The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 03-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #101
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil: FULL SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

Let's face it, if Karen Page hit the bottom like she did in the comics only to die later on...the show would not be revered as it is.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #102
Snow Queen
4AF

Default Re: Daredevil: FULL SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

Definitely liked it more than last season. I think the ending could have been better done though, and I think the season had a bit of a disconnect between the Punisher plot and Elektra/Hand plot. But I really enjoyed it on the whole. Not buying for a second though that Karen needed it revealed to her by the end that Matt was Daredevil. I thought the whole point of their moment in the Hand warehouse was supposed to indicate she found out at that point, and I think it would have worked better. On first viewing, my favourite episodes were New York's Finest, Regrets Only, Guilty as Sin, 7 Minutes in Heaven and The Man in the Box. Really loved both Punisher and Elektra, the two of them plus the pacing are the main things that push this above season 1 for my tastes. Foggy's still awful though. I liked that Karen had more of an active role.

Last edited by Snow Queen; 03-19-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #103
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Agreed man ^ Yeah the complaining about Karen is pretty dumb.
Seriously. It's a thing I see all the time. Comic fans/watchers putting female characters down if they are being actual characters and not just eye candy. "More Punisher! Less Elektra" or "Karen had too much of a storyline". It's tiring to see and read, especially when the actors they cast and the characters they create are rather refreshing. I want more Elektra, Karen and Claire.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #104
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think Karen had enough to do this season.

- CM Punk
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #105
pixen
Side-Kick

She did, but I'm saying people want the women to have less to do and have it all just be the men doing their things. It's silly.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #106
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixen View Post
Seriously. It's a thing I see all the time. Comic fans/watchers putting female characters down if they are being actual characters and not just eye candy. "More Punisher! Less Elektra" or "Karen had too much of a storyline". It's tiring to see and read, especially when the actors they cast and the characters they create are rather refreshing. I want more Elektra, Karen and Claire.
Agreed

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #107
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that. People have their favorite characters and want to see more of their favorite characters.

It's just like in the first season. Some people don't want to wait until the last episode just to see the suit, and when they finally bring in the suit, it's a bit of a letdown.

In addition, I think it was a mistake to get rid of Ben Urich and essentially transfer what would've been a great subplot for him going forward to Karen instead. I think you still could've had Karen go in this direction, but have Urich as her mentor instead of the editor who was a tertiary character in the first season at best.

Pixen, I'm not saying you are wrong either. Sometimes I think there is just more to the argument than wanting to hold down female characters.

Karen Page was always a supporting cast character for Daredevil. An important and major character yes, but still a supporting one. She was never a superhero. Never a vigilante. I think the show has done a good job of adapting her character and making her more than just a victim or a prostitute or recovering drug addict.

Born Again took her to some darker places than this show probably ever will.

- CM Punk
Old 03-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #108
pixen
Side-Kick

I agree with you completely. People have their favorites, it's clear who mine is, but I do also think there is a part of the comic community that does hold that sort of opinion and it's annoying to read at times.

As for Karen/Ben Urich, I do agree this season could have benefited from having him and having him continue being her mentor. Though that was what happened in the first season, so it would have been a retread of what happened before. Though if he lived, I'd assume he would have taken Ellison's role. Karen going off and doing it on her own showed some nice growth. Now whether or not that stick closely to the Born Again story, which I don't think they will stick to as much as people think they will, she'll have a good story/role to play.

Last edited by pixen; 03-19-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #109
kguillou
Side-Kick

Just finished. PHEW. What a season. What a show. This was much larger in scale than season one and as a whole better than season one and thats saying a lot. Loved Castle ( although I was hoping to see him more in action in his costume, damn it!). LOVED Elektra. My friend and I believe tbat they are setting her up to be the main antangonist in The Defenders leading the Hand.

All in all Marvel did it again with another phenominal Netflix show. It actually improved upon season one imo.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #110
Kris.O
Newbie First Class

Just finished it. All i can say is wow. I mean of course i have a few nitpicks like elektra being black sky. Getting killed by nobu instead of bullseye. Frank not really doing much in the last episode but at the same time i understand why these changes were made. In the end, the essence of the stories are respected. Elektra is killed with her own weapon by an enemy of matt. She is being resurected by the hand to lead them. So even if some changes were made the essentials are still there

The casting tho. Everyone was great but serioulsy charlie cox is, to me, what downey jr is to iron man. such a great performance. Like in episode 12 i believe when he is able to beat the hand ninjas after listening to stick's instructions he lets out a grunt/yell of victory. It might seem like nothing but its the little things like that that makes you root for matt. It shows the these fights are hard for him and that he must push himself to his limits everytime to win them.

People wanted to see more frank and i understand but i think people are forgetting this is a daredevil show with an intro to the punisher character. Keeping that in mind, i think the show kept the right balance of DD/ supporting cast.

Last edited by Kris.O; 03-19-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Kris.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #111
Snikt
Side-Kick

I didn't care for Elektra as a character. But that means the actress and writers did a good job IMO because she came in and totally screwed Matt's life up again. She made me feel sorry for Matt and Foggy because she's part of the reason (one of many) for the break-up of Nelson & Murdock.

But I bought into their relationship more than Matt and Karen. The wife and I didn't really want them to get together lol.

All the actors did great this year because I could completely understand everyone's POV.

And we need a Punisher series ASAP. Favorite episode of the season was "New York's Finest." Could've watched another two hours of Matt & Frank debating and discussing their philosophies.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #112
Snikt
Side-Kick

Oh and who wants who to be the one to take down Kingpin ?

I want another DD/Kingpin fight. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Frank blow the manchild away .

Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #113
Mrpaul
Spider-Man's in the MCU

Just finished the series, while it was incredible I wonder happened to Stone(Which we saw at the end of season 1). The characters again were great but I have to give more credit to Jon Bernthal as the Punisher, definitely worthy of some kind of Emmy or something. As expected there's a cliffhanger which will no doubt get a third season.

"In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you",-GG
Mrpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #114
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpaul View Post
Just finished the series, while it was incredible I wonder happened to Stone(Which we saw at the end of season 1). The characters again were great but I have to give more credit to Jon Bernthal as the Punisher, definitely worthy of some kind of Emmy or something. As expected there's a cliffhanger which will no doubt get a third season.
Yeah you can definitely tell there's more of a set up here for a next season than the end of season one, where they weren't really sure what was coming next.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #115
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

Elektra, Punisher, Kingpin, and Cox's reprisal as Daredevil are the highlights of season 2 for me.

I thought Foggy and Karen were cool. Stick was cool.

The hand were threatening, but they lacked a "voice". Fisk as the leader of Matt's opposition worked really well last season. The bad guys not having a "face" was the trade off for the excellent supporting characters we got. It was a tug-o-war free for all with Matt's convictions and personal ideology as the prize.

It was great.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #116
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
Yeah you can definitely tell there's more of a set up here for a next season than the end of season one, where they weren't really sure what was coming next.
The original idea for an ending for season 1 was meant to be that owlsey escaped and gets executed by punisher. But they scrapped the idea.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #117
the last son
Side-Kick

Daredevils no kill rule was getting ridiculous. So, dumb when he got electra stabbed. Talking about no killing. Hard not to role your eyes.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #118
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Oh and who wants who to be the one to take down Kingpin ?

I want another DD/Kingpin fight. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Frank blow the manchild away .
Don't want him taken down any time soon. Not permanently at least. Maybe having work in the background. Matt can't find anything to pin on him or even pull the strings from prison. Although i do want to see bullseye.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #119
pixen
Side-Kick

One thing that bugged me was that Stick's eyes didn't have the slightly milky blind look they had in the first season. Very small and nit picky but it was weird.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #120
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
The original idea for an ending for season 1 was meant to be that owlsey escaped and gets executed by punisher. But they scrapped the idea.
I had read that. That would have been mind-blowing at the time. Haha.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #121
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The no killing rule should've been suspended for the Hand agents who are basically zombies.

Even in Batman, did Batman really care about not "killing" the Court of Owl members?

- CM Punk
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #122
Reek
_________

There is one reason women get hated on in CBM's and shows these days...

Felicity Smoak

Reek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #123
Kris.O
Newbie First Class

thing is, the whole season was built around matts no killing rule and the dual phylosophies of matt/frank castle. He refuses to shoot frank or the gangster on the rooftop when given the choice between the two he choses a third way, He was trying to save elektras soul basicaly by showing her that she wasnt pure evil like stick and nobu would have her believe and like herself believed from childhood. Besides, matt didnt and still does not believe the hand to be supernatural ninjas so from his point of vue it makes sense that he still doesnt want to kill

Last edited by Kris.O; 03-19-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Kris.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #124
Snikt
Side-Kick

Makes you wonder what's coming first; Season 3 or The Defenders?

Unless they can tie in some of the season 2 loose ends into the Defenders

Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #125
cryptic name
No Limits

I'm hoping Netflix opens up with their two per year model and we can get another season next year without delaying Defenders too much.

I believe in Batfleck