The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #76
famicommander
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,320
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Hmmmm....ok, I'm game.
We're just waiting for news.

Freedom Fighters: the Ray is already a sure thing. We just don't know when it will debut or what Earth it will take place on. But it's definitely Arrowverse in some way and it's definitely coming.

Black Lightning is at the pilot stage right now. It was originally in development at Fox and the producers had said that it wouldn't be related to the Arrowverse back then, but now that it's on CW it seems pretty likely. We just have to wait to see if they order it to series and, if they do, which Earth it ends up on. It's another Greg Berlanti show. Interestingly, the pilot is shooting in Atlanta rather than Vancouver.

famicommander is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #77
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 68,146
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Sounds interesting....

__________________

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #78
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!
 
Thome216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

On a wardrobe tone, my new tee shirt should be here soon!
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/429738-shes-super


Thome216 is online now  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 AM   #79
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Don't forget there's also Guardian.
I'm doing my best to forget :P

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 AM   #80
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
The only thing I can add in relation to this is that Gotham City was mentioned in the Superman ep.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
At this stage, Superman and Supergirl are the only widely, publicly known SUPERheroes (emphasis on "super"). It's unclear how much the public knows about Martian Manhunter. Sure, they've seen footage of him, but it doesn't seem as though he's regarded as a major, public hero in National City.

There have been strong hints that Batman exists, as Supergirl mentioned that Superman has previously worked with a masked vigilante (or a similar comment). I can't recall whether the mention of "masked vigilantes" was directly tied to the reference to Gotham City or not. I think they were separate mentions.

I imagine that we'll meet Lois Lane one day, but probably not for a long time. Possibly not until they're willing and able to bring back Tyler Hoechlin as Superman. They could include Lois Lane if they decide to pursue the Lucy Lane / Superwoman storyline from the comics, but they seem to have forgotten that Lucy Lane (and Maxwell Lord) exist!
What do you mean?

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Or did you the producers don't want to use Superman very often?

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 AM   #81
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Lynda Carter will return in an upcoming episode directed by Kevin Smith.

As for Martian Manhunter, him being too powerful is not a good argument as that would apply to Supergirl as well and she's leading a TV show. Why bring him in if they feel he's too powerful?
On all The CW DC shows there is a support team that is just too big and for the most part unnecessary. Being a superhero is meant to be a burden.

The Flash was doing fine with just Barry getting help from Star Labs and Joe. Wally being in on the secret and becoming Kid Flash so early in the series was just not needed. Even letting Iris find out Barry's secret was a mistake - it removed a lot of potential for humour and for Barry to have difficult maintaining an ordinary life. It would have been better if the writers had just developed Iris into a good character instead on a token girlfriend. Arrow's new recruits are much more interesting than Wally, but their is just too many on the team. It would be more interesting if the season started out with Green Arrow recruiting Artemis as sidekick and occasionally crossed paths with Rene and Rory, with Wild Dog's solo activities being a pain in the side for Oliver, both as hero and mayor.

Likewise with Supergirl. Martian Manhunter and the DEO are just too large a support team and yet when it comes down to it don't offer much support in a way that makes sense. Kara often flies off in into a danger they are not sure she can handle alone while Manhunter just observes and other times he shows up when it would better for us to see Kara get herself out of trouble.For example, in"Luthors". And the DEO agents never actually do anything anyway so there is little real point to the DEO. Martian Manhunter and David Harewood are great but I'd prefer a recurring, rather than regular, appearance as a mentor to Supergirl. Kara fighting crime and aliens with Wyn like (in season one) with Alex as a DEO/CIA agent - and with those two as the only main characters aware of the secret. Easy and very much less expensive.

I'm hoping that Black Lightening keeps it simple with one sidekick and a secret identity that is actually a secret. Has Berlanti said anything yet about which Earth the show would be set on?


Last edited by Mask&Cape; 03-02-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #82
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
Are Superman, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter the only superheroes on their Earth? Season One established that there is no Flash on this world.
Kara has referenced Batman at least twice on this show - one time in season 1 when she said "I thought masks were only popular in that other city." And again earlier this season when she said her cousin has occasionally worked with a vigilante who was all "gadgets and demons" and she came to the conclusion from his experience with him that "vigilantes are nuts." So I think it's safe to say Batman (and possibly other members of the Bat-family?) exist in this 'verse, she just doesn't consider him a superhero like herself, Superman or MM.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."



Last edited by flickchick85; 03-02-2017 at 04:58 AM.
flickchick85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 AM   #83
haephestus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,826
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
What do you mean?

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Or did you the producers don't want to use Superman very often?
Who knows what the real deal is. All we know is that DC granted them permission to use Superman for two episodes and to date there is no intention for them to use Superman again. Whether that's due to DC wanting to "protect" the big screen Superman or whether they simply want to allow Supergirl to be the sole / primary hero is uncertain and probably won't ever be known.

haephestus is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #84
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

The way the producers talk about it, it seems they have to get permission to use him from...somebody (either the WB higher ups, or the film division, or both). Like he was basically on loan to them for the first two eps.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #85
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Kara has referenced Batman at least twice on this show - one time in season 1 when she said "I thought masks were only popular in that other city." And again earlier this season when she said her cousin has occasionally worked with a vigilante who was all "gadgets and demons" and she came to the conclusion from his experience with him that "vigilantes are nuts." So I think it's safe to say Batman (and possibly other members of the Bat-family?) exist in this 'verse, she just doesn't consider him a superhero like herself, Superman or MM.
Thanks.

Is that bit about the "other city" a direct quote? That is terrible piece of dialogue. Why wouldn't the writers just use Gotham?

"all gadgets and demons" works when taking about a person, but not saying a place name doesn't seem right at all.

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #86
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
Who knows what the real deal is. All we know is that DC granted them permission to use Superman for two episodes and to date there is no intention for them to use Superman again. Whether that's due to DC wanting to "protect" the big screen Superman or whether they simply want to allow Supergirl to be the sole / primary hero is uncertain and probably won't ever be known.
Okay thanks for clearing that up. It is just the way you put it first made it seem like there is behind the scenes "drama" whereas it is really copyright issue and/or the desire to have the character of Supergirl stand on her own two feet - although in case they should just write out the DEO since they rarely do anything anyway.

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #87
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
The way the producers talk about it, it seems they have to get permission to use him from...somebody (either the WB higher ups, or the film division, or both). Like he was basically on loan to them for the first two eps.
Thanks for input. I know nothing of copyrights and such, it is a DC show and WB are involved with DC that that using other characters is really up to whether the writers and producers want to use them.

I know that studios and producers often think that audiences can't handle it, but I don't see the problem of there being DC characters or elements in the movies and on TV at the same time. Why can't Arrow use Suicide Squad? Why can't two actors be Superman? Who exactly would find this confusing?

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #88
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
Thanks.

Is that bit about the "other city" a direct quote? That is terrible piece of dialogue. Why wouldn't the writers just use Gotham?

"all gadgets and demons" works when taking about a person, but not saying a place name doesn't seem right at all.
LOL yes, the dialogue was especially atrocious in S1 - moments like that being a prime example. And I'm guessing they're advised not to make references too direct since Fox currently holds the TV broadcasting rights on the Batman characters/universe thanks to Gotham. But I think they've spelled it out as much as they could - Batman exists in this 'verse, we just shouldn't expect to see him or hear mention of him by name.

And I agree with you the TV and film divisions should both be granted free reign to all these characters, but fears of "diluting the brand" will probably never allow that to be the case, unfortunately.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #89
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,632
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
And I agree with you the TV and film divisions should both be granted free reign to all these characters, but fears of "diluting the brand" will probably never allow that to be the case, unfortunately.
Technically, it’s “rein” (to control). But in the particular expression “free rein” (freedom of action/expression), some have argued that “reign” (sovereignty) works too.

Dr. is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #90
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!
 
Thome216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
Thanks.

Is that bit about the "other city" a direct quote? That is terrible piece of dialogue. Why wouldn't the writers just use Gotham?

"all gadgets and demons" works when taking about a person, but not saying a place name doesn't seem right at all.
They did in the S2 premier. The father of the family Superman saves mutters about going 'back to Gotham.'

Thome216 is online now  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #91
Robert_Anthony
Side-Kick
 
Robert_Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,079
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Filming has wrapped up on Kevin Smith's episode 17 of Supergirl and on his Instagram he left the following picture and post.



Quote:
Aw, Kraptonite! It's all over! Finished my second episode of @supergirlcw at 11:30 last night with these cosplaying characters. Thank you @davidharewood, @melissabenoist & @chy_leigh - the heart, soul and spine of this wonderful weekly hour on @thecw - as well as the rest of the cast and the entire #vancouver crew! If you can't tell, I love "directing" the @dccomics shows in the #berlantiverse. Doing so has made me a stronger film-maker while allowing me to play with someone else's toys and IP. But it also provides nice cover for me in my day job so I can make masturbatory movies like @tuskthemovie & @yogahosers. Some indie filmmakers in the 90's used to work under a "One for me, One for them" philosophy - the idea being you work with a studio on something they own then jump back into the freedom of no-budget filmmaking afterwards (Soderbergh popularized this approach). Directing #supergirl and @cwtheflash is kinda like a modern-day version of that for me on one level: the three well-received eps I handled that people have seen thus far clearly indicate I know how to direct and can color within the lines when it's necessary. But my bat-**** crazy Canadian flicks (the #truenorthtrilogy) allow me to color my flicks any way I want, all artsy or stupid - which has resulted in a few baffled or hostile reactions and calls for my DGA card to be confiscated. So in a way, #supergirl has actually saved my fat ass IRL: working with this show lets me be considered "good" at directing for others while I'm so busy trying to be "bad" at directing my own material (though I like to think the flicks are more experimental than "bad"). Just another reason I love shooting **** with the folks in the photo above: by helping them be fake people, they help me be the real me. Never be scared to make what YOU want to see, Kids - but if you're gonna get goofy with your personal work, it's a good idea to simultaneously show folks you're not really an idiot - you're just trying out new stuff. Fortune favors the bold! #KevinSmith #supergirlseason2 #melissabenoist #davidharewood #chylerleigh

__________________
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke...Libertarian political satirist and journalist.
Robert_Anthony is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #92
haephestus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,826
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
I know that studios and producers often think that audiences can't handle it, but I don't see the problem of there being DC characters or elements in the movies and on TV at the same time. Why can't Arrow use Suicide Squad? Why can't two actors be Superman? Who exactly would find this confusing?
Unfortunately, I think it comes down to a rather foolish belief that people won't go to the movies and pay money to watch a character which they can watch for free on the small screen.

It doesn't make sense, especially when the tone, budget, storylines, etc of a big screen movie can be far different to a TV series. But, that's their attitude. It will be interesting to see if things change IF the solo Flash film is a huge success (and IF the Flash TV series is still on screen by the time that film is written, filmed, edited and released).

haephestus is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #93
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
LOL yes, the dialogue was especially atrocious in S1 - moments like that being a prime example. And I'm guessing they're advised not to make references too direct since Fox currently holds the TV broadcasting rights on the Batman characters/universe thanks to Gotham. But I think they've spelled it out as much as they could - Batman exists in this 'verse, we just shouldn't expect to see him or hear mention of him by name.

And I agree with you the TV and film divisions should both be granted free reign to all these characters, but fears of "diluting the brand" will probably never allow that to be the case, unfortunately.
If Warner Bros are rights holders of DC, why does Fox have Gotham? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep the property for a network under their control?

And studios really should have a little more faith - most people are quite capable of comprehending that the Superman on TV and the Superman in the cinema are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
They did in the S2 premier. The father of the family Superman saves mutters about going 'back to Gotham.'
I remember that, but it isn't enough to forgive the first woeful piece of dialogue :P

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #94
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
Unfortunately, I think it comes down to a rather foolish belief that people won't go to the movies and pay money to watch a character which they can watch for free on the small screen.

It doesn't make sense, especially when the tone, budget, storylines, etc of a big screen movie can be far different to a TV series. But, that's their attitude. It will be interesting to see if things change IF the solo Flash film is a huge success (and IF the Flash TV series is still on screen by the time that film is written, filmed, edited and released).
The way things are going with The Flash movie even all the current DC shows will have wrapped, even Black Lightening ()

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #95
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,632
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
If Warner Bros are rights holders of DC, why does Fox have Gotham? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep the property for a network under their control?
DC has to demonstrate profitability to its parent company (WB). Since comics sales aren’t what they used to be, one assumes that a big part of DC’s revenues comes from licensing their IP - to toy makers, TV and movie producers, etc. Gotham (/w Fox) was willing to pay $$$; and DC took their money.

Dr. is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #96
Mask&Cape
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
DC has to demonstrate profitability to its parent company (WB). Since comics sales aren’t what they used to be, one assumes that a big part of DC’s revenues comes from licensing their IP - to toy makers, TV and movie producers, etc. Gotham (/w Fox) was willing to pay $$$; and DC took their money.
So DC/WB sold the Gotham project to Fox because it earned them more money than making it themselves would have? In this situation did Fox have to pay all the production costs and DC/WB get a cut of the profit or would it have a once off payment (so to speak).

What was the situation with Supergirl? First it was on CBS, but then CBS didn't want the burden of the production cost so it moved to The CW, but CBS owns that with WB. Do they now share production costs?

Mask&Cape is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #97
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

For those who don't follow The Flash forum, here's the official description for the Flash musical crossover ep, which gives us the official context for how Kara ends up back on his Earth again:

Quote:
DARREN CRISS (“GLEE”) GUEST STARS AS THE MUSIC MEISTER IN THE FLASH AND SUPERGIRL MUSICAL CROSSOVER – Barry (Grant Gustin) and team are surprised when Mon-El (guest star Chris Wood) and Hank Henshaw (guest star David Harewood) arrive on their Earth carrying a comatose Supergirl (guest star Melissa Benoist) who was whammied by the Music Meister (guest star Darren Criss). Unable to wake her up, they turn to Team Flash to save her. However, the Music Meister surprises The Flash and puts him in a similar coma, one that Team Flash can’t cure. Kara and Barry wake up without their powers in an alternate reality where life is like a musical and the only way to escape is by following the script, complete with singing and dancing, to the end. Dermott Downs directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#317). Original airdate 3/21/2017.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #98
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
If Warner Bros are rights holders of DC, why does Fox have Gotham? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep the property for a network under their control?
The same reason any show ends up on any network - because they wanted it badly enough and were willing to pay the most for it. When it comes to networks/studios, profit is always the bottom line. WB doesn't care about the characters or having control as long as they're reaping the rewards.

Quote:
And studios really should have a little more faith - most people are quite capable of comprehending that the Superman on TV and the Superman in the cinema are two different things.
Agreed. But I'm not expecting them to come to their senses anytime soon, unfortunately.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #99
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,585
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Mhmm, Big Bang Theory belongs to the WB I believe but CBS pays to produce/air it.

Primal Slayer is online now  
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #100
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,650
Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Yeah, that's pretty common - a production company produces the show, another network pays for the rights to air it. That production company then makes money on the home media (on top of the money they're being paid by the network), and the network makes money from the advertising dollars. Often helps to keep costs down for both.

__________________

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."


flickchick85 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.