The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #101
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season Three: Tell them what ya want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
Vixen got her own show in 2015. It's on CW Seed and even though it's short form, it's coherent and well written compared to its sister shows.
oh you mean the animated one, of the one that has been ignored exsitance wise since showing up on arrow . I miss that one.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #102
Flemm
Side-Kick

Other than Supergirl winning a couple of fights at the end of the season, including the one against Superman, there really wasn't a big emphasis this season on "women being powerful" as a regular thing.

Supergirl herself not being showcased enough as the main heroic, powerful character in the story was a frequent complaint for most of the season.

The first season was an origin story, the second season's theme was mostly "aliens in exile," including the question of how alien immigrants are treated, but also the way different alien characters react to being exiled from their homeworld, with the Martians and Daxamites being other examples of that.

I don't think that the theme was handled in a consistently compelling manner throughout the season, but that was definitely the main focus overall. The way it ended was ambiguous, but that is not necessarily a condemnation of it.

The theme was already present a bit in season one, but it received more emphasis in the 2nd season.

I tend to agree that Kara would benefit from a stronger character arc in the 3rd season. Quite a bit of this season's conflict was basically external to the main character.

Last edited by Flemm; 05-23-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #103
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
No, it really doesn't.

There is no central conflict, no important lesson for the character to learn. It's just a series of plot contrivances designed to drill into the minds of the viewers that women are powerful. The issue is, pretty much everybody watching (including myself) already buys into that message and didn't need to be told.

For a little bit it looked like the theme was the effects of immigrants but they fumbled that ball and ended the season on an ambiguous note.

Aside from learning she can beat up Clark, Kara is really no better off as a person after the events of this season.

Barry and Ollie both had personal, central conflicts that required them to face and overcome something about themselves they didn't like or event want to acknowledge.
Yes, it really is.

Barry has spent three 3 season devolving. His central conflict is his moodiness leading to him becoming a whiny child. Not Batman has spent 4 seasons being all over the place and contradicting himself. I gave up halfway through this season because I couldn't take it anymore.

Kara has spent the series so far trying to find her place in the world, and learning what it means to be a hero. The first half of this season had her learning how to be a mentor of sorts until they dropped it really. It really is no different then Barry, except unlike him, she hasn't spent a huge amount of time feeling sorry for herself and being a complete idiot.

And there has been clear, overarching storylines in both seasons.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #104
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

One thing I have been wanting since the show started was more Angry Kara like the one in the comics. We got that in like one episode each season, which I don't think is nearly enough considering this is a character that's seen more loss than arguably any hero in the D.C. Universe. There's A LOT of anger simmering under the surface of that sunny disposition, and this show has barely scratched the surface of it. Now I'm not expecting to see the Red Lantern Kara arc on this show, but maybe if the writers wanted to tap into the spirit of that, they'd have a solid character arc to explore, which they actually seem pretty well set up for at the end of the season since she doesn't seem to be in a very great place emotionally at the moment.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #105
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
One thing I have been wanting since the show started was more Angry Kara like the one in the comics. We got that in like one episode each season, which I don't think is nearly enough considering this is a character that's seen more loss than arguably any hero in the D.C. Universe. There's A LOT of anger simmering under the surface of that sunny disposition, and this show has barely scratched the surface of it. Now I'm not expecting to see the Red Lantern Kara arc on this show, but maybe if the writers wanted to tap into the spirit of that, they'd have a solid character arc to explore, which they actually seem pretty well set up for at the end of the season since she doesn't seem to be in a very great place emotionally at the moment.
When I think angry Kara, I think of her losing it on her mother's hologram. I'd welcome that, though damn was that scary.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-23-2017 at 11:14 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #106
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Yes, that was literally the 1st scene of the show that actually impressed me and made me decide to stick with it after I had initially dropped it. Great scene.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #107
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Yes, that was literally the 1st scene of the show that actually impressed me and made me decide to stick with it after I had initially dropped it. Great scene.
Thinking back, that was a rather jarring scene considering what the show had been to that point. It was like, "oh, they are serious here". And Melissa really sold it well.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #108
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Yes, it really is.

Barry has spent three 3 season devolving. His central conflict is his moodiness leading to him becoming a whiny child. Not Batman has spent 4 seasons being all over the place and contradicting himself. I gave up halfway through this season because I couldn't take it anymore.

Kara has spent the series so far trying to find her place in the world, and learning what it means to be a hero. The first half of this season had her learning how to be a mentor of sorts until they dropped it really. It really is no different then Barry, except unlike him, she hasn't spent a huge amount of time feeling sorry for herself and being a complete idiot.

And there has been clear, overarching storylines in both seasons.
More like one and half devolving in Flash.

Remember the beginnings of season 2. Remember the happy times. Remember Patty.

Seriously, Flash started to go off the rails when they got rid of Patty. And while I don't mind Barry and Iris, I prefer him and Patty. At least Arrow has righted the ship.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #109
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
More like one and half devolving in Flash.

Remember the beginnings of season 2. Remember the happy times. Remember Patty.

Seriously, Flash started to go off the rails when they got rid of Patty. And while I don't mind Barry and Iris, I prefer him and Patty. At least Arrow has righted the ship.
I do remember Patty. Its when it started imo. If you can't make that work, well yeah you are just being self-destructive. The first season of Flash feels like a minor miracle at this point. I will always cherish it.

This is my fear for Supergirl. That it will eventually turn the angst switch to max. But even with how I felt about the Mon-El relationship, Melissa and the writers still keeps her pretty upbeat. Probably why her big emotional moments really work for me. It is a legit tonal shift. I don't watch these show for pure angst. I do enjoy some angst, but it can go into overload

Which reminds me, Alex and Maggie. I really hope they are just a normal couple going forward. Don't need any odd little conflicts for B-story plot lines next season.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-24-2017 at 04:02 AM.
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #110
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, Alex/Maggie should just be the happy background couple at this point. I mean yes, they should still get screentime, but screentime that's actually relevant to the main plot. Their relationship does not need its own plotlines.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #111
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, Alex/Maggie should just be the happy background couple at this point. I mean yes, they should still get screentime, but screentime that's actually relevant to the main plot. Their relationship does not need its own plotlines.
I think season 2 had a bit of relationship overload, at least in the middle of the season.

Of course these characters are going to get romantically involved, and some of that is positive. You have all these attractive people, it would be bizarre if they never noticed one another or were always single, etc. And "will they or won't they?" tension can get old fast.

But, on the other hand, if romance (and characters pairing off as couples) becomes too prominent, everything can start to feel soap opera-ish, and that isn't really the appeal of a show like this.

So, for example, I think focusing on new relationships for both Kara and Alex at the same time was a bit too much. One or the other at a particular moment would probably have been better.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #112
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Arrow has a coherent theme running through every season.

Sometimes, especially with seasons 3 and 4, they do a ridiculously bad job of executing it. But the theme is there.

Same for Flash.

Legends has no point, but this season they essentially acknowledged that fact and just went full ham with it. Consequently the show is much better off.

At this point I consider Supergirl the worst of the current five Arrowverse seasons (Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, Vixen) by a wide margin. It's the only show that doesn't know what it wants to be beyond a vague slogan.
While I think Supergirl is still better than LoT, I have to agree. Beyond "girl power", Supergirl doesn't have a good idea what it wants to be. Hence why it has a lot of subplots and subthemes, that don't really mesh. Also why it tends to trip over itself more. More than anything, season 3 needs to decide what its core theme is, and then work to tie everything to that theme. I mean, subplots can contrast, or be narratively unrelated, but they should still reflect the core story, or at least provide intentional breathing room.

Oh, why do I still think Supergirl is better? It may be incoherent, but it has some good stuff. Legends of Tomorrow this season? Has been aggressively, offensively bad, not just in execution but in concept. It was like an entire show full of Jimmy Olsen.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #113
BH/HHH
You Are My World

It's sad for me that Supergirl dropped to the bottom for me of the 4 live action shows. I honestly think this season it's been way worse than Arrow (which has been mixed). Flash hasn't shifted from number 1 for me, but behind that was Legends closely this past season which surprised even me. Supergirl has some serious work to do, personally getting rid of most of the relationship drama would be a good start.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #114
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

I want Granny Goodness as a villain and played by Betty White.....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #115
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
ohh that's just... people want to hit granny goodness ten million times over . but betty white face ..... that just ohhhhhhhh.. No one will be able to do that. the be frustrating to alot and other's won't know what to do with her. poor kara.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #116
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

Also in Season 3, I want more of this.....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #117
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Why not have her played by Ed Asner? He played her in the Justice League cartoon.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #118
Frodo
Side-Kick

I'd love to see Powergirl as a frenemy. Someone who's a total contrast to Kara in nearly every way, and someone who Kara wouldn't see eye to eye with in terms of dealing out justice and world view.

I'd also love to see some other actors from the past make guest appearances on the show as they did this season.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #119
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'd love to see Powergirl as a frenemy. Someone who's a total contrast to Kara in nearly every way, and someone who Kara wouldn't see eye to eye with in terms of dealing out justice and world view.

I'd also love to see some other actors from the past make guest appearances on the show as they did this season.
I mentioned how they could bring power girl about already powers girls dad was estranged the details are below inthis quote I made to flick chick in bold. butthe estrament was between jor el and his twin nim El kara's dad was the youngest.

From >>: Re: Supergirl Season 2 Episode 21 "Resist" - MAJOR SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Quote:
Since they had no problem making up a totally different Mon-El than the one from the comics, I think they could make Power Girl into an Anya-type of character.

The Kryptonian hatred just runs too deep!
I Don't know about that. she doesn't really need to be anya like personality wise .

but I did find out jor el had two brothers there's kara's dad as we know. but people don't know or may have for gotten that jor el has a twin brother. named >> Nim-El <<there's the link

From the
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/House_of_El

this would be a great way to have power girl come in and I found out the whole last name with el mean's star in human so Karan "star."

what I'm proposing is that may be jor el and his twin brother just didn't talk to each other compared to kara's father and he lost contact/ be came estranged cause Nim El was sorta a tony stark like character personality wise . since he made weapons as a scientist. Didn't know of his twin brother had a kid til krypton was about to die and may be power girl was sent to earth the earlier then the other two kids . instead of her being an more mature kara. she's her own person and cousin that was distant due to jor el and Nim-el just not talking to each other / estrangement.

until the absolute final days of krypton. by then it too late but not for their kids . I don't think she has distaste for human but knows what they are capable of since she been her to observe them longer. I may be make a year older then alex

this just me speaking and thinking. but it 'll be interesting . the writer's of this live action show will do what they want in the end. and most likely may not put her in at all.

But yeah I'd put this part in Especially seeing Jor el had two brothers from his own dad of the same name Jor el senor or the first as they called him. it's interesting to know. and where the last name star came from to be used for power girl .

Old 05-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #120
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

Well, I think we may be getting what many have missed...

1. More kick ass Kara...
2. More sister time.
3. Less emo relationship drama.
4. More Lena.
5. More formidable villain.

I think what we are hearing is pointing to all of those...

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #121
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
oh you mean the animated one, of the one that has been ignored exsitance wise since showing up on arrow . I miss that one.
Mari has been mentioned multiple times on Legends of Tomorrow and they just released a film that combines the first two seasons of the web series with 15 minutes of brand new content.

Megalyn Echikunwoke is busy. That is why we haven't gotten more of her in live action yet, and it's why the Amaya Jiwe character exists in the first place.

We are still likely to get a third season of the web series as well.

They have not forgotten her. They did, however, introduce an inconsistency when Amaya had her totem taken off. The animated series says that once the totem has bonded to its host, it can only be removed by killing the host or using a specific spider venom. I guess it's possilbe Amaya hadn't bonded with the totem permanently yet but more likely they just forgot.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #122
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mari has been mentioned multiple times on Legends of Tomorrow and they just released a film that combines the first two seasons of the web series with 15 minutes of brand new content.

Megalyn Echikunwoke is busy. That is why we haven't gotten more of her in live action yet, and it's why the Amaya Jiwe character exists in the first place.

We are still likely to get a third season of the web series as well.

They have not forgotten her. They did, however, introduce an inconsistency when Amaya had her totem taken off. The animated series says that once the totem has bonded to its host, it can only be removed by killing the host or using a specific spider venom. I guess it's possible Amaya hadn't bonded with the totem permanently yet but more likely they just forgot.
what happen ifthere's more then one totom? per family member? what if amaya is her great aunt and not her grandma? that should make things easier. cause the inconstancy they did with legends are a little too much. and that would be the best way out of it. but that's if it were me doing it after I saw the mess that put up by the other writers of the show. cause woooo what mess.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #123
Kelly
On A Wing And A Prayer!
SHH! Administrator

I want both Kara and Alex to grow as strong independent women. Don't get me wrong I loved the Alex/Maggie relationship, and I loved the Kara/Mon-el relationship. I would just like the first half of the season to really allow these two strong women to grow independently, even from each other somewhat. In the sense that they figure things out without running to one or the other. Any couch scenes we have, allow them to be fun scenes, eating pizza, squabbling over the TV remote, game night with the guys, etc. And then kickin ass the rest of the time.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #124
vantheman77
Side-Kick

I hope we can see some time traveling through the Legion of Superheroes.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #125
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

To not kill Maggie.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote