The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #126
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Default Re: What did you not like about Daredevil Season 2? Spoilers Ahead

I prefer season 2 to 1 as well. I was downright bored for a several episode stretch late in season 1 and I never felt that way during 2, even with the less engaging yakuza episodes. Even if the yakuza episodes had been crap the Punisher would have made up for them on his own. I'm a little alarmed that he probably won't be in season 3.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #127
Spider-Aziz
They Saw the Bill

To anyone preferring season 2, I say:

YOUTUBE
I had a dream, and another dream

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #128
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
I prefer season 2 to 1 as well. I was downright bored for a several episode stretch late in season 1 and I never felt that way during 2, even with the less engaging yakuza episodes. Even if the yakuza episodes had been crap the Punisher would have made up for them on his own. I'm a little alarmed that he probably won't be in season 3.
Well that's what happens when you give a character a spin off series. You don't use him again in a series that isn't his. I'm kind of happy about it though... If only Elektra could get a series/mini series.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #129
Whatupman
Side-Kick

I also prefer season 2 to season 1, if only slightly. I found the pacing and the character interactions to be better in season 2.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #130
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

DD season 2 gets extra points from me, because it is the first modern liveaction tv show about a fully realized superhero from Marvel. Tv is perfect medium for adapting comic books.

AlluAllu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #131
haephestus
Side-Kick

I finally finished season 2.

I'm torn about the multiple storylines. On the one hand, I liked that they had multiple ongoing plots, but on the other hand, I'm not sure they were balanced very well. I'm not sure what I would have changed. It just seemed that characters would take an odd backseat and Daredevil's motivations would change depending upon the main "plot" for the particular episode. I did watch this season in small "binges" of two to three episodes, so that may have contributed to this issue. I know that pretty much every season 2 review I read indicated that they liked the multiple storylines and how they were handled.

My only other issue was poor Karen Page! It's starting to be a little unrealistic how much crap the character is being put through. I've lost count of the number of times someone has tried to kill her or her life has otherwise been in danger. I guess that could be giving her so much turmoil to build to a "Born Again" storyline, but I really have to doubt her sanity when she doesn't just pack her things and move far, far, far away.

Otherwise, it was an awesome season which left me wanting to see more of Elektra, Punisher, Fisk and everyone else.

EDIT: I forgot one other issue - the dark! I get that Daredevil doesn't operate during the light of day, but there didn't appear to be a single set in the entire series which had a reasonable amount of lighting at night. Is everyone in Hell's Kitchen super eco-conscious? Did they keep having brown outs? Given the talented people involved, it would be great to be able to see both the costumes and all the action a lot more clearly.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #132
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

I'm shocked the cops weren't more suspicious of Karen given the way she kept surviving all these attempts on her life.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 09-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #133
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixen View Post
My biggest complaint with the season would only be: The last fight scene was way too dark/poorly lit. Really hard to make out things going on.

If you are referring to the roof top fight, it needed to be dim..... Matt had his mask knocked off..... So I was good with it....

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #134
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

If you are referring to the roof top fight, it needed to be dim..... Matt had his mask knocked off..... So I was good with it....
I was. I didn't need spot lights on the character from cops but it would have been nice to get just a little more light from the city on them as it was had to make out things.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #135
Warhorse
Side-Kick

I didn't like how Matt was portrayed after Elektra was introduced. I just had no interest or care for that whole storyline with her, the ninjas, Nobu, Stick, Black Sky, etc.

And I do think there was too much Karen. I think alot of her role with her interaction with Frank in the hospital should have gone to Matt, but they had him tied up with Elektra and her adventures.

I liked the whole thing surrounding the Punisher. From a shady DA, the gang turf wars, Fisk's involvement, and I was hoping there would be more to The Black Smith. I just think the ending with that was pushed aside for the Nobu/Elektra storylines. But perhaps we'll get more detail with the new Punisher series coming out.

Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #136
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Daredevil definitely got cluttered and disjointed by the end of the second season with all the subplots and spinning plates. Making Karen so integrally involved with all the subplots was also annoying because they had to make her an ace reporter and Ben Urich's replacement. And killing Urich was a bad movie IMHO in the first place.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #137
pixen
Side-Kick

I really did miss Urich's presence, though if he lived, we'd have another character to deal with, unless he took over the role of his editor.

As for Karen's role with Punisher being given to Matt.... I also don't think that would have been in character for him. Karen got emotionally attached and that's not something Matt would have done for Frank. Matt's role this season was to try and juggle both sides of his life. Elektra made him love being in his vigilante world but it also showed how much of a toll that took on his personal life and the people around him.

Also, Frank connected with Karen because she reminded him of his family in a sense and that's why she was roped into all of that.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #138
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Also, it played off Karen's own arc of dealing with having killed a guy.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #139
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

But seriously, if he starts a romance with Karen Page...

- CM Punk
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #140
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Daredevil definitely got cluttered and disjointed by the end of the second season with all the subplots and spinning plates. Making Karen so integrally involved with all the subplots was also annoying because they had to make her an ace reporter and Ben Urich's replacement. And killing Urich was a bad movie IMHO in the first place.
It made no sense from what I remember. Was there any indication Karen had a background in journalism prior to be hired as a reporter? Karen should've died and Ben had her reporting storyline and maybe Foggy her Frank storyline (though I did like her and Frank together). Elektra could've replaced her as a permanent female cast member.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #141
2kt09
Here 'N' There

That it was somehow worse than the first season by a larger margin even though they had the best writers of the first season to shepherd this. The fights on average were worse. The season was very jarringly split between two stories (I genuinely can't recall much past Punisher's episodes). I once again didn't care much for Karen and Foggy's side adventures.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:08 AM   #142
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
It made no sense from what I remember. Was there any indication Karen had a background in journalism prior to be hired as a reporter? Karen should've died and Ben had her reporting storyline and maybe Foggy her Frank storyline (though I did like her and Frank together). Elektra could've replaced her as a permanent female cast member.
I think killing her that early would've been a mistake. But her suddenly getting involved in the newspaper and becoming an ace reporter never sat well with me. Her season ending monologue didn't sit well with me either. None of what she said really seemed to connect to what had happened in season two.

I'm keeping an open mind. My hope is that Defenders and Season 3 can hopefully either amend some of these issues or smooth them out.

- CM Punk
Old 01-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #143
Warhorse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Out of all of the women on the show, I would rather have Claire become more of a main character than either Karen or Elektra (I just didn't care for Elektra in this at all to be honest.)

Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #144
The Overlord
Side-Kick

I think season 1 was more focused and cohesive then season 2.

Season 1 has a tight focus on the DD vs. Fisk storyline, season 2 goes all over the place alternating between a Punisher story and a Elektra/Hand story and there was nothing to tie those stories together.

I think season 1 is better than season 2 due to tighter story telling.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #145
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Out of all of the women on the show, I would rather have Claire become more of a main character than either Karen or Elektra (I just didn't care for Elektra in this at all to be honest.)

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #146
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well that's what happens when you give a character a spin off series. You don't use him again in a series that isn't his. I'm kind of happy about it though... If only Elektra could get a series/mini series.
The same thing happened with Luke Cage. He was introduced in Jessica Jones before getting his own show. Difference is Luke never overshadowed Jessica, where Frank sometimes overshadowed Matt even though the show is about Matt.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #147
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
As for Karen's role with Punisher being given to Matt.... I also don't think that would have been in character for him. Karen got emotionally attached and that's not something Matt would have done for Frank. Matt's role this season was to try and juggle both sides of his life. Elektra made him love being in his vigilante world but it also showed how much of a toll that took on his personal life and the people around him.

Also, Frank connected with Karen because she reminded him of his family in a sense and that's why she was roped into all of that.
But it would've been interesting. [sigh] Maybe it's just something to save for fanfics. There's at least one fanfic on Archive of Our Own, "No Regrets," that documents the "What if Frank had ask to speak to Matt alone, instead of Karen?" what-if.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #148
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecola1 View Post
Likewise Foggy was also being blind. Foggy has a friend who for all he knows is saving the city daily, saving lives all the way, and when he shows up late to something instead of being understanding that, maybe he was being almost killed, saving lives, the city, and sacrificing everything for the city, he gets really mad and tells him to leave. (Obviously was not actually asking him to not come back, but he kinda gave him permission to for the purpose of guilting him, and then secretly hoping he would show up on time the next day.)
I have to agree. I would have actually preferred it if Foggy had at least TRIED to show some sympathy for what Matt's doing. Like, "I understand Daredevil is a part of you and I know that whatever you're doing as Daredevil is important, but you have a job here too, Matt."

Quote:
Karen was pretty blind to how evil Frank was. Possibly because she even practically admitted she believes that what he does is ok. Basically she claimed that maybe since it works for him to murder villains, it should be allowed. Then she gets super scared and horrified when he kills people who were trying to kill her, and later swaps completely and tries to get him to stop. Pretending that this last kill would be different, almost as if it would be his first time "crossing over the line" as Frank put it to Daredevil. As if to say killing the people who work for bad guys is justifiable, but killing the lead 'bad guy' is a bad idea, wrong, and somehow worse and different from killing the others.
To be fair, I think Karen is projecting a lot on Frank.