Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 AM   #101
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Default Re: Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
For those who don't follow The Flash forum, here's the official description for the Flash musical crossover ep, which gives us the official context for how Kara ends up back on his Earth again:
Seeing Martian Manhunter and Mon-El crossing over to Earth-1 with Supergirl is probably their way of making up for the mega-crossover they didn't participate in.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #102
emarasmoak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Seeing Martian Manhunter and Mon-El crossing over to Earth-1 with Supergirl is probably their way of making up for the mega-crossover they didn't participate in.
I think that the reason for bringing Martian Manhunter and Mon-El to Flash is because my understanding is that they are both superheroes that can be recognized by comic fans, both of them being quite powerful and popular in DC - and they think that they may bring new viewers to Supergirl.

This is the main reason for them to do crossovers and as the Flash audience is particularly interested in recognisable DC names and characters it makes sense.

Alex Danvers is awesome and a badass, but she is an original character created for the show without a superhero name or an outfit.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:26 AM   #103
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
As for Martian Manhunter, him being too powerful is not a good argument as that would apply to Supergirl as well and she's leading a TV show. Why bring him in if they feel he's too powerful?
Probably wanted a comic book character that could shape shift so they could have someone be a fake Maxwell Lord, Supergirl, little boy on a bus. And Martian Manhunter was as good as anybody so they went with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
Thanks.

Is that bit about the "other city" a direct quote? That is terrible piece of dialogue. Why wouldn't the writers just use Gotham?

"all gadgets and demons" works when taking about a person, but not saying a place name doesn't seem right at all.
Because they probably feel people will be more amused by the subtle references. Lots of people like Easter Eggs in their show. What's funny about Kara saying Superman once worked with Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
Unfortunately, I think it comes down to a rather foolish belief that people won't go to the movies and pay money to watch a character which they can watch for free on the small screen.

It doesn't make sense, especially when the tone, budget, storylines, etc of a big screen movie can be far different to a TV series. But, that's their attitude. It will be interesting to see if things change IF the solo Flash film is a huge success (and IF the Flash TV series is still on screen by the time that film is written, filmed, edited and released).
Maybe because Batman: The Movie bombed at the box office the studios got the idea that people had the idea why go see a movie about Batman when they can watch Batman on TV. So the way to solve that was to never let Batman be on TV again.
So ever since there has been no superheroes on TV when they plan on making a movie about the superhero. Hence no Superman on Smallville. I guess they let Superman be on Supergirl because there are no immediate plans for a Superman movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&Cape View Post
If Warner Bros are rights holders of DC, why does Fox have Gotham? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep the property for a network under their control?
Fox pays a licensing fee to Warner Bros. for the exclusive rights to run first run episodes of Gotham and Lucifer, just like CBS had with Supergirl last season and NBC does with Powerless this season.

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty common - a production company produces the show, another network pays for the rights to air it. That production company then makes money on the home media (on top of the money they're being paid by the network), and the network makes money from the advertising dollars. Often helps to keep costs down for both.
I suspect Warner Bros. makes more money syndicating The Big Bang Theory than they get from licensing it to CBS. That's probably why they can afford to pay the cast members $1 million an episode.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #104
emarasmoak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Maybe because Batman: The Movie bombed at the box office the studios got the idea that people had the idea why go see a movie about Batman when they can watch Batman on TV.
This has been discussed quite often elsewhere in relation to Arrow (another of the DCTV shows in CW) and there a lot of speculation about it. Apart from all the reasons that you point, there have also been rumours that some stars in the movies (such as Will Smith in Suicide Squad) didn't want another actor to be playing his character (the actor playing Deadshot in Arrow was quite memorable).

And the Arrow people have mentioned ocassionaly little things implying that they have got orders to do storylines with characters in a particular way.

For example, Willa Holland mentioned that they were going to show Harley Quinn in the first Suicide Squad episode but they got last minutes orders that they couldn't do that, so there is a little Easter Egg of a voice in jail that probably is her.
http://www.latinpost.com/articles/55...show-video.htm

Oliver mentioned in an episode that Felicity Smoak moniker could not be Oracle because it was taken (rumour is that the episode called The Origin Story of Felicity Smoak was initially going to be called Oracle and that they tried to get permission for that but couldn't).

Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #105
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarasmoak View Post
I think that the reason for bringing Martian Manhunter and Mon-El to Flash is because my understanding is that they are both superheroes that can be recognized by comic fans, both of them being quite powerful and popular in DC - and they think that they may bring new viewers to Supergirl.

This is the main reason for them to do crossovers and as the Flash audience is particularly interested in recognisable DC names and characters it makes sense.

Alex Danvers is awesome and a badass, but she is an original character created for the show without a superhero name or an outfit.
Yep, Alex is a made-for-TV character as Exodus focuses on her. Good thing she does not crossover.

With Martian Manhunter and Mon-El crossing over to Earth-1 with Supergirl, we get two of the Justice League founders between MM and Flash.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #106
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
So ever since there has been no superheroes on TV when they plan on making a movie about the superhero. Hence no Superman on Smallville. I guess they let Superman be on Supergirl because there are no immediate plans for a Superman movie.
The issue here is that they arbitrarily enforce it.

They made them kill off Deadshot on Arrow due to Suicide Squad, but not Katana.

The Flash has his own series which will almost definitely get at least 4 more seasons after this one ends, and his film is supposed to be out in 2018

Batman vs Superman came out while Gotham is still on

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #107
LL2K2
Maid of Might

The 2017 Saturn Awards announced their nominations. "Supergirl" is up for four awards:

Best Superhero Adaptation TV Series
Best Actress on a TV Series (Melissa Benoist, who received the Breakthrough Award last year)
Best Supporting Actor on a TV Series (Mehcad Brooks)
Best Guest Performance on a TV Series (Tyler Hoechlin)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #108
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

What is Mechad Brooks doing in those nominations? He's the weakest link of the series. How does he get nominated for that then?

Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #109
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Good for him. They do him so dirty, I want him to reap any rewards he can get.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #110
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

How in the world did Jimmy end up having a Saturn nomination for Best Supporting Actor after it was ill-received?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #111
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

He's the weakest actor in the cast, imo, so it's weird seeing him nominated and not someone like Chyler, but ok.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 03-04-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #112
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well, throw him a bone and give him the award, and let him go out on a high. "Go out" being the operative words. He can take the award and then exit the series, confident that he can put his "acting talent" to better use elsewhere.

I agree that Chyler should've received the nomination instead though. She gave a great and memorable performance earlier on in the season when she felt rejected by Maggie. What has Mechad done this season that is so memorable for his acting?

It's almost like some Tumblr fans (who are still trying to ship Kara and James) nominated him for this and not because of his actual acting ability.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #113
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
The issue here is that they arbitrarily enforce it.

They made them kill off Deadshot on Arrow due to Suicide Squad, but not Katana.

The Flash has his own series which will almost definitely get at least 4 more seasons after this one ends, and his film is supposed to be out in 2018

Batman vs Superman came out while Gotham is still on
Be fair, I suspect the PTB *wanted* to cancel Flash. Rumor is that Snyder tried to have it killed, specifically. Its just that Flash is so astonishingly successful that they couldn't, not when its getting better ratings than a lot of shows on "real" networks, and otherwise raking in the money to CW.

Gotham, by contrast, probably just works off the Smallville "not really ___" exemption. No idea about Katana though. I was totally expecting her to get killed.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #114
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Maybe they are preemptively awarding him for the brilliant performance he provides towards the end of the season of the hero's closest friend descending into jealously, madness, and tragic villainy?

*hopeful*

Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #115
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Be fair, I suspect the PTB *wanted* to cancel Flash. Rumor is that Snyder tried to have it killed, specifically. Its just that Flash is so astonishingly successful that they couldn't, not when its getting better ratings than a lot of shows on "real" networks, and otherwise raking in the money to CW.

Gotham, by contrast, probably just works off the Smallville "not really ___" exemption. No idea about Katana though. I was totally expecting her to get killed.
What would be the point of cancelling Flash only to make way for a potentially lesser version on the big screen, and to allow the current DCEU movies to exist freely when they're not even that well received?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #116
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
He's the weakest actor in the cast, imo, so it's weird seeing him nominated and not someone like Chyler, but ok.
I am utterly amazed that he got a nod and Chyler didn't....I can't even say they based it off of Season 1 because she killed it in Season 1 as well....BUT Calista got the nod....I just don't get it.

And I'm sorry, but if we are going to go with Guest Starring roles, Tyler is a fine Superman, but his 2 episodes were not worthy of an award, when Floriana has had much more of a run on the show.

It is just ridiculous....but, oh well...at least I have that fanbase on mute on my Twitter so I haven't had to withstand the yelling and crying tantrums.

Above was my tantrum and I'll leave it at that....lol

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 03-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #117
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Well I can understand Calista getting the nod. And maybe they knew she wasn't going to be with the show very much longer, so they gave it to her. But then, maybe that's a sign of things to come with Brooks. Maybe he's hopefully leaving too.

They should've acknowledged Chyler though. She's done more acting than Mechad has ever done in the show.

Floriana isn't listed as a guest star. She's in the main cast.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #118
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well, throw him a bone and give him the award, and let him go out on a high. "Go out" being the operative words. He can take the award and then exit the series, confident that he can put his "acting talent" to better use elsewhere.

I agree that Chyler should've received the nomination instead though. She gave a great and memorable performance earlier on in the season when she felt rejected by Maggie. What has Mechad done this season that is so memorable for his acting?

It's almost like some Tumblr fans (who are still trying to ship Kara and James) nominated him for this and not because of his actual acting ability.
He received a nom for Best Actor, exclusive to males. Him getting one didnt bump her to the side.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #119
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

So how could Calista get one last year then?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #120
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Best Supporting Actress

Old 03-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #121
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome216 View Post
On a wardrobe tone, my new tee shirt should be here soon!
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/429738-shes-super

Quick service!

My new shirt arrived!

Please don't mind the messy room!

Old 03-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #122
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Best Supporting Actress

Yeah, so they could have had a nomination for that category this year for Chyler.

^^ You were allowed to print that on a T-Shirt?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #123
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
^^ You were allowed to print that on a T-Shirt?
I didn't... They did...
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/429738-shes-super

And I must agree, though Mechad Brooks is a good actor, he has not had any real 'teeth-in-the-bone' performances. Nothing like Chyler has!

That lady rocks the camera!

Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #124
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Is that site like Cafe Press and other T-Shirt printing companies?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #125
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Quote:
Is that site like Cafe Press and other T-Shirt printing companies?
In that they do t-shirts an mugs and other such things... I guess...

Closed Thread