The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Season 2, Episode 7 "Semper Fidelis" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Discuss Episode 7: "Semper Fidelis" here.

Quote:
Murdock and Foggy take on the DA in the trial of the century, but their client refuses to play along. Murdock struggles to balance his dual identities.
ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 03-18-2016 at 03:30 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Season 2, Episode 7 "Semper Fidelis" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

I love the scenes with Frank and Karen. Don't believe I've ever seen them interacting in the comics, but I like it.

And regarding Matt/Elektra: She's bad news and I shouldn't ship it but I do. Which is exactly the way it supposed to be with those two, imo.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 03-18-2016 at 09:06 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Yeah elektra is borderline psychopathic.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I would say she is a total sociopath.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
TX85
Banned User

Frank and Karen scenes were great, Daredevil/Elektra teaming keeps getting better. Elektra didn't react at all to Matt stitching her wound!?

I really liked Elektra and Matt talking on the couch.

Last edited by TX85; 03-18-2016 at 10:45 PM.
TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #6
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

There's good reason for the wound thing.

- CM Punk
Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
TX85
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
There's good reason for the wound thing.
Which is what? I probably missed it

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Keep watching TX85

- CM Punk
Old 03-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
djsunyc
Side-Kick

elektra might be the sexiest woman on tv right now.

charlie cox has the same ability as hayley atwell (peggy carter), great chemistry with the entire cast.

djsunyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I love the jury voir dire. On the one hand, it sets out all the sides of the debate (without sugar coating it either). On the other hand, it shows how hard it is to get a juror who hasn't made up his mind already. If they can't get a jury that can't be excused for cause, it would be a mistrial (and it shows that, yes, New York City may have made up its mind, but that's why they need to move for a change of venue and go somewhere else). Also,Frank Castle shouldn't go in front of the jury wearing orange and handcuffs. Maybe he wanted it to be that way because it shows how much the state is trying to punish him for "helping the city", but a defendant has a right to wear court-appropriate clothing in front of a jury and it's clearly reversible error otherwise. The music in that scene is badass, though.

New York has a defense called "Extreme Emotional Disturbance." It's an affirmative defense, but it's broader than you were provoked into acting. If you can show this, you can turn murder into voluntary manslaughter. With all the stuff about PTSD, etc., it seems that's their best bet. I don't know if Frank would agree. I like the debate between Matt and Karen. Matt strongly believes that Frank deserves a fair trial (which he isn't getting), but he doesn't think Frank is right in what he did. Karen doesn't seem to agree. I like that the debate between the two positions continue. Daredevil isn't any more right than he was in episode three in this.

Much of my thought of this episode is "damn it Matt." Elektra comes off as fairly unlikeable because she's causing Matt to make stupid decisions. The trial is more important than everything else, but Elektra is ruining that. I hope he manages to come around because things are falling apart (and they didn't even get the mistrial for more time).

Four Stars.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

When I watched the first episode, I almost fell asleep until the Punisher made his entrance. This thing gets better each episode. Love the Jessica Jones reference.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Drizzle
Ah, Goldblum, ah, Smash.

Elden Hensen really brought it in this episode.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Do Matt and Foggy butt heads this much in the comics?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Love how Cox is getting more time this season to stretch his legs as Matt than as Daredevil. I like how Elektra is just wreaking havoc onto his professional and private life, creates a lot of drama and makes Foggy/Karen that much more involved rather than solving mysteries together elsewhere.

I also cannot help but to ship Elektra and Matt. They shouldn't be together, but that conversation on the couch between Matt and Elektra...I can't help it. That was one of my favorite bits of the season thus far.

Smilodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #15
Speed Force
Anyone reading this?

This was my favorite episode of the season until I watched the next one.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

I really liked this episode. It played out near perfect for me. It had humor, action, nice character interaction, mystery.

Also DD and Elektra fighting together > softcore. Even Elektra is better than in her intro episode.

Happy!

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

The law side of this episode was almost more interesting than the DD side. I would've liked Matt to have spent more time doing his job as a lawyer.

Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:34 AM   #18
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Do Matt and Foggy butt heads this much in the comics?
Not in the original classic 60's stuff for sure. I think they have done stuff post Miller, when Foggy was in the mix that was similar. You have to remember in the comics there have been already so many different eras of DD.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ TBC'S THOR: RAGNAROK REVIEW, STRANGER THINGS 2 REVIEW AND DISNEY/FOX RUMORS.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #19
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The show still has all the tropes of super hero and legal dramas and night time soaps but it has managed to balance all that out quite well.

You know, I think those few extra minutes that a Netflix show has as a opposed to network shows helps to add nuance and action overall. Plus, since it's a show that no one is going to NOT have seen the previous episode, there is no need to restate plot points or reintroduce characters.

As for the rest of the episode...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Karen and Frank stuff was great. Frank's single mindedness does feel more real here than it ever did in the comics. He is fleshed out and emotionally understandable as a human being. Karen gaining his respect says a lot to the audience... Which again worries me about the ultimate fate for Karen in the show's life.

Elektra is too much of a temptation on so many levels for Matt. She does bring out the worst aspects in him, takes him to the edge. That said that interrogation scene of the guy that encrypted the Hand ledger just looked so much of what I expected and dreamed a DD show should.

Matt and Foggy... I fear we are seeing the seeds of this bromance break up. Which I suppose makes Elektra Yoko? Real talk though, Foggy is covering for him and feeling the pressure. Foggy is sort of an Alfred that, rightly so, has not come to a zen like acceptance of what the hero is doing but Alfred doesn't have to deal with Bruce continually lying to him.

Elektra says some harsh truths to Matt here about himself and his crusade. No pun intended, that man has a blind spot. Which... Is what makes the character so interesting and rich. Cox's performance doesn't hurt either.

Those trains of soil and that giant hole, man... Bad juju. Which brings up... Given that the Hand injects major league elements of the supernatural, and no not "magic and science is one and the same" but straight up mysticism and horror elements I have to wonder how all that is going to mesh with the street level vibe that the show has had from the start, Matt's powers notwithstanding.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ TBC'S THOR: RAGNAROK REVIEW, STRANGER THINGS 2 REVIEW AND DISNEY/FOX RUMORS.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Ene
Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Much better than the last episode. I liked the law drama side of the episode better than the DD stuff, just goes to say what a diverse show this is.

Ene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
When I watched the first episode, I almost fell asleep until the Punisher made his entrance. This thing gets better each episode. Love the Jessica Jones reference.
Must have missed that, what was the reference?

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #22
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I love the jury voir dire. On the one hand, it sets out all the sides of the debate (without sugar coating it either). On the other hand, it shows how hard it is to get a juror who hasn't made up his mind already. If they can't get a jury that can't be excused for cause, it would be a mistrial (and it shows that, yes, New York City may have made up its mind, but that's why they need to move for a change of venue and go somewhere else). Also,Frank Castle shouldn't go in front of the jury wearing orange and handcuffs. Maybe he wanted it to be that way because it shows how much the state is trying to punish him for "helping the city", but a defendant has a right to wear court-appropriate clothing in front of a jury and it's clearly reversible error otherwise. The music in that scene is badass, though.

New York has a defense called "Extreme Emotional Disturbance." It's an affirmative defense, but it's broader than you were provoked into acting. If you can show this, you can turn murder into voluntary manslaughter. With all the stuff about PTSD, etc., it seems that's their best bet. I don't know if Frank would agree. I like the debate between Matt and Karen. Matt strongly believes that Frank deserves a fair trial (which he isn't getting), but he doesn't think Frank is right in what he did. Karen doesn't seem to agree. I like that the debate between the two positions continue. Daredevil isn't any more right than he was in episode three in this.

Much of my thought of this episode is "damn it Matt." Elektra comes off as fairly unlikeable because she's causing Matt to make stupid decisions. The trial is more important than everything else, but Elektra is ruining that. I hope he manages to come around because things are falling apart (and they didn't even get the mistrial for more time).

Four Stars.
Frankly, I wish the trial had gotten more justice or had be more focused on the trial rather than on Elektra.

I mean, would Nelson & Murdock have won if Matt had devoted himself to the trial?

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote