The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 03-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #51
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: All About The Ratings!!!!!!

I was listening to Pandora and the theme to Forrest Gump started playing right after I posted that!

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #52
famicommander
Side-Kick

Supergirl: 1.4, 6.764 million viewers

Other DC shows on the night
Gotham: 1.5, 4.183 million viewers
Lucifer: 1.3, 3.918 million viewers

Season low for Supergirl. Still an okay number.

Lucifer still falling. Needs to level off soon.

Last edited by famicommander; 03-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.
famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #53
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Its coming up to Summer, nights are getting lighter, Neither Scorpion or Supergirl are getting the numbers they were a month ago. They are within a tenth of each other.

Remember, its all about averages and what is beneath. CBS already has plenty to cancel beneath Supergirl's average this year.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #54
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
Supergirl: 1.4, 6.764 million viewers

Other DC shows on the night
Gotham: 1.5, 4.183 million viewers
Lucifer: 1.3, 3.918 million viewers

Season low for Supergirl. Still an okay number.

Lucifer still falling. Needs to level off soon.
Yeah, I'm actually not really surprised with that...though I was hoping for at least a 1.5, that number isn't a surprise.

I think SG will go back to its regular 1.5+ and then with Ep. 18 tick up quite a bit, and end around 1.5 to 1.8 as it has been.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #55
famicommander
Side-Kick

I think it could drop to a 1.3 after DST. Most shows drop at that time.

Still good enough for a renewal, though.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #56
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I just wish we didn't have the two breaks coming up.
The more Consistently Supergirl is on TV, the better that it does

Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #57
5red
Non-lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Its coming up to Summer, nights are getting lighter, Neither Scorpion or Supergirl are getting the numbers they were a month ago. They are within a tenth of each other.

Remember, its all about averages and what is beneath. CBS already has plenty to cancel beneath Supergirl's average this year.
I suspect they are more likely to take a statistic like a median rather than an average, or some weighted calculation that isn't too far off away from a median. The median rating for Supergirl (using Live+7) is around the 1.71 mark, but it will drop to 1.64 if last night's episode is also low, then 1.53 if ratings continue to stay on the low side.

Production costs relative to other shows are also a factor.

However... I wouldn't worry. To use a footballing analogy, we're not looking at a Tranmere Rovers here, nor a Liverpool. More like an Everton. The show will be fine.

R5

Last edited by 5red; 03-01-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: More detail.
5red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #58
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I just wish we didn't have the two breaks coming up.
The more Consistently Supergirl is on TV, the better that it does
One thing the crossover will do is bring it back strong after these two breaks...which I hate as well. ; ) and I think it stay strong through the finale.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #59
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

I don't understand why all these shows keep starting and stopping. I get the mid-season breaks, but why bring a show back for 2-3 weeks just to take a week of 3 off? Seems like you're just asking for ratings to go down.

WereCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #60
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5red View Post
I suspect they are more likely to take a statistic like a median rather than an average, or some weighted calculation that isn't too far off away from a median. The median rating for Supergirl (using Live+7) is around the 1.71 mark, but it will drop to 1.64 if last night's episode is also low, then 1.53 if ratings continue to stay on the low side.

Production costs relative to other shows are also a factor.

However... I wouldn't worry. To use a footballing analogy, we're not looking at a Tranmere Rovers here, nor a Liverpool. More like an Everton. The show will be fine.

R5
Everton rarely fight a relegation battle so lets hope that analogy stands up!

But the TV Grim Reaper (formerly the cancel bear) has offered assurance
https://twitter.com/TVGrimReaper/sta...03651353399298

Only 5 more to go, 1 with a crossover bump. I think were are safe if Scorpion is. The reaper is tougher than the cancel bear who look at whole seasons.

The reaper has the following CBS goners:

CSI:Cyber
The Good Wife
Code Black
Angel From Hell
Mike & Molly
Person Of Interest

That is 4 drama, 2 comedy slots for fall to Pilots

Latest Cancel bear is here
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ants-it-to-be/

Last edited by 04nbod; 03-01-2016 at 12:04 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #61
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Is it looking likely that it will be renewed?

Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #62
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade W View Post
Is it looking likely that it will be renewed?
Yes...

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #63
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Everton rarely fight a relegation battle so lets hope that analogy stands up!

But the TV Grim Reaper (formerly the cancel bear) has offered assurance
https://twitter.com/TVGrimReaper/sta...03651353399298

Only 5 more to go, 1 with a crossover bump. I think were are safe if Scorpion is. The reaper is tougher than the cancel bear who look at whole seasons.

The reaper has the following CBS goners:

CSI:Cyber
The Good Wife
Code Black
Angel From Hell
Mike & Molly
Person Of Interest

That is 4 drama, 2 comedy slots for fall to Pilots

Latest Cancel bear is here
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ants-it-to-be/
I follow t he reaper, who use to be the cancel bear...very accurate.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #64
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereCoyote View Post
I don't understand why all these shows keep starting and stopping. I get the mid-season breaks, but why bring a show back for 2-3 weeks just to take a week of 3 off? Seems like you're just asking for ratings to go down.
Well, we just finished the Awards season, so there was that...we are about to enter March Madness, so there is that...

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #65
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

But as a big March Madness fan, I can tell you that March Madness should have 0 effect on Monday-Wednesday programming, and March Madness doesn't even start until March 17th.

Games are only played Thursday-Saturday in the NCAA Tournament, and the ONLY game played on a Monday is the Championship game in April.

And Kelly, i'm not just talking about Supergirl, all of them are doing this which makes no sense. Shoot Flash and Arrow are coming back right when March Madness gets really ramped up.

Last edited by WereCoyote; 03-01-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #66
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Supergirl is taking breaks primarily because they only have 20 episodes as opposed to the standard 22 episodes of most other CBS series.

If CBS were to simply run the remaining 5 episodes one after the other, Supergirl would finish its season by the first Monday in April, which would leave the 8/7 timeslot open for the final four or five weeks of the official broadcast season.

By having the series take breaks, CBS is able to ensure that they're able to keep a full 3-hour block of original programming airing on Mondays between now and May rather than having to find something to fill Supergirl's spot for an entire month.

Episode 16 airs on March 14th, Episode 17 will likely air on March 21st, Episode 18 will air on March 28th, and then they'll likely take another extended break until mid-to-late April, with the final two episodes airing to close out that month and take us into May, which is when most of their other series will be airing their season finales.

As far as other series taking breaks goes, the reason that happens is because of the fact that the traditional broadcast season lasts from September to May, which means that for series which follow the typical season order of 22-26 episodes, there's not enough content to fill all of that time if they were to just broadcast their episodes one after the other after the other.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #67
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

If its about episode numbers, why not just make the midseason break last a little longer, so they can get through awards season, without all these breaks and actually build ratings momentum towards the finale?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #68
Slade W
"Who Is Slade?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yes...
Thanks. That is good to hear.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #69
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereCoyote View Post
But as a big March Madness fan, I can tell you that March Madness should have 0 effect on Monday-Wednesday programming, and March Madness doesn't even start until March 17th.

Games are only played Thursday-Saturday in the NCAA Tournament, and the ONLY game played on a Monday is the Championship game in April.

And Kelly, i'm not just talking about Supergirl, all of them are doing this which makes no sense. Shoot Flash and Arrow are coming back right when March Madness gets really ramped up.
I don't like it either but, I do regularly watch the Championship Game and they will probably use the game to not only promote BVS but Supergirl as well.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 03-01-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #70
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Supergirl is taking breaks primarily because they only have 20 episodes as opposed to the standard 22 episodes of most other CBS series.

If CBS were to simply run the remaining 5 episodes one after the other, Supergirl would finish its season by the first Monday in April, which would leave the 8/7 timeslot open for the final four or five weeks of the official broadcast season.

By having the series take breaks, CBS is able to ensure that they're able to keep a full 3-hour block of original programming airing on Mondays between now and May rather than having to find something to fill Supergirl's spot for an entire month.

Episode 16 airs on March 14th, Episode 17 will likely air on March 21st, Episode 18 will air on March 28th, and then they'll likely take another extended break until mid-to-late April, with the final two episodes airing to close out that month and take us into May, which is when most of their other series will be airing their season finales.

As far as other series taking breaks goes, the reason that happens is because of the fact that the traditional broadcast season lasts from September to May, which means that for series which follow the typical season order of 22-26 episodes, there's not enough content to fill all of that time if they were to just broadcast their episodes one after the other after the other.
I don't mind the idea of show wrapping up the season in late April early May.
If the show finished in early April I would be more nervous.
The earlier, the finale the more likely the possibility of cancellation.
For example
I have never known a show that had a February season finale that came back.
The fact that CBS wants Supergirl to be part of May sweeps is very encouraging.
They seem to be giving the show every possible chance of Success.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #71
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Obviously, I am feeling very positive about Supergirls future today.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 03-01-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #72
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The NCAA title game isn't being aired on CBS this year, but TBS.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #73
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Hey as long as the show stays pretty even or any slight up weeks. All is good in my book. Again the show is more then likely a lock for 2nd season.

Werecoyto, your question on br4aks. You first have to remember the show only has 20 episodes for season. Vs most of the other network shows getting 22 to 24 episodes a season. Plus it's currently shooting finale now. Or nearly wrapping on it. So they need a few off weeks to get remaining episodes in the can.

Plus also cbs likely wants to stretch the remaining episodes out so the show still ends in may like others.

Last edited by Webhead2006; 03-01-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #74
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The NCAA title game isn't being aired on CBS this year, but TBS.
Really? The last few years they've had it on CBS, TBS, TNT, and Trutv all at the same time with different announce crews and perspectives on each channel.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #75
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Hey as long as the show stays pretty even or any slight up weeks. All is good in my book. Again the show is more then likely a lock for 2nd season.

Werecoyto, your question on br4aks. You first have to remember the show only has 20 episodes for season. Vs most of the other network shows getting 22 to 24 episodes a season. Plus it's currently shooting finale now. Or nearly wrapping on it. So they need a few off weeks to get remaining episodes in the can.

Plus also cbs likely wants to stretch the remaining episodes out so the show still ends in may like others.
I understand what you all are saying, it just seems there are better ways to stretch this, by stretching the mid-season break instead of having multiple breaks, thus stopping momentum.