The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Default Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Okay, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated just to discussing who we think the best Spidey artist is/has been or who would be a great regular spidey artist. That, and have a place just to post Spidey art to.

So have it at everyone!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this. Lately some people have said they're fans of Marcos Martin's art for ASM, and I find it very very disappointing for what should be Marvel's flagship character.

So, to illustrate my point as to why I don't like his art, I thought I'd post a few pics. One, is Martin's Spidey art. The other, is Spidey art from 1963. Does no one else see a problem with this?!

Art quality in comics has come so so far, but other than a few panels of exceptions each issue, his art looks like a major throwback (not in a good way) to art from decades ago!

Anyone else care to share your thoughts on this?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

I like the "throwback" quality of his artwork. It's very good and it works for the character (and the medium).

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

To further illustrate what I mean, compare his art to some other Spider-Man artists. Sure, they're top-tier artists, but isn't that what Spider-Man deserves?

Deodato

or Dodson

Or, best yet imo, McNiven!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

I don't like Deodato's art at all. No particular reason, it just doesn't appeal to me. McNiven is 50/50, and I enjoy Dodson's art.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Deodato and Dodson kind of suck

Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Personally I love Deodato's work. Dodson is okay.

I kind of agree on Martin's work. It's not catastrophic, but I don't particularly care for it.

I know I'm alone in the coming bit, but I can't stand JRJr's work, especially for Spider-Man. The blocky everyone's faces look alike style kills me a bit inside every time I see it.

There's plenty of artists I feel work well for other titles, but not for ASM. For example, Alex Maleev is fantastic for Daredevil, but I'd hate him for ASM.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

I kind of agree on Martin's work. It's not catastrophic, but I don't particularly care for it.

I know I'm alone in the coming bit, but I can't stand JRJr's work, especially for Spider-Man. The blocky everyone's faces look alike style kills me a bit inside every time I see it.

There's plenty of artists I feel work well for other titles, but not for ASM. For example, Alex Maleev is fantastic for Daredevil, but I'd hate him for ASM.
You, sir, are my newest best friend.

Allow me to re-phrase: Will you marry me?

It sounds like we've got the same tastes, though mine a little more extreme than yours since I don't JrJr on anything and I like Dodson's art a lot.

Last edited by random_havoc; 01-29-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: edit
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

I like Romita Jr.'s work.

Basically, in my opinion, the less detailed and more stylized the artwork, the better it is.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
NickerNacker
Side-Kick

I think Martin's art is great.

And this page illustrates how good of a story teller Martin is and its a page with Aunt May on it.

And really, to say, "but other than a few panels of exceptions [in] each issue" can be said of any artist including Deodato (who's art I think is O.K.), Dodson (who's art I did not care for) and McNiven (who I think is great).

NickerNacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Drz
Real Hero

John Romita Jr.

"Social critics don’t mean a thing to me. It’s really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what I’m doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickerNacker View Post
I think Martin's art is great.

And this page illustrates how good of a story teller Martin is and its a page with Aunt May on it.

And really, to say, "but other than a few panels of exceptions [in] each issue" can be said of any artist including Deodato (who's art I think is O.K.), Dodson (who's art I did not care for) and McNiven (who I think is great).
I disagree. There are many artists out there who I think are great and whose art I love on virtually every panel. But Martin's art is boring pretty much all the way through (imo), with the exception of a couple panels per issue on average.

As for the Aunt May page, i find that page pretty boring too. Even the layout is boring: A bunch of identical squares? Really?

Last edited by random_havoc; 01-29-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: edit
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
NickerNacker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
I disagree. There are many artists out there who I think are great and whose art I love on virtually every panel. But Martin's art is boring pretty much all the way through (imo), with the exception of a couple panels per issue on average.

But that's just it, I can say the same thing you just said but with Dodson instead.

Quote:
As for the Aunt May page, i find that page pretty boring too. Even the layout is boring: A bunch of identical squares? Really?

Yeah every square is the same size but not one panel of art is identical to the other. For me when I read/look at every panel on that page and then step back and look at the page as a whole I think it was brilliant of Martin to tell that part of the story that way.

NickerNacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I like Romita Jr.'s work.

Basically, in my opinion, the less detailed and more stylized the artwork, the better it is.
JRJR is my favorite I'm glad they give hm the big projects on ASM these days. Also, I dig Bachalo's work, really looking forward to the Lizard story arc coming soon.

Deodato should stick to covers or something. His storytelling ability is okay and way too focused on trying to look super-realistic. But then all his action scenes come off as rushed. I'm very glad he is off ASM.

Dodson is better, but not that great. The best issue in Mark Millar's run, artwise, was the one that Frank Cho filled in for.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:

You know that pretty much all of Watchmen has identical sized panels, right? But actually, you're right, Dave Gibbons is a hack

That page right there is one of the reasons I think Martin's great, he has a unique way of telling a story, I think that's an awesome way of showing multiple things going on at the same time (in terms of how Aunt May is trying to take it all in). It reminds me of Frank Quitely's use of panels in We3.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

I would Maleev to take a shot at ASM!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Spider-Gnome
Walloping Web-Snappers!

Quote:
I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this. Lately some people have said they're fans of Marcos Martin's art for ASM, and I find it very very disappointing for what should be Marvel's flagship character.

So, to illustrate my point as to why I don't like his art, I thought I'd post a few pics. One, is Martin's Spidey art. The other, is Spidey art from 1963. Does no one else see a problem with this?!

Art quality in comics has come so so far, but other than a few panels of exceptions each issue, his art looks like a major throwback (not in a good way) to art from decades ago!

Anyone else care to share your thoughts on this?
You know art is subjective right?

For example, Marcos Martin's art has grown on me because it has a Ditko-type vibe. Deodato is good on some titles, but I don't care for his Spider-Man. With me, it's how the artist handles Spidey's eyes.

Anyway, shouldn't this be on the Spidey Boards?

Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
You know that pretty much all of Watchmen has identical sized panels, right? But actually, you're right, Dave Gibbons is a hack
Oh c'mon! You honestly don't think comic art should have improved in the last 20+ YEARS! Yeah, he was good for his time, but if that art came out today darn right I'd say it's boring, and I don't want to see it.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
I would Maleev to take a shot at ASM!
Yeah, those panels are really amazing! I wouldn't have pictured him on that title, but I think he could really do something amazing with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh c'mon! You honestly don't think comic art should have improved in the last 20+ YEARS! Yeah, he was good for his time, but if that art came out today darn right I'd say it's boring, and I don't want to see it.
No, art hasn't improved, it's just changes and become more stylized. Sorry, but I don't think looking more realistic is necessarily an improvement on anything. Many of the storytelling techniques used 20 years ago are still in use today and still quite effective.

Im sorry you think Steve Ditko's art is inferior to Mike Deodato, but I appreciate that Martin's art is reminiscent of his style.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
No, art hasn't improved, it's just changes and become more stylized. Sorry, but I don't think looking more realistic is necessarily an improvement on anything. Many of the storytelling techniques used 20 years ago are still in use today and still quite effective.

Im sorry you think Steve Ditko's art is inferior to Mike Deodato, but I appreciate that Martin's art is reminiscent of his style.
I agree with fibber 100%...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #23
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I agree with fibber 100%...

Let's rub buttholes

Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

I thought Javier Pulido was incredible in the recent Sandman arc.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

double

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote