The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

View Poll Results: I will...
Definitely see the sequel. 79 63.71%
Ony see the sequel if it has more action, better costume etc.. 4 3.23%
Only see the sequel if it has no continuity w/ SR, no kid, no Richard etc.. 11 8.87%
Wait and decide based on more info. 18 14.52%
Definitely not see the sequel. 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #501
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who else is ready for any Superman movie announcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Still no official announcement?

Why does Hulk have anything to do with it?

And won't the decision to put Doomsday into Smallville have an impact on choice of villain for the next Superman movie?
hulk: maybe because it is a reboot. they will look if changing the director,actors and look of hte movie can bring more money.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #502
The Guard
Side-Kick

Who wouldn't like to hear news about another Superman movie? But you know...I can wait.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #503
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Until there ready to make a good movie, I don't want to hear a thing.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Kasich 2016

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #504
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
I think that at this point everything is in play.
By now at WB they have clearly understimated their sh characters.
They showed to be interested only in a new franchise able to be the "new harry potter".
They were ready to sacrifice even Nolan and his Batman to do a "Transformers with shuperheroes". LOL
The JLA was one of the crappiest idea ever, only the fans of Welling were excited because they thought that their idol would have been cast.

Nevertheless I think that the future isn't too bad: at WB they are ready for another megaflop a la Poseidon-->SpeedRacer and I don't think that TIH will do enought to justify a reboot.

All these elements can be vital for the MOS.
Yeah, at this point Warners seems to have no friggin clue what they are doing. I SEE SPIDEY and I were discussing this over in the Speed Racer thread. It seems like every time they try to launch a big blockbuster it fails, be it in pre-production like JLA or in theaters like Speed Racer, Poseidon, and Superman Returns. Their only big money makers are animated (like Happy Feet) or Potter, with the occassional successful one shot like V for Vendetta and 300. I'm not ready to call Batman a big money maker just yet. It is a limited demographic super hero movie, but we'll see how TDK does before we call it a "franchise" (and even if it is, they probably only have one movie with the original cast and crew left after TDK). Warners just can't get a franchise off the ground to save their lives.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #505
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yeah, at this point Warners seems to have no friggin clue what they are doing. I SEE SPIDEY and I were discussing this over in the Speed Racer thread. It seems like every time they try to launch a big blockbuster it fails, be it in pre-production like JLA or in theaters like Speed Racer, Poseidon, and Superman Returns. Their only big money makers are animated (like Happy Feet) or Potter, with the occassional successful one shot like V for Vendetta and 300. I'm not ready to call Batman a big money maker just yet. It is a limited demographic super hero movie, but we'll see how TDK does before we call it a "franchise" (and even if it is, they probably only have one movie with the original cast and crew left after TDK). Warners just can't get a franchise off the ground to save their lives.
Your right on about Warners. Out of all the major studio's, they seem to be the most clueless when it comes to live action blockbusters. They way they are structured, they are destined to fail more often than not do to corporate bs. The way they treat DC is appauling a well. I never thought I'd see Iron Man on the big screen before Flash or Green Lantern. Warner's can't even get those two characters there own animated show, which I have been suggesting for some time now. Even if they did not want to make a big budget GL flick, the potential for a controlled budget based Flash or Green Arrow flick getting turned into a nice profit while at the same time pleasing fanboys world wide is there, and they sit on it.

It' a shame what happened to New Line, I had always wished that AOL Time Warner had given that studio control over the DC characters. They would have just sat around and made comic flicks all day.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Kasich 2016

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #506
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
hulk: maybe because it is a reboot. they will look if changing the director,actors and look of hte movie can bring more money.

also because he is a popular well known uber powerful character whose first modern movie didn't give him the proper treatment, nor did it pit him against a real super Villain.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #507
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Don't assume success for the Hulk though. I could see how Hulk could easily go the way of Iron Man or Speed Racer. There is definitely a case for both. Only time will tell.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #508
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

AT WB they simply don't have faith in their franchises: three years aren't enough to decide the fate of their main sh franchise...it is a shame, expecially when the other studios maximize what they have (for example Hulk).

I'm glad of the megaflop of SpeedRacer, probably it will help them to use their brains in the future.

Last edited by Ita-KalEl; 05-10-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #509
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Speed Racer wasn't really Warners' fault. If it had any chance of success, it should've been animated with a much lower budget.

However, The Wachowskis made one of the highest grossing franchises of all time and followed it up by producing a pretty successful movie in the form of V For Vendetta. They could've asked for a 200 million dollar budget to film paint drying on a wall and Warners would've had to green light it. The Wachowskis built up that kind of credibility through The Matrix trilogy (of course, now they've blown it and will have to make a safe movie next). But yeah, considering their track record, a 100 million dollar budget for a huge effects/action kids movie isn't really that bad.

Honestly, I'm suprised they didn't try to make a Plastic Man movie. They have tried to sell Plastic Man scripts in the past and worked really hard to get it made prior to The Matrix. Oh man, could you imagine how far back that would set super hero movies at Warners? The Wachowskis using their Matrix clout to force production of Plastic Man which turned into a big budget bomb.

Last edited by Matt; 05-10-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #510
Showtime
Your Friend In Time

Quote:
Weren't people saying that about the writer's strike? Studios are not going to let the SAG go on strike.
I wouldn't place any bets on that chief.

Quote:
Speed Racer wasn't really Warners' fault. If it had any chance of success, it should've been animated with a much lower budget.

However, The Wachowskis made one of the highest grossing franchises of all time and followed it up by producing a pretty successful movie in the form of V For Vendetta. They could've asked for a 200 million dollar budget to film paint drying on a wall and Warners would've had to green light it. The Wachowskis built up that kind of credibility through The Matrix trilogy (of course, now they've blown it and will have to make a safe movie next). But yeah, considering their track record, a 100 million dollar budget for a huge effects/action kids movie isn't really that bad.

Honestly, I'm suprised they didn't try to make a Plastic Man movie. They have tried to sell Plastic Man scripts in the past and worked really hard to get it made prior to The Matrix. Oh man, could you imagine how far back that would set super hero movies at Warners? The Wachowskis using their Matrix clout to force production of Plastic Man which turned into a big budget bomb.
It isn't WB's fault? I disagree on that note. It is just as much WB's fault as Superman Returns was for those who think that Returns "failed" at the BO.

Also, the budget for Speed Racer was not 100 million, it was 140 million or over, some reports are saying 185 million.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #511
dark_b
Side-Kick

really? i thought it was 100 milions. if its more hten 100 milions then its their fault. this movie looks fake(i know that its their style). so the rendering was not very complicated and long.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #512
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
really? i thought it was 100 milions. if its more hten 100 milions then its their fault. this movie looks fake(i know that its their style). so the rendering was not very complicated and long.
fake, cartoonist like the cat in the hat. it's crazy to believe that it will make great BO.

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #513
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

It's 100% WB's fault.
The WB should stop greenliting stupid movies like SpeedRacer.
How some one can think that SpeedRacer has a chance to success: it is/was a crappy idea.
If I were a WB exec I would greenlit at least two sh movies per year, I could have the possibility to develop all the main franchises (Batman and Superman included).

Nevertheless for all the SR haters, SpeedRacer is a good example of real bomb.
Even if SR disappointed, it was largely profitable.

I've found this in TheNumbers site:

Superman Returns

Production Budget $204,000,000
Ad Budget (Nielsen): $41,000,000

Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $200,120,000
International Gross $191,000,000
Worldwide Gross $391,120,000

US DVD Sales: $82,247,506

Cable TV Rights (FX): 12% of domestic gross, capped between $17m and $25m

US Video Game Sales 2006: <400,000

Merchandising Revenue: "...more than $60 million" (THR, 11/2/2007, p. P-7)

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2006/SPRMN.php
----

Considering that in the DVD sales aren't included the numbers made by the Superman Box Collection and the overseas revenues, we can easily say that SR was a commercial success.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #514
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
It's 100% WB's fault.
The WB should stop greenliting stupid movies like SpeedRacer.
How some one can think that SpeedRacer has a chance to success: it is/was a crappy idea.
If I were a WB exec I would greenlit at least two sh movies per year, I could have the possibility to develop all the main franchises (Batman and Superman included).

Superman Returns

Theatrical Performance

----

Considering that in the DVD sales aren't included the numbers made by the Superman Box Collection and the overseas revenues, we can easily say that SR was a commercial success.
what for if SR is a commercial success but we can't get the sequel??? it's still dead water kinda silience

Old 05-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #515
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I wouldn't place any bets on that chief.

It isn't WB's fault? I disagree on that note. It is just as much WB's fault as Superman Returns was for those who think that Returns "failed" at the BO.

Also, the budget for Speed Racer was not 100 million, it was 140 million or over, some reports are saying 185 million.
I am simply saying, The Wachowskis have built up clout in Warners and had Joel Silver on their side. It is understandable why Warners would green light it.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #516
Showtime
Your Friend In Time

Oh...I understand why they would give The Wachowskis more sway than other directors, no doubt about it and I am with you on that. However, it isn't understandable why WB keeps giving these huge production budgets to movies like Superman Returns, Lady in the Water, Poseidon, and now Speed Racer. Whomever is doing these projections needs to be fired on the spot.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #517
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbaby View Post
what for if SR is a commercial success but we can't get the sequel??? it's still dead water kinda silience
Because at WB they expected a franchise able to do $500-600m ww, infact they tried to make a sort of "Harry Potter with superheroes" with the crappy JLA movie. They aren't able to use their franchises and to plan a serious schedule for the release dates.
After the mature SR with all the stories about the lack of action, they thought they need something different, something "kids friendly", so they greenlited Speed Racer.
Popular Cartoon+Wachowski bros+a ton of cgi+a lot of action= summer blockbuster.
Unfortunately for them it isn't so simple and now they have a flop, while a SR sequel would have been more successful.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #518
stargazer
wanderer

Quote:

Superman Returns

Theatrical Performance

----

And the $82 mil (US dvd sales) total was only for the first 6-8 weeks or so. No doubt that by now the total is over $100 mil in the US alone.

Also remember that SR made almost $60 mil on rentals on its first weeks.

And the Superman Ultimate Collection was sold out.

I think that one of reasons the sequel hasn't been greenlit is in part because Bryan has been very busy making Valkyrie, and also because they have been working on the story to try to get it as great as possible. Could be.

Last edited by stargazer; 05-11-2008 at 01:51 PM.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #519
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

'Iron Man' proves box office mettle
'Speed Racer' stalls in summer race
By BEN FRITZ

“Speed Racer” sputtered through its first lap at the box office, as Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow’s $100 million-plus tentpole bowed to a very weak $20.2 million.

Studio estimate puts the pic just barely ahead of Fox’s “What Happens in Vegas.” Modestly budgeted comedy opened a bit ahead of expectations, grossing $20 million at 3,215 theaters for a per play average of $6,221.

Marvel and Paramount’s “Iron Man” kept soaring on its second frame, dropping just 49% to $50.5 million. Relatively strong dropoff after a huge $99 million bow puts the superhero pic at a domestic cume of $177.1 million. Average this weekend was $12,284 at 4,111 locations.

“Speed Racer” got just $5,605 on average from its 3,606 racetracks. Final gross was well below already soft industry estimates for what Warners had hoped would be a summer blockbuster. Pic ended up playing primarily to families with young kids.

Photo finish between it and “Vegas” means the industry will have to wait for final numbers on Monday to see which ended up in no. 2

Sony Pictures Classics took David Mamet’s actioner “Redbelt” wide to 1,379 plays on its second weekend and managed only $1.1 million, or $827 per location.

In limited release, “Son of Rambow” expanded from five to 36 theaters and grossed $137,971, a modest $3,833 per playdate. Cume is $210,974. Par Vantage plans to expand the pic to between 75 and 90 locations on Friday.

ThinkFilm expanded romantic comedy “Then She Found Me” from 72 to 153 theaters for Mother’s Day and grossed $489,072, or $3,197 per play. Cume on the Helen Hunt starrer is $912,086.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

-------

Sorry WB, but I'm glad that a sh movie has destroyed your last wrong project.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #520
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
And the $82 mil (US dvd sales) total was only for the first 6-8 weeks or so. No doubt that by now the total is over $100 mil in the US alone.

Also remember that SR made almost $60 mil on rentals on its first weeks.

And the Superman Ultimate Collection was sold out.

I think that one of reasons the sequel hasn't been greenlit is in part because Bryan has been very busy making Valkyrie, and also because they have been working on the story to try to get it as great as possible. Could be.
Well to realistically have MOS greenlit for a 2009 release they would have had to start working on it since 2007. Huge movies like these need a lot of pre-production time. Kind of like Raimi had to start working on Spidey 2 in late 2002 (I believe) to get the movie released in 2004. Obviously Singer has been busy with Valkyrie and still is I think. Apparently he's just recently started meeting with writers for MOS. Singer is signed for the sequel anyway, so if it is to happen for 2010, we should get some kind of announcement in the coming months, probably around TDK's release.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #521
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

SpeedRacers bombing doesn't change the fact that Superman Returns disappointed. I've never given credence to people who say it was the biggest bomb ever but it was one of the biggest disappointments ever IMHO. Does that mean that WB didn't make money off of it? ofcourse not! They wouldn't be disscussing a sequel if they didn't. But if it was as successful as some people are pretending they would have fast tracked a sequel the way Spider-Man got one and Iron Man is getting one. Hell Batman Begins sequel wasn't exactly fasttracked but everybody knew it did well enough for them to diffenetly know that they were making one. WB still hasn't officially said a word about an SR sequel and that speaks volumes. I believe a sequel has a good chance of being made but after all of these failures and disappointments WB have had, I don't think that there is any guarantee that Singer will direct it or that even if he does that their foot won't be so far up his ass that we will bearly recognize that it's a sequel.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #522
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

It's the WB's budgeting that's the problem. I would have greenlit SR but not at200 million without a supervillain. Flash, GL, and WW should not go over 100 to 130. Don't be Fox studios cheap with a 75 million dollar budget but these characters need to build a fanbase with a general audience.

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #523
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
It's the WB's budgeting that's the problem. I would have greenlit SR but not at200 million without a supervillain. Flash, GL, and WW should not go over 100 to 130. Don't be Fox studios cheap with a 75 million dollar budget but these characters need to build a fanbase with a general audience.
exactly!

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #524
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Oh...I understand why they would give The Wachowskis more sway than other directors, no doubt about it and I am with you on that. However, it isn't understandable why WB keeps giving these huge production budgets to movies like Superman Returns, Lady in the Water, Poseidon, and now Speed Racer. Whomever is doing these projections needs to be fired on the spot.
wow, showtime, you have just lumped SR into the disastrous movies of the year catagory.

i think sub-consciously, you don't like SR much.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #525
bgshw44
Side-Kick

i think its more along the lines that these movies didnt need such ridiculous budgets

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote