The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 05-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #76
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Default Re: Season Three: Tell them what ya want?

Would love to see Benoist doing double duty as Supergirl and Power Girl in an episode. Be really cool to see Supergirl play off a more aggressive version of herself.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #77
Havok83
Side-Kick

I want Mon-El to have more of a personality and stand alone as his own character as opposed to simply being Kara's bf. I get they dont want him to overshadow her but it feels like theres a bit of potential with him that is held back and not fully realized. It would be interesting if he comes back different having lived years elsewhere when its only progressed months on Earth

Bring back Lucy! I liked her and Jimmy's character arc went downhill when she was removed. She doesnt need to be a main cast member but recurring for a few episodes in the season would be fine. I'd also bring on Lois and play up her rivalry with Cat. Erica Durance should reprise the role and they can allude to Smallville being another universe in the Multiverse

More Superman. I think they should develop a Superman mini series to air when Supergirl goes on winter hiatus. He can appear in 1-2 episodes to set that up in the first half of season 3.

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #78
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I want Mon-El to have more of a personality and stand alone as his own character as opposed to simply being Kara's bf. I get they dont want him to overshadow her but it feels like theres a bit of potential with him that is held back and not fully realized. It would be interesting if he comes back different having lived years elsewhere when its only progressed months on Earth

Bring back Lucy! I liked her and Jimmy's character arc went downhill when she was removed. She doesnt need to be a main cast member but recurring for a few episodes in the season would be fine. I'd also bring on Lois and play up her rivalry with Cat. Erica Durance should reprise the role and they can allude to Smallville being another universe in the Multiverse

More Superman. I think they should develop a Superman mini series to air when Supergirl goes on winter hiatus. He can appear in 1-2 episodes to set that up in the first half of season 3.
That would be cool, but won't happen. They are going to chill with what they have on tap now.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #79
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
As for what I'd like, well I'd like that the big event episodes still emphasized a big scale with a nice big budget and not fall into the usual CW traps. It's sort of embarrassing that the alien invasion threat felt bigger here in the finale than in the CW Invasion crossover.
Agreed. The Dominators didn't really do too whole hell of a lot. The most damage they did wasn't even their own direct doing. It was mind controlling everyone but Flash and Green Arrow. Did they even blow up any buildings?
And in the final battle they were pretty easily dispatched. I think GA's team and even Flash would have a much harder time dealing with the Daxamites so maybe it was best they stayed on Earth-1.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #80
Thome216
Look at my tiny Avatar!

Tighter season story arcs. I agree with most that this season seemed to be without rudder for most - though thankfully not all - of the eps!
Far less Guardian as he is sucking up too much Kara-time!
Lena to remain good but troubled. And for Kara and her to always be besties!
A little more Superman. I want more team-ups between him and Kara, either in National City or Metropolis.
I also want other super heroes to begin guesting on the show. Could be minor or major roles. Have Supergirl and Superman be the incentives for them to come out of hiding.
And since they've gone all-in with the aliens, let's really get into it. I want to see more aliens just casually walking down the street or being in the offices of CatCo and in the DEO. Have some in uniform and working alongside Maggie or as firefighters. Let's have a spaceport built in the bay and aliens coming to visit Earth on vacation and such.
And Power Girl. I want Power Girl!! She could come from another Earth with Nu52 Supergirl's origin, costume and all and then switch to the PG costume as she settles in.

Thome216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #81
Loki882
Side-Kick

Actually go through with the Alex/Maggie wedding. Don't tease it, if you're not going to go all the way with it.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #82
BH/HHH
You Are My World

The season as a whole barring those first two episodes and Luthors has been a major disappointment. At this stage I just really hope the writers get there act together for season 3.

BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #83
Flemm
Side-Kick

I thought the story was too fragmented in Season 2.

Not every episode was great in Season 1, of course, but overall the show felt more focused.

I think this had to do with the lead character having a stronger arc that everything revolved around, and that arc was essentially a superhero origin story: Kara taking up the mantle of Supergirl.

This season had James dragging Winn around to help him be Guardian, for example, while Alex and Kara were both spending a lot of time on relationship issues. Manhunter had some solid material with M'gann early in the season, but after that he didn't have a very strong presence.

Supergirl/Kara should be the focus of the story, so the writers need to decide what they want her story to be about, and everything else should fall into place around that.

There was also a better balance between Kara material and Supergirl material in season 1, due mostly to Kara, Winn, James and Cat creating a fun dynamic at Catco. So, that is another aspect to think about. They should probably try to bring back more of the lighthearted, funny, endearing scenes revolving around Kara's job that were common in Season 1.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-23-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #84
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

I definitely see where you are coming from....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #85
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
I thought the story was too fragmented in Season 2.

Not every episode was great in Season 1, of course, but overall the show felt more focused.

I think this had to do with the lead character having a stronger arc that everything revolved around, and that arc was essentially a superhero origin story: Kara taking up the mantle of Supergirl.

This season had James dragging Winn around to help him be Guardian, for example, while Alex and Kara were both spending a lot of time on relationship issues. Manhunter had some solid material with M'gann early in the season, but after that he didn't have a very strong presence.

Supergirl/Kara should be the focus of the story, so the writers need to decide what they want her story to be about, and everything else should fall into place around that.

There was also a better balance between Kara material and Supergirl material in season 1, due mostly to Kara, Winn, James and Cat creating a fun dynamic at Catco. So, that is another aspect to think about. They should probably try to bring back more of the lighthearted, funny, endearing scenes revolving around Kara's job that were common in Season 1.
That is very well put and I agree 100%.

For me Season One was a far better show and a lot of that was due to the focus it had. It knew where it was heading. Season Two however, not so much,

Last edited by BH/HHH; 05-23-2017 at 05:18 PM.
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #86
famicommander
Side-Kick

I think season 2 was still significantly better than season 1 but they certainly made a few indefensible creative choices.

I still don't think this show has a reason to exist beyond "female empowerment".

I don't have a problem with female empowerment but you have to give me a compelling story and developed characters, otherwise it just comes off hollow.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #87
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
I think season 2 was still significantly better than season 1 but they certainly made a few indefensible creative choices.

I still don't think this show has a reason to exist beyond "female empowerment".

I don't have a problem with female empowerment but you have to give me a compelling story and developed characters, otherwise it just comes off hollow.
So more of a reason then The Flash, Arrow and LoT.

I think Kara, outside of her relationship with Mon-El, is a developed and compelling character. Same for Alex and Lena is well on her way imo.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #88
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Going by the season finale, we're getting hints about the third season:

-A third Kryptonian as the season 3 villain
-Alex and Maggie possibly getting married
-Mon-El sucked into the phantom zone or wormhole, where he may be rescued
by the Legion of Superheroes and become a member of their team.
-Cat Grant possibly recurring more in season 3 than season 2.

Which lies the problem with Supergirl that has been the problem this season - What will her season 3 arc be?

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #89
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post

-Mon-El sucked into the phantom zone or wormhole, where he may be rescued by the Legion of Superheroes and become a member of their team.

Which lies the problem with Supergirl that has been the problem this season - What will her season 3 arc be?
I certainly hope so

Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #90
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post

-Mon-El sucked into the phantom zone or wormhole, where he may be rescued
by the Legion of Superheroes and become a member of their team.

I'm going with worm hole with mon el the phantom zone doesn't make sense . he like end up in another part of the galaxy for or maybe the legion's time period

and I'm going for Reign since Osiris the poster brought it up in the final season's thread.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #91
Flemm
Side-Kick

All of these shows and movies have the same basic reason for existing: people like them, and creators can therefore make money off of them, with varying degrees of success, obviously.

I don't mean that in a cynical way at all, I enjoy various kinds of sci-fi and fantasy entertainment, of which comic book stories are an example, and there certainly seems to be a pretty substantial audience for them in general.

Some of these characters and stories can be said to have cultural significance, and a particular film or episode can make them seem particularly relevant, sure. But I don't think that is a basic requirement.

If anything, this show probably has more of a reason for existing than most, simply because of the dearth of female lead characters in the genre. I guess that would be the "female empowerment" angle.

I certainly do want compelling characters and stories. The show has a pretty solid cast of characters to work with, imho, with Kara, Alex and MM being the core characters to build around, along with Lena and maybe Cat, if she returns to the show on a regular basis.

I would like to see the main story arcs tighten up, though.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #92
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
I'm going with worm hole with mon el the phantom zone doesn't make sense . he like end up in another part of the galaxy for or maybe the legion's time period

and I'm going for Reign since Osiris the poster brought it up in the final season's thread.
Aslong as he meets and joins the Legion

Oh the world killer Reign, I remember her. I don't particularly like the whole 3rd pod thing tbh but hopefully she's a great character so it won't matter.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #93
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So more of a reason then The Flash, Arrow and LoT.

I think Kara, outside of her relationship with Mon-El, is a developed and compelling character. Same for Alex and Lena is well on her way imo.
Arrow has a coherent theme running through every season.

Sometimes, especially with seasons 3 and 4, they do a ridiculously bad job of executing it. But the theme is there.

Same for Flash.

Legends has no point, but this season they essentially acknowledged that fact and just went full ham with it. Consequently the show is much better off.

At this point I consider Supergirl the worst of the current five Arrowverse seasons (Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, Vixen) by a wide margin. It's the only show that doesn't know what it wants to be beyond a vague slogan.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #94
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Aslong as he meets and joins the Legion

Oh the world killer Reign, I remember her. I don't particularly like the whole 3rd pod thing tbh but hopefully she's a great character so it won't matter.
we'll see what happens with that worm hole. but that would be cool .

I'm also with you on Reign.

Quote:

Sometimes, especially with seasons 3 and 4, they do a ridiculously bad job of executing it. But the theme is there.

Same for Flash.

Legends has no point, but this season they essentially acknowledged that fact and just went full ham with it. Consequently the show is much better off.

At this point I consider Supergirl the worst of the current five Arrowverse seasons (Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, Vixen) by a wide margin. It's the only show that doesn't know what it wants to be beyond a vague slogan.
Yo hold up 5 shows? black lighting hasn't started yet. . when the heck did Vixen get show of her own? someone get him some water . famicommander lye down . Take it easy man . .....

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #95
DarthSkywalker

Quote:

Same for Flash.

Considering the current state of the Flash, I'd say Supergirl is the best of the bunch.

Supergirl has a theme. A coherent one. You just don't seem to care for it.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #96
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I wouldn't mind seeing any of the Berlanti shows trying the 3 arc structure AoS used, they all tied together but allowed them to keep things fresh.

- A villain who is both a mental and physical challenge for Supergirl
- Supergirl saving the day outside of DEO business
- Alex getting her own nemesis
- Cat returning full time
- Lucy returning
- Livewire in a recurring role
- Intergang
- Maggie and Alex not having melodrama every ep, just being settled
- Lena remaining Kara's friend and developing as a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
-More focus on Kara being a reporter.
-More Kara/Alex bonding. I miss those TV nights and couch scenes!
These would have been on my list as well, the Kara/Alex relationship has always been the heart of the show IMO.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #97
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah Supergirl S2 is EASILY better than Flash S3. I could barely finish Flash this season it was getting on my nerves so much, and surprise surprise it went out with a whimper as well imo.

Whereas with SG, it was simply a case of a "mixed bag" kind of season for me. Stuff that I quite liked, stuff that I didn't.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #98
DarthSkywalker

This I want for next season:

- More Kara/Alex.
- More Kara/Lena.
- Mon-El eventually being gone for good.
- A villain worthy of a Superman and Supergirl team up.
- Catco to be run by Cat.
- No more Guardian.
- Kara to spend a bit more title doing the little hero things.
- Kara doing her "normal" job.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #99
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
we'll see what happens with that worm hole. but that would be cool .

I'm also with you on Reign.

Yo hold up 5 shows? black lighting hasn't started yet. . when the heck did Vixen get show of her own? someone get him some water . famicommander lye down . Take it easy man . .....
Vixen got her own show in 2015. It's on CW Seed and even though it's short form, it's coherent and well written compared to its sister shows.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #100
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Considering the current state of the Flash, I'd say Supergirl is the best of the bunch.

Supergirl has a theme. A coherent one. You just don't seem to care for it.
No, it really doesn't.

There is no central conflict, no important lesson for the character to learn. It's just a series of plot contrivances designed to drill into the minds of the viewers that women are powerful. The issue is, pretty much everybody watching (including myself) already buys into that message and didn't need to be told.

For a little bit it looked like the theme was the effects of immigrants but they fumbled that ball and ended the season on an ambiguous note.

Aside from learning she can beat up Clark, Kara is really no better off as a person after the events of this season.

Barry and Ollie both had personal, central conflicts that required them to face and overcome something about themselves they didn't like or event want to acknowledge.