The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #26
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is jonn jonzz getting the shaft here?

That show the philosophy that they had to show how powerful the bad guy was by taking out the strongest one. Superman regularly got his ass beat in season one.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #27
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #28
Shazam
Side-Kick

Jonn looked great here..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM9-vw4Gkc

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

I was much happier with this fight scene, his movements were much more fluid.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 AM   #30
TheRedWraith
DCEU Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I was much happier with this fight scene, his movements were much more fluid.
He also really used phasing to his benefit.

TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #31
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
The perennial criticism of Superman (and by extension, Supergirl) is that he’s too powerful - therefore, boring. Thus, over the years and decades, he’s been de-powered to varying degrees.

Yet, consult any reference on MM and you’ll find a long list of astonishing abilities that puts Superman to shame. But then… this repeats the exact same problem: too powerful, therefore boring. Seems to me, Supergirl did right by dialing things back a bit. Besides, it’s her show. When MM gets his own show, he can be the most powerful.
Quoted for the truth. IMO, MM powers should consist of flight,limited shape changing (only able to resemble humanoid life forms),intangibility, able to turn invisible for short periods of time,telepathy,and the ability to increase his strength and durability to superhuman levels. I would also have it revealed that his abilities and those of the white Martians who are on Earth were given to certain Martians (soldiers,law enforcers,and space explorers) through science when they enter those professions and are NOT natural abilities possessed by all Martians.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #32
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Eh, that really is a meaningless change unless you radically alter the entire rest of the DC alien mythos. Damn near all aliens have superpowers relative to humanity, Martians are hardly the only offenders. Besides, given there are normally only one or two Martians in existence, them having godlike powers as a species is mostly irrelevant to the plot.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #33
zenith16
Side-Kick

Here's the answer to the problem with john powers they feel he's too powerful which his strange seeing them say this I'm also putting this up in the general discussions thread.

Quote:

Superman may be the poster boy for all things powerful in the DC universe—just look at the extent of his powers in Injustice 2. But surely, he’s not the only being that’s seemingly overpowered.

Diana Prince a.k.a. Wonder Woman aside, there’s still J’onn J’onzz, also known as the Martian Manhunter. J’onzz is the great Green Martian who possesses quite a number of powers and abilities, including regeneration, shape-shifting, superhuman strength, flight, regeneration, telepathy, telekinesis, and even invisibility. When you have all of those in one being, it’s kind of hard to balance it with other heroes in a team.
\

And this is the main reason why J’onnz’s powers have been sort of suppressed when it comes to showing the character every week as a regular in Supergirl. In an interview via Comicbook.com, Supergirl producer Andrew Kreisberg shared his thoughts on Martian Manhunter being the powerful hero that he is in the universe.
“The Martian Manhunter, he’s so powerful that it’s almost too powerful for like a weekly series, like with all the things he could do. If we really deployed him at his full comic book power arsenal, no one would be able to pull anything off of anybody.”
Kreisberg added that if he had all of the powers that he was privy to in the actual comics, it would be impossible to get something over him, and put potential storylines to a halt. With pacing and little arcs very much a big point in TV, this would definitely put a damper on whatever serious curveballs that the EPs may have for Supergirl.

source: http://epicstream.com/

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #34
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

If they feel he's too powerful, then why bring him in? Why even have him?

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #35
shabadoo25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
They probably just wanted the shape shifting element and didn't take much else into account.

shabadoo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #36
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Coming from someone that is probably like a a fair share of the fandom of this show, I had never heard of Martian Manhunter until this series, so he's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #37
haephestus
Side-Kick

Yes, he's getting the shaft. But, he's not the star of the show, so it's to be expected.

At least in the beginning, they had good reason for Jonzz to "hide" his Martian Manhunter appearance and abilities. Now that everyone in the DEO knows that he's a green martian and the public is at least aware of his existence, there's no real reason to keep Jonzz confined to his Hank Henshaw appearance or to limit his power use.

Except for the fact that it costs time and money and it takes away from Supergirl being the hero of the show.

Personally, I'd be happy if they permanently depowered Jonzz. Maybe a side effect of Mgann's white martian blood could be to "lock" Jonzz into his Hank Henshaw appearance with only limited super strength and no powers of flight, intangibility, telepathy, etc. Or maybe he can only change into his green martian form for 5 minutes and he's then comatose for 48 hours afterward. That would justify Jonzz only lending a hand in the most dire of circumstances.

Either that or every single one of Supergirl's battles needs to include fire and they need to really build up Jonzz's fear of fire!

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #38
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Eh, honestly, I'm fine with him not joining *every* fight. And they do tend to have him help often enough. I'm more annoyed when they job him out by making him a complete idiot, like in the most recent ep.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #39
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Because he's one of the few major DC players they were allowed access to and is one of the few characters who could deeply relate to their main protagonist, being a fellow refugee of a lost world and culture. Unlike Superman, Kara remembers Krypton and actually felt its loss, so J'onn's her only kindred spirit in that regard. Well, until Mon-El showed up I guess. But the refugee aspect has long been a theme of this show, so Martian Manhunter was a perfect fit for that.

I'm ok when nerf J'onn's powers for clearly budgetary reasons (like him not joining in all the fights). That doesn't bother me. I'm less ok about it when they do it for lazy plotting reasons (like the most recent episode), though.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #40
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Does Jonn Jonzz seem a little weak to anyone else??
Yes. As mentioned, and seen in this episode, he can phase through most anything, so why not Jeremiah's arm? Or fist? And if it was just an arm that was replaced, it is still just one super arm on a normal human body. How is Jeremiah stronger than Martian Manhunter..?

One of a few quibbles in the last EP.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #41
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Have they covered Jonn's fire weakness yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Nope...
In the Martian Chronicles they had a scene where they were using fire to reveal the White Martian and they showed J'onn's fear of fire.

Quote:
Because he's a cool character they felt the general viewing public would enjoy and he isn't going to be in any DCEU movies anytime soon. So they probably figured even for people familiar with the character there
weren't enough hardcore nit-pickers out there to matter if he wasn't exactly the same as the comic book character down to every single minute detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
Yes. As mentioned, and seen in this episode, he can phase through most anything, so why not Jeremiah's arm? Or fist? And if it was just an arm that was replaced, it is still just one super arm on a normal human body. How is Jeremiah stronger than Martian Manhunter..?

One of a few quibbles in the last EP.
Sometimes something that looks cool trumps something that goes by the book but ends up being boring. I watch Supergirl to be entertained, not to see a documentary on the powers of the various characters.
If I question everything, I miss out on the fun.

The point of the fight was to give an action scene. The point of Jeremiah being stronger was so he could win the fight so Jeremiah could escape with the data he needed to move the story along
and set up the next episode.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #42
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
A heavy hitter like Cyborg was taken

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #43
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
A heavy hitter like Cyborg was taken
Not to be confused with Cyborg Superman.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #44
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Sometimes something that looks cool trumps something that goes by the book but ends up being boring. I watch Supergirl to be entertained, not to see a documentary on the powers of the various characters.
If I question everything, I miss out on the fun.

The point of the fight was to give an action scene. The point of Jeremiah being stronger was so he could win the fight so Jeremiah could escape with the data he needed to move the story along
and set up the next episode.
I'm not talking about making a documentary, but at least being consistent. All it would take would be a few extra plot points to explain how MM is overpowered by JD.

I did like the episode, but that's one of a few points that were far-fetched.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #45
famicommander
Side-Kick

It's really a cop out.

The Flash has the same problem. If you look at some of the stuff the Flash (Barry or Wally) have done in comics, there's no character in the universe that should be able to beat him. He can phase through solid matter and he's fast enough to phase your brain out of your skull before a single neuron can fire in your body to react. His top speed is literally trillions of times faster than light.

And yet his most iconic villain is a dude with a cold gun.

You just have to be a good writer, or avoid using these types of characters in the first place.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #46
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
I'm not talking about making a documentary, but at least being consistent. All it would take would be a few extra plot points to explain how MM is overpowered by JD.

I did like the episode, but that's one of a few points that were far-fetched.
How did Cyborg Superman overpower J'onn J'onzz? I assume the same cyborg technology was used on Jeremiah Danvers and that's how he was strong enough to defeat J'onn.
So in that regard they are being consistent. Just like the two Metallos had essentially the same powers.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #47
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

I think also, some of the reasons for lack of screen time are other projects that the actors are working on....David and Mehcad seem to be traveling a bit this season.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #48
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I don't really have a problem with Cadmus cybernetics beating J'onn, especially with the advantage of surprise. We've already seen that Cadmus can make Kryptonian-class cyborgs. The bigger annoyance is how literally nobody noticed, with not even the scantest justification provided. If your cybernetic implants are so magic they can evade medical examinations? You need to actually *say* this, and have characters comment when its shockingly revealed.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #49
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Not trying to make excuses, just looking back at the episode....they seemed to have only examined his hand, not his entire arm.

Not saying that explains it, just something I noticed.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #50
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't really have a problem with Cadmus cybernetics beating J'onn, especially with the advantage of surprise. We've already seen that Cadmus can make Kryptonian-class cyborgs. The bigger annoyance is how literally nobody noticed, with not even the scantest justification provided. If your cybernetic implants are so magic they can evade medical examinations? You need to actually *say* this, and have characters comment when its shockingly revealed.
Maybe Cadmus is very good at making realistic looking artificial skin. Kara was quite shocked to see a metal frame under Metallo's hand after she burned the flesh off of his hand with her heat vision.
So with no reason to suspect it was an artificial arm, there was no reason to examine his arm. Keep in mind the only person at this point in time suspicious of Jeremiah was Mon-El, and Mon-El had no way of
examining Jeremiah's arm. I mean do most people make a habit of examining a long lost relative for artificial parts, even if that person had been working for a group that can make artificial body parts.
And say they did find out he had a fake arm, how would that have changed things? He could have easily come up with a cover story about what happened to his real arm.