The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen

Default Ryan Murphy Inks Giant Deal With Netflix

Ryan Murphy Inks Giant Deal With Netflix

Another mega producer is leaving their longtime TV studio home to head to Netflix. In what is believed to be the biggest TV pact ever, Ryan Murphy, an Emmy, Golden Globe and Peabody Award-winning producer, director and writer, has signed an overall deal with Netflix, which sources say could reach as high as $300 million.

Under the multi-year agreement, which starts June 1, Murphy and his Ryan Murphy Productions will produce new series and films exclusively at Netflix. Murphy will head to Netflix, which also is home of top broadcast drama showrunner Shonda Rhimes, after a long stint at 20th Century Fox TV.

“Ryan Murphy’s series have influenced the global cultural zeitgeist, reinvented genres and changed the course of television history. His unfaltering dedication to excellence and to give voice to the underrepresented, to showcase a unique perspective or just to shock the hell out of us, permeates his genre-shattering work,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix. From Nip/Tuck – our first licensed series – to American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson and American Horror Story, we’ve seen how his brand of storytelling captivates consumers and critics across the globe. His celebrated body of work and his contributions to our industry speak for themselves, and we look forward to supporting Ryan in bringing his broad and diverse stories to the world.”

Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Default Re: Ryan Murphy Inks Giant Deal With Netflix

Hopefully this will help him have shows that sustain that S1 feel.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Sawyer
High King

I think Ryan, at this point, has been afforded a good deal of creative freedom, so if there's drops in quality, that's really on him more than anyone else. I don't think this move will change any of that.

To me, the bigger thing here is the likelihood that the Disney deal was a deciding factor in this move.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

I agree...just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt for once lol.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Sawyer
High King

I mean, I love his stuff when it's fresh, so there is some excitement to this, but he just gets bored so goddamn easily. Even with AHS, which is something that you'd think would hold his interest, due to his format... it's just basically become "Give Sarah Paulson some new s*** to play and make her scream and otherwise, who cares?"

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I'm happy to watch anything Murphy does.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #7
Silvermoth
Avenger

I hope they included a big enough budget for him to get all the fabulous ageing actresses he wants.

But I was hoping he would have a shot at a possible dazzler movie. Anyway I would watch anything of his

Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Doctor Jones
No One

So is Murphy making $300 million off this? If so, at this rate, Murphy is on track to becoming a billionaire in the next fifteen years along with Rhimes. He's playing it smart. And I say, you make those billions, Murphy. Most writers should be making much bigger bucks.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
Silvermoth
Avenger

I thought he was given that amount to make tv shows. So it's not all his paycheque. Basically what he doesn't spend he gets to keep. I assume. But I know nothing