The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #626
CJ
MAGA 2020

Default Re: F'dup Chapters in American History(The Trump Years) - - - - - - - - - -

Looking forward to who Trump chooses

Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #627
galmorzu
Demolord of Evil

Default Re: F'dup Chapters in American History(The Trump Years) - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
SCOTUS was my biggest concern about Trump, and so many voters didnt even think about it. Especially the idiots that spiteful voted third party and the fools that said Trump was no worse than Hillary. Hillary never would have put an anti abortionist homophobe on the supreme court.

I know someone who legitimately still thinks it's funny he voted for "Harambe" and laughs about it when the subject of the last election comes up.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #628
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Here comes the “denaturalization task force” to review naturalized citizens the government decided shouldn’t have been naturalized, revoke their citizenship, and deport them.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/us...y&sf90130835=1

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #629
CJ
MAGA 2020

Happy 4th of July everyone

Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #630
green
fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Justin Kennedy left Deutsche in 2009, long before the investigation and that information was surely not a secret before his father resigned.
You're right it hasn't been a secret, it's just as usual nobody does anything about it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-court-236925

That's from last year.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #631
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Here comes the “denaturalization task force” to review naturalized citizens the government decided shouldn’t have been naturalized, revoke their citizenship, and deport them.

Can they start with foreign supermodels who worked here without visas?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #632
childeroland
Side-Kick

Well, let's not go crazy now.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy

Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark

Spellcaster now available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Old 07-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #633
Holiday
Celebrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
You're right it hasn't been a secret, it's just as usual nobody does anything about it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-court-236925

That's from last year.
Powerful, wealthy families run in the same circles, that's all I'm reading here. Who should've done what exactly?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #634
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post

Fun fact: Apparently, before 1990, you could not be naturalized if you were LGBT. If you naturalized before then, and came out, you would be up for having your citizenship revoked for being LGBT. So, sieg heil everyone.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #635
jolldan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
This is usually where the argument goes. It's a reasonable question. How long do we pay for 250 years of slavery, rape, murder, forced breeding, and disenfranchisement? I think the answer is that it'll go on for as long as it has to. In other words, it'll go on for as long as the African American community is living in ghettos, with less education expectancy, wage expectancy, etc. Buried within your question, is the premise that we've already made good on the atrocities of our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers. We haven't. Not by a long shot. Centuries of slavery doesn't get wiped away in a few generations, and being black in America is still a dangerous proposition. You're more likely to get arrested, more likely to be charged with a felony, and more likely to be discriminated against in various parts of the country. They only got the right to vote 50 years ago for goodness sake. That's not even two full generations.

White people have to appreciate that we've fundamentally altered the progress of a whole group of people. We owe them big for centuries to come. We owe the Native American community big too. We have to appreciate that we are sitting on the backs of conquerers, murderers, and thieves. The least we can do is continue to help the people we've disenfranchised until their communities are not just surviving, but thriving. If you are an African American 18 year old with great grades and living in Flint, then you should be chosen over a white kid with the same grades living in the Hamptons. That white kid has been given a lot of advantages already.. being just as good isn't being good enough. Now, maybe one day we'll get the Gene Roddenberry revolution and we'll truly be on an equal playing field.. but until that happens... we are duty bound to help the African American community and the Native American community IMO.
Although I don't agree with you on some points thank you for a well thought out answer I know some of these topics can be hot button issues.

To play devil's advocate though there will always be black people living in those conditions. I agree that the number is too high right now but you will never truly eradicate these issues entirely in any community because these are issues that face a lot of poor areas. So you will always have black people facing those issues at some capacity so surely there has to be a line? Is it when 60%, 70%, 80% of black people reaches the goals you described?

I also find it odd being held to account for the sins of our ancestors. Fundamentally I see no reason why I should have any connection or need to rectify the deeds of my great grandfather. Lets say I found out he was some grade A piece of **** that like Fassbender played on 12 Years A Slave. It would suck to know he was that type of ignorant evil person but I don't think I should have to try and right his wrongs now if that makes sense.

Can't agree with the last part, sure they could come up with some way to separate them academically an admission test, general IQ test, student essay. Because I think picking them for the reasons you mentioned is racist, you are discriminating against that white kid based on his race.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #636
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

It's less about coming from a background of poverty and more about racism/discrimination. There is poverty across all races but your still face higher ranges of adversity across a wide range of areas if your black or native american and so.

Racial discrimination is a illegal yet afrocentric name discrimination is still widely practiced by employers.

No white person is accountable for their ancestors actions but racial discrimination did not just magically disappear with the civil rights movement in the sixties. Discrimination and prejudice still exists. Having actions to try and balance things out is fairer is better than just allowing the imbalance to continue.

When You're Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.

IQ tests are not a 100% accurate measure of intelligence and their relevance is debatable considering the wide range of courses people study at university. Admissions take a wide range of things into account when accepting students. I very much doubt Universities are just randomly accepting black students only on racial grounds.

Again I've seen nor heard any evidence of wide ranging discrimination against white college applicants.

African Americans make up 12 percent of the U.S population and 15 percent of the overall college population so the stats don't really line up with the myth of wide spread discrimination against white students on racial grounds.

U.S college in general have been facing a decline in new student enrollment for a few years not due to a number of reasons.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0326c0a8d09e9

Last edited by chamber-music; 07-05-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #637
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

DNA testing is being done on separated migrant children and parents.

Because of course they didn't bother to properly keep track of everybody in the first place.

I would point out that DNA testing on minors without parental consent is illegal, but so is drugging them, so we're already over that line.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/polit...ion/index.html

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #638
chaseter
Barf

Equality does not feel like oppression lol. Not getting a job, scholarship, admission, etc based on a box you checked on your application feels like oppression. Being judged based on your skin color is oppression. Me losing to a better qualified candidate is not oppression....that is equality.

The actions to balance is in the eyes of the law, not what you think is “fair”. Prosecute, fine, jail. Punishing based on race is oppression yet you call it “balance”.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #639
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
When You're Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.

That looks like a movie tagline.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #640
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
SCOTUS was my biggest concern about Trump, and so many voters didnt even think about it. Especially the idiots that spiteful voted third party and the fools that said Trump was no worse than Hillary. Hillary never would have put an anti abortionist homophobe on the supreme court.
I saw in the news that Sara Sarandon had shown up in a protest against the separation of immigrant children and their parents, and she tweeted that she was arrested for it. Well, she should know that she actually helped Trump got elected. People may think it's noble to cast a vote for a third party candidate, but all it really does is to help the other party with opposing policy get power and do start creating havoc on democracy and break up decades of alliance with our allies.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #641
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Bloomberg - Mueller Taps More Prosecutors to Help With Growing Trump Probe

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mp-probe-grows

Old 07-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #642
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

The Six metre/19 feet Trump baby blimp will fly across London when Trump visits

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/e...ntl/index.html

Quote:
Strict rules are in place for the flight from Parliament Square Gardens, with the balloon being tethered to the ground and restricted from floating higher than 30m. It will fly between 9.30am and 11.30am on Friday 13 July - coinciding with the president's visit to the UK and a "Stop Trump" march in central London.

"Activist Leo Murray told Sky News:"We didn't get off to the best start with the Mayor's office over this, who originally told us that they didn't recognise Trump Baby as legitimate protest.

More than 10,000 people signed a petition calling on the mayor to "Let Trump Baby fly", and the group has so far raised over £16,000 to cover the costs of the protest - more than three times its original target.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #643
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I saw in the news that Sara Sarandon had shown up in a protest against the separation of immigrant children and their parents, and she tweeted that she was arrested for it. Well, she should know that she actually helped Trump got elected. People may think it's noble to cast a vote for a third party candidate, but all it really does is to help the other party with opposing policy get power and do start creating havoc on democracy and break up decades of alliance with our allies.
Do you mean Susan Sarandon?

Old 07-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #644
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

And Scott Pruitt, the swampiest of the swampy, is out.

Which leaves a coal lobbiest in charge of the EPA.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #645
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

the witch is dead..... long live the witch

Old 07-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #646
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
And Scott Pruitt, the swampiest of the swampy, is out.

Which leaves a coal lobbiest in charge of the EPA.
Geez, bad to bad.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #647
MaceB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolldan View Post
Although I don't agree with you on some points thank you for a well thought out answer I know some of these topics can be hot button issues.

To play devil's advocate though there will always be black people living in those conditions. I agree that the number is too high right now but you will never truly eradicate these issues entirely in any community because these are issues that face a lot of poor areas. So you will always have black people facing those issues at some capacity so surely there has to be a line? Is it when 60%, 70%, 80% of black people reaches the goals you described?

I also find it odd being held to account for the sins of our ancestors. Fundamentally I see no reason why I should have any connection or need to rectify the deeds of my great grandfather. Lets say I found out he was some grade A piece of **** that like Fassbender played on 12 Years A Slave. It would suck to know he was that type of ignorant evil person but I don't think I should have to try and right his wrongs now if that makes sense.

Can't agree with the last part, sure they could come up with some way to separate them academically an admission test, general IQ test, student essay. Because I think picking them for the reasons you mentioned is racist, you are discriminating against that white kid based on his race.
African Americans communities don't just happen to be more poor, more sick, and less educated... that's not just happenstance. Our ancestors set their progress back for generations.. cause you can't exactly learn to read or get a profession when you're in chains.

And whether we like it or not, the places and families we are born into determine a great deal about our position in life. If you have a Mother and a Father with extended family, a proper education, and certain access to shelter and food.. then you are far more likely to do well in life. That's a fact. And that stuff is generational. The average American generally stays within the socioeconomic class that they were born into. As they say, we may be done with the past, but the past isn't done with us.

And this isn't so much about retribution or punishment... this is about the American Dream: that whoever we are and wherever we come from, we can all succeed if we put in the work. These people were born into these problems, because of the things that our great grandfathers did. We must help them, or we are just like everywhere else.... survival of the fittest. To say that all people are born on an equal footing and all people deserve an equal amount of assistance is naive IMO. If people were to do things your way, imagine.. being able to justify any number of atrocities because, "hey, that happened 10 years ago, man.. I wasn't involved in all that. Why are you punishing me for what my dad did?" Meanwhile.. it's not so much punishment, as it is an acknowledgment that such actions have a cost. You can't genocide a people or enslave a people, and walk away. They deserve better than that. And again, this was only 50 years ago... and before that, we raped, and murdered, and disenfranchised, and incarcerated, and beat, and stole from black people for 250 years. The consequences of that don't just go away... they effect children to this very day.

So, if there are specific Americans in need of greater assistance, then why wouldn't we give it to them? That's what the government is supposed to do: target American citizens that need assistance, and give it to them. Because when they succeed, we all succeed. A rising tide lifts all boats. It's in our best interest to put out the fire, even if we didn't start it.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #648
chaseter
Barf

1) Being a family is a choice. You choose to be absent or be a father, mother, grandparent, etc. No one can blame slavery for broken families 200 years later. That’s ridiculous. That is cultural. That is the fault of the individual. You can’t blame others for being a POS human being.

2) Education I wholeheartedly agree with. Everyone deserves a decent education and access to higher learning or job training. We greatly lack this. However, this affects every race...not just African Anericans. There are more uneducated and impoverished whites than any other race...solely speaking on numbers.

A lot of people need assistance: elderly, veterans, children, blacks, whites, immigrants...you can’t give the American Dream to anyone. That’s their choice. We first of all need to help the people that can’t help themselves (disabled, elderly, children) and give access to education to those willing to better themselves. After that, I really don’t care if you’re making bad choices...those choices are yours and you need to accept the responsibilities of those choices. Life is hard. My family grew up without wealth or land. My dad is self made. I’m self made. Most Americans make it on their own. At what point do you decide it’s been equalized? It will never end.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #649
MaceB
Side-Kick

So, we incarcerate a father of a 1 year old boy for 10 years. The boy has to grow up without a dad while his single mom can barely put food on the table, and you think that it's the boy's choice to be uneducated with a bad view of masculinity? I think that's naive. Of course slavery and Jim Crowe laws have stunted the African American community culturally as well as economically. Their families were given nothing... they had to fight for things that whites Americans were given naturally,(mentorship, respect, authority) and that effects generations. How can a black man living in the Jim Crowe South be a good father, when he also has to work day and night at remedial jobs just to put food on the table? And how will that child carry those lessons that his father has given him to his sons and daughters? How can you be a good father when you never had one of your own?

Again, it's naive to think that the African American community is behind on education or salary just because. No - they are behind because white European settlers have about a 400 year jump on them culturally. Professing color blindness is the easiest path towards racism, because there's a reason why African American communities are more destitute and less educated. We aren't all the same. To argue that all folks have problems with education so we should help everyone equally is willfully ignoring the context. It all leads back to your last point, which is very common in America. This idea that, "I did it, so obviously others can too." That's not always true, and it's just confirmation bias on your part. No, some people do need a helping hand. It's our job to make sure that we have a level playing field, and the field isn't level when a particular group of people haven't been able to vote or serve in a jury or intermarry for 200+ years. Of course that's had an impact.

And if it hasn't, then what exactly is the explanation otherwise? If it's not socioeconomic, then why else would African Americans and Native Americans be falling behind? It's obviously not genetic. Who your family is and the circumstances you were born into matter a great deal. It's convenient for white folks to think otherwise (you mean I didn't get here all on my own?), but it's really not the case. In this country, you're most likely to die in the same position that you were born.

Last edited by MaceB; 07-05-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #650
CJ
MAGA 2020

Closed Thread