The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #101
famicommander
Side-Kick

Default Re: All About The Ratings!!!!!!

Daylight savings is the culprit here. Gotham was down to 1.3 and Lucifer 1.2.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #102
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post

Daylight savings is the culprit here. Gotham was down to 1.3 and Lucifer 1.2.
Yep....I agree, and yes, everyone was down, except of course The Bachelor....lol, I just don't get that show and it's appeal, but people love it.

I guess it goes right along with "blood leads" in the news business. So weird to me.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #103
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

The Bachelor and Voice destroyed the competition. As good as last night's Supergirl was, it was an out-of-character episode. I think For The Girl Who Has Everything was going to be a hard act to follow, except likely for the crossover with the Flash.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #104
Super0000
Banned User

do you think there will be a season 2? please do not tell me that's already been renewed because the news has already been disproved.
For me is a great show

Old 03-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #105
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super0000 View Post
do you think there will be a season 2? please do not tell me that's already been renewed because the news has already been disproved.
For me is a great show
I think it will be renewed....CBS is just waiting, I'm sure for all contracts to be signed, "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #106
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I have to assume that networks do account for competition, Daylight Savings Time, and other external factors, when they judge ratings. It'd be incredible stupidity to blame a show's "low ratings" on the show, when every other show also drops due to ( say ) March Madness.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #107
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super0000 View Post
For me is a great show
CBS isn't going to cancel their top new drama. Supergirl is safe, no question about it.

In fact, (not counting X-Files because it's a continuation, not a reboot) Supergirl is the #2 new drama across all of network TV. Only Blindspot has done better, and that's from the same producer (Greg Berlanti).

Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #108
timberwolf
Side-Kick

What all contributes to the ratings. I watch live every week (pretty sure that doesn't count though as no Nielson box)Bought a season pass via amazon video (my dad used this to watch the next day)

I usually for several days after an episode airs will run the last aired ep on my computer via cbs.com (generally letting it play while I do other stuff)
Then at some point in the week I rewatch via amazon video.
And I have a friend that watches the show via on demand.

Just curious if any of the above actually contributes to the show's ratings.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #109
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

They don't contribute to the Same Day ratings, but VOD does contribute to the L+3 and L+7 definitely. The problem with just watching on Amazon and iTunes is there are no advertisements....which is what brings in the money.

But the Streaming via CBS.com as well as VOD does contribute to the later data.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #110
timberwolf
Side-Kick

Thanks Kelly. Good to know that at least some if what I and my friend does counts. I had Falling playing again today while was eating dinner...wonder if the cbs site tracks total number of views or just initial viewing from a single ip address. I usually play the latest ep for 3 or 4 days after it has aired.

Too bad amazon video and itunes doesn't count at all...so cbs doesn't get any of the money made on those sales?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #111
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

ya sucks it droped a bit. But its no where to be all its all over and doom and gloom. The show is still pulling good demo/millions of viewers numbers.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #112
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
Thanks Kelly. Good to know that at least some if what I and my friend does counts. I had Falling playing again today while was eating dinner...wonder if the cbs site tracks total number of views or just initial viewing from a single ip address. I usually play the latest ep for 3 or 4 days after it has aired.

Too bad amazon video and itunes doesn't count at all...so cbs doesn't get any of the money made on those sales?
CBS doesn't own "Supergirl" which is why it has a little bit bigger mountain to climb. But she is climbing it just fine....

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #113
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
What all contributes to the ratings. I watch live every week (pretty sure that doesn't count though as no Nielson box)Bought a season pass via amazon video (my dad used this to watch the next day)

I usually for several days after an episode airs will run the last aired ep on my computer via cbs.com (generally letting it play while I do other stuff)

The ratings are essentially anyone watching via television, whether that be live, DVR, or OnDemand. These are the factors that CBS will consider, as well as CBS's own streaming service. DVR ratings matter much less than the other factors because most DVR viewers skip commercials, so advertisers aren't likely to pay any extra for DVR viewership.

But you're correct in assuming that your specific viewership isn't counted unless you have a Nielsen box. They take the Nielsen numbers and extrapolate the total viewership from that.

Revenue from stuff like iTunes, Amazon, Play Store, Hulu, Netflix, DVD, Blu Ray, international TV, cable syndication, etc go to Warner Brothers because they own the show (as well as the Superman IP+characters and DC Comics itself). So CBS isn't going to care about any of that.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #114
Kathemy
It could happen to you

I think The Bachelor ending is good news for Supergirl, more so than for Gotham. I can see some of the fans of a reality dating TV show tuning into Supergirl. Gotham is too dark for those. So maybe next week, Supergirl might beat Gotham in the ratings again.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #115
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathemy View Post
I think The Bachelor ending is good news for Supergirl, more so than for Gotham. I can see some of the fans of a reality dating TV show tuning into Supergirl. Gotham is too dark for those. So maybe next week, Supergirl might beat Gotham in the ratings again.
I think that "daylight savings" was more the culprit than "The Bachelor"...it had 1.8's up against X-Files and The Bachelor....it should have at least hit 1.5 even with it being the finale for TB....so I think those that normally are inside when it gets dark were OUTSIDE. AND FIRST DAY OF SPRING BREAK for most school districts in the US.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #116
Kathemy
It could happen to you

Why 1.5 with the finale for TB, when it didn't hit 1.5 without it?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #117
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Lord, I could go on forever about about how much I hate The Bachelor.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #118
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Well, this is interesting....JUST POSTED on Twitter a few minutes ago.

He loves to stir the pot on twitter.....lol

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Last edited by Kelly; 03-18-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #119
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Here is a good explanation about the ratings....and a great site to follow....

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2015/11/...ings-work/821/

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #120
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

They're promoting the crossover with the Flash.

How well did they promote Falling and how well are they promoting Manhunter?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #121
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

I will say, on some of CBS' Streaming commercials, Supergirl is highlighted, which wasn't the case too much before. I'm not really watching the Basketball on CBS, so I couldn't say if they are promoting "Manhunter" more than normal, just not a big basketball fan. Football is the main game around this house.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #122
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Well, promoting the crossover is a little different.
it is a big event that could lead to even larger events.
But to answer your question, I think that they do a good job of promoting the show in general.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #123
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

once we have the officiall official word we can finally get off the whole ratings deal to we get new episodes going next season.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #124
Retroman
Side-Kick

I forgot to mention this positive development last week.

Supergirl made it's debut in Germany on ProSieben (the fifth biggest station in the country) recently. According to an article from QuotenMeter they aired the first two episodes on Tuesday just after 22:00. Despite the late start, the pilot episode drew 1.63 million viewers and episode 2 got understandably less with 1.43 million viewers.It had a 14.5% market share amongst 14-49 year olds beating rival station RTL who were showing The Blacklist.

A contributing factor to the success may have been that the pilot episode aired with only one short commercial break just before the end.

Also, the article notes that The Flash and Gotham scored even better on their debuts. However, both had a sharp fall in ratings in the weeks after.

http://www.quotenmeter.de/n/84378/su...-prosieben-hin
ProSieben's Supergirl site:http://www.prosieben.de/tv/supergirl

Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #125
Super0000
Banned User

We hope for a good ratings tomorrow, at least stay on 1.3..I think that the remaining three episodes between crossover and the season finale will do well, so tomorrow can be very important

Closed Thread