The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #26
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Is Waid really banned? I thought any issues between him and DC were mostly on his end.

Either way, I know he tweeted something in the early part of 2017 about a lunch with Geoff Johns and "much respect shared" or something to that effect. An effort to mend fences and get something started?

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #27
Sawyer
High King

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOEeq9hDHM/

*eye immediately zooms in on Gotham Central omnibus*

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I'd be down with Bendis on a Gotham Central book. Street-level crime is all I want to read from Bendis.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #29
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the latest Action Comics and what looks to be the end of the Oz Effect storyline.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #30
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Bendis is coming to DC? God help us all. And I mean, *God help us all*. Hasn't he, along with the other hacks at Marvel, caused enough damage to the industry?

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
WolfCypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the latest Action Comics and what looks to be the end of the Oz Effect storyline.
Honestly couldn't wait for this arc to end, hoped Oz or whoever he is (don't know if saying his identity at this point is a spoiler still, but...) would get killed off. So much hype, so much..."that's it?"

And it was silly to think at any point Superman or Superboy would actually, even maybe, consider his point-of-view.

Did not like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #32
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I agree. I was so disappointed with the identity reveal, and the story wasn't all that interesting from that point through the end. If not for the supposed importance toward the upcoming story with the Watcmen, I'd have dropped Action long before now.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #33
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I couldn't get into Green Arrow post-Rebirth. It sucked early during the New52 until Lemire came on and wrote one of the best New52 titles that was. Then the follow up writer sucked followed by the last writer who did okay. But once the relaunch happened it just didn't feel the same. I know that was the goal, to make it more like pre-New52, but it lost me. I didn't like it. I know most would protest, but I'd welcome a Bendis reworking.

And while I don't mind King's Batman, I agree it's not great. But I just don't think Bendis would really do that great a job with the character. I could be proven wrong though.
I hope you take this the right way, as it is meant as a compliment, but I actually find it interesting that you'd give a character like GA a chance, given what I observe to be your political leanings. That's an admirable trait to give a character that represents your polar opposite a chance.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #34
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I've found the overarching arc of Superman versus human nature to be an interesting theme even if the Oz storyline execution hasn't been great.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #35
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
I hope you take this the right way, as it is meant as a compliment, but I actually find it interesting that you'd give a character like GA a chance, given what I observe to be your political leanings. That's an admirable trait to give a character that represents your polar opposite a chance.
Admittedly, I only made it maybe two or three issues into the new direction so I don't recall any real politics in the comic. But I'm familiar with Green Arrows' typical political leanings, and that wouldn't typically turn me off of the book as long as it's well written and isn't badgering. For me, it was the fact that I was never a huge Green Arrow fan pre-New 52 (though I did enjoy a run or two here and there). I tend to enjoy him in spurts or in team/group settings. So the first time I REALLY got into the character was during Lemire's run and the Rebirth direction was nothing like that. The Black Canary relationship, while understandable, wasn't built up to enough in the new continuity for my tastes. It felt forced.

The only time I really let a comic's political view ruin it for me is if it's belligerent and insulting. Example... I was absolutely LOVING Champions over at Marvel until the issue came out that was insulting toward Trump and Trump supporters, depicting them as racists. Despite what some might have you believe, the VAST number of people on my side of the aisle despise racism as much as anyone else (an argument can be made that they despise it even more... but that's for another thread). I know it's a finger-pointing topic on the left, but the number of actual white supremacists/Nazis is insignificant in scope... and we are not them. So yeah, the Champions depicting Trump voters as those sort of people was enough to turn me off of that book. It was pure ignorance on Mark Waid's part (I think that's who wrote the book).

But if a writer depicts a character or plot with a left-leaning slant, I'm cool with that. No problem.

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 11-09-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #36
geetard
Rebirth

Mera gets a 6-issue mini:

Quote:
MERA: QUEEN OF ATLANTIS #1
Written by DAN ABNETT
Art by LAN MEDINA
Cover by NICOLA SCOTT
Variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
From the pages of AQUAMAN comes a brand-new adventure starring Mera, in her own title for the first time ever!
As the brutal Atlantean Civil War rages, Mera must keep the peace between the surface world and Atlantis as its newly anointed queen in exile. But when Aquaman’s brother Orm, a.k.a. Ocean Master, learns of his homeland’s fate, he’ll stop at nothing to return to Atlantis as its king and savior!
On sale FEBRUARY 28 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Is Waid really banned? I thought any issues between him and DC were mostly on his end.

Either way, I know he tweeted something in the early part of 2017 about a lunch with Geoff Johns and "much respect shared" or something to that effect. An effort to mend fences and get something started?
Yeah, he mentioned it last year when he threw a hissy fit on Twitter because he had thought DC cancelled his Flash collection (it was actually postponed)...

Last edited by geetard; 11-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.
geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #37
JewishHobbit
Banned User

That Mera title sounds good. I've been waiting for Orm to show back up ever since his escape from prison during Forever Evil.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #38
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Whether the Mera title turns out to be good or bad, is there any reason to pretend its not going to get canceled due to low sales? Why not just be real about it and let it be a mini series? And if by some impossible miracle it actually becomes a book that sells, let it then spin off into an ongoing.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #39
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #40
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be so sure. Spinoffs of the main title are pretty much DC's bread and butter, and unlike the last Aquaman spinoff book, this one is focused on one, single, already-popular character. Who's to say that Aquaman's not due for Lantern style expansion?

To me, it'll depend largely on Abnett's writing.

TEEN TITANS (03) VS TEEN TITANS GO! PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #41
CaptainWagner
Rebellion Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOEeq9hDHM/

*eye immediately zooms in on Gotham Central omnibus*
Me. I'm much more interested in that JLI Omnibus! That would be an interesting book for Bendis to take on!

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #42
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Whether the Mera title turns out to be good or bad, is there any reason to pretend its not going to get canceled due to low sales? Why not just be real about it and let it be a mini series? And if by some impossible miracle it actually becomes a book that sells, let it then spin off into an ongoing.
It is a mini series. The solicitation says 1 of 6.

Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Edit - Forget it, I don't want to get this thread closed.

Last edited by Saint; 11-12-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #44
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Edit - Forget it, I don't want to get this thread closed.
Curious

Old 11-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #45
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Man, Action Comics left me feeling sad this week. I wanted to cry. Call me a sap, but I genuinely felt bad for Supes and the speech bubbles with the various problems being spoken out was rough.

Movies don't. Especially not the diseased, cancerous, leprosy-induced, kolera that is a Snyder exercise in brain death you would call movies.

To equate the struggle for civil rights of black people to DCEU should be grounds for admittance to a mental institution
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #46
Sawyer
High King

You know, I've been thinking about what they might be giving Bendis, and though I was leaning heavily toward something like Gotham Central, in addition to being sure that some sort of event book isn't out of the question, I think there might actually be something to the Shazam suggestion. I kind of feel like his Ultimate Spider-Man run, or at least the earliest part of it (since I fell off at a certain point), would be a good indicator of the energy he'd bring to that title.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #47
geetard
Rebirth

Spoiler-free review embargo for Doomsday Clock #1 lifts next Sunday at 11:57 PM PST. Be careful with any potential leaks.
https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-review-embargo/

And Bleeding Cool has reported that DC will be suggesting the old Marvel "artist focused" method to creative teams.
Quote:
Bleeding Cool has been informed by multiple sources of a major new editorial move by DC Comics.

The standard expected working arrangements for writers and artists for over seventy-five years at the publisher is that the writer creates fully-scripted stories for the artists. Well, from 2018, writers will be instructed to work the so-called “Marvel Method”. Providing plots to be then turned into comics by the artist, before being scripted by the writer.

It moves the narrative responsibility for structure and storytelling from the writer to the artist, and is part of a greater emphasis on the artist over the writer at DC Comics, that was prominent with the launches of the DC New Age Of Heroes titles (you know, the ones that are all a bit late now.)

This will be the standard going forward with the monthly ongoing titles unless, I am told, if the artists specifically request a script to work from. Or, I guess, that’s how the artist and writer decide that’s how they both want to work together. Should make for some fun conversations.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #48
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Spinoffs of the main title are pretty much DC's bread and butter, and unlike the last Aquaman spinoff book, this one is focused on one, single, already-popular character. Who's to say that Aquaman's not due for Lantern style expansion?

To me, it'll depend largely on Abnett's writing.
Aquaman sells less than 30,000 copies a month, which is pretty bad. They'll be lucky to sell half that for its spin-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
It is a mini series. The solicitation says 1 of 6.
That's good to know, that makes sense. My bad for not looking into that to recognize it myself.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #49
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I never realized Aquaman was that low on sales. That's a shame as it is easily in my top 3-4 Rebirth titles. [ducks out of way as JewishHobbit takes a swing. ]

Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #50
WolfCypher

Today's Super Sons, or why I like this book. This is how DC should always be writing Damian, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote