The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Default Re: What did you not like about Daredevil Season 2? Spoilers Ahead

It's frustrating with how budget conscious shows are, they can afford to design and build costumes that are utilized on screen for all of 30 seconds (Punisher) or a few minutes (Elektra).

Aside from that, I loved the first 9 episodes but felt the last few were convoluted and lost momentum. The hand/Nobu didn't feel like a real threat, and the Stick arc was lackluster after how the season began.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
It's frustrating with how budget conscious shows are, they can afford to design and build costumes that are utilized on screen for all of 30 seconds (Punisher) or a few minutes (Elektra).

Aside from that, I loved the first 9 episodes but felt the last few were convoluted and lost momentum. The hand/Nobu didn't feel like a real threat, and the Stick arc was lackluster after how the season began.
I feel like they should have had a moment that demonstrated Nobu/The Hand as a threat. Not just storming the hospital or going after DD/Elektra. There needed to be some sort of thing that showed us what they could do. But because they do things in the shadows/don't want to be known, it hinders their threats.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #28
supernatendo
New User - Level 0

The transition from Matt disapproving and preventing anyone from killing, even if they were on his side, to not really caring if his friends killed or not was sudden and jarring.

We go from him trying to convince Elektra to stop killing, to being perfectly fine with his friend the night nurse Claire Temple shoving a guy out a window to his death.

supernatendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
Smilodon
Side-Kick

The Madame Gao cameo was pointless too. I figured they'd try and set up Iron Fist or whatever if she really is Crane Mother or something, but she was literally on there to feed Matt info regarding the Blacksmith. Probably could've had someone else do it rather than Madame Gao.

Smilodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #30
Whatupman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatendo View Post
The transition from Matt disapproving and preventing anyone from killing, even if they were on his side, to not really caring if his friends killed or not was sudden and jarring.

We go from him trying to convince Elektra to stop killing, to being perfectly fine with his friend the night nurse Claire Temple shoving a guy out a window to his death.
He was fighting for his life when Claire shoved the guy out of the window. It's not like he could have stopped her. Another difference is that Elektra kills when she doesn't have to.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #31
Rincewind
grezdei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I like Karen. I didn't mind her being more central to the plot than before.
I like her too, but I think her role was slightly bigger than it should have been. I don't think the end result was horrible or something, but the endless parts where she was there just to be emotionally distraught by Matt or Frank's actions were the least compelling for me. I also could have lived without her involvement in the final confrontation with the ninjas - I think her character arc should have been more tightly connected to the Punisher's (and when it was, it was done very well as she provided a nice, stark contrast/opposite dynamic to him) and the "romantic drama" could have taken a backseat.

Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #32
dario2739
Side-Kick

Ok, so literally just finished the last episode – loved the series as a whole.
There were only a few nit-picks I had...

Firstly in episode 3 (I think) where Frank had Daredevil chained to the chimney stack - for some reason all I could think of was Adam West's Batman - just something about the situation he was in, just reminded me of 60's Batman.
Secondly - episode 11 where Matt fought the Hand in the hospital... lots of obvious mis-connects in the fight scene... it was as bad as the infamous TDKR fight!
And finally - and maybe most contravertially, by the end of the series I was becoming a bit bored of yet another Daredevil fighting Ninjas scene - they became a bit repetitive.

dario2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #33
Pecola1
ʞɔᴉʞ-ǝpᴉS

#1 No mini-gun that they showed in promo. I only watched because I though Punisher would use mini-gun. I'll only forgive them if they release a one-shot of The Punisher shooting a mini-gun at Luke Cage. (And Luke surviving un-hurt of course)

#2 They again waited to make *actual* costumes for heroes till the very end. (If a small glimpse of a skull on a t-shirt and being wrapped in red cloth after death even counts as costumes compared to DD's red suit he got in the last episode of S1.)

#3 Characters. I liked them, but pretty much everyone had something that everyone can agree we hate about them, whether that's good story-line and realism, or bad because we should grow to like chars, I don't care.
Examples:
Matt being careless with his Lawyer duties. Most people looked at it and claim that he should ignore being a lawyer because the hand was more important. The Hand was hiding in the shadows... Matt didn't even know what the Hand was doing. What he did know is that a court-case was taking place that could determine how the public views vigilantes for the rest of eternity, and he decides to skip out to play with his college girlfriend attacking them when he knows little about why they were attacking them other than 'they're bad'.

Likewise Foggy was also being blind. Foggy has a friend who for all he knows is saving the city daily, saving lives all the way, and when he shows up late to something instead of being understanding that, maybe he was being almost killed, saving lives, the city, and sacrificing everything for the city, he gets really mad and tells him to leave. (Obviously was not actually asking him to not come back, but he kinda gave him permission to for the purpose of guilting him, and then secretly hoping he would show up on time the next day.)

Karen was pretty blind to how evil Frank was. Possibly because she even practically admitted she believes that what he does is ok. Basically she claimed that maybe since it works for him to murder villains, it should be allowed. Then she gets super scared and horrified when he kills people who were trying to kill her, and later swaps completely and tries to get him to stop. Pretending that this last kill would be different, almost as if it would be his first time "crossing over the line" as Frank put it to Daredevil. As if to say killing the people who work for bad guys is justifiable, but killing the lead 'bad guy' is a bad idea, wrong, and somehow worse and different from killing the others.

Then there's Elektra... who I have never liked anyways...

Stick is the usual sketchy non-moral yet somehow a good example...

Mitchel Ellison had some great char dev. You grew to like him and see he is a human and not just a jerk.

I really think they did well on Frank though. He dah MVP.

Pecola1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #34
GENERAL RAAM582
A Rebellion Built on Hope

Both Season 1 and 2 can totally be 4 episodes shorter. They just drag on too long.
I got tired of the prolonged fights scenes and multiple fight scenes.
The Hand and Elektra were not boring, but I got tired of them at times and I just wanted to progress with Punisher's storyline
Awkward transitions from Daredevil/Matt dealing with the whole Hand/Elektra plot to suddenly remembering about Frank Castle and joining that plot for a few minutes

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #35
Heretic
Side-Kick

1. As with season 1, some of the dialogue in the first few episodes is clunky.
2. As with season 1, this season lost steam a few episodes before it actually ended.
3. They showed an army of ninjas on the roof at the end, but only a few were involved in the fight. I think a better, more satisfying (though cliche) ending would have been Daredevil and Elektra facing an unbeatable army, and then Punisher starts unloading with a massive machine gun, mowing down ninjas and leaving DD and Elektra in a corner of the roof fighting a small group who has reached cover. I know they kind of did this...but not really.
4. I didn't get invested in either Black Sky or Blacksmith (and why did both mysteries have the word Black in it when they are both made up for the show?). For some reason, I couldn't get into the Hand storyline. As far as Blacksmith goes I kind of think I'd have preferred it if the murder of Frank's family wasn't tied to apparently the one other person on earth that he knew...that's kind of a stretch.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #36
Jim-H
Banned User

Just finished Season 2 last night.
How I feel about the show...

Last year when I watched Season one I was BLOWN AWAY. It was easily the greatest CB TV adaptation ever made. It blows all other Marvel and DC TV shows out of the water. Just literally every aspect of the show was incredible and to a really high standard- the casting, performances, tone, story lines, subplots, fight scenes, vibe.... it was AMAZING. Every episode was gold.How do I feel about Season 2? Well, the first four episodes were excellent as usual, then there was a drop off in quality, and the the last three episodes were great again. This season was just not as consistently good per episode as season one was.

It's still by far the best CB TV show, but the overall story did not seem as focused or satisfying as the first season, and episodes 5-10 often felt kinda padded out. I think the season suffered from not really having a big badguy as the focus. Nobu was a Kingpin henchman and the hand were pretty whatever.

Other thoughts-

-Excellent acting throughout the entire cast as usual, Loved Elodie Yung as Elektra and Bernthal was probably the best live action adaptation of the Punisher we've had because it delved into the characters psychology and motivations more than any past version.

-On the downside of Elektra and Punisher, Elektra's martial arts felt like they often lacked a snap or speed about them, and Bernthal could have done with going to the gym a bit to bulk up. He needs a bit more muscle mass, ala Tom Jane.

-Another downer is that the fight scenes are not as good as the first season and often you can see that punches/kicks are not connecting. They need to work on that.

-Finally the season finale was a bit of a let down, I was expecting/wanting some crazy Daredevil/Punisher team up. I really wanted Punisher to be let off the chain at the end and go full retard mowing down endless ninjas with the minigun in a total fist pumping moment of awesome but it never came. How misleading was that Punisher mini gun bill board? ...

Jim-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #37
Jim-H
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
3. They showed an army of ninjas on the roof at the end, but only a few were involved in the fight. I think a better, more satisfying (though cliche) ending would have been Daredevil and Elektra facing an unbeatable army, and then Punisher starts unloading with a massive machine gun, mowing down ninjas and leaving DD and Elektra in a corner of the roof fighting a small group who has reached cover. I know they kind of did this...but not really.
4. I didn't get invested in either Black Sky or Blacksmith (and why did both mysteries have the word Black in it when they are both made up for the show?). For some reason, I couldn't get into the Hand storyline.
Totally agree.

Jim-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #38
wampa1
Side-Kick

Max (Frank's dog) is seemingly abandoned : /

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #39
javonstokess
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I wish there was a proper team-up between Daredevil, Elektra and the Punisher against the Hand in the final episode. We did kinda-sorta get something like that, but could have been done better.
I think that was kind of the point of the season. Matt was stretching himself too thin trying to live the live of Matt Murdock and live the life of Daredevil. Hence, by the end of the season, he'd pretty much turned his back to his civilian life totally. He was doing exactly what Stick told him to do in the first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
And finally, too much Karen.
I don't have a problem with making Karen an integral part of the show, I'm just not happy that it's at the expense of Ben Urich.

javonstokess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #40
Nathan

I just have some minor nitpicks. I'm not a fan of our heroes having to find or being handed their iconic trademark weapons/equipment. Like Elektra not having her trademark sais, until she takes them from some run-of-the-mill Chaste Ninja. She could have had those since the beginning, but simply choose to not use them, because of Matt's no killing rule.

Or Frank just happening to stumble upon a hidden stash of weapons, that also has a black coat and bulletproof vest, which will become his trademark look.

It's the same thing I didn't like in the first Season. Matt runs around, taking thugs down at night, but he does it all barehanded, with no weapons, until Stick comes and gives him some wooden sticks.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #41
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I just have some minor nitpicks. I'm not a fan of our heroes having to find or being handed their iconic trademark weapons/equipment. Like Elektra not having her trademark sais, until she takes them from some run-of-the-mill Chaste Ninja. She could have had those since the beginning, but simply choose to not use them, because of Matt's no killing rule.

Or Frank just happening to stumble upon a hidden stash of weapons, that also has a black coat and bulletproof vest, which will become his trademark look.

It's the same thing I didn't like in the first Season. Matt runs around, taking thugs down at night, but he does it all barehanded, with no weapons, until Stick comes and gives him some wooden sticks.
Why don't you like it? Part of the story is how they become the characters we know and love. It's been told now and never needs to be told again. Next time you see punisher or elektra they will be what we are used to from the comics.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #42
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

I actually don't mind it. Sure, the billy clubs have a pretty cool origin in the comics but in the show he does train with them while being a kid. You could argue that he doesn't use them in season 1 because they remind him of Stick, someone who abandonded him, when Stick comes along though he realizes that he needs some kind of weapon.
Besides, he's just starting out so perhaps he would have come to that conclusion without Stick giving them to him.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #43
harryoscop
Banned User

Daredevil (attempted) killing Nobu

harryoscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #44
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
Why don't you like it? Part of the story is how they become the characters we know and love. It's been told now and never needs to be told again. Next time you see punisher or elektra they will be what we are used to from the comics.
Because I don't like them just stumbling over the stuff or getting handed down the things that defines them. Matt trained with Stick and trained in the use of batons. So why weren't those part of the things he ordered off of ebay? I'm totally fine with Melvin building him those awesome batons, with the wires that allow him to swing, but why did he have to wait 20 years for Stick to come back, before he started beating people up with more than fists? He was already ricocheting Flashlights off walls, but didn't think to maybe pick up a pair of sticks?

Same with Elektra. Sais are her weapon of choice. It's one of her trademarks. So why doesn't she already own a pair? I bet Elektra would have a whole collection of Sais. Why is it that she has to take them from a guy she just killed, and suddenly they become her favorite weapons?

And Frank couldn't have a black coat lying around in a trunk somewhere, dusting it off as he accepts his war isn't over. He takes the coat of a man he just killed.

I know we are watching these characters grow and turn into the characters we all know and love. But why can't they already possess the things that will define them? It would be like Spider-Man not actually building his own web-shooters, and someone just giving them to him. He is still gonna have his web-shooters, but it's not the same.

It may seem I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's just something that annoyed me.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #45
Justin
Side-Kick

Interesting. I really like Karen, very much so. Overall I liked this season a lot but there were some negatives.

- The ending was really pretty flat. The hand stuff seemed to come out of nowhere and none of the endings aside from maybe Frank's really had resolution.

- Fisk was the biggest villain in the show, which is bad because he was just a 2 episode cameo. While I'm really looking forward to his eventual return, the fact they brought him back rather than build up a new villain was a little disappointing but understandable given they were building up two new heroes instead.

- Daredevil often seemed like a third wheel in his own show.

- Daredevil was not as blind as he was in S1 or should be. It's his thing. They needed more of him feeling his way in fights and relying on his senses. S1 seemed to do this better iirc. We only really got the thing with the ninja's breaths at the end and it seemed like an afterthought. They write him as a hero and the blind thing is a 'oh yeah and he's blind' where as he should be written around being blind.

- The first four episodes were amazing then there was a quality drop. It peaked too soon.

Still great though.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #46
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
I thought the same thing last season, why the **** would they make the red suit if they're gonna use it for a few minutes? But then again, this season happened afterwards. It's a future investment I guess, because this is not the last we're gonna see from those characters.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #47
Sundancer
Cynicist

I didn't like the number of unanswered questions by the season finale.

Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #48
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Too much Karen Page. Black Sky still too vague. Nobu seemed weak.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #49
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

Missed how exhausted DD got during a long battle. That was the missing factor when they tried to recapture that one shot gaunlet hallway fight scene. I guess one can say he simply built stamina over time. Still I missed him barely being able to finish a fight.

X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #50
Whatupman
Side-Kick

Well, he was badly hurt before the one take fight in the first season, so that was a big reason to why he got so exhausted.