The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #126
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Don't worry for Cap 3. He's signed on through Avengers 3. Now, Avengers 3...mehaps be nervous.
It's gonna be a sad, sad day when RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth hang up their boots. The MCU can never be the same, for me.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #127
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
It's gonna be a sad, sad day when RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth hang up their boots. The MCU can never be the same, for me.
True. But think of the comics. It's always sad when a writer who's had a great run on a book leaves. But you hope the next guy can do even better. Yeah, movies are very different, but something to keep in mind.

Hcmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #128
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Agreed. He could be the most sexiest, most badass guy in the world, but I would have lost any of my infatuation with him if he was a dick.

And, I'm not at all upset about the Widow not having a relationship with Cap. I'm on the Natasha/Clint bandwagon myself anyways. But they better step up Sharon's character development, because right now, she ain't doing it. She's no Peggy or Natasha, at all. She's just, at the right place at the right time more than anything, and I hate those. (I would have preferred if it was the waitress from The Avengers, she liked him because he was a nice guy, not because he was famous, or kickass, or because he was a legend in her little world.)
After TA I was pulling for the waitress to return as Steve's love interest instead of Sharon even though I knew they would never do that. Although I appreciate Marvel's (general) willingness to stick with comic book canon, in this instance I wish that they would abandon it altogether and give Steve a new love interest. Sharon was never an interesting person anyway, in that she had no distinctive personality that I could identify in over 20 years of reading stories featuring her. "Brittle" and "empty" aren't great defining characteristics.

It hasn't helped matters that various writers have overlaid her nonexistent persona with all the bat**** psycho girlfriend crap they could think of. The idea of anyone being romantically paired with someone who hurt them (or in Steve's case, killed him) is repugnant, no matter the excuses. Characters like Sharon and Peter Parker get a pass on partner abuse while Hank Pym still takes a lot of criticism for it. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Can we talk about Chris' eyelashes? Because they are LONNNNNNNNNG!! And in 3D, they just called out from the screen, beckoning me to kiss them…

Uh, *ahem*, yeah. I agree with whoever said he was surreally beautiful, almost not humanly handsome. I think there was something to the lighting of certain scenes because his skin glowed like the fleece of a golden lamb…

*cough cough*

I mean, yeah. Chris Evans was super totally great here. Wonderful. Perfect even. My friend even asked me if muscles were real. I kept poking the air in front of me trying to touch them
That man is beautiful and everyone working on the film made sure to showcase him. One costume designer from CATFA said that Chris has a perfect triangular torso silhouette, with broad shoulders tapering down to a slim waist. The Captain Rogers suit displays that form exquisitely. A lot of male fans seem to want Cap to be as impossibly muscular as in the comics, but I think that Chris's body is exactly what a strong, lithe, agile hero should look like.

The late, great Roger Ebert said in his review of TFA that he thought that Skinny!Steve was how Chris Evans really looked and that his muscles when he emerged from the Vita-Ray machine were all CGI. He had to be told that it was the reverse. So your friend is in good company.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #129
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
After TA I was pulling for the waitress to return as Steve's love interest instead of Sharon even though I knew they would never do that. Although I appreciate Marvel's (general) willingness to stick with comic book canon, in this instance I wish that they would abandon it altogether and give Steve a new love interest. Sharon was never an interesting person anyway, in that she had no distinctive personality that I could identify in over 20 years of reading stories featuring her. "Brittle" and "empty" aren't great defining characteristics.

It hasn't helped matters that various writers have overlaid her nonexistent persona with all the bat**** psycho girlfriend crap they could think of. The idea of anyone being romantically paired with someone who hurt them (or in Steve's case, killed him) is repugnant, no matter the excuses. Characters like Sharon and Peter Parker get a pass on partner abuse while Hank Pym still takes a lot of criticism for it. Go figure.

That man is beautiful and everyone working on the film made sure to showcase him. One costume designer from CATFA said that Chris has a perfect triangular torso silhouette, with broad shoulders tapering down to a slim waist. The Captain Rogers suit displays that form exquisitely. A lot of male fans seem to want Cap to be as impossibly muscular as in the comics, but I think that Chris's body is exactly what a strong, lithe, agile hero should look like.

The late, great Roger Ebert said in his review of TFA that he thought that Skinny!Steve was how Chris Evans really looked and that his muscles when he emerged from the Vita-Ray machine were all CGI. He had to be told that it was the reverse. So your friend is in good company.
What did Parker do? Doesn't seem like the kinda guy who would be abusive

I totally agree, Evans has a great physique. Proved that you don't need to be huge to be physically impressive.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #130
Figs
Banned User

Another great dramatic role he did was in Puncture. That film seemed to go under the radar.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #131
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Evans has really grown into this role that I can't see anyone else but him as Steve Rogers - Captain America and it appears a lot of critics feel this way about him as you read reviews their reviews of this film. Chris has most definitely earned his stars and stripes as The Star Spangled Man with a Plan. I really was moved by his " The Price Of Freedom Is High but it's a price I'm willing to pay." speech you could sense the conviction that he really meant that and it wasn't just a script reading dialogue.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #132
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post

But, a favorite film of mine ever since I saw it in theaters had been the movie Sunshine. If you are a fan of what Evans does as Cap, I HIGHLY recommend this Sci-Fi film. It falls apart in the end, but Evans' performance was kind of revelatory for me. This was the guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Cellular? He's amazing in that film and I think it must've been a big reason why Marvel cast the guy.

Another out of norm character he did was in Street Kings. He was really good in that and pretty much outshone the leads.

And I love Sunshine, but mostly because of the score. That one score in that movie is my favorite of all movie themes. They use it alot, it was in Kick Ass, and they even used it in the last X-Men teaser.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #133
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Don't worry for Cap 3. He's signed on through Avengers 3. Now, Avengers 3...mehaps be nervous.
If you knew the horrible stuff that goes through my mind, the possibility of Cap being killed in Avengers 3 or Cap 3 is the least of my worries. I worry about real world stuff going down, and what happened to the Fast and Furious franchise, I have double the reasons to worry. I hope that Chris and everyone involved stay safe and live long, full filling lives.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #134
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:

I don't think you should use the comic book to predict where the movie Sharon will go. I think it is clear right now that MCU is quite different than the comics, and I very much doubt that the Russo Bros. have the intention to develop Sharon into a Cap killer.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #135
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:

Wait What type of version have you been reading of Sharon ????? you clearly have missed a lot about her

Furthermore sharon didn't kill Rogers, The red Skull with assistance from the villainous associate Doctor Faustus had her under a hypnotic suggestion. Much like Bucky was unwittingly used by Aleksander Lukin as The Winter Soldier.

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 04-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #136
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I don't think you should use the comic book to predict where the movie Sharon will go. I think it is clear right now that MCU is quite different than the comics, and I very much doubt that the Russo Bros. have the intention to develop Sharon into a Cap killer.
I hope that it never gets to the point where Sharon is a full-blown love interest for Steve. Just because something happened in canon doesn't mean it needs to be included in the film universe. Otherwise, Tony Stark would have been paired with any of a hundred girlfriends from the comics and Pepper would have married Happy Hogan. Since Feige and his crew have changed things radically before there is a slim possibility that they will gauge the reaction to Steve & Natasha's relationship and switch gears.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #137
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Quote:
I hope that it never gets to the point where Sharon is a full-blown love interest for Steve. Just because something happened in canon doesn't mean it needs to be included in the film universe. Otherwise, Tony Stark would have been paired with any of a hundred girlfriends from the comics and Pepper would have married Happy Hogan. Since Feige and his crew have changed things radically before there is a slim possibility that they will gauge the reaction to Steve & Natasha's relationship and switch gears.
I don't see why Sharon isn't or won't be a good love interest for Steve Rogers. EVC is a good actress and I think she will have chemistry with Evans in Cap 3 once they beef up their scenes together. And I do hope they will eventually give Rogers a love interest, although that doesn't mean I want Sharon to exist only as his gf; I want her to establish herself as a top agent first.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #138
Ms. Marvel
Screwed up Avenger

Quote:
The writers said Nat and Steve are smart enough to know it wouldn't work between them, or something like that, in the crave online interview. I highly doubt they will go the romantic route.

I also don't understand how it's likely that the waitress would have been developed into a more interesting character than Sharon.

Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #139
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
The writers said Nat and Steve are smart enough to know it wouldn't work between them, or something like that, in the crave online interview. I highly doubt they will go the romantic route.

I also don't understand how it's likely that the waitress would have been developed into a more interesting character than Sharon.
Yeah. She looked completely swamped in that deleted scene from TA. I'm not impressed with her at all, so if they had gone with her as a love interest, I would've prayed for a recast.

I feel like comic Sharon and MCU Sharon are different characters. I've never read anything but Brubaker or Remender's version of Sharon Carter (I did read a little of Waid's). Their version is pretty bland, so I never really invested in her at all. The fact that Epstein's art drew her to look pretty much like Peggy did creep me out too. Waid's version is fierce, stubborn, jaded… she did have some character under his pen. I could see EVC adopting that version for the sequel.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #140
Guard82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Evans has really grown into this role that I can't see anyone else but him as Steve Rogers - Captain America and it appears a lot of critics feel this way about him as you read reviews their reviews of this film. Chris has most definitely earned his stars and stripes as The Star Spangled Man with a Plan. I really was moved by his " The Price Of Freedom Is High but it's a price I'm willing to pay." speech you could sense the conviction that he really meant that and it wasn't just a script reading dialogue.
I agree completely. Steve's "Price of Freedom" speech was excellent, and Evans delivered it perfectly. He was great in the entire film and really sold Cap as an extremely decent, likable guy who is also a formidable soldier. Evans played the role superbly, and truly became Captain America.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #141
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

I loved the opening scene with Steve and Sam meeting each other. Evans really sold the friendly, sincere aspect of Cap and the chemistry was great.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #142
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

You know Evans was one of the best things (if not THE best thing) about the "ho-hum" Fantastic Four movies, but now that he is Cap, I don't even think about him being the torch anymore. He has completely embodied Cap in a way that I didn't think was possible.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #143
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I loved the opening scene with Steve and Sam meeting each other. Evans really sold the friendly, sincere aspect of Cap and the chemistry was great.
"On your left"

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #144
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Everything with Steve and Sam was perfect. Literally, I couldn't have asked for better.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #145
Feenix
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
You know Evans was one of the best things (if not THE best thing) about the "ho-hum" Fantastic Four movies, but now that he is Cap, I don't even think about him being the torch anymore. He has completely embodied Cap in a way that I didn't think was possible.
Agreed. Chris Evans does have an incredible ability to morph into the necessary character. The Human Torch and Captain America could not be more different from each other and he played both of them with such ease that you felt like his true personality was that of the character.

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #146
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The Freedom speech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rogers
"Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me in the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. STRIKE and Insight crews are HYDRA as well. We don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building, they could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. The price of freedom is high, always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #147
The Guard
Side-Kick

I was just glad he didn't walk around with his mouth open for half the movie in this one. Came across as a lot more stoic and centered. He's growing into this role nicely.

-Me
The Guard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #148
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
The Freedom speech
At first,I was wondering why he didn't say "They killed Nick Fury" since Nick was going to play "dead" and it probably would've gave his listeners a bigger impact.

But then I remembered.

Cap's always honest.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #149
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

In 2011 The First Avenger

In 2014 The Winter Soldier

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #150
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

I still get a thrill seeing the ads for CA: TWS. I especially like how they used the CA/Falcon exchange from early in the movie to punctuate the narration.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote