The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #601
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

I absolutely LOVED that short! I saw some comments on the EW website that were saying "it doesn't have enough Lois". I'm like "you know this video is about Superman, right? #kthxbye".

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #602
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Loved the short, I felt that Smallville was honored with the water tower with the show logo on it?
Yeah. It would've been hard to represent Welling's portrayal given that he only was shown with the \S/ on his chest for like 0.001% of the series.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #603
craigdbfan
Banned User

I loved the S:TAS segment.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #604
Sawyer
High King

Kinda wish Quitely's All Star Superman was in there. I mean, I'm sure you could go on all day about what artist's version/iteration of Supes might have been left out, but I really feel like All-Star was the Superman comic of the 21st century thus far.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #605
Spamtron
THE MAN

Kinda crazy 3 seconds towards the SR rendition isn't in there... pretty good short overall except for that omission. Agreed on red/blue Supes split comment, SR spot time could have easily replaced that obscure (not really critical to the character) part overall.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #606
Spade
Seeking new challengers

The New 52 part makes me hope a new cartoon is in the cards. I've been without a good Superman/Justice League cartoon for too long.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #607
roach
I am the night

There will be a new Justice League animated movie

Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #608
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
There will be a new Justice League animated movie
Yep! Justice League: War is set for release sometime in early 2014. Can't wait for this one!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...c-panel-recap/

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #609
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Yeah. It would've been hard to represent Welling's portrayal given that he only was shown with the \S/ on his chest for like 0.001% of the series.
They could've shown an animated Welling with the trademark Red Jacket/Blue Shirt and Jeans look(below) and having him running and super-speeding before flying up into the sky and becoming new 52 Superman though.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #610
roach
I am the night

They wanted to include everything but couldn't that's why LnC, SR and Smallville didn't make the cut

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #611
JaD
Thriller Night

Did anyone know besides the Wayne Enterprises logo, there's a "Keep Calm and Call Batman" poster in MoS?

I just verified this just now with my own copy of MoS as well, mind is blown

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #612
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Mind = Blown

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #613
J.Howlett

In the STRONG CHARACTERS, LEGENDARY ROLES featurettes on the Blu-Ray, Russell Crowe had some interesting comments about the how of Jor-El and his purpose for his son. To quote him, "Jor-El's a bit mad."

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #614
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Wow, just saw this film on Bluray. That was fantastic. It felt a little too fast-paced for me and I couldn't breathe much but wow, what a thrill ride.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #615
roach
I am the night

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-more-20130619

In the film, you'll recall that Amy Adams' Lois Lane leaks her story about Superman to a rogue, random blogger named Glen Woodburn. But as Goyer shares, he actually wanted to use someone from the DC-verse.

"[Glen's name is an] 'All The President's Men' reference for sure. I wanted that character to be Jack Ryder, but DC comics wouldn't let us do it," the screenwriter explained. "I don't remember the issue that stopped it from happening, I think it was a rights thing, but we only found out three weeks before production started so we had to think quick. I wasn't going to go for [sometime Batman love interest] Vicki Vale, but I was desperate to come up with a new character that would work. In the end, this is how it happened, and we got to have fun with the Wikileaks thing too."

In case you wondering, Jack Ryder is also known as The Creeper, a Gotham City reporter turned superhero, who fights in the same masquerade party costume he wore the night he was injected, against his will, with a serum giving him the powers he now possesses. In one stretch of comics, he actually used to date Vicki Vale, and more intriguingly, in another run of stories, Lex Luthor runs a public campaign to convince citizens that people with powers are alien invaders, leading to Ryder's imprisonment. But generally, The Creeper is a villain for Superman and it's yet another doorway left open for future films. But as Goyer notes, most of what he wrote wound up in the film.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #616
Super Kal
Proud Conservative

i feel the same way... some of the drawbacks of this movie is indeed how it was filmed...

i understand the reason behind why Snyder wanted to film it the way he did (to have that handheld feel to it, an "I'm right there in the fray" feeling), but it doesn't transfer to blu-ray all too well. the zooming into the picture is still distracting and disappointing.

hopefully for the next movie, when it comes to cinematography and filming, Snyder gives it a more grounded and solid feel- more still filming sequences rather than jerky film sequences. that's a big part of this that is a disappointment. i still love the movie, but this is only one of the things that i now see that hindered this movie from being better.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #617
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

As much as I love this movie, and believe me it's a considerable amount, I must agree. Whenever I first heard Snyder was directing, I was most excited about how he would bring his visual flair to superman. MOS was beautiful IMO, but I think it would have benefitted from a more traditional Snyder approach, as many in here have already stated. Having said that, I can't wait to get my hands on the blu ray.

Romans 8:38-39
"The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy."
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #618
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Yeah, I felt a bit dizzy after watching. I wanted more slow shots and stuff. But I loved the film overall. Just needed it to calm down a bit in terms of pacing.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #619
John Lambert
Side-Kick

I am glad to see someone acknowledge Woodburn as an "All the President's Men" reference.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #620
DarthDorranceBane
Side-Kick

The Supermen? featured in the short:

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #621
JaD
Thriller Night

I wish they could have had Brandon Routh's Supes walking into that machine gun fire from SR, it couldn't have been that hard to include, could it? Nevertheless, a terrific short.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #622
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i feel the same way... some of the drawbacks of this movie is indeed how it was filmed...

i understand the reason behind why Snyder wanted to film it the way he did (to have that handheld feel to it, an "I'm right there in the fray" feeling), but it doesn't transfer to blu-ray all too well. the zooming into the picture is still distracting and disappointing.

hopefully for the next movie, when it comes to cinematography and filming, Snyder gives it a more grounded and solid feel- more still filming sequences rather than jerky film sequences. that's a big part of this that is a disappointment. i still love the movie, but this is only one of the things that i now see that hindered this movie from being better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
As much as I love this movie, and believe me it's a considerable amount, I must agree. Whenever I first heard Snyder was directing, I was most excited about how he would bring his visual flair to superman. MOS was beautiful IMO, but I think it would have benefitted from a more traditional Snyder approach, as many in here have already stated. Having said that, I can't wait to get my hands on the blu ray.
I wrote this on the blu ray thread, but yeah try taking screenshots of the movie and you will realize almost every second frame is blurry or out of focus.

Snyder is actually known for his beautifully composed tableau-y shots from 300 and Watchmen, its unfortunate that he abandoned that style to go for realism which simply meant shaky cam.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #623
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanNeverTells View Post
The Supermen? featured in the short:

again, superman returns was ignored... intentionally. i don't like that.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #624
roach
I am the night

I don't think it was intentional...there are so many artists and film verisons that all of them couldnt be put in.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #625
batfreakforever
A real fan

Maybe they just kept in the Supermen that have made a massive inpact in film, I don't know. Anyway i love it, I hope they do a Batman short soon.

Closed Thread