The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Who should wield the shield?
Chris Evans 139 79.43%
Wilson Bethel 7 4.00%
Mike Vogel 29 16.57%
Ryan Philippe 24 13.71%
Channing Tatum 9 5.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #226
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: The NEW Captain America Casting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
I have to agree that the panic and pessism regarding this film is starting to get a little out of hand.

What we know:
Johnston is in London or soon will be, production crews have been hired and work has already begun to prepare for filming.

What we have heard:
Numerous names involved in the Cap casting, but also talk that Weaving is in negotiations for Red Skull and they are searching for the female lead.

I am really not that worried about them meeting the schedules, the CGI used in Cap will probably be far less than what is used in Thor, more traditional stunt work, so post production shouldn't be as long. This movie is fine.
Yea i been trying to make this point for awhile myself. Cap is a different type of film compared to ironman/thor which need alot more time for filming and for post production for special effects and all. that Now normally most films of these caliber shoot between 3-6 months for first/second unit filming.

Then the bulk of production time is either for pre production before shooting starts or post production on sfx/editing/reshoots and getting to promotional stage of things. Thor as we know started up in jan and is shooting through april i believe that is 4 months for filming right there. Then the rest of time to film's release next may will be post production/reshoots and all that stuff.

So with captain america scheduled to shoot june 28th. There is still 3+ months before filming. Now if they do lock their lead within the next 1-2 weeks. That would still give said guy some time to train for filming, bulk up and costume fittings and all that. And like others have said if it ends up going to evans or vogel or someone who is like them and is already in fair shape. They wont need alot of time to bulk up for the role.

As for filming since it starts june 28th, we can technically say shooting will be july. So filming will probably be july-oct for the shoot. That then gives nov 10-june 11(8+ months) for post production and promoting the film. Which captain america i still say will probably be less cgi driven and more pratical shooting and stunt/wire work. So this time table is very workable.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #227
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

The closer we get to the shoot date...the more I think that the casting choice is already fit and muscled out.

C'mon McPartlin!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #228
eth322
Newbie First Class

Hey gang,

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on who should play Cap. Out of the current list, I would say that Chris Evans is my top choice. I thought he was great as The Human Torch. He actually nailed the character perfectly. My second pick is honestly Channing Tatum. I know most of you would probably say what?!? Here's my humble opinion. I don't think we can actually judge Tatum's acting ability based off of his role as "Duke." The movie G.I. Joe wasn't exactly character driven, but action. Once again, this is just my opinion.

If the casting director sees Tatum as the best choice, I say give him a chance. Let's see what he can do with a great character.

BTW: I pick March 31.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #229
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Sure most folks are talking about how bad tatum was in GI joe. But that isnt the only film they have talked about where he hasnt been that great of an actor compared to others in said other films of his. For me i havent seen many of his films he has been in. But what i have seen he wasnt that great of an actor and didnt really have much persona/charm in his roles and was pretty weak in the acting department.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #230
eth322
Newbie First Class

Point well taken Webhead. I've only seen him in G.I. Joe.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #231
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Totally plus he has played the solider role multi times in said roles he has been in and as folks have said he hasnt really nailed that role well. He should probably branch out to some other type of film character to grow as an actor. But as i said for me my picks are evans for 1st, vogel for 2nd, and i would take bethal as 3rd over phillippe who i would definately take over tatum and tatum i dont want in this role.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #232
ImWithTeamConan
Avenger of Comedy

Regarding who's been rumored and has talked about it publicly...

Evans/Hedlund (I change my mind every other day)
Phillippe
Vogel
Anybody else
Channing Tatum

2012 Knockout Kings Fantasy Football Champion
Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #233
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

I love how everyone flips out... Chewy comes in and uses some common sense and we are once again in calm....... Chewy =

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #234
Aesop Rocks
Now I'm Free.

Chewy for Cap!

Black Panther is the best MCU movie to-date.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #235
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkuldhc View Post
updated list:

March 22: Chewy
March 23: flickchick85
March 24: chiefchirpa
March 25: Whiskey Tango
March 28: FaT_tONie
March 29: blinkuldhc
March 31: eth22
April 2: Willard Nation
April 8: Silver Moth
updated

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #236
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth322 View Post
Hey gang,

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on who should play Cap. Out of the current list, I would say that Chris Evans is my top choice. I thought he was great as The Human Torch. He actually nailed the character perfectly. My second pick is honestly Channing Tatum. I know most of you would probably say what?!? Here's my humble opinion. I don't think we can actually judge Tatum's acting ability based off of his role as "Duke." The movie G.I. Joe wasn't exactly character driven, but action. Once again, this is just my opinion.

If the casting director sees Tatum as the best choice, I say give him a chance. Let's see what he can do with a great character.

BTW: I pick March 31.
May I start off by saying I'm not trying to bash your opinion, and I totally respect the reasonable way in which you've stated it, but the simple fact is that most of us aren't basing our opinion of Tatum STRICTLY on his GIJoe role, but rather on his larger body of work, which has been completely underwhelming. And even IF he does end up getting the role, I'm sure it would have more to do with marketing and bringing in the tween crowd than with the casting director thinking he was the best for the role because in all honesty there's literally NO WAY he's actually better in auditions or screentests than a fair number of the other choices.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #237
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally i am sure evans/vogel(and if hedlund did end up testing) are much better actors and probably all have/had good tests. For all we know maybe they do want evans/vogel but are just testing a few more. So then they ask said guys back again and make final decision then. Also i do hope we land cap officially before april 1st. God if we dont have cap official by then its going to be a crazy day of fake rumors after fake rumors. So hopefully and i am crossing fingers we will have it before then.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #238
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Captain America is on Fox every Wed. before American Idol.

Just FYI, Human Target has just wrapped its first season.

- CM Punk
Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #239
batsfan81
Side-Kick

Another little tidbit about whether Hedlund being in or out. E Online says he has tested according to Hollywood Reporter. I dont think anybody is reporting the same thing about this.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #240
ImWithTeamConan
Avenger of Comedy

Hedlund's always been my choice. I think Tron Legacy is going to be a hit and Marvel will have gotten in on the ground floor with another star.

2012 Knockout Kings Fantasy Football Champion
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #241
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

I was indifferent about Hedlund before because I was rooting for McPartlin, then Krasinski, then Evans, then McPartlin..... I'm just exhausted now, and I'm just hoping they cast Hedlund if it means they'll wrap up the decision ASAP.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #242
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

2x post

Last edited by blinkuldhc; 03-18-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: oops
Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 AM   #243
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsfan81 View Post
Another little tidbit about whether Hedlund being in or out. E Online says he has tested according to Hollywood Reporter. I dont think anybody is reporting the same thing about this.
If you're referring to a website.... do us a favor a provide a link!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #244
Lobo
Snow Wifey

Ryan Phillipe *crosses fingers*

Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #245
OB12
Side-Kick

I really hope Ryan Phillipe doesn't get this part. Nothing about him says Cap at all. He is really small and constantly has a pouty or indignant look on his face. For all of the flak that JK took for not looking like Steve Rogers, Phillipe should be garning the same responses. Other than the fact that he has blonde hair, Phillipe is woefully short on resembling Cap. That said, he is a good actor and I could really get behind him as Hank Pym.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #246
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I think Ryan Phillipe would make a better Oliver "Ollie" Queen AKA Green Arrow then he would Captain America (Steve Rogers).

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #247
Cth
Side-Kick

Put me down for March 26th

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #248
afrayedknot
Side-Kick

Seriously, this list stinks! It's like having a choice between death and booga booga! And I have a feeling we're going to get death . . . by booga booga!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #249
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkuldhc View Post
If you're referring to a website.... do us a favor a provide a link!
That article that batsfan81 is referring to is this:

Quote:
Channing Tatum Answers Never-Ending Casting Call for Captain America
Tue., Mar. 16, 2010 8:42 AM PDT by Gina Serpe

When it comes to Captain America, the proverbial casting couch is starting to seem more like a revolving door.

First, there was John Krasinski, though that idea went over about as well as a stapler in Jell-O (at least to Chace Crawford). Then, Ryan Phillippe and Chris Evans were thrown into the ring. Now comes word that a new man is leading the, well, leading men, joining the shortlist for the titular superhero role.

And those abs that man is Channing Tatum.

Tatum is the latest actor vying for the chance to wear the red, white and blue spandex in The First Avenger: Captain America, which begins production this June.

While most of the other contenders, including Mike Vogel and Garrett Hedlund, have screen-tested for the part, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Dear John's shirtless wonder has yet to even see a script, let alone read for the part, and was instead simply approached about the role.

Whoever ends up in the (very, very manly) tights, it's not the only role that has yet to be decided. Keira Knightley is in talks to play love interest Betsy Ross and Hugo Weaving is the main contender to play archenemy Red Skull.
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b171...lt__i_gt_.html

But that article EOnline is referring doesn't mention anything about Hedlund testing, only that Marvel is/was keen on him:

Quote:
Channing Tatum approached for "Captain America"

By Borys Kit Borys Kit – Tue Mar 16, 3:02 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Add Channing Tatum to the list of actors being considered for the role of Captain America.

The co-star of the recent weepie "Dear John" now joins soap star Wilson Blethel ("The Young and the Restless") and Mike Vogel ("She's Out of My League"), who have screen-tested, as well as Chris Evans ("Fantastic Four"), who has read for the part. Marvel Studios is also still keen on Garrett Hedlund ("Tron Legacy").

At this stage Tatum, who just wrapped filming on the Steven Soderbergh action flick "Knockout," has only been approached for the role and has not seen a script. The actor played Duke in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," but despite that movie doing modestly at the box office, fanboy reaction was muted and its viability as a franchise is set on neutral.

Tatum certainly has the heft for Captain America, but can he play the 98-pound weakling alter ego Steve Rogers was before taking the super-serum which turns him into a perfect human specimen? This could be Tatum's chance to pull a "Machinist" -- Christian Bale lost 60 pounds for the role in the 2004 drama which, while attracting some heat from health groups, received acclaim for his performance in that movie.

Casting for other roles in the Captain America movie is just as hot.

Hugo Weaving's deal is still being worked on, though not much movement has occurred since last week.

And the search is on for the female lead. Details for the part are being kept secret for now but it is rumored to be his flame Betsy Ross (ironically, named after the woman who is credited with creating the American flag). Keira Knightley was approached last week, but the studio is also looking at other actresses.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100316/film_nm/us_captain

Last edited by FlawlessVictory; 03-18-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #250
Iron_Stark
That's a one-off

Chris Evans gets my vote.

Closed Thread