The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #51
Spidey_62
I am the edge

Default Re: Spawn Reboot is coming our way

Todd said in an interview with Collider that Twitch is the main character and Spawn is 2nd. Compared it to Jaws with Spawn being like the shark and Twitch being the Sheriff Brody. Said he wants to be ready to film by January.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #52
terry78
I don't die, fool

I'll just be frank, any dark skinned black dude in his 30s would suffice of they're just making spawn like this.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #53
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Nah, from the sounds of it...get Tony Todd.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #54
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
BTW, I would actually want this movie to be ABOUT Spawn. I remember McFarlane saying something a while back that he'd make a movie where Spawn was just a boogie man and it would instead focus on Sam and Twitch for the majority of the film... f*** that. Even with Black Panther coming, there's still a dearth of black superheroes on film, and I have no interest in a Spawn movie that sidelines its main character.
I actually think it's a good idea right now, there will -more than likely- be budget restraints, and unless they get someone good with limited budget like Tim Miller, effects will look ugly.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #55
zlucamanz
Side-Kick

i cant wait to see this become real not just an announce.

i belived this film will not be spawn al's pov if todd insist to do horror movie.

zlucamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #56
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
If this thing actually does happen, who would you guys cast as Spawn?

BTW, I would actually want this movie to be ABOUT Spawn. I remember McFarlane saying something a while back that he'd make a movie where Spawn was just a boogie man and it would instead focus on Sam and Twitch for the majority of the film... f*** that. Even with Black Panther coming, there's still a dearth of black superheroes on film, and I have no interest in a Spawn movie that sidelines its main character.

Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out) might be good, though he has a role in Black Panther so that might exclude him. Jacob Anderson (Game of Thrones) might be decent too, though he'd have to pack on some muscle. I also like Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight), though I'm holding out hope that he gets cast as John Stewart.
I think you missed the point of Spawn as a whole. The character was never a superhero. Spawn was a horror comic masquerading as a superhero book. He has more in common with Michael Myers than he does Superman. Based on that,I think Todd's approach is spot on with this project.

Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #57
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

No, no. He was the epitome of "90's EXXXXXTREEEEME!!!!!!!" superheroes.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #58
terry78
I don't die, fool

He was a hero, but he was also kind of a dick. He wasn't a nice person when he was alive, that was just memories that got displaced.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #59
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
No, no. He was the epitome of "90's EXXXXXTREEEEME!!!!!!!" superheroes.

He became that, yes, but those first 20 or so issues are very much a horror story which I would guess is what's beings adapted. If this thing makes money, then the big dumb EXTREME sequel comes along.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #60
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
He became that, yes, but those first 20 or so issues are very much a horror story which I would guess is what's beings adapted. If this thing makes money, then the big dumb EXTREME sequel comes along.
This is the same studio behind the Purge series, but I doubt they'd shell out to do the EXTREME sequel whilst also maintaining the look of characters.

Reed________Goyer

Last edited by 2kt09; 07-25-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #61
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

They're not a studio but a production company. But Blumhosue do have a production and distribution deal with Universal.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #62
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

someone mentioned it...Jamie Foxx.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #63
Kaminszakr

If this is the same plot he teased some time ago no thanks.

Kaminszakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #64
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

I don't want Jamie Foxx anywhere near this film. Hell no. I'd hate to say Idris Elba for everything, but he's just damn good. Especially his work as Shere Khan. If not him, then cast an unknown.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight

Last edited by Mindreaper21; 07-29-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:29 AM   #65
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Im actually really looking forward to seeing how first time director McFarlane will go making this even if its a disaster. This is something that has been in the works forever so its a bit bizarre to think its actually happening.

I was a fan of the film and the toys as a kid but never really got into the comics so i dont really have great knowledge of the world of Spawn but McFarlanes idea does seem like an interesting approach.

Its a neat concept in it self that there is a "ghost" monster type thing that is going around killing the bad guys and having detectives try figure out whats going on.

They could really play up the horror movie type elements but with the reversal idea that the monster is working for the good guys in a sense.

Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #66
terry78
I don't die, fool

I think it may be done in a horror movie style as you said where Sam and Twitch are trying to piece together the mystery of who Spawn really was and currently is. Then when they finally determine the mystery they get kinda sucked into dealing with the demons and what not that he's trying to actually fight.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #67
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

If you want to know what we're going to get, watch the first few episodes of HBO series.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #68
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
I think you missed the point of Spawn as a whole. The character was never a superhero. Spawn was a horror comic masquerading as a superhero book. He has more in common with Michael Myers than he does Superman. Based on that,I think Todd's approach is spot on with this project.
As others have said, he was a superhero in the 1990s "grim and gritty" variety. Yeah, there are plenty of horror elements and all that but at the end of the day, he's still a guy in tights, a cape and a Venom/Deadpool mask who fights demons and cyborgs and beat the crap out of Batman in two different stories.

Now, I haven't read all that much Spawn but in the stories I did, he was very central to the story. And just because the 1990s movie sucked doesn't mean that making him the main character in a film can't work. It's the same straw man argument people always use about Green Lantern - that Hal Jordan or the GL concept as a whole can't work on film because the previous effort was bad. I would argue that bad writing, acting, direction and special effects are the reasons why those movies failed.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #69
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
I read the first 18 issues, and Spawn vs Violator until the intervention of Malbogea is straight up superhero comedy material.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #70
Symbiotic
Side-Kick

Original film came out 20 years ago today. I still love it.

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #71
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you got things in reverse. When Spwan first started it was pretty much your standard 90's style bad-assery. OTT visuals, violence etc. Even had a hack and slash game (That I owned on the dreamcast ) I would say as the book progressed it descended more into horror.

The latest issue felt straight up like the conjuring. Spawn standing in darkness, barely seeing him.

Loving the tone there going for. Spawn is like the shark in jaws. Keep him hidden and use him when necessary.

Quote:
If you want to know what we're going to get, watch the first few episodes of HBO series.
I'm looking forward to re-watching it. I was too young to appreciate it when it first dropped.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #72
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
I think you got things in reverse. When Spwan first started it was pretty much your standard 90's style bad-assery. OTT visuals, violence etc. Even had a hack and slash game (That I owned on the dreamcast ) I would say as the book progressed it descended more into horror.

The latest issue felt straight up like the conjuring. Spawn standing in darkness, barely seeing him.

Loving the tone there going for. Spawn is like the shark in jaws. Keep him hidden and use him when necessary.

I'm looking forward to re-watching it. I was too young to appreciate it when it first dropped.
I still have my complete run of the first 100 issues. The first 20 or so issues are very much a horror story that eventually takes a back seat when more of the mythology takes center stage. The tonal shift of the book on top of the story becoming all build up and no real pay off are the key reasons I dropped it. I'm glad the comics are going back to their roots. I might actually give the new stuff a look.

Quote:
As others have said, he was a superhero in the 1990s "grim and gritty" variety. Yeah, there are plenty of horror elements and all that but at the end of the day, he's still a guy in tights, a cape and a Venom/Deadpool mask who fights demons and cyborgs and beat the crap out of Batman in two different stories.

Now, I haven't read all that much Spawn but in the stories I did, he was very central to the story. And just because the 1990s movie sucked doesn't mean that making him the main character in a film can't work. It's the same straw man argument people always use about Green Lantern - that Hal Jordan or the GL concept as a whole can't work on film because the previous effort was bad. I would argue that bad writing, acting, direction and special effects are the reasons why those movies failed.
An Al Simmons centric film can work as a film and we may get that with the sequel, but for the limited budget, the straight horror adaptation is the right move. If they did this from Al's perspective, we would wind up with Al crying in Rat City for an hour of it. With the perspective being shifted to Sam and Twitch, we at least get to follow entertaining characters in between the brief moments of violence.

Last edited by Joe Von Zombie; 08-01-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #73
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Yeah, maybe it can work. I don't know. You could be right; perhaps this is the best way to go on a limited budget. I just worry that it will end up being mediocre (especially with MacFarlane directing it... I know he created the character but he's never directed anything before).

All that said, I'm a bit surprised that they are attempting to make this film on such a low budget and with a first-time director. Maybe it's just because MacFarlane refused to relinquish any creative control over the character but in an age where superhero films are such big business, I'm surprised at least a few major studios aren't beating down his door right now. I know that Spawn isn't Batman or Iron Man, but with the right budget and talent behind it, I feel like the character could really thrive in this new big budget superhero movie paradigm.

Maybe that's not what MacFarlane wants, but he's always seemed like the kind of guy that sees the bigger picture beyond comic books. He was one of the first "rock star" comic book artists, branching out into making action figures, animation, etc.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #74
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

I understand everyone's concern, but I feel like Todd has the right people behind him and he has realistic expectations. He wrote what he considered a 10 million dollar script because he knew no one would realistically give him more than that being a first time director. Tim Miller and Jordan Peele were also first time directors and they were incredibly successful. Blumhouse might be looking to recreate that success. I genuinely think if Todd can pull it off, we'll have something special on our hands.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #75
2kt09
Here 'N' There

If he can't pull it off, not much skin off our back. I'd much rather revive that HBO series then hope for a decent Spawn reboot let alone a series of films.

Reed________Goyer