to adulthood. If her parents and sister saw that she is different, more optimistic and sees the good in others and encouraged her not to change who she is just to be like everyone else, then she could have grown up that way without becoming like every other kid who comes through highschool.

After all, Clark Kent is often depicted as more idealistic and optimistic and somewhat naive compared to others that Lois Lane has encountered. She finds him a bit weird. He's been on earth since a baby though. Why can't Kara be similar? So it can make perfect sense for her to be the way I've described if it can work for Clark and in other examples.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #54
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

If that is just her personality, then it is just her personality. But as far as it being her personality due to her being an alien, I just don't see it working as well since she has spent a lot of time here and has interacted with people her entire time here.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well it could be just her personality and upbringing by the Danvers. I don't know if Clark's is like that because of his upbringing by Martha and Jonathan Kent, or because he is essentially Kryptonian and just naturally has a different way of seeing things. It could be a combination of both, as is often the case with many things in life being a combination of both nature and nurture.

What I want to know is why the Danvers haven't called her Linda, and why they've used her original Kryptonian name "Kara". How did they know it was that? For Superman, his parents didn't call him Kal-El Kent, and he doesn't go by that either (probably because he'd sound like an idiot with that name). I'm guessing that the creators of the show probably just went with Kara because it's a prettier name than Linda, even though it's meant to be Kryptonian in origin (even though many earth girls here have that name as well).

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-03-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #56
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Kara was 14? when she arrived on Earth? Kara is also a very common Earth name, and she isn't out being a hero so there would be no reason for them to give her a fake first name. The Kents and Clark didn't know his birth name until later on in life, Kal is also not a very common name. So there really isn't a logical reason for them to have her go by Linda Danvers.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well, whatever is the case, Kara is a very pretty name and is going on the baby list if I ever have children of my own.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #58
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Kara got to Earth at age 12, so she's been pretty much living a normal life up until the point that she breaks out of her shell and embraces her abilities. Personality-wise, she seems to be a bit of a wallflower who lacks self-confidence up until she finds herself by embracing her powers.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 02-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #59
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well, whatever is the case, Kara is a very pretty name and is going on the baby list if I ever have children of my own.
same here!!

Kara and Arielle are the 2 leading names I'd choose if I ever have a daughter.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #60
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I'm happy with her being a wallflower who hasn't broken out of her shell until she starts using her powers. I think that would suit her well and also suit Melissa Benoist.

Now didn't someone tweet something about her getting her hair dyed blonde? I don't think it was Melissa herself though. When are we going to see a picture? She doesn't seem to have tweeted anything since 26 January. I'm not sure if I have the right account though. Is she @itsmmbenoist?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #61
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

The picture has been posted several times around here.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #62
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

just hope her personality doesn't change too much when she breaks out of her shell.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #63
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
The picture has been posted several times around here.

Not in this thread though. And I haven't seen it that big yet. Thanks for posting though. And I want to see her directly from the front so I can see her smiling face with it too. I hope she has some publicity event coming up where she has to sport her blonde locks so we can see her.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #64
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

It's on the first page as an attachment. I think we probably wont see her until they debut her in her costume. I'm a tiny bit surprised the paps havent bothered getting any shots of her out and about.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #65
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
It's on the first page as an attachment. I think we probably wont see her until they debut her in her costume. I'm a tiny bit surprised the paps havent bothered getting any shots of her out and about.
Maybe they don't recognise her with her blonde hair so she's going around in relative anonymity?

But I would like to see her before her costume debut. We saw Vincent D'Onofrio with his bald head and got an idea what he would look like as Kingpin before we've ever seen a proper publicity shot of him in character from Daredevil. So why not one of Melissa? She can't hide forever and she has to do something like attend an event. Isn't she in Whiplash? Doesn't she have to attend a related event for that or take part in an interview? She'd have to do it with blonde hair though, so that would be our chance to see her.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #66
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

If she isn't a big part of the movie she doesn't have to do any publicity for it.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #67
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
If she isn't a big part of the movie she doesn't have to do any publicity for it.
She could still attend an event though just because she wants to be a part of it. If it's nominated for 5 awards at the Oscars this year, she could put in an appearance. I hope she does and that she shows up on the red carpet looking stunning with her blonde hair.

But... we can't post red carpet photos on here anymore can we?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #68
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

We can't?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #69
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
We can't?
Apparently not. There was that whole drama about it before Christmas where people could get banned for posting certain paparazzi pics, especially red carpet ones, and the whole celebrity section was deleted. I guess we'd have to check with the mods though, because if SHH has an account with Getty images and many of the Academy Awards pics are from there, then maybe they could be posted.

I definitely would like to see Melissa at the Oscars, not only to see her blonde hair but to see what she's wearing. I hope it's a beautiful dress. I think she could look angelic with her blonde hair.

But should Supergirl's hairstyle be slightly wavy like Melissa's hair often is, or long and straight more like Helen Slater's style as Kara? Actually the picture posted of her with blonde hair above looks ideal.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #70
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

I think she'll look better with the straight hair style. curvy hair style kind of "ages" her?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #71
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I want the straight hair style too. It will make her look younger, more innocent and fairy-tale princess-like.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #72
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

^ yep. but do you think she should have long hair like in that pic above?

or more of the short bob cut in the 52 version?

personally, I'd prefer long hair.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #73
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
^ yep. but do you think she should have long hair like in that pic above?

or more of the short bob cut in the 52 version?

personally, I'd prefer long hair.
Long hair like the pic above or like the Helen Slater version. I had a big crush on Slater's Supergirl when I was younger. She was so innocent and princess-like.

I don't really want a short bob cut. Maybe Melissa can sport that much later in the series when she's grown up a bit more, but at the start I want her to have the long tresses, but not as long as Rapunzel in Tangled lol.

Also, I'd love for her to have an aerial sequence like this in the pilot where she's testing out her powers for the first time and discovering the freedom and exhilaration of flight:

Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #74
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

^ oh yeah. there is something innocent and "princess" like about Helen's portrayal of Kara.

hope they capture that essence with the new Supergirl.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #75
coluanprime
Side-Kick

If they could do flight FX that well then, I'm hoping the TV show can match or do a little better now.

Questions about the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Want to settle a debate? Looking for images? Visit the Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki! The most accurate and comprehensive Marvel Movie and TV show wiki!
Closed Thread