The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
Diabo
Banned User

Default Re: What makes TDK so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octopus View Post
Agreed. What I like about the Empire list is it's based on votes from hundred of thousands of people. Not just the Empire staff. The Hollywood one is based on votes from Studio chiefs, Oscar winners and TV royalty.

Mr. Chris Nolan should be proud his Dark Knight movie is so renowned and loved. I wonder how many voted for the Hitfix superhero movie list. It doesn't say.
Oh, now i get it. So, whatever is more popular wins.

Diabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #52
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

The basis of those lists was people voting for what they consider the best movies. That's how they ranked their lists, based on the vote numbers. So yes the one with the most votes got the top place on each list.

I prefer lists like that which are based on many opinions rather than just one person like these lists usually are based on.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #53
batman1
Side-Kick

Mr. Nolan!

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #54
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: What makes TDK so special?

Long may it stay that way.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #55
NewYorkSpider
Norm!

I think it was the way the story was told. To me, that's one of the most important things a comic book movie needs in order for it to be successful. Not a lot of them have achieved that IMO. I want to feel for these characters in the end. TDK was one of those films that did that.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #56
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Heath Ledger made the film. Tbh the rest was pretty crap.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #57
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

EDIT: Nevermind. That opinion will never stop being asinine. For a myriad of reasons.

Last edited by Agent Orange; 08-29-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #58
batfreakforever
A real fan

It was a comic book film like no other before or even after it.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #59
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
EDIT: Nevermind. That opinion will never stop being asinine. For a myriad of reasons.
Shouldn't ever say someone's opinion of a movie is wrong, you just disagree. Doesn't make it wrong.

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #60
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
Heath Ledger made the film. Tbh the rest was pretty crap.
So everything else was crap. Directing, writing, the other acting and cast, everything with Harvey Dent, Bruce Wayne, Batman, Alfred, Lucious, Gordon, just crap. I understand not liking it as a batman movie or comic book movie because that's all about taste. But to say "crap". I'd love to know what films you consider good. Because at the very least, as a movie, i dont see how one can say it's "crap".

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #61
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
Shouldn't ever say someone's opinion of a movie is wrong, you just disagree. Doesn't make it wrong.
It's asinine. While we're at it, lets pluck Hannibal Lecter from the Silence of the Lambs and see what we're left with. Bottomline: You can't fault a film for having an iconic performance/character.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #62
The Joker

Quote:
It's asinine. While we're at it, lets pluck Hannibal Lecter from the Silence of the Lambs and see what we're left with. Bottomline: You can't fault a film for having an iconic performance/character.
Hear hear

I'll never understand that mentality of criticism saying if you took out a key character performance the movie wouldn't be as good. I mean that applies to any movie.

- The Joker
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #63
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Without Lector, SOTL would be discussed in the same context as The Bone Collector.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #64
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
So everything else was crap. Directing, writing, the other acting and cast, everything with Harvey Dent, Bruce Wayne, Batman, Alfred, Lucious, Gordon, just crap. I understand not liking it as a batman movie or comic book movie because that's all about taste. But to say "crap". I'd love to know what films you consider good. Because at the very least, as a movie, i dont see how one can say it's "crap".
Crap was a bit unfair. But Ledger made the film special.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #65
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It works both ways though. Ledger's performance would've been wasted in a lesser film. It's the marriage between the actor and the material that led to the magic. The Joker as a character is supposed to stand out anyway. But the film is full of great characters performances, again all driven by a really strong screenplay and very clear, strong vision unifying everything.

TDK is really one of the easiest films I've ever had to "defend".

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #66
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

EDIT: D'oh! Wrong thread.

Last edited by Agent Orange; 09-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #67
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
It works both ways though. Ledger's performance would've been wasted in a lesser film. It's the marriage between the actor and the material that led to the magic. The Joker as a character is supposed to stand out anyway. But the film is full of great characters performances, again all driven by a really strong screenplay and very clear, strong vision unifying everything.

TDK is really one of the easiest films I've ever had to "defend".
Exactly. Green Lantern wouldn't be considered one of the best comic book movies of all time if they had put Heath's Joker in there. You need a good movie to compliment the character.

- The Joker
Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #68
batman1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
It was a comic book film like no other before or even after it.
What you said. It showed us the real sides of the characters we never understood before.

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #69
The Joker

^ I wouldn't go that far. It's more a case of showing them well, rather than showing us something we'd never seen before regarding the characters.

- The Joker
Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #70
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I would still say TDK took Batman, The Joker and Harvey Dent...three of the most crucial characters of the mythos, and told the most definitive story involving all three of them that's ever been told in any medium.

I can't think of another story that was as great of a Joker story as the one we got in TDK while also being a great Harvey Dent/Two-Face origin story.

And then making the ending about hiding Dent's downfall from the city even after he's dead, that was new territory for the mythology and made for one of the most powerful endings of any Batman story ever.

The potential was always there in the characters, but TDK really crystalized it IMO.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #71
Astro13Zombie
Side-Kick

This thread.

Astro13Zombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #72
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I would still say TDK took Batman, The Joker and Harvey Dent...three of the most crucial characters of the mythos, and told the most definitive story involving all three of them that's ever been told in any medium.

I can't think of another story that was as great of a Joker story as the one we got in TDK while also being a great Harvey Dent/Two-Face origin story.

And then making the ending about hiding Dent's downfall from the city even after he's dead, that was new territory for the mythology and made for one of the most powerful endings of any Batman story ever.

The potential was always there in the characters, but TDK really crystalized it IMO.
Now that I agree with

- The Joker
Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #73
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Something random I came across in a RDJ interview:

Quote:
When Chris Reeve was Superman and Michael Keaton the first Batman, I never would have believed how dominant this genre could become, with intrigue, suspense, family. I have no beef with the way anything goes down. I was gob smacked when I work up one morning and heard, “You’re nominated for Tropic Thunder,” and I was like, “Huh?” If someone really takes a risk, it doesn’t get dismissed. That’s what happened when the Oscar was won posthumously by Heath Ledger, who did one of the definitive villain performances of all time. But it really has to be exceptional in defining everything we previously knew about the actress or the actor.
http://deadline.com/2014/10/robert-d...gibson-845359/

I know Downey famously trash-talked TDK but I always figured it was a bit of tongue-in-cheek trolling. Anyway, nice to see that little show of respect. It's always cool when you hear other actors admire the performance.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #74
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Cool find. And RDJ was definitely playing with his "F Batman!" stuff. Iron Man came out two months before The Dark Knight... Marvel... DC... he was just having some fun.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #75
The Joker

Downey was probably a little annoyed that Iron Man got eclipsed by TDK that year, but I don't think he harbored any real resentment towards TDK itself as a movie, just the fact that his CBM kind of got pushed out of the spotlight after TDK came out.

That's a great quote there. He was always a booster of Heath's performance.

- The Joker