The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #76
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Default Re: Is Martian Manhunter being wasted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidFlash6969 View Post
Don't get me wrong I love David Harewood as J'onn, but prior to the CW shows, Martian Manhunter was easily as popular a character as Green Arrow or Flash.

He should have his own show, not be a barely used supporting character if you ask me.

They don't even call him J'onn half the time... Martian Manhunter has always been one of my top 3 favorite characters, its been 2 seasons and we haven't seen him eat an oreo once!
He definitely deserves his own show. It would be a way more unique concept than Supergirl as well.

I'm not saying can Supergirl, but why not give MMH his own spinoff show like they did for Flash?

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2) The Avengers: Age of Ultron 3) Man of Steel 4) Guardians of the Galaxy 5) The Dark Knight 6) Doctor Strange 7) Wonder Woman 8) Captain America: Civil War 9) The Dark Knight Rises 10) The Avengers 11) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 12) Thor: The Dark World 13) Iron Man 14) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 15) X-Men: Days of Future Past 16) Suicide Squad 17) Thor 18) Batman Begins 19) Logan 20) Ant-Man 21) Iron Man 2
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #77
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Martian Manhunter is my 2nd favorite DC character, and I honestly think the only thing not being done justice for him is his power-set. And that's understandable given obvious budgetary restrictions. His character and backstory (though tweaked to better-suit the themes of this show) have been shown respect by the writers, and I think the way the show has used him in the context of the themes they're exploring (as a fellow refugee of a lost culture like Kara) has been a very nice approach and not a waste at all. So while I'd LOVE to get a Martian Manhunter show where his character and mythology can be explored in-depth, I'm mostly satisfied with what the show has done with him.

The only thing that DOES bother me is when his power-set is ignored NOT for budgetary reasons, but for lazy plot-convenience reasons (like in "Homecoming").
You've vaulted to the top of my list of favorite mods with that statement

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2) The Avengers: Age of Ultron 3) Man of Steel 4) Guardians of the Galaxy 5) The Dark Knight 6) Doctor Strange 7) Wonder Woman 8) Captain America: Civil War 9) The Dark Knight Rises 10) The Avengers 11) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 12) Thor: The Dark World 13) Iron Man 14) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 15) X-Men: Days of Future Past 16) Suicide Squad 17) Thor 18) Batman Begins 19) Logan 20) Ant-Man 21) Iron Man 2
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #78
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
He definitely deserves his own show. It would be a way more unique concept than Supergirl as well.

I'm not saying can Supergirl, but why not give MMH his own spinoff show like they did for Flash?
Because what with Black Lightning next season the CW is already stuffed to the gills with superhero shows. And they are about the only ones interested in showing DC superheroes. After all Fox did end up passing on Black Lightning and ABC is owned by Disney which also owns Marvel. You surely don't want it on NBC or CBS considering their awful track record with superhero shows. And most cable channels have even less money so even less powers for MM.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #79
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidFlash6969 View Post
Don't get me wrong I love David Harewood as J'onn, but prior to the CW shows, Martian Manhunter was easily as popular a character as Green Arrow or Flash.
Look at the derisiveness the movie side people have addressed towards J'onn J'onzz (I think the exact quote was "how many of you out there who have heard of the Martian Manhunter have gotten laid?"). Maybe pre-Arrow you could make an argument comparing him to the Green Arrow, but he's never been as popular as the Flash.

Anyway, if he weren't in Supergirl, he wouldn't be anywhere. But the show is still called Supergirl. I'm happy with his use.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #80
Havok83
Side-Kick

No. This show is called Supergirl not MM or JL. I think he is being utilized well enough

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #81
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Because what with Black Lightning next season the CW is already stuffed to the gills with superhero shows. And they are about the only ones interested in showing DC superheroes. After all Fox did end up passing on Black Lightning and ABC is owned by Disney which also owns Marvel. You surely don't want it on NBC or CBS considering their awful track record with superhero shows. And most cable channels have even less money so even less powers for MM.
They could replace Legends or Supergirl with an MMH show.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #82
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Supergirl is the 2nd highest rated show on the network. It's not getting replaced anytime soon.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #83
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Wasn't it Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park that said just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #84
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #85
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I would totally be fine with them replacing Legends with a MMH show, though.

Or, more likely, some form of Justice League show. Maybe one with the Hall of Justice located in Detroit. *eg*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #86
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Default Re: Is jonn jonzz getting the shaft here?

Only seems appropriate to post this here as well

David says that it is frustrating that the MM isn't up to par with his comic counterpart though he enjoys the role.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #87
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Compared to the DCEU, J'onn is the King of Siam on the CW.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #88
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

In order to bring him up to par it would kill the CGI budget....if they want to do his own show, cool.....but I want the majority of the CGI going to Supergirl and the villains.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #89
Flemm
Side-Kick

Manhunter's powerset in the comics is a little on the ridiculous side, really. Superman (strength, flight, martian vision) + shape-shifting + phasing through stuff + Professor X.

He's a like a super team all by himself.

I'd rather they focused on character material, tbh, and kept the powers in check, at least within the context of this show.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #90
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Phasing/Flying/Mind Reading/Shape Shifting are the big powers, the shape shifting would be expensive but everything else not so much. The mind reading comes as goes but needs a really good episode and to a better explanation.

But the shape shifting should be used for the bigger episodes.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #91
Rschick
Newbie First Class

The EP's have already admitted in an interview that J'onn is to OP and they have intentionally cut him off at the knees otherwise there wouldnt be much of an episode. Think how often for some silly odd reason he cant seem to read someones mind.

Rschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #92
kara zor el
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
Manhunter's powerset in the comics is a little on the ridiculous side, really. Superman (strength, flight, martian vision) + shape-shifting + phasing through stuff + Professor X. He's a like a super team all by himself. I'd rather they focused on character material, tbh, and kept the powers in check, at least within the context of this show.
Agreed, he has practically like every power, its ridiculous. I think he was a poorly conceived comic book character.

kara zor el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #93
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara zor el View Post
Agreed, he has practically like every power, its ridiculous. I think he was a poorly conceived comic book character.
In the comic books though it's mostly his heart that is his biggest superpower. I think the TV show does that superpower pretty well.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #94
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #95
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

GO NOMINATE for The Best Scene in Season 1
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=531859

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #96
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
In the comic books though it's mostly his heart that is his biggest superpower. I think the TV show does that superpower pretty well.
I think on this show Manhunter is important because his outlook and experiences create a somewhat darker, more pessimistic mirror for the lead character's outlook and experiences.

That's something he provides that none of the other characters can really provide. He's more suspicious of how people will react to alien superheroes, and very pragmatic in terms of preparing for super-powered threats. The Green Martians were the victims of genocide, while Krypton's destruction was a result of a natural disaster that its people failed to prevent, essentially. So it's like an even more traumatic version of what Kara experienced.

The fact that he has superpowers of his own is nice, occasionally, but that's a secondary thing.

Last edited by Flemm; 07-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #97
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Let's remember that, because of his IMMENSE powerset, J'onn is almost always getting the shaft/being wasted, even in comics.

Here, at least they've given the character a spotlight and some solid character development.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #98
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
That would be pretty stupid of them to replace their #2 show.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #99
The_Manhunter
DCEU & MCU Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
That would be pretty stupid of them to replace their #2 show.
I didn't know it was their #2 when I posted that.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #100
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
This made me laugh....

~Martin Luther King Jr.~