The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #426
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Jack the Giant Killer by Bryan Singer?

I don't get why some studio heads are so dense? Anyone here could have told you (and many did) a $200 million "gritty" re-telling of the jack and the bean stock tale would arguably end up as a flop but yet they still go ahead with it?

If independence day 2 minus will smith gets made i'm predicting the exact same thing.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #427
roach
I am the night

the thing is no one knows what will catch with the GA and what won't. We all know movies that should have flopped and made billions and movies that I should have made billions and flopped.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #428
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

By all logic stupid comedies and big noisy blockbusters are things you expect to fail, but the audience surprises you. The U.S. and international audiences are not predictable, both have taken to and hated flicks you'd never expect.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #429
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
By all logic stupid comedies and big noisy blockbusters are things you expect to fail, but the audience surprises you. The U.S. and international audiences are not predictable, both have taken to and hated flicks you'd never expect.
International somewhat yes but on the domestic front the last few years there's been few surprises and honestly most of the major flops i predicted.

I predicted Pirates 4 would greatly under-perform domestically (which it did), same for John Carter, Green Lantern, Battleship, Dark Shadows and of course Jack.

I'm not even trying to brag or anything or make myself out to be some wiz at predictions i just thought they were that obvious.

The only blockbuster that really did somewhat better than i expected and just barely was the snow white flick. Now there were some films that did better than i thought they would, like avatar and the avengers but i never thought they'd be flops.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 04-05-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #430
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
International somewhat yes but on the domestic fron the last few years there's been few surprises and honestly most of the major flops i predicted.

I predicted Pirates 4 would greatly under-perform domestically (which it did), same for John Carter, Green Lantern, Battleship, Dark Shadows and of course Jack.

I'm not even trying to brag or anything or make myself out to be some wiz at predictions i just thought they were that obvious.

The only blockbuster that really did somewhat better than i expected and just barely was the snow white flick.
but you had the advantage of baseing you assumptions on footage...an exec has to base theirs on scripts and filmmakers...by the time the footage comes in its much too late...they are already committed

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #431
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
but you had the advantage of baseing you assumptions on footage...an exec has to base theirs on scripts and filmmakers...by the time the footage comes in its much too late...they are already committed
That's true but again even on premise I knew Jack wouldn't do great and as soon as I heard a $200 million dollar the lone ranger movie was in the works i figured strongly it would flop and this was before i saw any footage or anything.

Frankly the footage has just strengthened my belief in that. It's like the proposed ID4 sequel, there are just some things that you know the audience isn't asking for, yet they'll be granted $200 million dollar budgets.

The studio's really have no one to blame but themselves for this, for allowing these films to be made in the first place.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #432
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I don't get why some studio heads are so dense? Anyone here could have told you (and many did) a $200 million "gritty" re-telling of the jack and the bean stock tale would arguably end up as a flop but yet they still go ahead with it?
I think Jack The Giant Slayer being a flop had less to do with it being a "dark & gritty retelling of Jack & The Beanstalk" and more to do with it costing the studio $200 million. People often forget that the Grimm Brothers' original fairy tales were very dark and gritty, filled with horror violence and even sexual undertones/themes that have been diluted and kiddy-fied by Disney and others.

No, the real problem is the $200 million budget. There have been many very successful sword & sorcery films, space operas, action films, etc, which have cost them only $50 million or less. Didn't Star Wars have an original budget of $10 million back in '77? And I believe they went $7 million over budget by the time they got it to theatres.

And look at all of the horror films of the 70's & 80's. John Carpenter's Halloween only cost $300,000 plus another $50,000 to get Donald Pleasance onto the cast. Sean Cunningham's Friday The 13th only cost about $1 million. Wes Craven's A Nightmare On Elm Street cost $4 million.

You need to sink enough money into a film in order to make it good, this is obvious. But just because you put enough money into a film to feed a small third world country for a year, doesn't mean you're going to make a movie that will be any good, or even a good movie that people will want to see.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #433
Thundarr
Side-Kick

I've just done a little research on Wikipedia.

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy cost $281 million (of course that's for the ENTIRE trilogy, which averages out to aproximately $94 million per film)

Conan The Barbarian (1982) cost $16 million.

Conan The Destroyer (1984) cost $18 million

The Beastmaster (1982) cost $8 million

Say what you will about these films, even the worst among them is better than Jack The Giant Slayer was. And most of them cost significantly less. If Jack The Giant Slayer had cost even as much as one of the Lord Of The Rings films, and made even $150 million at the BO, that could be seen as a success. The less you spend, the more likely you're going to make your money back, just so long as you spend that money wisely. Spend it all on lousy writers and over the top special effects, the movie will be a failure. Spend it on one good writer, good special effects, and a good cast and crew, and you SHOULD have a hit.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #434
terry78

Considering there were no really A-list actors in the thing aside from maybe Tucci and McShane, I don't know where the budget went. Not to salaries.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #435
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The visual effects are why these movies are costing 200-250mil now. It's Hollywood's cash and they can spend it however they please and I'm sure most movies eventually. turn a profit because. they keep making them but there will be huge bombs if they keep giving 200mil to dumb ideas that anyone can see are going to fail.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #436
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

If the studio spent all that cash on Jack the Giant Slayer's visual effects, they got ripped off. Those giants were mega fake.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #437
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
If the studio spent all that cash on Jack the Giant Slayer's visual effects, they got ripped off. Those giants were mega fake.
I think the effects look ghastly but I can deal with bad effects if the rest of the film looks appealing but it didn't. I also liked the cast but the film just looked bad to me. Oz didn't look wonderful either but at least it's previews looked somewhat decent. Warners knew they had a flop on their hands because the promotion wasn't good.

I understand that the fairytale movie is a thing now but these budgets are too big for them. Huntsman did okay but it didn't need that 170mil budget. Overseas helped it become a modest hit but the studio really should have kept the budget below 140mil. Oz is doing only okay because of that huge 215mil price tag. Jack the Giant Slayer should have never been made so it's budget should have been zero.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #438
dark_b
Side-Kick

to remind everyone about the effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
very interesting article on Digital Domain VFX snafus and bankruptcy related to this film:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059106

Tuesday's pre-dawn announcement that Digital Domain Media Group had declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy and then sold part of itself to Searchlight Capital Partners for $15 million touched off some celebration in Hollywood.

Digital Domain, after all, is a storied name in visual effects, and this announcement suggested it would be reborn in something close to its original form. Layoffs or salary cuts in its L.A., Vancouver or Bay Area offices were ruled out. There might be misery at the company's Florida ventures, including 3D conversion and startup animation studio Tradition Studios, but those were severed from the new entity Digital Domain Productions, so that pain need not spread.

But as details emerged of the nature of the bidding ahead and the problems that brought down DDMG, including vfx snafus on Warner's "Jack the Giant Killer," it became clear those West Coast celebrations are somewhat premature.

Tuesday morning's optimistic announcement was meant to reasure clients and staff, but Digital Domain Productions, the company split off from Digital Domain Media Group, won't officially be acquired by Searchlight until the sale is approved by the bankruptcy court, and such approval is not certain. Searchlight is acting as the "Stalking Horse" in the bankruptcy; it has established a floor for the bidding for DD, but another buyer could come in.

Press reports Tuesday indicated Prime Focus is interested in bidding for Digital Domain.

Even in California there was a growing dark cloud inside the silver lining of the Searchlight bid. The bankruptcy announcement was met with outcries from vfx artists who have worked for DD in recent months but have not been paid. Bob Coleman of Digital Artist Agency said he alone has four clients who are owed money by DD, including Brian Begun, owed $21,160 for working on Universal's "47 Ronin."

A DD spokesperson conceded that payment for both independent contractors and employees had been affected by the filing. "We are seeking approval to release payment to these independent contractors as soon as possible," said DD. "This process does have to be court-approved during bankruptcy proceedings."

Emerging details on how DDMG wound up in bankruptcy in the first place did little to brighten the picture. The company spiraled into bankruptcy in part because it adopted some unconventional financing: A $35 million loan from Tenor Capital that was to be repaid with stock, not cash. When DDMG defaulted, that amount owed ballooned to $51 million, a structure one industry insider called "usurious."

DDMG's bottom line was also wrecked by a disastrous year from its visual effects business.

Almost all of DD's visual effects capacity was devoted to two movies. One was "Ender's Game," for which Digital Domain is doing the effects at cost in exchange for an equity stake in the picture. This is a proven method for vfx studios to improve their return on a movie, as long as the vfx company isn't counting on cash flow from the job to stay afloat.

Digital Domain's other big project was "Jack the Giant Killer," a project so catastrophic DD employees came to call it "Jack the Company Killer."

According to several insiders, DD underestimated the complexity of the vfx on "Jack," underbid for the work, tried new software and techniques that didn't entirely succeed, and found itself having to re-do scenes. The re-dos were unremarkable for a studio movie but they obliterated DD's already-low margins.

CEO Ed Ulbrich told Variety "Jack" was "a contributing factor" in the bankruptcy "but by no means is that the only reason."

Management told employees that work and staffing will continue, and added that DD cannot honor former CEO John Textor's pledge of $100,000 to fund a vfx trade organization while it is under bankruptcy.

Textor continues to explore options to re-open Tradition Studios, the animation studio he'd modeled after Pixar. The former CEO had an expansive vision of Digital Domain's future, including military contracting for simulation and training. If that vision is to be realized, DDMG will have to go on without the vfx business, apparently.

The proposed new Digital Domain Prods. includes DD's Venice, Calif. HQ; its Bay Area and Vancouver branches, its virtual producition studio in Playa del Rey and its commercials business, and Mothership Studios, also in Playa del Rey.

Ed Ulbrich is CEO of Digital Domain Prods. Jody Madden continues as chief operating officer. Darin Grant is chief technology officer. General counsel is Joe Gabriel. Digital Domain Prods. will continue to outsource work to Reliance offices in London and Mumbai.

Not included in the proposed new entity are the Digital Domain Institute in Florida; Tradition Studios; and the 3D conversion business descended from In-Three. All those remain with DDMG, along with In-Three's patent portfolio.

Digital Domain Media Group faces a probe from the State of Florida into how it received $20 million in subsidies.

One ironic detail from the closing of DDMG's toon shop: Some omputers for Tradition Studios were picked up at auction after Disney shuttered ImageMovers Digital. If there is such a thing as cursed computers in the animation biz, they may be it.

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #439
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I don't know if anyone here watches GoT? but they had a giant featured in the last ep. and i think it looked way better than what you saw in Jack. Also probably could have saved the film half it's budget had they taken this approach to the effects:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #440
dark_b
Side-Kick

was he talking? i have some eps from S2 left.

its easier to concentrate on small amount of shots then on a 2 hour movie.

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #441
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

The movie industry and the game industry face the same problem: this dreary binary of very low budget products and incredibly high budget products. There are no middle budgeted titles left. Do you know that the Tomb Raider reboot sold under studios expectations of three million units. That's right. Three million. Every publisher apparenly thinks they are 2K and Rockstar. Let them continue to inflate the budget of the games/films (and their huge marketing campaigns) and they will feel the vindictive heat when five million games sold or four hundred million in Box Office fails to garner profits.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #442
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
The movie industry and the game industry face the same problem: this dreary binary of very low budget products and incredibly high budget products. There are no middle budgeted titles left.
It's a sad fact in this day and age. The studios don't want to invest a decent amount of cash into $30M-$75M films, they either want to spend pennies on microbudget pics like Paranormal Activity or the whole house with $100M-$200M flicks that aren't a sure thing (unless they're sequels or based off an existing property).

There are dozens of good scripts that can be made within the $30M-$75M range, as well as potential franchise properties.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #443
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Agreed! Hell, the blind cyclops in the first episode of Xena: Warrior Princess was done better. As was Goliath in the David & Goliath episode. And the titans. Hell, practically the entire show was better done than Jack The Giant Slayer. And considering the small budgets TV shows have to work with, that's saying a lot.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #444
chaseter
Bland User

It bombed...shocker...not really though.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #445
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
was he talking? i have some eps from S2 left.

its easier to concentrate on small amount of shots then on a 2 hour movie.
No, he was only on screen for a bit but from what i gather the effect a) looked more real at least in the surroundings and b) arguably would have cost less than full cg giants. I believe the giant was essentially a guy in prosthetics and then re-sized with cg.

I'll add, one of the reasons the original LOTR trilogy was so cost effective is they did use old school special effects tricks like forced perspective and actually guys simply kneeling down to portray the hobbit at times.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #446
jacobed
Banned User

They could have easily just have done one or two giants and work really hard at making them look fantastic

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #447
terry78

I figured they were just gonna do that but he chose to remake that Giant Slayer pic instead of just the Jack and the Beanstalk tale, with the one giant, the magic harp, the golden goose, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #448
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally got to see this, it was entertaining, and the CGI once you were into the movie didnt bother and seemed to fit with the rest of the look of the film. Thought this shouldnt have cost $195 million, you just dont see this on the screen i'm afraid.

The cast were all decent, as you expect, with newcomer Eleanor Tomlinson being quite good and very pretty, Hoult, McGregor, Tucci and McShane were also good, as was Bill Nighy as the lead Giant. The final action set piece/battle was very well done, with some great moments and a great demise for a main character. The story was quite bland and what you would expect, overall it was a fun watch, but, it is definately Singers worst movie so far (thought I never saw Apt Pupil). It seemed his heart wasnt in this one, as his usual commitment to character building and emotion just didnt seem as abundant in this as his previous movies.

7.5/10.

Was very excited for this year when two of my favourite directors, Singer and Raimi, were releasing fantasy films, and both have turned out quite average, dissapointing. I hope Singer can get back to his best for DOFP.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote