Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #101
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Jay420 View Post
I think it's the 90's.

I gotta go with John Romita as quintessential Spider-Man Artist

When you hear the words "Spider-Man" how many of you have this image pop up in your head?
Good for his time. But even look at the shading style used, just doesn't stack up to today.

Sounds like a lot of people are saying that they're quintessential spidey artist is from their early years of reading Spidey. Of those here who don't fit that description, who are your favorite artists?
Of the preferred artists that I've mentioned none come from the eighties, which is when I started collecting Spidey originally.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #102
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Garney is my favorite Spider-Man artist.

Hey, can we all agree that Garney is an awesome Spidey artist? Is it, perhaps, possible, that we have unanimous agreement on something?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #103
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't know about anyone else but I sure as hell love Garney. He's awesome at everything, but his Spider-Man in particular was great.

TheCorpulent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #104
Dan_Slott
Side-Kick

Th Eek Re: Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
No, I think (Ross Andru and Gil Kane) were very good for their time.

I also think top level comic art has progressed/improved since then.

Whaaaaaa?????!!!

You must stop now.
STOP!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #105
Spider-Jay420
Welcome Back Peter Parker

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #106
Spider-Jay420

Stop? Random doesn't stop, Dan. You know this.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #107
Spider-Jay420

one of my favorites.

which according to spiderfan.org is by Ron Frenz. nov 1984

Last edited by Spider-Jay420; 02-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Spider-Jay420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #108
Spider-Jay420

Not Spider-Man, but Ron Garney is awesome!!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #109
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Garney really did have a nice run on Spidey. However, I used to hate his art back when he was working on Austen's Uncanny X-Men. I just thought it was crappy as can be.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #110
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Anyone's art will look ****** when they're doing art for Chuck Austen.

fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #111
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Jay420 View Post
Stop? Random doesn't stop, Dan. You know this.
Aww, Spider-Jay, you know me too well

Dan, are you saying that comic art peaked in the 60's and can never be surpassed? The goal of most people striving in something they're passionate about is to take what the greats before them have done, and then surpass that. All I'm saying is that, yes those past greats are deserving of the highest respect in their field, but also, yes, those who have come after have strived for, and some have succeeded, in surpassing those past greats.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #112
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post

Whaaaaaa?????!!!

You must stop now.
STOP!
It's not like he's degrading them or anything. I can't say one way or the other though... I'm not sure what art is theirs. And I've never even heard of Ross Andru, though I may know his stuff if I knew what issues they were.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #113
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Aww, Spider-Jay, you know me too well

Dan, are you saying that comic art peaked in the 60's and can never be surpassed? The goal of most people striving in something they're passionate about is to take what the greats before them have done, and then surpass that. All I'm saying is that, yes those past greats are deserving of the highest respect in their field, but also, yes, those who have come after have strived for, and some have succeeded, in surpassing those past greats.
Apples and oranges. Art is not a science where each generation builds on what the last has learned and moves beyond it. Artists have been able to do pretty much everything comic artists are doing now for centuries in one form or another. The Mona Lisa isn't somehow inferior to a Georgia O'Keefe painting simply because it's older. The only exception is if you go back to the absolute earliest art, and even then it's only because the available tools weren't as effective at giving shape or form to the artist's vision as later artists' tools became. But the tools to realize whatever an artist can dream up have been available for longer than comics themselves have existed, so that's not an issue with them (unless you get into cost-effectiveness with coloring, but that's a much narrower subject than what your comment implied).

Comic art is and always will be about telling a story, and the toolbox for effectively doing that remains the same; only influences and styles shift with new generations. You may have a preference for more modern styles of comic art, but the quality of comic art as a whole hasn't magically risen over time.

Last edited by TheCorpulent1; 02-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #114
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Though I just thought of another that I loved... good ol' Sal Buscema!
I really liked Sal's work on Spectacular. Yeah, that's another great one.

And yeah, like Garney was another good one, even if he had a pretty short run. He was definitely a step up from Deodato (for me). But I wouldn't say best. Ron Frenz I liked too.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #115
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Art is not a science where each generation builds on what the last has learned and moves beyond it. Artists have been able to do pretty much everything comic artists are doing now for centuries in one form or another. The Mona Lisa isn't somehow inferior to a Georgia O'Keefe painting simply because it's older. The only exception is if you go back to the absolute earliest art, and even then it's only because the available tools weren't as effective at giving shape or form to the artist's vision as later artists' tools became. But the tools to realize whatever an artist can dream up have been available for longer than comics themselves have existed, so that's not an issue with them (unless you get into cost-effectiveness with coloring, but that's a much narrower subject than what your comment implied).

Comic art is and always will be about telling a story, and the toolbox for effectively doing that remains the same; only influences and styles shift with new generations. You may have a preference for more modern styles of comic art, but the quality of comic art as a whole hasn't magically risen over time.
I wanna have your babies (aka "Exactly.")

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #116
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not like he's degrading them or anything. I can't say one way or the other though... I'm not sure what art is theirs. And I've never even heard of Ross Andru, though I may know his stuff if I knew what issues they were.
Ross Andru created the Punisher and illustrated the original clone saga. He had a pretty long run in the 70's. Themanofbat was around 35 at this time.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #117
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
I wanna have your babies (aka "Exactly.")
Hawt. But just so you know, the devil's got dibs on my first-born.

Last edited by TheCorpulent1; 02-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #118
CantThinkOfAName
Side-Kick

That's okay, we're gonna be shooting them out like candy.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #119
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Thank you Jewhob. I'm certainly not slamming them as Dan seems to think. As a matter of fact I owned a number of Ross Andru drawn spidey issues in my youth.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #120
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:

You're oversimplifying my friend. Yes, art has existed for a long time and has not necessarily gotten better, but comic art is a very particular type of art and it has not been around all that long (relatively speaking of course). Uhh, you know what, I could go on but I'm tiring of debating this aspect. Maybe I'll post more later.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #121
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

One of the problems with comparisons of comic art is a lot of people confuse improved printing quality and digital coloring with artistic ability.

fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #122
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Quote:
What exactly is there to like about Finch again? 'Cause all I see when I look at his art are squashed faces that look constipated, annoyingly bulging muscles, and a disturbingly off understanding of human anatomy.

The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #123
TheCorpulent1
SHAZAM!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthfiend View Post
One of the problems with comparisons of comic art is a lot of people confuse improved printing quality and digital coloring with artistic ability.
I agree, and that's what I meant about the cost-effectiveness of coloring. Back in the day, they didn't have the technology to mass-produce high-quality colors for anything less than exorbitant costs, so we got the simplified, 4-color palette we know and love. Over time, there was a push to move beyond that, but the only way anyone did so was by having painters paint comics and, again, people have been painting for a long, long time. Now we've got digital coloring techniques, which effectively break down to painting via a computer and tablet--new medium, same techniques. So even in that respect, comic art hasn't really evolved so much as shifted from, say, the early '90s or so.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #124
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Finch sucks. F him and his Matt Murdock/Scott Summers hybrid.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #125
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
What exactly is there to like about Finch again? 'Cause all I see when I look at his art are squashed faces that look constipated, annoyingly bulging muscles, and a disturbingly off understanding of human anatomy.
I don't see any of those things, at least in that pic. The faces aren't even visible under the masks, the muscles look fine for superheroes, and the anatomy looks fine, with the only possible problem being Spidey's wrist, but Spidey is supposed to have superhuman flexibility so that's also reasonable I'd say.