The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #226
jaymes_e06
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 20,655
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Angela Bassett is also very short. And last time I saw her at a public event, she had enormous thighs. But back in 1999 she might have made a good alternative to Halle Berry during the casting process.
True but as was stated earlier Halle looked much taller in the first X-Men when they put her in heals so I don't really think that would have been a problem. And her thigh size? lol

as you can see in the above photos Angela’s proportions are almost identical to Storm from the comics.

Oh well I love Halle but I just wish she could have been a bit more commanding in the X-Films because as it stands now I have a hard time believing she could lead a team.


Last edited by jaymes_e06; 08-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
jaymes_e06 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #227
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 32,384
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post

Oh well I love Halle but I just wish she could have been a bit more commanding in the X-Films because as it stands now I have a hard time believing she could lead a team.
Yes, but that's not Halle's problem. You have to remember that there's been an agenda from Day 1 to make Wolverine the lead star of this franchise. And this agenda meant that every existing leader figure---Xavier, Scott AND Storm---had to take a back seat so Logan could "take command".

This was seen at its worst in X-Men: The Last Stand. That was the film where FOX vaporized both Xavier and Scott in the first half of the film....and made Storm run around in flats...whining.

__________________
"Give The Rights Back To Marvel" is officially now a thing.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #228
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 32,384
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
Last time I saw her at a public event, she had enormous thighs.




















































You are so random.

__________________
"Give The Rights Back To Marvel" is officially now a thing.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #229
EnDz0n3
Marvel Legend
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,690
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

I wouldn't necessarily say Logan "took command" in X-men. He's a rebel, he won't follow orders. "Give him an order worth following" said Xavier in a deleted scene from that movie. I wish they kept a number of deleted scenes from X-men.

EnDz0n3 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #230
NanaT
X-Men United!
 
NanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say Logan "took command" in X-men. He's a rebel, he won't follow orders. "Give him an order worth following" said Xavier in a deleted scene from that movie. I wish they kept a number of deleted scenes from X-men.
I wish they kept the scene between Storm and Rogue. I think Halle's accent sounded really good in that scene as well (at least to me) and I just love the scene. It also kind of foreshadows Stryker's plight with him wanting Xavier to cure his son.

__________________
X-MEN
Alone, You Are Mighty
Together, You Are LEGENDS!
- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #231
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: chicago,il
Posts: 743
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdMe View Post
But her portrayal of Storm can be adjused somewhat by her. The commanding prescence you dont need to have that in the script to make it believable thats Halle, and as I mentioned before she is meek in the character i dont believe when she is trying to be stern its looks as if she is trying to hard. Eventhough I liked her in X3 my fav scene was when she told Wolvie. "If your gonna be with then be with us" She delivered that line.

Storm was not WRITTEN in X-men 1 to be commanding. It MUST be in the script or side notes. How does Halle know to be commanding if she doesn't know the character is commanding? Just about everyone who worked on this franchise came into it not knowing a damn thing about their characters. Directors will stop shooting and tell actors to be this way or that way while shooting. If the director wants a certain character to come off a little differently or be more passive, she or he will say so, and they will give it another take. Just look at the dvds/blu rays of Singer directing his actors in their roles or any DVD behind the scenes footage for that matter.

I believe that most comic book fans don't care if they characters are played well on screen, they just care if they look like them in their minds! Just like I can accept that Storms looks different in different versions of the X-men universe, I can accept that she looks different in a real life movie. On many forums people debate hair, clothes, skin tone, height, fitness, voice. Comic characters are based on a concept and will never talk, walk, breath, eat, or sleep. Just like different universes of the same comic, someone else will come along and put their stamp on a character.


Last edited by PoSeiDon; 08-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.
PoSeiDon is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #232
jaymes_e06
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 20,655
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Yes, but that's not Halle's problem. You have to remember that there's been an agenda from Day 1 to make Wolverine the lead star of this franchise. And this agenda meant that every existing leader figure---Xavier, Scott AND Storm---had to take a back seat so Logan could "take command".

This was seen at its worst in X-Men: The Last Stand. That was the film where FOX vaporized both Xavier and Scott in the first half of the film....and made Storm run around in flats...whining.
I hate it too. Storm/Scott should have been the ones to be the Cap America of the films instead they are made to act like second fettle characters.

jaymes_e06 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #233
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 14,840
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
They were what's called thunder-thighs... lol

Which sounds ideal for a character called Storm, except Storm is tall and sleek and curvy...

__________________
Show me an X-Men comic where Mystique is the leader and walks round all day as a bored blonde
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #234
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I'm curious who they would get to play storm in a FC sequel with them Characters
Thats a good question off the top of my head ill say Keke Palmer I think she is a good upcoming actress.

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #235
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
only young actress i really liked for a young storm was keke palmer she is only 20
yas baby yas lol

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #236
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Angela Bassett is also very short. And last time I saw her at a public event, she had enormous thighs. But back in 1999 she might have made a good alternative to Halle Berry during the casting process.
Thighs really? You can work out to lose that,her body was amazing in Tina Turner Biopic and she has always had those athletic arms.

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #237
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
Storm was not WRITTEN in X-men 1 to be commanding. It MUST be in the script or side notes. How does Halle know to be commanding if she doesn't know the character is commanding? Just about everyone who worked on this franchise came into it not knowing a damn thing about their characters. Directors will stop shooting and tell actors to be this way or that way while shooting. If the director wants a certain character to come off a little differently or be more passive, she or he will say so, and they will give it another take. Just look at the dvds/blu rays of Singer directing his actors in their roles or any DVD behind the scenes footage for that matter.

I believe that most comic book fans don't care if they characters are played well on screen, they just care if they look like them in their minds! Just like I can accept that Storms looks different in different versions of the X-men universe, I can accept that she looks different in a real life movie. On many forums people debate hair, clothes, skin tone, height, fitness, voice. Comic characters are based on a concept and will never talk, walk, breath, eat, or sleep. Just like different universes of the same comic, someone else will come along and put their stamp on a character.
The first movie I was ok with because IMO it was an intro of Ororo Munroe to the world of people who dont necesarily read comics and I loved her in that movie. And yes the actors have to follow a script,but at times when an actor/tress is playing a character role they get some kind of insight or backstory on their own to bring the character to live or to make it seem similar to the character. I didnt expect it in the first movie but yes Halle can have a commanding presense I didnt once say that it was completely and all her fault because Singer is at fault as well, but lets not pretend Halle was knowledgable about Storm throughtout the movies,she knew fans were unhappy and could have touched up on Storm a little and I love as well what she brought in X3,my fav movie.

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #238
Crimz
Side-Kick
 
Crimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 889
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

If she did the accent and a good Storm-like monologue in X3, then I would have been o.k with her portrayal.

Crimz is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #239
EnDz0n3
Marvel Legend
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,690
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I hate it too. Storm/Scott should have been the ones to be the Cap America of the films instead they are made to act like second fettle characters.
Cap was sorta kinda second fiddle to Ironman in Avengers.

EnDz0n3 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #240
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 32,384
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
I believe that most comic book fans don't care if they characters are played well on screen, they just care if they look like them in their minds! Just like I can accept that Storms looks different in different versions of the X-men universe, I can accept that she looks different in a real life movie. On many forums people debate hair, clothes, skin tone, height, fitness, voice. Comic characters are based on a concept and will never talk, walk, breath, eat, or sleep. Just like different universes of the same comic, someone else will come along and put their stamp on a character.
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I think most fans want a balance of both. And technically, both the exterior appearance and performance are completely linked for a satisfying portrayal of any character.

__________________
"Give The Rights Back To Marvel" is officially now a thing.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #241
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,879
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Angela Bassett would have been great as Storm in terms of presence and voice. She is commanding without even trying and speaks deeply and clearly. Halle has a softer voice and body language.

However, Angela would have probably suffered even worse criticisms over the look. She's even shorter than Halle, so that would have been a big nitpick as Halle already looked pretty short next to Hugh and Famke. I'm also thinking that Angela in a white wig would look even more ridiculous than Halle... way more costumey. It just clashes with her features.

I love long-winded discussions about these things so I don't mind, but this debate has been going on and on FOREVER! My biggest criticisms of Bryan and Halle's Storm are things Bryan should have fixed. He could have done any of the following:

- Told Halle to move more gracefully and assuredly. Storm should walk like she's on a catwalk.

- Told Halle to hold her head up instead of often pointing it down.

- Fixed her lines (from X2) to take out things like "oh yeah" and "gotta shake 'em".

These things are so easy, and they point out that Bryan is not really concerned about these issues. First and foremost he's a fan of movies not comics. It's us fans who are the diehards and know/care about all of this. Maybe over the years he's learned to as well.

josh8 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #242
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Angela Bassett would have been great as Storm in terms of presence and voice. She is commanding without even trying and speaks deeply and clearly. Halle has a softer voice and body language.

However, Angela would have probably suffered even worse criticisms over the look. She's even shorter than Halle, so that would have been a big nitpick as Halle already looked pretty short next to Hugh and Famke. I'm also thinking that Angela in a white wig would look even more ridiculous than Halle... way more costumey. It just clashes with her features.

I love long-winded discussions about these things so I don't mind, but this debate has been going on and on FOREVER! My biggest criticisms of Bryan and Halle's Storm are things Bryan should have fixed. He could have done any of the following:

- Told Halle to move more gracefully and assuredly. Storm should walk like she's on a catwalk.

- Told Halle to hold her head up instead of often pointing it down.

- Fixed her lines (from X2) to take out things like "oh yeah" and "gotta shake 'em".

These things are so easy, and they point out that Bryan is not really concerned about these issues. First and foremost he's a fan of movies not comics. It's us fans who are the diehards and know/care about all of this. Maybe over the years he's learned to as well.
Lol I love it. Idk if id want that but being graceful,regal and poise im all for.

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #243
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,879
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdMe View Post
Lol I love it. Idk if id want that but being graceful,regal and poise im all for.
Haha it's just an exaggeration, but thanks for humoring me!

Just look how much changes when you tilt your head a bit...



How high is just right? LOL

josh8 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #244
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 32,384
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

All of these photos of Halle OUT of costume prove that the potential to be a good--even great--Storm was always there. The potential was simply untapped.

__________________
"Give The Rights Back To Marvel" is officially now a thing.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #245
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,247
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
All of these photos of Halle OUT of costume prove that the potential to be a good--even great--Storm was always there. The potential was simply untapped.
I agree with you the potential is truly there if she could just release it Ill be a happy camper. Im hoping that DOFP is different though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Haha it's just an exaggeration, but thanks for humoring me!

Just look how much changes when you tilt your head a bit...



How high is just right? LOL
Halle does look beautiful in this pic I do see the difference its the subtle things that could have changed so much of her portrayal.

BeholdMe is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #246
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,879
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
All of these photos of Halle OUT of costume prove that the potential to be a good--even great--Storm was always there. The potential was simply untapped.
Seriously! They didn't even let her wear earrings in the movie LOL.

josh8 is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #247
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: chicago,il
Posts: 743
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

X3s Storm was just about bad arse! I don't know why they let Calisto womanhandle her so much but her lightening scenes were great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDxGAddfQnA

PoSeiDon is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #248
jaymes_e06
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 20,655
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Haha it's just an exaggeration, but thanks for humoring me!

Just look how much changes when you tilt your head a bit...



How high is just right? LOL
Halle for some reason naturally looks down (maybe she thinks it's more flattering) but yeah she looks so much like Storm outside of the films for some reason.

I agree that she looked the most like Storm in X1 though.

jaymes_e06 is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #249
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 21,479
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
I feel this is overkill. At which point during X3 did she "yell" at someone and all of the time? The only time she really yelled was at Logan when she saw Jean on the ground. She was forceful and upfront about how she felt, plain and simple.
Add obtuse to that list of traits. Especially in the Cure announcement scene.

I don't really care, I liked Halle just fine in X1 and 2. I'm not the biggest Storm fan there is (in fact, I'm not really a Storm fan), but all I'm saying is there was inconsistency between Singer-Storm and Ratner-Storm.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #250
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 8,199
Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 2

I've just been browsing some of the comments here but in a movie where you have a 6'2" actor playing a 5'3" character, somehow an actress having "bigger thighs" would have been a character problem?

As for Halle if there's any issue with her portrayal of storm I really put that about 90% on the writing being responsible for that and not her. Meryl streep couldn't have sold that frog line.

Bruce Malone is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.