The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 05-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #101
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil, Civil War, and the Sokovia Accords

Why?

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #102
wampa1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Accords are a framework for registration for all enhanced individuals.
Black Widow? Hawkeye? Tony Stark? Rhodey? Falcon?

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #103
Pokkle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even if he's not publicly known as enhanced, he still falls under the framework of the Accords, as would other non-powered heroes if they want to operate.
What Daredevil is doing or the Punisher is already illegal.

They can't operate in any cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
He was speaking about this, it's written on the frontpage in the movie:

Last edited by Pokkle; 05-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #104
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
Yes they fall under that umbrella.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #105
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Sokovia Accords are now becoming a part of the narrative of Agents of SHIELD. Yo-Yo is now part of the Sokovia Accords.

Realistically, I'm not sure how an outed vigilante such as Daredevil can continue to avoid a newly re-legitimized version of SHIELD.

- CM Punk
Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #106
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:

Realistically, I'm not sure how an outed vigilante such as Daredevil can continue to avoid a newly re-legitimized version of SHIELD.
The same way Luke Cage and Kilgrave did, I imagine. I doubt SHIELD would be interested in him anyway. He's just some dude with ninja moves. There's nothing to suggest he has superpowers to them.

Last edited by MbJ; 09-21-2016 at 10:20 PM.
MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #107
That9neGuy
Side-Kick

Since the Sokovia Accords only specifically calls attention to powered individuals and Daredevil doesn't have obviously manifested superpowers, I would think he wouldn't fall under their gaze immediately.

That9neGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #108
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
The same way Luke Cage and Kilgrave did, I imagine. I doubt SHIELD would be interested in him anyway. He's just some dude with ninja moves. There's nothing to suggest he has superpowers to them.
Accords goes beyond super-powers. Iron Man has no super-powers either, but he can build an armored suit with enough strength to challenge the Hulk.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #109
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
The stuff with Kilgrave happened before the Accords. Plus, few people other than his victims know about his existence.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #110
Random490
Side-Kick

Yeah, the public would see daredevil and Jessica Jones the same as Punisher, a normal human that falls under existing laws. We know better but it's not widely known in the MCU

I'm curious about Luke Cage since the trailer suggests he may be a public figure. They haven't been too forthcoming with the details of the accords. So far I see it as in order for deployment of enhanced as law enforcement, specially internationally. Would that cover a private citizen looking out for his neighborhood? Does the accords exist only as international law to protect sovereignty? As for what governments can and can't do with enhanced individuals? Will Luke Cage only fall under existing NYC laws as it pertains to vigilantes. Until they clear it up we won't know. Keeping it focus on government use and international deployment would be best to give netflix more freedom.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:06 AM   #111
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
Yeah, the public would see daredevil and Jessica Jones the same as Punisher, a normal human that falls under existing laws. We know better but it's not widely known in the MCU

I'm curious about Luke Cage since the trailer suggests he may be a public figure. They haven't been too forthcoming with the details of the accords. So far I see it as in order for deployment of enhanced as law enforcement, specially internationally. Would that cover a private citizen looking out for his neighborhood? Does the accords exist only as international law to protect sovereignty? As for what governments can and can't do with enhanced individuals? Will Luke Cage only fall under existing NYC laws as it pertains to vigilantes. Until they clear it up we won't know. Keeping it focus on government use and international deployment would be best to give netflix more freedom.
Talbot said the Accords are the law of the land. America falls under the Accords jurisdiction. So it's federal law, not just state and local law.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #112
Iron Fist
Side-Kick

Daredevil's a vigilante in the same vein as the Punisher. He's already breaking every law in the book. But nobody's aware that he's an enhanced individual, so I doubt he falls under the Accords jurisdiction.

Iron Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #113
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Accords goes beyond super-powers. Iron Man has no super-powers either, but he can build an armored suit with enough strength to challenge the Hulk.
And Daredevil lacks any obvious technology as well.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #114
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
The stuff with Kilgrave happened before the Accords.
Irrelevant. The point is that if you're gonna do the "Why isn't the government going after Daredevil" thing then you have to acknowledge all the other times SHIELD or the government should have intervened in something involving the Netflix shows. Ya know, like the guy with mind control powers who was running around New York raping people and committing mass murder.

The fact of the matter is they're largely separated from whatever AOS is doing.

Quote:
....And Daredevil doesn't have any advanced tech either. Even in the deleted Civil War scene the only reason Widow says Panther falls under the Accords is because his suit is made of vibranium.

Last edited by MbJ; 09-22-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #115
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Talbot said the Accords are the law of the land. America falls under the Accords jurisdiction. So it's federal law, not just state and local law.
But that doesn't give any specific details. Vigilantism is illegal already, powers or no powers. So the accords (as we have seen them) only really seems so far to cover governments and organized companies (shield, stark industries, Wakanda, etc.). For example "you can't send enchanced over seas without UN consent" or "you can't utilize enhanced as domestic law enforcement without them be registered and over seen"

So using Luke Cage as an example, he's not working for the government and isn't a part of some privatize security/military force. So when he rips off a car door to bust down another door a beat up a bunch of drug dealers he can be charged with destruction of property and assault as a private citizen. It would be a matter for the police who could call in the avengers or shield to assist in detaining him, but only if the drug dealers/property owners request the police to officially charge him.

Shield could say "hey you can sign up under the accords and only operate when we approve or you can continue this on your own and risk the law coming down on you."

So my point is the accords were made to legalize the Avengers (since they were for the most part illegal but everyone sees how necessary they are and wants them to continue) and also have framework for how governments use their enhanced to make the world feel safer. If the enhanced is not working for a government or private institutions that may be deployed across seas than they may not be subject to the accords. Luke Cage and Daredevil are just private citizens committing vigilantism and as such is subject to existing laws. More of a matter of be charged and caught for police than an international task force (unless things escalate). Jessica Jones is a private detective that already have it's own set of laws over what she can and cannot do.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #116
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Considering he's a costumed vigilante with no jurisdiction, he still easily falls under the purview of the Accords.

Also, how could SHIELD not easily figure out he has abilities?

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #117
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering he's a costumed vigilante with no jurisdiction, he still easily falls under the purview of the Accords.
It's for "enhanced individuals". As far as they know he's not enhanced. He's a dude in some red tights beating up muggers on a rooftop.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #118
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's for "enhanced individuals". As far as they know he's not enhanced. He's a dude in some red tights beating up muggers on a rooftop.
Sounds like something right up Coulson's alley. He'd probably be roving over Tumblr for fan art or possible photos.

He could be enhanced. Why wouldn't they look into it? He's also doing a lot more than beating up muggers.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #119
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
What are you basing that on? I didn't see anything about costumed vigilantes, compared to enhanced individuals and those with advanced technology.

Quote:
Also, how could SHIELD not easily figure out he has abilities?
I'm skeptical they'd even easily find him, let alone easily figure out he has abilities. He tends not to use his abilities in obvious or flashy ways.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #120
Random490
Side-Kick

By all accounts Daredevil is just a guy with a mask, not powers, no tech. Remember the second episode starts with having his ass kicked and him half dead in a dumpster. People are aware he's a mere mortal. And in Jessica Jones, we see how people have a reluctance to take reports of enhanced people seriously. I could imagine police gets all kind of calls that leads nowhere that causes them to roll their eyes whenever someone makes an accusation. Just because we the audience know better, doesn't mean the people of the world do.

In fact in the first episode of AoS season 4, SHIELD is completely unaware of the existence of Ghost Rider, yet people in the streets and criminals already have lore about him. In fact the only reason SHIELD got involved at all was when an eye witness spots a known enhanced on the run. Local law enforcement probably chalked GR's victims as gang violence or run of the mill serial killer, so it didn't reach shield's radar. So a guy in a devil costume beating up criminals doesn't warrant shield's or the international communities attention. Just because he's in a costume doesn't mean he's enhanced.

Now as I said the trailers indicate that Luke Cage may be more public than DD or JJ. So it would be very interesting to see how the accords apply there.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #121
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

All that you mentioned happened before he became Daredevil and a public figure known to the media. Enhanced also doesn't necessarily mean you have to have super-powers.

Ghost Rider wasn't figuring into the media before this season of Agents of SHIELD.

- CM Punk
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #122
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sounds like something right up Coulson's alley.
If that were the case then Coulson would be stopping every random criminal and mugger on the planet.

Quote:
All that you mentioned happened before he became Daredevil and a public figure known to the media.
No, he still takes quite a few lumps in Season 2 as well, long after people are aware he exists. He doesn't do anything that season that would cause people to believe he's an Enhanced.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #123
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
If that were the case then Coulson would be stopping every random criminal and mugger on the planet.
Exactly, to the outside observer DD is just a guy really good at fighting and parkour. No super powers, no military grade weapons. And while they haven't put out the exact definition of enhanced, I highly doubt parkour guy in a red suit counts. In fact the only super power he actually does have is that he can see... really well. Not like spider-man where there's a youtube video of him catching a car. There's nothing weird or extraordinary that would call for Shield's active attention.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Except ones that wear a mask and red tights.

Quote:
No, he still takes quite a few lumps in Season 2 as well, long after people are aware he exists. He doesn't do anything that season that would cause people to believe he's an Enhanced.
Yeah for Joe Schmoe off the street. Maybe for the folks at The Daily Bulletin. But SHIELD scientists? SHIELD analysts couldn't figure it out?

- CM Punk
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #125
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Except ones that wear a mask and red tights.
So every trick or treater or cosplayer? SHIELD HQ's prison cells must be filled with dozens of gagged and bound cosplayers every year during Comic-Con.

Quote:
Yeah for Joe Schmoe off the street. Maybe for the folks at The Daily Bulletin. But SHIELD scientists? SHIELD analysts couldn't figure it out?
If SHIELD's monitoring and analysis is that great then it should be rather obvious to them that he's not visibly enhanced in any way

Last edited by MbJ; 09-23-2016 at 06:34 PM.