The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #101
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Default Re: DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
Mm...Detective's last good arc IMO was the Lady Shiva one...and even that one started to falter the longer it went on. Lonely Place of Living started so well, and it didn't do it for me once we got to the rest of the arc.

Also, both books have been requiring me to not question big things and just ignore them, like in Batman's arc where Catwoman and Batman went over to that forbidden Middle East country we where told there would be inescapable repercussions for them breaking a law even the JL couldn't be pardoned from, and the by the next arc, nothing happens. Hell, Bats and Cats even go out on a date with Superman, the guy who was supposed to bring them in after crossing over into the forbidden country, or how Spoiler has been rebelling against the Gotham Knights and even joined up with Anarky, but once Tim comes back, we just fast forward ahead to see everything's been forgiven off-panel, I'm assuming?
I loved the Shiva arc. I’ve always felt the relationship between her and Cassandra is untapped potential. And I loved Lonely Place Of Dying and feel that it is continued well with the Super Sons Of Tomorrow story.

I love Detective but all that said, it does feel overcrowded sometimes. And Kate isn’t really that likable. The stuff with Stephanie seemed like it had potential but I agree it was just kind of dropped.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #102
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Count me in as someone who largely enjoys King's run on Batman. It's not perfect by any means, but I enjoy his staccato style of writing. It's fun, humorous, and I enjoy seeing King chip away at Bruce's emotional wall with the Catwoman engagement. This Bruce seems a little more human, and I like seeing that reconciled with being Batman. It may be "off" but I have a tendency to gravitate towards that kind of stuff. Given how much I HATED Snyder's run, having the Batman title slow down and stop trying to tell "earth shattering event" stories is much more appealing.

I also tried getting into Detective Comics about 3 times and could never finish the arcs. I was into the Lonely Place of Living arc and then time travel and alternate timelines and all that other stuff happened and I immediately lost interest.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #103
CaptainWagner
Rebellion Kickstarter

Detective is still great, but I agree on the stuff with Spoiler being glossed over and the team feeling overcrowded. Batwing and Azrael are pretty much just there, which sucks because they're probably my favorite team members behind Kate and Cassandra. Plus their suit designs are just incredible.

"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share... I'll never stop fighting. Ever."
- Superman
CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #104
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Count me in as someone who largely enjoys King's run on Batman. It's not perfect by any means, but I enjoy his staccato style of writing. It's fun, humorous, and I enjoy seeing King chip away at Bruce's emotional wall with the Catwoman engagement. This Bruce seems a little more human, and I like seeing that reconciled with being Batman. It may be "off" but I have a tendency to gravitate towards that kind of stuff. Given how much I HATED Snyder's run, having the Batman title slow down and stop trying to tell "earth shattering event" stories is much more appealing.
I will give you this: I do appreciate King’s writing for the more intimate parts of his stories. Some of his highlights have been Batman’s monologue to Alfred when he was facing imminent death on the plane in issue 1, I believe. I found it poignant to see him reflecting on Dick taking over and training Damien. I also loved Annual 2 and everything he has done with Bruce and Selina. I loved the fun Superfriends issues and seeing the contrasts between Clark’s view of Bruce and Bruce’s view of Clark. I also agree on Snyder and his tendency to over dramatize every storyline and have to turn everything into a major event. But with King, my frustration is his refusal to change up narrative styles. What fits in intimate interactions doesn’t necessarily fit when telling an event story. Sometimes direct narratives are called for. Finally it has been hard for me to get over some of the decisions he made during The War of Jokes and Riddles. But I’ve alre said my piece about that.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #105
WereCoyote
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
I will give you this: I do appreciate King’s writing for the more intimate parts of his stories. Some of his highlights have been Batman’s monologue to Alfred when he was facing imminent death on the plane in issue 1, I believe. I found it poignant to see him reflecting on Dick taking over and training Damien. I also loved Annual 2 and everything he has done with Bruce and Selina. I loved the fun Superfriends issues and seeing the contrasts between Clark’s view of Bruce and Bruce’s view of Clark. I also agree on Snyder and his tendency to over dramatize every storyline and have to turn everything into a major event. But with King, my frustration is his refusal to change up narrative styles. What fits in intimate interactions doesn’t necessarily fit when telling an event story. Sometimes direct narratives are called for. Finally it has been hard for me to get over some of the decisions he made during The War of Jokes and Riddles. But I’ve alre said my piece about that.
So after having read Metal #4 I'm surprised no one has mentioned Batman's blatant Infinity Gauntlet Ripoff, the Kryptonite Gauntlet.

WereCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #106
geetard
Rebirth

Looks like Bendis will make his DC debut on Action #1000.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #107
Sawyer
High King

I had figured as much, with it sounding like it's a big group effort.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #108
Sawyer
High King

Tom King Brings a Superhero Crisis Center to the DCU with Sanctuary
Quote:
At the DC in D.C. convention this weekend, writer Tom King teased both a new project and a new initiative in his work that he’s calling Sanctuary. Modelled after real-world veterans’ crisis centers, Sanctuary will be a DC Universe-wide initiative designed as a place where superheroes can go to to receive the emotional support they might need to help process through whatever trauma they accumulate in their line of work.

According to King, Sanctuary will be a concept that will have the potential to appear in “every book across the line,” but when asked if there was an actual series named Sanctuary, King said only “there’s a big thing coming that I’m not allowed to talk about — but if you follow my twitter I’ve been dropping some hints.”

He continued, “Sanctuary’s the most obvious idea I think I’ve ever had,” King went on, “I’m sure it’s what Geoff [Johns] must have felt like when he realized the [Lantern] rings could have different colors. The DCU has a bunch of superheroes and all they do is fight, every time, and that must have a psychological effect on them, right? You can’t live a life of violence and not feel that violence deep in your heart — and we also have a group of superheroes, the Trinity, who care about these other heroes. They sort of feel like parental figures, the foundation that stands beneath them. And they care about them for two reasons: one, because they’re good people, but two, if superheroes feel trauma and it drives them a little mad, that’s a danger. So, as both a practical and a compassionate matter, they’ve set up something called Sanctuary, which is a place that you can go, modelled on veterans’ crisis centers — which is an interesting name for them — and talk about this trauma and admit that this had an effect on you; where you can admit that being a superhero and seeing a life of violence and seeing people get hurt around you, that that has some sort of impact on you — and Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman can help you.”

The word “Crisis” certainly has some substantial weight in the DC Universe, so it’s impossible to ignore its use in the phrase “crisis centers.” That, coupled with Tom King’s recent twitter activity, certainly seems to imply that there is something big on the horizon for both King and the DCU.

However, Sanctuary itself doesn’t sound like the title of a new book, but rather the name of a new initiative or project that will be either discovered or constructed — potentially by the Trinity — throughout the shared universe.

When asked if Sanctuary was an initiative to help build a sense of community back into the DCU, King responded, “To me, the ideal sort of vision of the DCU is Justice League Unlimited and the idea that there’s like a club that they all go to and there’s like, lunch on a tray, and they decide who’s the best person to fight [whatever is happening]. And I know that doesn’t currently exist but it kind of exists in all of our imaginations. And if I could do anything to the DCU, it would be to bring that back, to bring that sense of community of superheroes and people come in and come out, and they do all know each other.”

King wasn’t able to tease any further details, including where the concept of Sanctuary might first show up, exactly how it will be officially introduced, or what other creators are involved with the initiative, meaning it’s entirely possible that we may see the first inklings of Sanctuary in other current DCU events and crossovers that aren’t currently being worked on by King himself, like Doomsday Clock or Metal — both of which are “Crisis-level” stories that have specifically avoided using the word “Crisis” in their names.

So, the question becomes: Is Tom King working on the first official Crisis in the post-Rebirth DCU, and, if so, is Sanctuary the result or the catalyst?
The concept of the crisis center and what King says about bringing back a sense of community makes me wonder if it's not only about helping them through the violence they encounter, but also a greater understanding of what Manhattan did to them and, perhaps, it's unraveling...

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 01-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #109
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Not going to lie, the concept is quite appealing to me.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #110
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Its sounds interesting, but coming from Tom King is nothing that really excites me to be honest.
Before his Batman run i would have said yes, but knowing what i know now...im not too hyped.

Maybe this could be more his range however.

Mani-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #111
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Anybody read the latest issue of Titans? I don’t know what to think. I’m completely conflicted.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #112
WolfCypher

It was the 1st Titans issue I've liked in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #113
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I’ve been ok with Titans because I like the characters. I don’t know what I think about the JL’s actions. Seems really condescending. And Dick needed to man up to Bruce.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #114
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

WTH did I just see in Batman????

Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #115
geetard
Rebirth

Yeah, this week's Batman definitely won't sit well among many DC readers... I haven't read it yet so I cannot comment.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #116
geetard
Rebirth

And in other news... Promethea will join the DCU in JLA.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Watchmen, Tom Strong... When's V's turn?!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #117
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

What happened in Batman?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #118
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
What happened in Batman?
Diana being written OOC: she flirts with Bruce knowing he's engaged and she's with Steve. And the last page ends with a cliffhanger with WonderBats about to kiss (not sure about this one). Next issue is the last part of the Superfriends arc, so we'll see what happens next...

Old 01-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #119
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
WTH did I just see in Batman????
You need to be more specific there, its Tom King afterall...you are bound to question what in gods name he writes.

From what i gather he has written a issue that pretty much pissed off a whole lot of people.

Wonder Woman fans because he wrote her OOC, Batman fans for writing him OOC(at this point it is nothing new there), The Batcat shippers that are suddenly upset that he might do something at the cost of Selina(which is weird since they didnt care about it when he blows sugar into selinas ass at the expense of every other character), The wonderbat shippers who dont buy into his whole baiting one bit and are more offended than anbody...and a lot of people in between it all.

As a Wonderbat shipper i can absolutly say that i rather have no wonderbat than one built at the cost of other characters.
I expected King do something awful with Diana when we heard that she would appear, but i didnt thought he would go into that direction.

Its just a mess from what i gather and i assume this will not be a issue King will look back very fondly.

Anyway...

Superman 39 was just cheesy and weird, reminded me of the good old times when comics were easy.
It was so weird considering what goes on in the Justice league comics.
Having such a "child friendly" feel good story is a bit weird but i must say that i honestly had my fun with it.

Super sons is really such a great series, i love how you can see the characters grow over the course of the series and how they become friends etc.

Mani-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #120
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani-Man View Post
Superman 39 was just cheesy and weird, reminded me of the good old times when comics were easy.
It was so weird considering what goes on in the Justice league comics.
Having such a "child friendly" feel good story is a bit weird but i must say that i honestly had my fun with it.

Super sons is really such a great series, i love how you can see the characters grow over the course of the series and how they become friends etc.
I really enjoy the occasional good old days cheese fest issues like the newest Superman issue. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I also loved the ones where they went on vacation to DC.

And yes, Super Sons is one of the best written comics on the market today. What a treat. Rebirth has restored Superman in a huge way. Jon is a great addition.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #121
geetard
Rebirth

Red trunks are back!

http://ew.com/books/2018/01/19/actio...an-red-trunks/

Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #122
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

About damn time.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #123
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
Diana being written OOC: she flirts with Bruce knowing he's engaged and she's with Steve. And the last page ends with a cliffhanger with WonderBats about to kiss (not sure about this one). Next issue is the last part of the Superfriends arc, so we'll see what happens next...
You forgot to include the fact that WW and Bats were trapped in something like an alternate dimension where time passes differently than in the our world. While they were only gone for 1-2 days in "real time", WW and Bats had been trapped there together for what amounted to 10 years in their time with no possibility to ever escape in sight. The kissing cliffhanger you're referring to comes after Bruce and Diana resisted temptation of hooking up for a decade. After admitting to each other that it doesn't seems like they'll every be able to return "home", the cliffhanger makes it appear as if the two of them will finally give in to their natural urges.

I personally have no problem with it, and it was something interesting to explore. It's not really about Wonder Woman or the "shipping" of Bruce and Diana, but rather, it's an extreme test for Bruce, Selina, and their relationship -- Bruce being "trapped on a deserted island" with a beautiful woman and holding out hope to return to Selina for 10 years, Selina realizing that 10 years had passed where Bruce and Diana were trapped and obviously assuming the worst (that he had already given in to those urges), etc. Will Bruce give in to his urges? Probably not, but even if he doesn't, will Selina ever believe him or trust that nothing ever happened between him and WW over that 10 year period?

Also, I've seen a bunch of complaints about the way King wrote WW's dialogue in this issue. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of dug it and it seems like he wrote WW as if it were Gal Gadot speaking.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #124
The Shape
In the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post

Are the trunks just a temporary thing for #1,000 or just for the cover, or are they back to stay? The article doesn't really specify.

I don't have a problem with it either way, but I really like the costume Supers has been sporting ever since the 'Superman Reborn' arc was completed.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #125
Sawyer
High King

Since they got rid of the collar at the start of Rebirth, I haven't really had an issue with the new trunk-less suit. If they give him back the trunks, I'll live. And if it's just for one issue, same.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*