The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Rate Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice
10 9 9.89%
9 18 19.78%
8 19 20.88%
7 9 9.89%
6 11 12.09%
5 9 9.89%
4 6 6.59%
3 3 3.30%
2 3 3.30%
1 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
The Shape
In the shadows

Default Re: Batman v Superman - Reviews Thread [TAG SPOILERS] - Part 3

Personally, I doubt Mel even saw it.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #27
Assassin32
Or: Rōnin Iscariot

Say what you will about Mel Gibson's character, but he's a proven raconteur. Apocalypto has a legitimate claim to the title of best action film of this century. So of course he thinks Batman v Superman is a piece of ****. This is a man who actually knows a thing or two about story structure and causal sequencing.

Assassin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #28
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Personally, I doubt Mel even saw it.
Yeah I find it hard to believe when a man who hates superhero movies sits down and watches them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
Say what you will about Mel Gibson's character, but he's a proven raconteur. Apocalypto has a legitimate claim to the title of best action film of this century. So of course he thinks Batman v Superman is a piece of ****. This is a man who actually knows a thing or two about story structure and causal sequencing.
Yeah, as if those are the only two things that make a movie entertaining.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #29
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleiek View Post
Yeah I find it hard to believe when a man who hates superhero movies sits down and watches them.
He doesn't hate them;

'When asked about his opinions on superhero movies in general, Mel Gibson had this to say.

"Some are good. Some are kind of funny ... Guardians of the Galaxy. Or the first Iron Man. And some of them are just like retreats."'

http://movieweb.com/mel-gibson-marve...thor-dad-odin/

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #30
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Or perhaps he is just jealous the superhero genre is more promising and profitable than the flicks he produces.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #31
Assassin32

Quote:
Or perhaps he is just jealous the superhero genre is more promising and profitable than the flicks he produces.
You must be unaware of how much money he made for The Passion of the Christ. He's not jealous.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #32
Assassin32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
He doesn't hate them;

'When asked about his opinions on superhero movies in general, Mel Gibson had this to say.

"Some are good. Some are kind of funny ... Guardians of the Galaxy. Or the first Iron Man. And some of them are just like retreats."'

http://movieweb.com/mel-gibson-marve...thor-dad-odin/
I did not know about RDJ calling for Gibson to helm the next Iron Man movie. That could turn out brilliantly if it ever comes to pass.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #33
obredaan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Or perhaps he just didn't like the movie. Someone asked his opinion and he gave it. Just cause you don't like his opinion doesn't mean he's jealous.

obredaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #34
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by obredaan View Post
Or perhaps he just didn't like the movie. Someone asked his opinion and he gave it. Just cause you don't like his opinion doesn't mean he's jealous.
Maybe you didn't read the interview article? He doesn't seem too happy with the superhero genre in general. He is not happy with the production budget these movies get. I couldn't care less if he hates one movie.

Quote:
You must be unaware of how much money he made for The Passion of the Christ. He's not jealous.
And how often movies of that kind make that money? And when was the last time he made a movie? Whatever the case, I don't know, he sounds jealous when he starts talking about production budgets for CBMs.

Last edited by Sleiek; 09-14-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Sleiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #35
Assassin32

Quote:
And how often movies of that kind make that money? And when was the last time he made a movie? Whatever the case, I don't know, he sounds jealous when he starts talking about production budgets for CBMs.
I'm confident that Mel Gibson has checks from The Passion of the Christ that he hasn't even opened yet. I'd bet he's still spending all that Braveheart money. And he probably still has some cash left over from the Lethal Weapon franchise; you know they made four of those.

So your assertion that he's jealous of comic-book movie money/budgets is ridiculous. It's a lame jab you're throwing at him because he just so happens to dislike an awful movie that you inexplicably love.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #36
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Hmm, thing is you don't know me or how I think. I am taking a jab at him for talking about CBM production budget.

"dislike an awful movie" haha. Good one. I could say you support him because you feel the same way as him but I don't want to go there. He's racist, his opinions are nothing to me. I said he could be jealous and unless you know the guy personally, neither of us know how he truly feels.

Last edited by Sleiek; 09-14-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #37
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Too much logic here.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #38
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Key term. "Perhaps"

Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #39
Assassin32

Quote:
Hmm, thing is you don't know me or how I think. I am taking a jab at him for talking about CBM production budget.

"dislike an awful movie" haha. Good one. I could say you support him because you feel the same way as him but I don't want to go there. He's racist, his opinions are nothing to me. I said he could be jealous and unless you know the guy personally, neither of us know how he truly feels.
Go there. Go ahead and go there. Because I suspect there's absolutely nowhere you can go with that. I've already established that I respect his opinion on Batman v Superman based on his merits as a filmmaker, namely his impressive oeuvre. So, please, elaborate.

If you want to continue to assert that he's jealous, then offer evidence to support your assertion. I've certainly offered evidence that shows how your claim is total ********. But now you're bending over and saying neither of us can really know how he feels because we don 't know him personally? If that's all you've got, then you've tacitly conceded the point.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #40
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Again, I didn't say that he IS Jealous. Should I quote that post here?

I pointed to the possibility that he could be, hence why I used the word "perhaps". I am not stating it as a fact because you can't find evidence until you know the guy.

Am I the only one here who read his comments about CBM production budget here?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #41
Assassin32

Quote:
Again, I didn't say that he IS Jealous. Should I quote that post here?

I pointed to the possibility that he could be, hence why I used the word "perhaps".
Odd that you chose to enter an argument with me when I challenged what you said, then.

I'll accept this post as your concession.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #42
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Odd that you chose to enter an argument with me when I challenged what you said, then.

I'll accept this post as your concession.
I chose to reply because you assumed I called him that because he hated a film I "inexplicably love", when I wrote in my first reply it was due to his comments on the production budget. You automatically assumed that because I am on the other side. That's my last say on this matter since this is a review thread.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #43
Assassin32

Quote:
I chose to reply because you assumed I called him that because he hated a film I "inexplicably love", when I wrote in my first reply it was due to his comments on the production budget. You automatically assumed that because I am on the other side. That's my last say on this matter since this is a review thread.
This is your first reply, and it makes no mention of budget:

Quote:
I had to make sure I preserved that for posterity since you've been going back and editing many of your posts on this page. But since you now want to pretend that you've been talking about his thoughts on budget this whole time, go ahead.

Mel Gibson says spending $250 million on a movie is wasteful and unnecessary. So what?

Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #44
Sleiek
Side-Kick

I thought we were talking about argument between you and me.

This is my first reply to you.

Quote:
And yeah, I go to edit my post if I have more to add. It's not like I go back to edit my posts after you reply. Who said anything about pretending? Again, you are just arguing with me because I am on the other side. I have been talking about the production budget the whole time. Profitability and demand is part of it. That's how you come to a production budget.

Last edited by Sleiek; 09-14-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #45
obredaan
Side-Kick

Quote:

Doesn't seem like his opinion means nothing to you. If it meant nothing to you than why respond to it? Why make assumptions that he never saw the film or is perhaps 'jealous'?

Quote:
"dislike an awful movie" haha. Good one. I could say you support him because you feel the same way as him but I don't want to go there.
...and you just went there.

obredaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #46
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Doesn't seem like his opinion means nothing to you. If it meant nothing to you than why respond to it? Why make assumptions that he never saw the film or is perhaps 'jealous'?
I don't get this motion of if somethings means little to nothing to you you can't respond. People like yo say there piece and by saying that something means nothing to them they often mean that what they say doesn't make a dent on what they think.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #47
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Yeah, just like many people who come to a thread about a movie they wouldn't bother or care for and then talk about how I shouldn't respond if I don't care for his opinion. Is this double standards?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #48
Fincher
Too far gone

It wasn't very good.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm not a fan of Affleck's Batman. He's not what I would want from a Batman movie, but just in terms of this film, I don't like the suit, Affleck doesn't look good in the cowl, and...well, he's basically a second villain for most of the movie. His goal in the movie is to commit murder, and he has an unpleasant personality, and him turning around at the end isn't enough for me to want to cheer for him. Which wouldn't matter so much if BvS was focused more on Superman as a protagonist/hero, but while the movie revolves around people's feelings about Superman, Clark himself isn't developed as much as he really could be.

Which leads me to something I've been thinking about. Clark/Superman caring about the people close to him was never in dispute. Bruce had a nightmare about Superman becoming evil because Lois died, Lex wanted to prove that he wasn't a savior because he would put his loved ones first, and the public didn't know or concern themselves with his friends and family. I don't remember a newspaper tagline like "What if Superman doesn't love his mom?"

Putting aside expectations someone might have about what a Superman movie should be...given that the conflict revolves around his devotion to the well being of people outside of Lois and Martha, it's counterproductive that his major emotional beats near or at the end were focused on how much he cared about Lois and Martha. His daydream of his father was about depending on Lois, Bruce decided not to kill him because his love for his mother called to mind Bruce's father's love for Bruce's mother, and before he died killing Doomsday he told Lois that she was his world. What the ending needed was a big moment where he sacrificed himself without it having anything to do with Lois or Martha, to emphasize that he cared about people in general.

I didn't really mind that Lex was an erratic dou****ag, but he just laid it on too thick as often as not. The "ding ding ding" thing was like a Saturday Night Live skit. Wonder Woman was cool, as was her theme song. More than anything, BvS made me want to see Wonder Woman. I'm cool with Lois and Alfred, too, and Fishburne continues to play a good Perry White, and I liked Senator Finch and Mercy Graves while they lasted, for that matter.

Most of my character complaints would be directed at Bruce and Lex and to a lesser extent Clark. I didn't have a problem with him in Man of Steel, but Cavill was sometimes wooden in this. It's not really the best sign when I'm watching a movie about Batman and Superman and Lex Luthor and I find myself more interested in this senator or that henchman, and hey, what was the deal with the horse? There was a random horse during the Kryptonian attack, and then there was a cop on a horse during the hearing explosion. Is Bad Horse the secret mastermind of the last two films? Because that would actually be pretty cool.

The movie had good action in it and special effects and a Batwing and Batmobile and all that, so yeah, that's all well and good. On the other hand, it was heavyhanded at times. It's a hard movie to give an overall assessment of because it's long and there's a lot of different stuff going on, and some works and some doesn't. Perry and Clark arguing over journalistic integrity, good. Bruce's Manbat nightmare, not so much. Overall...eh.

Last edited by Fincher; 09-16-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #49
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Hmm, thing is you don't know me or how I think.
"YOU DON'T KNOW ME OR HOW I THINK!!!!.......Now back to me saying how a man I don't know thinks and what his motivations behind his comments are."

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #50
Sleiek
Side-Kick

Wow. Good job bumping a conversation from September.

Damn. I forgot about this thread.