Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #801
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That's not really Keaton's doing, it's the script and Burton's direction. If the script called for dialogue then we would be having a different conversation these days about Keaton not always being so quiet and letting the suit do the talking.

The bat-turn is also just the reality of the cowl/neck and how the actor is forced to turn that way. Bale did the same bat-turn in his Begins suit. It's not like they had a choice.
This coming from the same person who posted this a few months ago on another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Burton doesn't know what the hell he's doing and he proved that when full creative control was given to him in Batman Returns. The visual, the designers and the cast is why we had good moments in those 2 films. It has nothing to do with Burton or the scripts.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #802
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy

I love it when someone's caught in the act, it just makes my day.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #803
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Keaton's Bat-turn was awesome partly as a result of the "leather" cape he wore: it whipped up and around him dynamically. Poor old Bale's shower curtain was just there.
yeah, dat cape

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #804
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Lol

Jerry and Joe were gentlemen. Bob Kane was a thief and a glory-hound who was more concerned about profit and prestige. I cannot bring myself to believe the same things about Stan Lee in regards to his two main contributors, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. I'm inclined to believe Stan's version of events as he has usually been very willing to credit his co-conspirators, but the truth is because different versions of credit exists, we will never truly know.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #805
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's called watching the film since then and realizing you were wrong in the past by saying that Burton had nothing to do with anything. I still dont think the scripts were anything to write home about. And it certainly doesn't take away the fact that the suits are made this way so the actors have to turn like a robot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I love it when someone's caught in the act, it just makes my day.
And what "act" is that? lol

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #806
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Yep... that leather cape looked amazing. Over the shoulders was always the best look.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #807
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I wouldn't mind them going back to the leather cape for Batfleck (even though I suspect his cape will be CGI like Superman's).

The leather has such weight and presence to it.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #808
regwec
Make Mine Marble

It would look even better contrasted with grey fabric, too.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #809
shauner111
Side-Kick

The leather worked for that suit but i dont want to see it with Batfleck. It will probably be like Cavill's suit. Most of the time it will be CG'd in there.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #810
Macphisto
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
It's been noted that Keaton removed some of Batman's dialogue himself, so he clearly did have a handle on the characters attitude and the persona he wanted to project.
I might be going senile but is it on the Returns DVD where Daniel Waters explains he wrote these huge Batman monologues only for Keaton to go "Nope, I [Batman] wouldn't say that ... Nope, too much talking." I remember getting a chuckle out of that.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #811
Blitzkrieg Bop
Fight Owens Fight

Does that mean Keaton read the "Eat floor" line and thought, "Hmm, yeah, Batman would say that?"

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #812
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Does that mean Keaton read the "Eat floor" line and thought, "Hmm, yeah, Batman would say that?"
LMAO that line makes me laugh every time. I have to say, im not trolling here guys, when i say that the line is absolutely horrible. Especially Batman saying it. The dialogue in that scene is atrocious but hilarious. Pure comedy. It's just not what i think of when i think of Batman saying something

Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #813
DCW
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep... that leather cape looked amazing. Over the shoulders was always the best look.

Man, both those suits are so freaking beautiful!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #814
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Kane, could you make a gif of the Penguin taking off on his umbrella-copter, please? I love that scene.

- The Joker
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #815
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy

The leather cape is and will always be my favorite cape out of any of the films, it just had a life of it's own, and as seen above looked beautiful on screen. The cape that Bale wore blew in the wind beautifully as well and added to the iconic look of Batman much like we had never seen before, it's too bad the damn thing did look like a towel hanging over his shoulders most of the time.

I have to say one of my favorite things about BR was all of Penguins awesome umbrellas, he had the best gadgets of the entire movie.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #816
Ponyboy
Serenity now!

Cs Funny Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
This coming from the same person who posted this a few months ago on another thread...
LOL thanks for that

Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #817
Gunther Revenge
Banned User

Why was this movie not rated R, BTW? If this was not a Warner movie It would have gotten the R rating.

I think this is the only Batman movie that warrants it.

Not a big fan of the Burton movies but they are a lot more gruesome than what Nolan did.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #818
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvengeance View Post
the leather cape is and will always be my favorite cape out of any of the films, it just had a life of it's own, and as seen above looked beautiful on screen. the cape that bale wore blew in the wind beautifully as well and added to the iconic look of batman much like we had never seen before, it's too bad the damn thing did look like a towel hanging over his shoulders most of the time.

I have to say one of my favorite things about br was all of penguins awesome umbrellas, he had the best gadgets of the entire movie.
^this!

Jerry and Joe were gentlemen. Bob Kane was a thief and a glory-hound who was more concerned about profit and prestige. I cannot bring myself to believe the same things about Stan Lee in regards to his two main contributors, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. I'm inclined to believe Stan's version of events as he has usually been very willing to credit his co-conspirators, but the truth is because different versions of credit exists, we will never truly know.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #819
Ponyboy
Serenity now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Revenge View Post
Why was this movie not rated R, BTW? If this was not a Warner movie It would have gotten the R rating.

I think this is the only Batman movie that warrants it.

Not a big fan of the Burton movies but they are a lot more gruesome than what Nolan did.
Not sure what scenes in the film you're referring to that would qualify it for that rating...

Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #820
Gunther Revenge
Banned User

The dialogue, the scenes like the Penguin spewing blood, the burnt corpse, whatever. A really nasty movie.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #821
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Oh please... If Home Alone 2 can show a burnt corpse being electrocuted, then so can Batman Returns.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #822
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Oh please... If Home Alone 2 can show a burnt corpse being electrocuted, then so can Batman Returns.
lol but that was a skeleton with a beard. It looked really comical.

- The Joker
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #823
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

That gif of Batman turning to look into the helicopter spotlight...I cant stop looking at how the belt just drops down as he finishes the turn..I cant unsee it..

the middle gif of batman runnin down the alley is bad though...I hate the rigidness it shows on the cape..

I love both capes....they both have great shots where they really shine onscreen.
It would be nice to have a scene of batman on a pure sprint...that weird little run he does in Batman '89 wasnt very good..

I prefer Bat '89 over Returns... I love everything in the closing of the film, starting with the batmobile heading into Axis chemicals...the visuals of batman in the church are all amazing.

Last edited by the5timechamp; 12-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #824
Ponyboy
Serenity now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Revenge View Post
The dialogue, the scenes like the Penguin spewing blood, the burnt corpse, whatever. A really nasty movie.
Mmm... none of that really qualifies. It seems the "F" bomb being dropped more than once, and nudity and/or sexual situations are the clinchers.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #825
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I rewatched it again yesterday because it's Christmas time and it fits and damn it is very dated. While Batman 89 holds up mainly for nostalgia, for some good character moments and the goth-stylish noir atmosphere, Batman Returns is a claustrophobic mess.

If it the characters had different names , not related to Batman it would have been a good freakshow-Tim Burton movie perfect for Christmas and Halloween but as Batman Mythos characters, dammit, everyone is wrong, except maybe Batman. Keaton does a great job but he isn't given a good role, Batman is just there, Burton is not interested in him because he has 2 more weird characters to occupy screen time with.

Pfeiffer's Catwoman is hot and iconic and all but it is overacting at it's finest. It is enjoyable and by far the best part of the film along with her awesome costume and Danny Elfman's brilliant music.

I didn't remember it to be this bad and maybe it will grow on me, i do plan in seeing it a couple more times to fully digest everything because it had been a while since i saw it. I didn't find it entertaining, which really bothered me, even Batman Forever managed to entertain me for what it was.

Some of them fell into Hell
Closed Thread